York Region Children's Aid Society

York Region Children's Aid Society Employee Reviews

The work was rewarding, however, very difficult to balance work with personal life. Daily demands were often unrealistic leading to a high level of employee leaves.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Unrealistic case loads, high risk situations
York Region CAS has a horrible senior management team. The workers have high caseloads which impact the ability for self care and work life balance. They don’t care about the workers mental health and safety. Often times workers are faced in unsafe work environments, verbally abused. Workers are not only abused by clients but also management; the board is blind to what happens for workers
I loved working here, amazing people and amazing opportunities for students. Provided me with amazing training, and different job locations. Was allowed autonomy, and everyone was very kind.
Pros
hour lunches, nice co workers, amazing management
Cons
sometimes not enough work to keep busy
A great place to gain experience working with a broad range of clients and issues. If you work in this role, you will: • Responsible for receiving child protection referrals and other requests for service. • Responsible for carrying out investigations in response to allegations/complaints made against parents, caregivers, teachers, and others who have direct contact with children. • Interview and correspond with collaterals, witnesses, and other professionals including Police, teachers, physicians, etc. in order to collect information in support of the assessments and conclusions made. • Prepare case notes and reports related to the investigations conducted and the ongoing work completed. • Prepare court documents for review by counsel and attend court as required. • Complete assessments, develop objectives and implement service plans • Provide crisis intervention support, short-term counselling, and the coordination of support services to meet the needs of the individuals and families worked with. • Conduct regular reviews of the objectives and plans developed.
Pros
Good benefits and pay scale.
Cons
Can be stressful over time.
I learned a lot as a student. The worker I shadowed was phenomenal. I wish, however, that I was able to receive a proper reference letter. I only received a letter stating the time that I had worked.
Typically long days, but very rewarding. Best colleagues anyone could ask for. Management is very supportive and promotes self growth.
My job requires me attending homes of individuals who are being investigated for some type of child maltreatment. The stress level is high due to the high probability of being confronted by a hostile client or entering an unsafe environment. In light of the above information, I believe my job is important as I assist care givers with providing a safe and nurturing environment for the children in their care. I provide education and solution-focused brief therapy, help care givers develop strong parenting skills and advocate on behalf of individuals to further their success of parenting their children. I work with a strong group of people who work together to ensure the success of the job we do. I have learned the importance of a client-focused approach to supporting people, which helps to ensure that the client is on board with the action plan put into place. I have met many wonderful families and individuals over the years and have been successful with assisting them with providing a safe and nurturing environment for their children.
Pros
Supportive team members.
Cons
Long hours away from my family.
My typical day, would be caring for infants. Keeping all doctor appointments etc. Taking children to visit with parents. Supporting families and helping work through a crisis in their lives.' I worked close with management, and my co-workers to ensure that the child(ren) I cared for had the best representation. The hardest part of the job was letting the children move on with their families or a new family. Each child is special in their own way, and become a member of our family. The most enjoyable part of the job, was letting the children move on, knowing that I had given them the very best of care, and have nurtured them to become well adjusted, and loved.
I worked very casually, my family was part of a relief program through York Region Children's Aid and did weekend relief for foster parents while they were away on training for the Society. Management was very friendly. Learned a lot about different disabilites and conditions. It was not hard as children are fun and easy to work with. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping out children.
Pros
learned a lot about different disabilities
Cons
no pay involved as it was volunteer