YMCA Pay & benefits reviews

Canada1,998 reviews
The company had great child-minding while I picked up casual shifts as a trainer. Great opportunity to work with the community and loved the clients I worked with.

Noticed management was overworked and lots of turnover for employment opportunities. I was always covering for people who didn’t show up for work.
Pros
Management is great, free gym membership
Cons
No health benefits for Casual work, having to cover on the fly of a coworker doesn’t show up.
Great work culture, great kids, very flexible with your schedule. What they lack in pay they make up for with their benefits and flexibility. I love the split schedule during the school year.
Pros
Free membership, paid vacation days, flexible, good staff, possible tuition assistance
Cons
Work school breaks, pay could be better
I loved the experience of working at the YMCA. Sometimes the members can be a bit difficult but that's customer services for you. I'd recommend applying
Pros
The work enviroment
Cons
Salary
It was a great place.My boss for the cleaning division was super. Only one girl who worked the front desk was extremely rude.
Worked steady days. Was praised highly even was offered full time paid position which I couldn’t take due to the fact I knew I was moving out of town.
Pros
Relaxed as long as you did what needed to be done.Guests were so nice.
Cons
One miserable front lady.
Supervisors don’t respect or trust their staff enough. Give impossible deadlines and no additional paid work hours given, but scolded if not completed.
Coworkers are fine, but staff are the last thought from upper management

I was bullied internally for over a year and my supervisor and the department head knew...and did nothing...for a year.
Pros
Free-ish gym membership, flexible hours, free-ish uniforms
Cons
Average pay, little support, raises are extremely rare
If you like to be over worked and under paid, this is the place for you!

If you like a stressful job without much help from management, then apply now!

If you like long days, giving up your spare time, and still be treated like you’re disposable then what are you waiting for!
Pros
Amazing co workers
Cons
Management, pay grade, the way they treat their employees
Management slides everything under the carpet pretends everything is fine let’s workplace harassment happen I hope once there is a new CEO change happens here it’s so needed don’t ever work here this is suppose to be a safe place to work it’s the YMCA.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Stressful
Management is all about themselves, funny how everyone knows your business even if its suppose to be confidential. They pay you with a slap in the face meaning its low, been there 17 years and new staff is getting more than us old staff. If your not buddy buddy with certain people like managers and coordinators then you wont fit in at all.
Pros
Making new friends, free membership
Cons
Salary, management, paying for uniform n parking pass
Overall the YMCA is a great place to work. The staff are great and the members are always joyful and happy which makes the job better. The salary however could be a little better but it is a non for profit organisation so I can understand.
This is a great job. Being a supply allows for flexible hours. It is easy to go from place to place and choose different schools. It is nice to see different schools and places.
Pros
Location, flexibility
Cons
Short Hours
Working split shift is never a great deal, but the Y recognizes that and offers full time split shift staff salary and full benefits. ECAs aren't paid enough to live on but the schedule allows for a second job with flexible hours. If you have an ECE degree, you will be paid higher than average.
Pros
Paid trainings, supportive management, fast paced
Cons
Lots of paperwork and non paid prep
I learned a great amount and this job is highly recommended, extremely friendly and helpful co-workers as well as amazing benefits and opportunities which help a lot.
Stressful position ,team work in good environment , supporting organization, friendly environment with ongoing support and training. good benefits and pension plan.
The job itself was great, but the staff were a bit difficult to get along with. Staff benefits were good. Got to meet some great people and interact with all diferent types of familes.
its like a typical day at work. the facility is nice, and its an affordable cost to get in too. what i learned there by just volunteering is how costumer service works and that's pretty cool
Its okay it pays the bills. Supervisor needs to be more fair and look at all side with no favouritism. Losing good workers due to FAVOURITISM!!! Also underline racism but easily messed if not paying attention !!!!! Lots of subliminal comments with no repercussions.
You have to be able to think quick on your feet when working in a fast pace environment. I think the hardest thing about working at the ymca was that sometimes the staff was not punctual and there was very minimal communication that took place which made it hard for everyone to work together properly
Pros
free food and beverages
Cons
There are long hours and sometimes low staff
work place is nice. mostly customer facing job. colleague are best. less pay but more work. job is not secured. Management is friendly and more concern for the staff.
Pros
work culture is good
Cons
They did not pay me, just given me volunteer hours, for my high school requirement to graduate. But had to stop due to health issues and they were not very reasonable about it. Resulting in a low rating.
Very high stressful work environment if you actually do your job.
Great place to start out but no long term opportunities. They change your shift if you accepted or not. They do ask you , but they don’t respect you . I told them “ it will not work for my family and I got hired for my shift” but they didn’t care. They told me at the interview “ they support women “ but actually they don’t.
Pros
Good salary to start with
Cons
Very very long day, and sometime you need your break to finish your paperwork.
I absolutely loved my time at Wanakita. The hours were long and the pay isn't great but the connections you make and the lessons you learn are priceless.