York Region

York Region Employee Reviews in York, ON

Enjoyable workplace, collaborative environment , reasonable pay . Difficult to manage work life balance around casual schedule. Good management and workplace culture.
Good people. Culture is not very good at all. Not a lot of advancement or opportunity to grow. Management and staff feel siloed - not collaborative.
The regional municipality of york provided great benefits that were 100% paid for by the organization; which these days is unheard of. It is a unionized environment (other then HR/management) so advancements can be few and far between and working between management and the unionized staff can be a difficult process. Very well paid jobs and movement up the salary grid through a dedicated performance review process (bonuses for non-union staff
Pros
benefits, salary
Cons
Union/management conflicts
York Region taught me that, when you work hard but don't get a good review, get out. I hope you work for better managers than I worked for. I like to think the good managers outweigh the bad.
No free coffees in East Gwillingbury location, people there are very mixed, few people work very hard, no near restaurants, salary is fair, office is far
Excellent. They are invested in their employees. Not your typical, do nothing government. Very efficient and hardworking environment but the pay is reflective. Lots of room to grow.
Pros
Opportunity
Cons
Travel
Great workplace with awesome people. Learned a lot from all my coworkers. Everyone is very helpful and very friendly. The facilities are beautiful and the benefits and salary is very generous.
I'd go in, get to my desk, take my time to get my work done. People only bother you when they need updates but other than that you are free to work on what you want and as comfortably as you want. People are always in good moods. And there's a tiny gym!
Pros
Gym! Long Lunch! Coffee Club!
Cons
Out of the way office locations...
The orgnsation is a great one to work with including great support from colleagues, peers and managers. Great software and good technologies are used in the region/\.
Payroll - salary and benefits are good Work/Life balance - can be quite good Culture - senior management try to promote a healthy work environment with room to grow Typical though (for this department) - Do not stay in one position for more than 2 years or you will be typecast in your role. Management does not encourage any type of career growth and external hires fill the majority of new hires. Any expressed dissatisfaction with the ability to take internal courses, take on additional responsibilities or new roles is not addressed in any meaningful way. There are too many management levels and not enough review of the "work" that management is doing. More areas should have 360 feedback reviews; senior management should act on those reviews and have strict and thorough follow up to ensure that real change occurs.
Pros
co-workers are good; pay and benefits are good
Cons
poor management
I worked at Regional Municipality of York through Agency. Covered for a person who went on sick leave. She came back and hence my contract ended. They wanted me to come back but I already started working for Nordson Canada Limited and I could not leave.
Pros
Would have been good if it was a permanent job
Cons
Public Transportation was not available
A nice work experience with friendly and supportive staff. Great work environment at the new Property Services building, all new building with lots of space.
A place where employees are provided with tools to sharpen their skills. The employer provides ample training and development opportunities. Employer of choice with a respectful work environment.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No bonus
A typical day involves checking emails by going through and putting like emails together, if it is necessary to calculate retro pay do so in preparation for the upcoming payroll run. I learnt a few more programs that are in PS that I did not know before. Did not find any part of the job hard I ennjoyed every moment of it.
Pros
1 hour for lunch, able to get home early enough
Cons
Long commute
Management was supportive in my desire to advance within the organization. I was able to pursue my goals to enter a Human Resources role as Recruiter.
The salary and benefits are industry leaders but there is a reason for that. The organization has to many managers that spend to much time trying to justify their positions. The end result is that the average employee suffers. The commissioner came from the private sector and new Director the same, result? Neanderthal thinking, ie; operations switched to 24/7 schedule. 12 hour shifts 7 days a week. They think there is a cost savings, trust me, no cost savings, 40 hour work week spread out into 168 hour work week with 40 hours of work. Other municipalities have tried it but found that it wasn't feasible. Unfortunately management is more concerned about there own vertical movement in the organization to voice a dissenting opinion, the end result is the workers affected by this decision have there lives turned upside down. I have seen management scramble to clean up operations centre, spending tens of thousands of dollars to impress the local councillors on there visit during public works day. Council is being hoodwinked by the current management team, too much waste and stupid new initiatives that do nothing but pump up managements ego. One more thing, if management doesn't like you, they will find a way to get rid of you. I have seen this done too many times to some very talented employees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor management
It was a pleasure to work with York Region and I look forward to future opportunities to go back. They had flexible work weeks but also offered set hours. They provided us with the necessary tools that we needed to get our job completed. Staff were friendly and facilitated a learning environment.
Ability to learn as part of a team and contribute to a variety of communications projects.
Excellent benefits and salary, not much room for advancement. Typical day started in office for 1 hour then out in the field for the remainder of the day, interacting with the public. Little management required, a lot of independence to complete your tasks and assignments. Co-workers were excellent. Top 100 employers in province.
Pros
Freedom to set your own day's assignments
Cons
little to no advancement