YORK REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

YORK REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Canada92 reviews
A good place to work with a good support system and fair treatment and opportunities for advancement. Training provided is appropriate to the expectation of the job duties.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Pay could be more conducive to the cost of living in the area
Enough with the reviews
You go to work
you clean rooms

you learn about chemicals

you have to clean toilets

you sit around a lot

benefits are alright

pay doesn't really match the job
Excellent work place
Great work culture. Everyone is very helpful. Professional environment, learned different techniques to promote active learning, viz. individualized instruction, problem-solving assignments, small group work.
The teaching staff was excellent
It is a wonderful place to do your teaching practicum.

The students I worked with were adaptability to the teaching and learning environment. They were ready each week to learn and bring to the learning environment with varying experiences. .
A good place to work
I found YRDSB to be a good employer who provides excellent benefits to their employees as well as a secure employment opportunity. Advancement is available for those who seek it within the organization.
A big responsibility in supporting the safety and well-being of students.
I enjoy to spend time with students...its good experience to me too meet and communicate with student and teachers from different backgrounds...the health , happiness and safety of the students are primary school assistant's concern.
Great people, great students
It is a great experience joining the YRDSB. I work with one of the best Site Administrators in town, and whenever I need support, they are there for me. Teachers mostly doing their own planning etc, although most of the time teachers know each other because they have been teaching on the same site for a long time. I am still considered a new teacher, so I don't really know other teachers. This is not a problem because most of them are very nice. Just like any other afterschool program, don't expect students to be all attentive when they come into class, but as long as you can catch their attention, they can learn well.
Pros
Easy teaching environment
productive and fun
At York region district school board the environment was very fun but also hard working and fast paced. I learned patience and time management here as a junior counselor.
Management is useless in plant services sofs most of them AMO dont care about anything. Poor moral and no one cares.
Stay away from caretaking and maintenance. Horrible pay no raises not even cost of living.
Benefits are ok not bad

Pension is sub par but it's a pension.

23 dollars an hour is pretty pathic.
Excellent union
The work cleaning the school's us stable ! The environment and staff are great , and we always get the same pay. The schedules and good ! My work has taught me many new cleaning and organizational abilities , I have improved on. The work is lyrically busy enough and keeps us busy because we're standing on our feet .fee
Yrd
Was great. they are fast paced but very diligent. they are very organized. they are a very inclusive school division. they teach respect and have ruled set in place.
Great Job, Low Wage
The casual rate for a DECE is $17.96. That is $3.96 more than minimum wage and you are non stop all day, sometimes missing breaks. You have no benefits, sick days or job security. The chances of advancement are slim unless you get an LTO. If you can afford it, do it, the job is amazing and a lot better than child care, but hopefully you have a second income or you will struggle financially.
What I have learned
YRDSB has given me the opportunity to expand my experience in working with children with special needs. One of the greatest opportunities I've been provided with and I'm grateful.
Its like Highschool for adults
Temp Staff are treated like they do not exist and there is clear favouritism, even if it is not in the children's best interests. Disorganized and disrespectful coworkers.
Fun work environment
Loved working with the children
Learned CPR/First Aid and basic health and safety

Hours were good - people were friendly and helpful

Hardest part of the job was when the children were homesick.
YRDSB Secretary
Unfortunately being a school secretary does not provide the flexibility you would hope for. The job does not command the respect it deserves and is very low paying considering the demands and 3 times a year lay offs.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Often asked to complete jobs outside of your job description with no compensation
Awesome
YRDSB was very warm, and welcoming. I got the opportunity to work in Keswick and Sutton where the staff were extremely open to helping me learn and grow as an educator.
New and fun experience daily.
As a supply DECE, I assist the teacher in kindergarten classrooms to ensure children are learning and playing safely. Outdoor supervision of children is required daily. The best part of the job is meeting new children everyday and having different experiences in different classrooms.
great experince and lots of fun
I have had a blast working at York profesional, it is the best place to teach in. supervisor was a pleasant and very supportive. had great team to work with and enjoy a great relations. I felt like family there.
Pros
friendly and relaxed environment. very supportive.
Cons
space was small.
Good
The Board was a growing board, with new schools and a lot of new housing development. This meant there were funds for a variety of different types of programmes for students.
it alright
its ok .
shift work involved.

secure job.

benefits ok

great people to work for.

staff support is good

a lot of advancement provided.

friendly atmosphere
Pros
secure job
Cons
pay ok not greatest.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at YORK REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD. Our community is ready to answer.