York Catholic District School Board Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Occasional Educational Assistant & Intervenor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON26 February 2019
Great environment, the staff and students were a treat to work with. Always had a smile. Every school had something new to offer. Being an EA, you move around a lot.
Pros
treat day
Cons
recess duty in the winter
Wonderful place to work
Italian instructor (Current Employee) –  YCDSB Woodbridge21 February 2019
I've been working for YCDSB as an Italian instructor for over 10 years. Excellent program. Staff are friendly and kind. Supervisors and Leads are always professional and helpful.
Good employer
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON7 January 2019
I have been with the board for over 15 years and in that time I have been satisfied with them. At times they seem to be reactive to situations and are lacking in innovation and ideas, but they do tend to get caught up just in time for the next fad. It is not an easy time to be in education and they do the best they can.
Great schools for learning
Emergency Supply Teacher (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON8 November 2018
friendly staff and teachers that allow you to have a comfortable day at work with support when needed. All students are great and are motivated to learn.
York Catholic District School Board
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Different schools12 October 2018
A typical day would be entitle of answering the phones, tending to parents, children and staff members. Time management was very important in this role tending to phones and students.
Excellent employer
Science teacher (high school) (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON20 September 2018
The York Catholic Board is a progressive board of education,that treats its employees with courtesy and respect. Comp and benefits are second to none.
Fun time with students
Lunchroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  King City, ON2 August 2018
Showing up at work we get the students ready to eat, we play games and teach students as they eat. Classroom management ensure students are safe eating. Workplace is nice and safe, an exciting place to work. Hardest part is making sure all students are safe and secure in the class. Seeing all my students daily makes my day a lot more enjoyable.
Pros
spending time with students
Cons
hour of lunch right in the middle of the day
Excellent place to advance one's career
Data Controller (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON22 May 2018
Flexible hours and a place where you can expand your knowledge base as you choose. It is fast paced, but pays well and vacation allotment is more that fair.
Mixed experiences. Most staff helpful. Management distant.
Supply Library Technician (Former Employee) –  York Region28 January 2018
My typical day began with a call, about an hour - to an hour/half before bell time. The variety of locations exposed me to different expectations, work culture. Some experiences were better than others. I was very impressed on a couple of different assignments with the quality of care and compassion teacher and school staff treated developmentally delayed children, and on a regular basis, I witnessed children/teens treated very respectfully.
Kuddo's to teachers - they do make a difference.
Pros
Appears to have dedicated teachers.
Cons
Give more consideration to casual employees responding to last minute requests to attend. Distance, travel time, in most cases can not be attained within an hours' notice.
i am very happy
Head custodian (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON5 December 2017
I enjoy my job.And am very happy person.working the School board.I am charge of keeping the school clean and safe.snow removal also.clean,wax floors,cleaning of classrooms .
like a big family
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON3 October 2017
I have nothing bad to say i have been doing this for over 4 years. i love my job and the environment i am in. Students are great, staff, and the families.
Pros
benefits, good staff, hours
Cons
nothing
Good hours, good balance
School Secretary (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON12 September 2017
I lenjoy interacting with students and helping out staff whenever needed. The day flies by of how busy the environment can get. I enjoy the work load as well.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Can get stressful
Great Job- Unfortunate Seniority Problem
Supply Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stouffville, ON5 September 2017
Great having summers off. But unfortunately never knowing when or where you're working. Also applying for jobs you never actually gets to interview for.
Great place
French Instructor (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON25 July 2017
As principal I was in charge of the daily school routine, procedures, regulations. Hired staff and confirmed their placement to ensure qualified candidates.
very satisfactory
International Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON24 July 2017
Very inclusive and enjoyable. School community was support of the school board initiatives. Training was helpful, to increase productivity in the classroom. Student load was large, and several hours of overtime.
Designated Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON7 June 2017
Great Benefits and good work environment. Collaborative team members and staff. They have a lot of support for staff members. Good working conditions, excellent hours
Enjoyable and fun
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON3 June 2017
I support youth with complex needs within a school setting. I have the opportunity to work with many professionals. I enjoy the day to day responsibilities and how each day is different.
I work with children from kindergarten to grade eight.
Great Environment
Emergency Supply Teacher (Current Employee) –  Stouffville, ON26 May 2017
Great place to be

Learned so much in 6 months - love being in there

Friendly and very helpful people to work with

My hardest part of the job is not being able to help kids further along when a situation is beyond your care.

Best part of the job is applying my knowledge and afterwards seeing it all come together when the kids are learning and understanding what you have taught them.
Pros
Being close to home
Cons
Not enough hours
Empower each student to be successful in their own right.
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON7 April 2017
I worked with Special Needs students from JK to High School over a span of nine years from York Public and York Catholic District School Board.

We follow the student's individual program to meet their individual needs. Patience and compassion are some of the qualities needed to ensure students learn in a safe environment.
Pros
Students made noticeable improvements at the end of school year
Cons
Lack of fun time.
It was ok
School Assistant (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON4 April 2017
At first things were very disorganized, but later on, it got better. You learn people skills. Not really a changing job; every day you do the same thing.
Pros
Free pizza meals
Cons
Overtime, emails outside of work hours