YORK REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Exciting learning environment
French-Immersion Occasional Teacher (Current Employee) –  York Region Schools20 February 2019
My typical day starts one hour before the students arrive to school and ends one or two hours after the students are gone. Time flies as I am swimming in work all day long. I go from teaching a subject, to meeting a parent in this office at lunch time to a staff meeting after work and finally to correcting and preparing for the next day. Teachers attend mandatory and voluntary information sessions; learn new computer programs, and new methods of teaching. Management is usually very supportive and helpful. Some of my colleagues were simply priceless: from helping me find resources using the Internet to re-explaining the teachers' evaluation process and the paperwork involved in the presentation of such an evaluation. The workplace culture was one of collaboration, respect, and helping each other. The hardest part of the job was to try to find time and energy to socialize. The most enjoyable part of the work is that teaching provides opportunities to change lives.
Pros
Teachers make work a great place to be.
Cons
Exhausting workload
i need a job
Student Assets Coach (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON8 January 2019
i need a job so i can get a job and make money and be successful. I am good at finding facts, remebering gfacyts, and so forth. I hope to one day be successful even though right now I am not,
Childhood educator
Designated Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON8 December 2018
Planning for and providing education to students in kindergarten, Observe, monitoring and assessing the development of students in kindergarten. Maintaining a healthy physical, emotional and social learning environment.
Summer Student Caretaker
Summer Student Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON18 November 2018
Overall I enjoyed it. Minimum wage, 40h a week with weekends off. Everything I was looking for in a summer job.
The over caretakers are very welcoming making it a good working environment.
OT Review
Occasional Teacher, York Region, Ontario (Current Employee) –  York, ON8 October 2018
Just started with York Region District School Board. I get called everyday. Staff at all schools are really friendly. As an OT you have access to 2 paid PD's a year.
Great place for placement
Child and Youth Worker Practicum (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON16 September 2018
Awesome place to learn skills important for future career. Able to use skills that may have been studied in post secondary education. Professional environment and stable job
basic overview of job
Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON10 July 2018
ok job. Management could have been better. Not a lot of room for advancement. Benefits were terrible. Overall, decent job out of University. Glad I moved on though
Supply DECE (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON1 July 2018
It's a different school everyday! But I had an LTO position and it was a great experience. Going to different schools, I learn new strategies, coping tools etc.
Teacher's Life
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON26 June 2018
Hard to establish a work-life balance with marking, planning, assessing, prepping. Good opportunities for furthering knowledge and skills. Lots of burn out in this career working with kids all day, then going home and doing more work.
Pros
Students; Pay; Benefits; Summer/Vacation
Cons
Work-Life Balance is null; Burn out
Productive, Challenging, Growth-oriented
School Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON27 May 2018
Good place to start or be until retirement, especially for returning to work for moms, homemakers, etc. Takes care of its employees with good benefits.
Pros
Growth, free courses/training
Cons
Culture, attitudes
Friendly people to work with
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON18 May 2018
Great team to work with every day. Very caring environment with work home balance.
Work challenges when dealing with the public and trying to be a dipolmatic problem solver.
Good hours and nice environment
Summer Student Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON17 May 2018
Employment was good, loved the people that I worked with and the people that oversaw me during the summer months. None of the tasks are crazy demanding.
Pros
Nothing too taxing
Cons
Lawn care in 30 degree Celsius temperatures
great place to work
Assistant for theDevelopmentally Handicap (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON17 April 2018
Amazing place to work with a welcoming environment. Great place to expand your skills and evolve further within the organization. Benefits and pension are a fantastic addition!
Severely under compensated, very political atmosphere
Network Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON12 April 2018
Some positions within the board are very well compensated, others are very much below average. Beware of what position you are applying for, what is listed on the job application vs actual daily duties. Benefits are on par with corporate positions. Politically charged environment, can get "black listed" pretty easily.
Pros
Summer hours, job security
Cons
Pay, advancement opportunities, political environment
Great Summer Student Job
Payroll Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON14 March 2018
I absolutely loved working here as a Summer Student while in post secondary school. The work is enjoyable, you have three day weekends during the summer, the pay is reasonable, and it is a great learning experience. I loved my time here!
Pros
Great Environment, and great work/life balance
a fun place to work
Mandarin Instructor (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON1 February 2018
A very nice environment for the students who are interested in international languages. A lots of support from the administrators at school. The teachers are very well respected.
Decent career
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON17 January 2018
this is a pretty good job - growth is difficult. The beginning of the position can be challenging as there is no stability in the schools you get placed to.
York Region
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, ON8 January 2018
Very nice company to work for, received calls everyday and could cancel at reasonable time if necessary. Did not have one bad experience with any school I went to.
Pros
If you don't like a school you can take it off the list
Cons
highway traffic in the morning
Inclusive environment
Lunch Monitor (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON7 January 2018
The York Region Catholic School Board is a pleasure to work for in many ways. The staff is wonderful. The children are a joy to supervise. School is very nurturing.
Enjoyable Part
Senior Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON8 December 2017
I absolutely love working for the York Region District School Board
Everyone is so friendly, helpful and kind.
The community is so multicultural and welcoming.