York Catholic District School Board

York Catholic District School Board Employee Reviews

Canada70 reviews

teacherschoolstudentstafffriendlyenvironmenthourday

YCDSB is phenomenal! A great, supportive, non-toxic, environment to work.

YCDSB is phenomenal! A great, supportive, non-toxic, environment to work. Human Resource is very empathetic, accommodating and professional. My experience has been very intrinsically rewarding, to support students with exceptional needs. I firmly believe that YCDSB is one of the best educational boards in Canada. I would strongly recommend YCDSB for consideration to actualize career goals.

Great people and great team culture

The culture at York Catholic School Board is supportive and collaborative with great management. Coworkers make the day go fast and it is a great team atmosphere. Very good pay and benefits.

Insights into York Catholic District School Board

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things

Great board with lots opportunities

Good school board with lots of opportunities for both aspiring and certified teachers. You work with really friendly staff and amazing students. Very rewarding

It's a job, they only care what you can do better.

Thee shifts and the hours are not bad. And the expectations are unrealistic but very clear. They provide training for everything and overall the work is not terrible if you don't mind taking initiative or getting your hands dirty. The biggest challenge is the workload and the repetition of it all. The expectation of what should be possible every day might not be a reality from one day to the.next. If you can manage that unspoken expectation along with the jerrymanderimg that goes on with job positions and postings here them you will be fine. The work enviroent becomes toxic if you don't just stay in a bubble and ignore the injustice and imbalance of work distribution and pay scales. This is all complimented by some nopotism and work contracts and policy written on tissue paper.I think because of the pension and benefits it might be attractive but the wage is barley livable after deductions. They will match pension but again consider you give away real money you earned every paycheque for a promise that that real money and the fake top up should be there later. As of this writing we have 2x more people collecting pension than those that are currently employed paying into it, I don't suppose that can last forever. Consider that is because they try to run a skeleton crew to cover operational needs. That would be great if HR only hired the best of the best. But as an equal opportunity employer you can expect the average of the average. So if you are a hard worker there is lots for you here and it can only end badly.I think they want high turn over, thanks for your union dues, -

Pros

Pension, Benefits, Unionized Environment

Cons

Unionized Environment, Negative effects to mental and physical health.

It’s okay

So I’m a custodian, been with the company over four years. It’s exactly what you think. Clean and sanitize, and deal with people who gossip like their in high school again. Benefits are good, work life is kinda bad. Stuck in afternoon shifts until you have enough seniority to maybe get a day shift. An most often than not you’re looked down upon because of the profession your in.

Pros

Benefits, pay.

Cons

No work life balance, takes years to advance anywhere.

working with family

When I worked at the YCDSB, I made a lot of friends, Most of my friends today are from my work life when I was teaching. I met my wife at my school while teaching. I was very fortunate to enter the teaching career during my lifetime at the time that I did teach. I don't think that I would want to enter the education field if I were starting my career now.

Pros

great working atmosphere

Cons

None, as long as you can teach well.

Great place to get experience teaching

I was allowed to have this opportunity due to my mother being a teacher in this field. I am lucky enough that I got to experience teaching before finishing my degree.

Schedules

They wont give you a full-time schedule. Not enough for a living. Overall, they are nice cooperative people. A good place to start a career as a teacher.

I have been in the workforce for 33 years. And at 18yrs. Y.C.D.S.B. is the longest time i have worked for an employer.

Briefing at change of shift time,and respond to calls for assistance from office,start cleaning at designated section,dealing with staff, parents, after hours gym permits,it is not just a cleaning job we are handling all kinds of situations. management is very clear and communicates, all important information, from the on- site level to the head office.learned a lot of people skills hands on and online training, on health and safety.winter is the most challenging part of work, lots of salt gets tracked indoors, and now all the health issues world wide it is even more challenging. Lots of good people i have worked with over the years. and in different locations, i still keep up with friendships.

Flexible work days and easy job to learn. Great workplace culture, overall happy staff and positive environment to work in. Feel good about what we do.

Good salary and great Benefits, sick days

Great learning environment to enhance your personal and professional goals/skills. Opportunities to work as a team member and being a advocate for your student's individual needs.

Pros

Opportunities for daily self reflection and development

Cons

Can be a demanding role requiring self confidence, and taking the initiative for advocating for yourself, and your students needs. Salary should reflect worker's individual experience, and training.

Excellent place to work for work life balance

Excellent place to work for individuals with families to have a work life balance. Excellent benefits, a diverse working environment that allows for personal growth.

Teaching

I am a passionate teacher although the seniority of the system prevents me in advancing my career as much as I would like to. The union is strong although restricting to advancement.

Pros

Safe

Cons

Seniority rules

Depends on what school you are at and how competitive your co-workers are. Sometimes you try harder than others and get punished for it.

You are ok unless you upset a colleague or HR !! Some of them will report you. Then your life will change drastically. Human Resources will never believe your side of the story and from then on you will be blamed for things you didn't do and have a flag on your head with Principals tracking your every move. There are many wonderful teachers and EA's but get together with the wrong one and not a good environment.

Spending time with children is really fun for me.

this school has great staff, fun environment, great student. they are so kind and polite. I supervise the children when their teacher is not there. they are so respectful.

Dedicated, hardworking colleagues and Program Coordinators.

Excellent training in using government mandated PBLA resource. Enthusiastic student population. Friendly workplace culture. Supportive and responsive Program Coordinators.

Pros

Supportive environment

Cons

overall a great employer but lack of support from admin and colleagues is a huge negative

Working in the classroom teaching kindergarten students is amazing and fulfilling work. However this is often ruined by admin and colleagues (teachers) who do not believe in, nor support the Full Day Kindergarten program. Many times you are viewed as a helper in the room, not a second educator, and your ideas/suggestions are disregarded. Pros: teaching your students for two years really allows you to foster a relationship with children and their families, great pay and hours enable you to have a good home/work balance, summers off Cons: respect for the profession is non-existent, no chance for advancement in position or pay, have to apply for EI in the summers, hard to find permanent positions.

Overall nice experience

Always new opportunities to discover and be a part of. Learned plenty about group dynamics in certain situations. The best part of the experience was working with the kids

York Board Work Environment

I work as an Application Support/ Programmer Data Analyst with the York Catholic District Board. My Primary responsibility involves building and maintaining applications using Python/VB.NET/ASP.NET/JavaScript/SQL/XML. Oracle and SQL servers are our primary databases. . Processing of data is performed as a daily nightly job and fully automated. The Application program extracts, cleans, filters and uploads the data into the Oracle Database System daily. Management and end user reports are built using Python/.NET, Tableau and Excel. Data Visualization techniques such as Graphs are used for Presentations and for further analysis. The most enjoyable part of the job is flexibility and good working colleagues. The job could be more challenging though.

Pros

Good work place

Cons

Not challenging enough. Been here too long. Need a change.

Fun

The teaching staff in YCDSB are friendly and caring people. During meh time working in one of the schools I learned a lot from many teachers and was able to learn about the school environment.

Good

- schedules are great during the day - perks are your summer and Christmas breaks off - salery is not bad but could be better - company need to be more diverse in races of staff hired

Ask a question about working or interviewing at York Catholic District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement