York Region

York Region Employee Reviews

Canada59 reviews
Great work environment. Not as challenging as private sector but good work-life balance.
Got a good variety of work to do. Upper management was respectful and never felt overbearing. Lots of extra activities and initiatives provided by weekly employee e-mail newsletter. Good student support structure.
I refuse to give you this information. You can't make me, no no you can't. I will not tell you about it. This is a terrible model for your business. You are making this process very annoying.
I enjoyed my time working at York Region.
The staff were a cohesive group. The structure as a part time immunization nurse worked well. The autonomy was appreciated. The scheduling coordinator was very good at her job and tried to keep everyone’s needs in mind. I was surprised to see 2 managers let go in my time there.
Good people - questionable culture
Good people. Culture is not very good at all.

Not a lot of advancement or opportunity to grow. Management and staff feel siloed - not collaborative.
It was a good experience
As a coop student, I learnt a lot and enjoyed my time at York Region.
The environment is calm and quiet

Everyone was nice and kind. They were always ready to help and you'll always be greeted with a smile
Great Employer
York Region is a great employer that offers many different career opportunities. The salaries they offer are high and they also have comprehensive benefits packages.
Great place
Nothing bad to say other than long term employees are out of touch with reality and shouldn’t complain as much as they do. Benefits and pay are excellent.
No Complaints
Was only here for 4 months but I enjoyed it. Ran into the odd big ego government worker but for the most part everyone was friendly and pleasant to work with
Fun workplace
Enjoyable workplace, collaborative environment , reasonable pay . Difficult to manage work life balance around casual schedule. Good management and workplace culture.
Excellent benefits and some opportunity for advancement
The regional municipality of york provided great benefits that were 100% paid for by the organization; which these days is unheard of. It is a unionized environment (other then HR/management) so advancements can be few and far between and working between management and the unionized staff can be a difficult process.

Very well paid jobs and movement up the salary grid through a dedicated performance review process (bonuses for non-union staff
Pros
benefits, salary
Cons
Union/management conflicts
Good pay
Great pay, days feel long even though its usually less than 40 hours a week of work. Given good projects to work on but I would have liked it more if they had a more fun team environment.
Productive and fun place
It was a great place to work. I was exposed to many new things and had a lot to learn. The people were really nice there and it was a fun learning experience.
Don't trust your manager too much
York Region taught me that, when you work hard but don't get a good review, get out. I hope you work for better managers than I worked for. I like to think the good managers outweigh the bad.
Positive work environment where you learn everyday
Great place to work with great staff. Room for advancement for dedicated staff.

Several different areas to gain new experiences and further knowledge.
Cons
Seniority often over rides performance when applying for new positions.
Stay away from this politically correct over managed bloated organization
Terrible work environment. They like to keep everyone bubble wrapped. They don’t want anyone thinking for themselves or having an opinion. Too many managers and supervisors for so few workers. Management out of touch with operations side of things. No room for advancement. No permanent positions. Contract to contract. Do not waste your time.
Pros
Good hours.
Cons
Everything else
Amazing place to work
this is a great company to work for. They are kind and are always willing to help you push forward. The managers and staff are kind as well as willing to assist with anything you need.
Not bad
No free coffees in East Gwillingbury location, people there are very mixed, few people work very hard, no near restaurants, salary is fair, office is far
Friendly and productive environment
Everyone I worked with was extremely friendly and helpful. The work was often challenging but rewarding. Management was always pleasant to deal with .
Enjoy education clients
York Region sets a vision for improving and transforming the way we serve our clients every step of the way. The client is able to receive great support.
Positive Environment
Excellent. They are invested in their employees. Not your typical, do nothing government. Very efficient and hardworking environment but the pay is reflective. Lots of room to grow.
Pros
Opportunity
Cons
Travel
Fun workplace, fun people, good salary and benefits
Great workplace with awesome people. Learned a lot from all my coworkers. Everyone is very helpful and very friendly. The facilities are beautiful and the benefits and salary is very generous.