YORK REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD
Happiness score is 66 out of 100

YORK REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Canada136 reviews

boardyorkschoolstudentregionteacherchildsummer

Overall good place to work

Over all it’s a good place to work, the pay for ISW (EA) is higher than other boards near by. Not really any room for advancement unless you obtain more schooling. You’re off during March break, summer and Christmas break but you have to go on EI or work a second job.

Pros

Monday-Friday, rewarding work with children, higher up than other boards

Cons

No advancement, EI for school breaks

Varies with work location

This job can be rewarding, thanks to helpful colleagues. Workplace culture is great within the schools, but this varies depending on who is in admin. positions.

Pros

Rewarding to know that you are helping children learn.

Cons

Confusing internal website

Insights into YORK REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues

Productive place to work and various opportunities

I've been with YRDSB for about 7 years. I still not permanent, which is why I gave them 4 stars. I go above and beyond at work and would be nice to have permanent job security.

From a caretakers perspective

Working as a caretaker at the school board is pretty easy but monotonous. Room to move up if you have ambition. Comfortable if you’re looking to semi-retire

Great place to work!

As an Educator in Full Day Kindergarten, YRDSB is a great company to work for. You will have the opportunity to collaboratively work alongside your teaching partner in order to implement the curriculum in a play based manner. You will work closely with students and their families and must be comfortable observing and documenting objectively.

Developmental Support Worker - on-call

It's a flexible job if you're supplying. The environment really depends on which school you are in. However, there is a shortage of staff in most schools so there are a lot of busy days in certain places. The kids are always great, but they do go through tough times sometimes and it can be hard to handle a situation especially if you're only there for a day.

Bitter Sweet

The benefits of the YRDSB are just that, the benefits. You can sleep at night knowing that your job unionized and secure and that every paycheque you invest into your pension.Just know that as a support staff you are not making a reasonable salary and it is extremely competitive to move upwards. Pick your locations wisely !

Pros

Benefit program

Cons

EA salary

caretaker

The Job is great, but the work is sucks. Lots of time off, but high risk of injuries both small, nagging ones to more serious ones.You will work both high schools and elementary schools, and both have their challenges from small kid messes to big kid vandalism. Good benefits and wage is ok, but no real promotions available.

the wages are not keeping up

i like my job here honestly i like the people working around the kids a our tasks are all ok but it doesnt pay the bills anymore im a "lead" caretaker so almosted maxed my salary without going to management and i make barely 1400 every 2 weeks if you're single person you will not be able to pay rent and bills

Pros

good job good vacation good support its fun

Cons

low pay, working rotating shifts no room to move up

Community Class, good team work !

The team work enviroment in the community class is most of the time a great place to be, the communication between the Teacher and the Educational Assistants made a good place for work, and to assist the students with the learning process .

Productive and fun workplace

As a hands on person I really enjoy working on different styles/eras environmental building equipment and with so many different people at each facility the learning opertunities are endless

Good experience

Good experience, have to be flexible you may be doing bus duty instead if health related care. Teaching staff and principals very welcoming, pay rate for casual staff in EA category should be better compensated.

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Low pay for casual staff

Ok place to work

The benefits and time off are great especially if you have young kids. You get to meet some great coworkers and awesome children but unless you are a high ranking teacher or in a higher position you don't always get tested the best.

Schools are well equipped; HR works more like a corporation than an educational institution

School principals and local administration are very professional, helpful, and proactive. The School Board Administration, on the other hand, is inflexible and impersonal. The work environment is top-down from Senior Administration to teachers who, as the main stakeholders, deserve to be consulted more.

Pros

Good salaries, schools are well equipped, students are engaged and well-behaved for the most part

Cons

School Board Administration does not consult teachers: too top-down for an educational institution

A wide variety of assignments and placements depending on your background and interests in education.

Overall great work environment working with students and staff in a variety of educational settings. Assignments maybe in elementary or secondary school settings and involved working with mainstream students as well as special needs students.

Pros

Flexibility in hours of work and locations.

Cons

Long commute to assignments. Phone calls continually when off duty for future assignments.

Overworked and under appreciated.

I found the job description and my role to be very different. I accepted the role because I wanted to assist in behavior management planning and creating materials to support student learning. I only worked 1-1 with students, and was constantly called to crisis calls for students I did not know.

Pros

Good hours, friendly staff.

Cons

Low pay (on EI during school closures).

I alway felt a high level sense of security with this employer.

My personality was/is suited to cleaning and maintaining whatever is my charge, and this job challenged me in that way. I always wanted to make the environment clean and comfortable to work in for all.

Pros

A no pressure, friendly environment with many opportunities for advancement

Cons

Often, there is a noticeable lack respect for their environment by all parties.

Not enough support from management

I started out my first year as a Special Education Resource Teacher with only about six months of supply teaching experience. I was not assigned a mentor teacher as was usually the case with first year teachers. As far as the paperwork went, I was given a certain amount of assistance from the principal. However, at the beginning of my second year in this position, the principal was replaced, and I was given little or no assistance with any aspect of my job. I repeatedly asked for help with one particular part of my job from head office, but to no avail. Then, when it came time for reviews, I was given very lukewarm reports, and the lack of assistance on the part of the Board was never acknowledged. My self esteem suffered a great deal on this job and it took many years to get over this experience after having worked there for four years under these conditions.

Pros

The staff were very pleasant.

Cons

The management at the school and the Board were not supportive.

Great starting place but hard to get permanent

Go to work and the students are great.Dealing with many personalities with different experiences. Lots of politics amongst the schools. Working with aggressive students and put on duty all day. Breaks and lunches are during class time and that’s when students need the most support.

Pros

Hours

Cons

Upper management micromanage and have no respect for frontline staff.

Honestly a good job

I would stay and do this job only thing is... THEY DON’T CARE ABOUT SINGLE MOTHERS. Very easy accommodations that they wont do. Easy as in put me in a school close to my child's daycare.. i have no one else to help.. apparently they can’t guarantee a location...

Pros

Benefits and pension

Cons

Rotational shifts

Worked at both YCDSB and YRDSB

I was educated in the public school system. I have worked in both the public and separate school systems. I found that the Catholic board had move of an atmosphere which I was looking for. When I taught at the public school, it was a job. I went to work each day. When I taught at the Catholic school, I went into a community and it was more than just work. I appreciated the faith dimension which allowed us to celebrate God in our lives while we taught, while we competed in sports, while we took field trips, while we celebrated events in the calendar.

Pros

resources

Cons

business like community

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YORK REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement