York Region Employee Reviews

Management not held to standards
Accounting (Current Employee) –  York Region14 February 2018
Payroll - salary and benefits are good
Work/Life balance - can be quite good
Culture - senior management try to promote a healthy work environment with room to grow

Typical though (for this department) - Do not stay in one position for more than 2 years or you will be typecast in your role. Management does not encourage any type of career growth and external hires fill the majority of new hires. Any expressed dissatisfaction with the ability to take internal courses, take on additional responsibilities or new roles is not addressed in any meaningful way.

There are too many management levels and not enough review of the "work" that management is doing. More areas should have 360 feedback reviews; senior management should act on those reviews and have strict and thorough follow up to ensure that real change occurs.
Pros
co-workers are good; pay and benefits are good
Cons
poor management
Fun workplace, fun people, good salary and benefits
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, ON7 June 2018
Great workplace with awesome people. Learned a lot from all my coworkers. Everyone is very helpful and very friendly. The facilities are beautiful and the benefits and salary is very generous.
Good work environment and compensation
Area Forester (Current Employee) –  York, ON21 February 2018
York Region is a good place to work, with positive work culture and very good compensation and security (unionized); however management can be less positive, and advancement opportunities are limited.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Opportunities for advancement
Friendly and productive environment
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON3 January 2019
Everyone I worked with was extremely friendly and helpful. The work was often challenging but rewarding. Management was always pleasant to deal with .
Enjoy education clients
PHN (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON27 September 2018
York Region sets a vision for improving and transforming the way we serve our clients every step of the way. The client is able to receive great support.
Great Benefits
Tobacco Education and Control Officer (Former Employee) –  York Region11 July 2013
Excellent benefits and salary, not much room for advancement.

Typical day started in office for 1 hour then out in the field for the remainder of the day, interacting with the public.
Little management required, a lot of independence to complete your tasks and assignments.
Co-workers were excellent.
Top 100 employers in province.

Pros
Freedom to set your own day's assignments
Cons
little to no advancement
Positive Environment
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  York, ON16 July 2018
Excellent. They are invested in their employees. Not your typical, do nothing government. Very efficient and hardworking environment but the pay is reflective. Lots of room to grow.
Pros
Opportunity
Cons
Travel
Excellent Finance Experience
Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON6 May 2018
Lots to learn, great budget and finance experience. Long periods of very slow paced work. Outdated programs used for many tasks. Culture was very friendly and welcoming. Hardest part of the job was finding things to do during slow periods.
Management Top Heavy
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  York Region29 July 2016
The salary and benefits are industry leaders but there is a reason for that. The organization has to many managers that spend to much time trying to justify their positions. The end result is that the average employee suffers. The commissioner came from the private sector and new Director the same, result? Neanderthal thinking, ie; operations switched to 24/7 schedule. 12 hour shifts 7 days a week. They think there is a cost savings, trust me, no cost savings, 40 hour work week spread out into 168 hour work week with 40 hours of work. Other municipalities have tried it but found that it wasn't feasible. Unfortunately management is more concerned about there own vertical movement in the organization to voice a dissenting opinion, the end result is the workers affected by this decision have there lives turned upside down. I have seen management scramble to clean up operations centre, spending tens of thousands of dollars to impress the local councillors on there visit during public works day. Council is being hoodwinked by the current management team, too much waste and stupid new initiatives that do nothing but pump up managements ego. One more thing, if management doesn't like you, they will find a way to get rid of you. I have seen this done too many times to some very talented employees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor management
Relaxing but productive place to work! Friendly people, chill!
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  York, ON16 April 2018
I'd go in, get to my desk, take my time to get my work done. People only bother you when they need updates but other than that you are free to work on what you want and as comfortably as you want. People are always in good moods. And there's a tiny gym!
Pros
Gym! Long Lunch! Coffee Club!
Cons
Out of the way office locations...
Great people
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON12 May 2018
The people there are very nice to work with, very positive and lots of activities to get involved in. The work is meaningful and has impact. They are focused on innovative ideas in government.
Pros
New, well designed building and the people are great to work with.
Cons
Not well connected to the major cities. Most likely a commute for anyone.
Caution
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON11 April 2018
The culture tolerates harassment and the leadership is aware of it. Confidentiality, integrity and respect are not leveraged as per the organization's values.
fun and supportive work place
Early intervention services (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON10 April 2016
I have worked there for 10 years, salary and benefits are good. Enjoy the job, training opportunities and challenges I can apply for to further develop my skills.
Very enjoyable with great co-workers.
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON1 May 2018
My experience at the York Region was very enjoyable. The people you get to work with are great and the wage you get paid is great. I would highly recommend working there.
Excellent salary and benefits package
Programs & Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maple, Ontario16 September 2014
Large employer with excellent salary and benefits package.
An organisation that provides true work life balance
Statistical Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  York, ON3 October 2017
A place where employees are provided with tools to sharpen their skills. The employer provides ample training and development opportunities. Employer of choice with a respectful work environment.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No bonus
Organized workplace
Info Tech (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON18 January 2018
Great learning opportunity and a very supportive environment. Has great training and opportunity for professional development. Very organized and forward thinking organization.
Review of York region
Business Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  York, ON14 February 2018
The orgnsation is a great one to work with including great support from colleagues, peers and managers. Great software and good technologies are used in the region/\.
Offered some of my best opportunities in any of my jobs
Planning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON13 November 2012
I mostly carried out my assigned research projects independently. The projects turned out to be among my greatest professional achievements in my young career. The products developed in those projects continue to be used and referred to today.

I learned about key trends in my profession, and how to plan out projects.

My supervisors provide strong guidance on projects. They are also very personable and I enjoyed their hospitality in house parties.

Co-workers are friendly and helpful. It is very easy to ask for help.

Hardest Part - Long commute (I spent 2 hours by bus each way),
Enjoyable Part - Working on important projects.
Pros
working on some of my most memorable projects, attending house parties hosted by staff
Cons
long commute
Worked through Agency
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  York, ON11 November 2017
I worked at Regional Municipality of York through Agency. Covered for a person who went on sick leave. She came back and hence my contract ended. They wanted me to come back but I already started working for Nordson Canada Limited and I could not leave.
Pros
Would have been good if it was a permanent job
Cons
Public Transportation was not available