YORK REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

YORK REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

I alway felt a high level sense of security with this employer.

My personality was/is suited to cleaning and maintaining whatever is my charge, and this job challenged me in that way. I always wanted to make the environment clean and comfortable to work in for all.

Pros

A no pressure, friendly environment with many opportunities for advancement

Cons

Often, there is a noticeable lack respect for their environment by all parties.

Not enough support from management

I started out my first year as a Special Education Resource Teacher with only about six months of supply teaching experience. I was not assigned a mentor teacher as was usually the case with first year teachers. As far as the paperwork went, I was given a certain amount of assistance from the principal. However, at the beginning of my second year in this position, the principal was replaced, and I was given little or no assistance with any aspect of my job. I repeatedly asked for help with one particular part of my job from head office, but to no avail. Then, when it came time for reviews, I was given very lukewarm reports, and the lack of assistance on the part of the Board was never acknowledged. My self esteem suffered a great deal on this job and it took many years to get over this experience after having worked there for four years under these conditions.

Pros

The staff were very pleasant.

Cons

The management at the school and the Board were not supportive.

Great starting place but hard to get permanent

Go to work and the students are great.Dealing with many personalities with different experiences. Lots of politics amongst the schools. Working with aggressive students and put on duty all day. Breaks and lunches are during class time and that’s when students need the most support.

Pros

Hours

Cons

Upper management micromanage and have no respect for frontline staff.

Honestly a good job

I would stay and do this job only thing is... THEY DON’T CARE ABOUT SINGLE MOTHERS. Very easy accommodations that they wont do. Easy as in put me in a school close to my child's daycare.. i have no one else to help.. apparently they can’t guarantee a location...

Pros

Benefits and pension

Cons

Rotational shifts

Worked at both YCDSB and YRDSB

I was educated in the public school system. I have worked in both the public and separate school systems. I found that the Catholic board had move of an atmosphere which I was looking for. When I taught at the public school, it was a job. I went to work each day. When I taught at the Catholic school, I went into a community and it was more than just work. I appreciated the faith dimension which allowed us to celebrate God in our lives while we taught, while we competed in sports, while we took field trips, while we celebrated events in the calendar.

Pros

resources

Cons

business like community

Great place

Nice working environment and culture. The working load depends sometimes slow but it also have the time very stressful and fast-paced. It is hard to say the job is secured because there are limited position for each role and the pay is always the same and difficult to get significant improvement in short period of time.

Pros

Friendly coworkers

Cons

Hard to get promoted

A great board to work within.

YRDSB challenges both educators and students to be ready to be meaningful members of their global community. YRDSB are pioneers in relevant methodology to teaching and learning.

Pros

Lots of Professional Development Opportunities

Cons

Takes time to find a work/life balance

Very inclusive company.

I have been working for YRDSB for 4 years. I think they are very fair when looking at wages, job opportunities and benefits. It is a very fast paced job but it is very rewarding.

Great place to work for

great to work for york region as a student shuttle driver. just need to ensure you are on time at the pickup location. students can sometimes be late for the pickup.

Overall Like anyplace it has the good and the bad

The rewarding part of the job is the positive impact that you can make on the students. The problems it the politics that some how involve you in the workforce and at times possible issues with colleagues.

Enough with the reviews

You go to work you clean rooms you learn about chemicals you have to clean toilets you sit around a lot benefits are alright pay doesn't really match the job

A good place to work with a good support system and fair treatment and opportunities for advancement. Training provided is appropriate to the expectation of the job duties.

Pros

Opportunities for advancement

Cons

Pay could be more conducive to the cost of living in the area

Excellent work place

Great work culture. Everyone is very helpful. Professional environment, learned different techniques to promote active learning, viz. individualized instruction, problem-solving assignments, small group work.

The teaching staff was excellent

It is a wonderful place to do your teaching practicum. The students I worked with were adaptability to the teaching and learning environment. They were ready each week to learn and bring to the learning environment with varying experiences. .

A good place to work

I found YRDSB to be a good employer who provides excellent benefits to their employees as well as a secure employment opportunity. Advancement is available for those who seek it within the organization.

A big responsibility in supporting the safety and well-being of students.

I enjoy to spend time with students...its good experience to me too meet and communicate with student and teachers from different backgrounds...the health , happiness and safety of the students are primary school assistant's concern.

Great people, great students

It is a great experience joining the YRDSB. I work with one of the best Site Administrators in town, and whenever I need support, they are there for me. Teachers mostly doing their own planning etc, although most of the time teachers know each other because they have been teaching on the same site for a long time. I am still considered a new teacher, so I don't really know other teachers. This is not a problem because most of them are very nice. Just like any other afterschool program, don't expect students to be all attentive when they come into class, but as long as you can catch their attention, they can learn well.

Pros

Easy teaching environment

productive and fun

At York region district school board the environment was very fun but also hard working and fast paced. I learned patience and time management here as a junior counselor.

Management is useless in plant services sofs most of them AMO dont care about anything. Poor moral and no one cares.

Stay away from caretaking and maintenance. Horrible pay no raises not even cost of living. Benefits are ok not bad Pension is sub par but it's a pension. 23 dollars an hour is pretty pathic.

Excellent union

The work cleaning the school's us stable ! The environment and staff are great , and we always get the same pay. The schedules and good ! My work has taught me many new cleaning and organizational abilities , I have improved on. The work is lyrically busy enough and keeps us busy because we're standing on our feet .fee

Yrd

Was great. they are fast paced but very diligent. they are very organized. they are a very inclusive school division. they teach respect and have ruled set in place.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YORK REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8Job security/advancement