York Region
Happiness score is 57 out of 100

York Region Employee Reviews

Canada66 reviews

Great please to work

Great management and great colleagues. Plenty of room to advance. Offer great work life balance. When you work for a non profit it’s awesome knowing everyday you make positive difference in peoples lives.

Covid-19 Booking

Booked vaccination appointments across the GTA.Positive workplace, great team work and leadership.Excellent communicationAlways staff available to assist and give feedbackProfessional employees

Insights into York Region

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

excellent experience

worked in COVID mass immunization clinics, some room for growth, but contract extensions are last minute. overall, the team and work is excellent, too bad its contract

Pros

great team, work life balance

Cons

contract work (less security)

Would not recommend

Very low pay and poor management, unfortunately. But overall has good programs and events for employees. Cares about diversity and inclusion. Is a good place to expand your network.

Cons

Low pay

Great place to work :)

I worked at York Region for 16 years I would still be working there but I moved to far away. The benefits and vacation are good and you work with great people :)

Overall great place to work.

Pros:Opportunities to interview for other departmentsManagers are usually responsive and easy to communicate withStaff are supportivework culture is relaxedOpportunites for training Cons- Can be high stress if department operates 24/7- Upper management is not typically open to suggestions- During Covid schedules changed to mandatory weekends on a rotating schedule with days off in the middle of the week. Weekends off were approx. every 6 weeks.

Work place culture needs improvement

People who haven’t changed jobs in over 10 years are difficult to work with and the workplace culture doesn’t support any changes in this regard. Also it is not a diverse place

Pros

Salary

Cons

People and attitudes

Too many managers/bosses

The work and co-workers are great! , Pay and benefits are decent. This could be an amazing workplace, however... It's sickening how top heavy this organization is. There are way too many managers and they just keep dreaming up more and more management or supervisor positions. They also seem to be really good at making poor decisions, wasting money, destroying worker moral, lowering efficiency.Take management out of the equation and this place becomes an amazing place to work!!

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Productive and Collaborative with a dedicated team of professionals

The days were busy working in the office and directly with clients. Being able to manage your time was very important! There is opportunity for advancement.

Pros

Individual case loads and great team members to share collaboration and ideas!

Cons

Long hours some days!

Great work environment. Not as challenging as private sector but good work-life balance.

Got a good variety of work to do. Upper management was respectful and never felt overbearing. Lots of extra activities and initiatives provided by weekly employee e-mail newsletter. Good student support structure.

I enjoyed my time working at York Region.

The staff were a cohesive group. The structure as a part time immunization nurse worked well. The autonomy was appreciated. The scheduling coordinator was very good at her job and tried to keep everyone’s needs in mind. I was surprised to see 2 managers let go in my time there.

Good people - questionable culture

Good people. Culture is not very good at all. Not a lot of advancement or opportunity to grow. Management and staff feel siloed - not collaborative.

It was a good experience

As a coop student, I learnt a lot and enjoyed my time at York Region. The environment is calm and quiet Everyone was nice and kind. They were always ready to help and you'll always be greeted with a smile

Great Employer

York Region is a great employer that offers many different career opportunities. The salaries they offer are high and they also have comprehensive benefits packages.

Great place

Nothing bad to say other than long term employees are out of touch with reality and shouldn’t complain as much as they do. Benefits and pay are excellent.

No Complaints

Was only here for 4 months but I enjoyed it. Ran into the odd big ego government worker but for the most part everyone was friendly and pleasant to work with

Fun workplace

Enjoyable workplace, collaborative environment , reasonable pay . Difficult to manage work life balance around casual schedule. Good management and workplace culture.

Excellent benefits and some opportunity for advancement

The regional municipality of york provided great benefits that were 100% paid for by the organization; which these days is unheard of. It is a unionized environment (other then HR/management) so advancements can be few and far between and working between management and the unionized staff can be a difficult process. Very well paid jobs and movement up the salary grid through a dedicated performance review process (bonuses for non-union staff

Pros

benefits, salary

Cons

Union/management conflicts

Good pay

Great pay, days feel long even though its usually less than 40 hours a week of work. Given good projects to work on but I would have liked it more if they had a more fun team environment.

Productive and fun place

It was a great place to work. I was exposed to many new things and had a lot to learn. The people were really nice there and it was a fun learning experience.

Don't trust your manager too much

York Region taught me that, when you work hard but don't get a good review, get out. I hope you work for better managers than I worked for. I like to think the good managers outweigh the bad.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at York Region. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement