YMCA Employee Reviews

loud fast paced
Fitness Consultant/Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS14 March 2018
helping exercisers putting away weights cleaning
everyone has there own comfort zone
suspect
who I worked for
the members I worked with and became close friends with
Pros
free membership
Cons
lack of direction
All About the Children
Before and After School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON13 March 2018
The job itself is great but the benefits are lacking. The children love when i help them out with crafts or games in the gymnasium. They enjoy the outdoors as well.
very good job
Supply Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 March 2018
No negative things to say About YMCA, very flexible schedule, especially for people on call. the pay is decent, management works well with workers, and the benefits are amazing. one of the benefits includes an all-inclusive gym membership.
Pros
good job
good
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Innisfil, ON10 March 2018
i didnt have a good experience with co workers but did with staff.
they need t work on thefts between co workers and how it will be dealt with instead of doing nothing
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2018
I volunteered for multiple YMCA events and they were all fun experiences. They were all events for children and there would be maybe up to 70 kids running around the gym having fun.
Great Organization
Youth Leader (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 March 2018
It is a good organization to work for. I am having a great time and have no complaints. I found it easier to volunteer with them first, before applying for a position since that would improve your chances of getting the position.
YMCA's community
camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Hespeler, ON6 March 2018
The YMCA is very friendly and gives children the chance to have fun. Because of the programs and activities the YMCA has to offer, it allows many job opportunities to a variety of ages. When I volunteered at the YMCA, all of the staff were very helpful in leading me into the direction for the camps. Management is very organized and I knew who I needed to talk to for schedules. The workplace culture is very helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job I had was to help get the kids to get along with each other. I enjoyed this job because it gave me the chance to gain experience in the workplace and get to know more about the YMCA and how good of a community it is.
Pros
Outside and inside jobs
Cons
N/a
Great first job
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2018
Good place to start work, coworkers and employers are friendly. I have nothing else to say but indeed makes me write 150 characters so here we go blah blah
The Place to Have the Time of Your Life
Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON6 March 2018
I worked at YMCA Wanakita in Haliburton, and have been seasonally for the past 5 years. It is a great first summer job. There is so much fun activities to do. Working on the off seasons Winter, Spring and Fall are absolutely my favourite seasons to work.
Pros
Getting to work with people of all ages
Cons
upbeat, friendly, caring and fun workplace.
Early Learning and Care Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON5 March 2018
friendly environment to work in. i have worked with the YMCA for 5 years and i can say i enjoy coming into work. never a dull moment working at the YMCA. very welcoming and caring people. management could use a bit of work.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
not enough hours
Great employer
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK2 March 2018
Employer was always very accommodating and approachable.
Teaching swimming lessons taught me good communication skills with kids and adults of all ages.
I was very happy to be back working at the YMCA YWCA in Dunrobin,Ontario
Food Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dunrobin, ON28 February 2018
Being back at the camp and seeing new people and some other people I know.
All the new things that the Ymca Ywca brought to this camp.
New equipment,new staff, new ideas, new menues.
Plenty of cooperation with all staff.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing I can do the job as Food Coordinator.
Meeting all the groups and some new staff from other provinces.
A lot more people with food allergies.
Overall, I learned to be tollerant of myself in this new position as Food Coordinator and of others in this kind of work place.
Meaning somedays more people to cook for and more money to spend from our budget.Which is needed to bring better quality service to this particular YmcaYwca, better food and nutritious meals.My staff and I did get lots of notes from the adults and children that the food was just Awsome!
Pros
We like that every person get`s a well balanced meal.
Cons
Long hours in the kitchen and dining hall, but well worth it.
productive and fun workplace.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON28 February 2018
Everyday I went to the YMCA I had a great day and enjoyed working there. I learned a lot about working with children and about working at the front desk.
Pros
long breaks
fun, out going ,exciting
youth coropitive (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 February 2018
I Love this job my very first one that helped me start off in the world help me explore. They are amazing people at the ymca teen zone this happends every summer n kids of all ages expirences something new n learn at the same time.
busy workplace and many fund facilities to use
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 February 2018
there's usually plenty of noise and movement as there are plenty of members at YMCA. working there taught me working with others as well as maintaining a safe and tidy appearance in the workplace environment. i believe the hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable. setting up/supervising events and games for younger children is fun to do. however, it is challenging to make sure that no injuries occur as children sometimes play rough when they get too exited.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 February 2018
The YMCA is a great place to work. Lots of room for growth within the association. Amazing Play based curriculum for children. Passion for working with children. Management takes pride in their employees and child care centres. Hours of operation is usually 7:30-6 pm.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Long hours at times
Fun workplace, met a lot of new people
Summer Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON24 February 2018
- Learned a lot about children
- Tiring but energetic days
- Met new people
- Employees were like family
- Became very comfortable with my surroundings
Pros
Never worked at night
Cons
Same two days off every week
Fun workplace
Facility Housekeeping Attendant (FA) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 February 2018
Fun place to work. You gain great experience and coworkers are friendly and helpful. Great place and great benefits from working there. Great hours too.
Pros
free gym
Cons
nothing
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant - Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 February 2018
Absolutely, YMCA is offering many volunteer opportunities. I am a volunteer at YMCA for 2 years and 3 months. For this period I gain experience and learn a lots about work place culture (behaviors). For Example, In printer has lots of small techniques. The hardest part of the job is nothing because I love to help community. The most enjoyable part is "Job Fair". My experience level is amazing.
Pros
great opportunities to get volunteer position.
Cons
I did't see any Accounting field volunteer opportunities
YMCA Assistant Director
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 February 2018
Most of my day was working with children in out of school care.

I helped the director in administrative duties, and was supervisor when no director was present.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

59K