YMCA Employee Reviews for Preschool Teacher

pleasant beggining
Early Childhood Educator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON12 November 2017
You do minimal work with the opportunity to move on up quickly in the company if you know someone within the company. It is a very good start to any career.
productive, fun and diverse
Early Childhood Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON15 October 2017
Working as an Early Childcare Assistant was an exciting learning experience. The staff couldn't be anymore helpful and welcoming to new staff. Above all my manager was extremely supportive and allowed flexibility with my schedule as needed. I couldn't have asked for more out of my first childcare job and I would recommend this position to anyone interested in the childcare field.
Pros
great hourly wage, amazing staff
I love the Y
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 September 2017
I very much love the y as an organization. In my field I do not see much advancement but hours can be good. I enjoy working with the kids and families.
Pros
loving atmosphere
Cons
low wage
Fast paced learning environment
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON5 September 2017
On a typical day at work I am alone as a lead educator to approximately 15 children. I have learned so many things in this field, but to name just a few things would be, time management, patience, dedication, putting others first, how to think on your feet, program planning and delivery etc. The hardest part of the job other than saying goodbye to some children would be the general stressors that come with this field of work. The most enjoyable part of my job is the bonds I build with the children that I will always cherish.
Hard to obtain full time position
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  YMCA GTA28 August 2017
After being with the YMCA for 2.5 years I still was unable to obtain full time employment due to "limited budget". My contract was then ended WHILE I was on maternity leave as I was "not going to physically there when the contract expired to extend it". Zero job security as your hours could be changed at any given moment as a part time employee. Management had no respect for employees often playing favourites with certain staff and talking badly behind the back of other staff. My co workers were great, most of us were in the same boat. Do not work for YMCA child care centres.
Pros
friendly co workers
Cons
Everything else
Child Care Worker
Early Childhood Educator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON15 August 2017
-Work with Students before and after care
-create weekly plans directed towards students interests
-good management
-split shifts
-great work experience if looking for experience with children
Pros
good pay
Cons
split shifts part time
okay
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 August 2017
The YMCA expects too much out of their employees for the little amount of money they make. The team leads are always unhappy and hardly in the classroom with the children and make up excuses to be out of the room actually helping.
Having fun doing all different activates with the children
Early Childhood Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON8 August 2017
I would go to work and get everything that I needed for the class room out and ready by the door. When the children left the classroom I would bring everything into the room and quickly set everything up where they go and id have to make sure that I had the child's allergy medication on me and making sure that it was expired. Some days I would help another staff get the snacks out and clean them and cut them up for them. Also we would make sure we had everything for snacks so no one had to leave the rooms to go get what they need. What I learned at the YMCA is making friends and helping the children learn new activates, taking the children outside for an hour to play and to get fresh air and to play games with them. There is nothing hard about the job, everything to me seems easy and fast to learn new things. The most enjoyable thing about working at the YMCA is helping the staff, helping the children, keeping the classroom a safe environment and sanitized. I also liked reading and doing fun activates with the children and doing arts and crafts with them. Helping them learn new things and also myself learn new things as well. The staff and the children and the parents and respectful of each and everyone that is there. I also make sure that the children are playing safe and not climbing or fighting or throwing toys or anything at each other. I also make sure that I keep the backpack of everything I need to know about the children and the first aid back as well.
Pros
Working with the children and the staff
Cons
not quiet enough hours
YMCA a great learning environment
Early Childhood Educator substitute (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 August 2017
YMCA provides a great opportunity to learn, challenge and aid in the development of the Early Childhood Educators' expertise. As a long time substitute, YMCA enables my skills to expand with program planning and activities in conjuction with playing to learn curriculum. The staff are proffesional and dedicated in serving the children with outmost care. The most fulfilling experience is enjoying the time with children as you scaffold their learning through provocation that results in the development of their self-esteem.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Cons
Sometime long hours
Very flexible work
Supply Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 July 2017
Working with YMCA has been an awesome experience. People are friendly and experienced. The supervisors are supportive and caring. You can tell the level of professionalism that is expected from the staff that work here.
I love swim time, playing with children, and workshops
Early Childhood Educator II (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 May 2017
I enjoyed the once a week swim time with the kids.

Meeting new families was exciting!

Long standing hours can be challenging.

I enjoyed monthly meeting and workshops offered to staffs.
Pros
Working with children bring out the best in me
Cons
Long working hours standing and house keeping.
Fun workplace
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 May 2017
A typical day at work would be looking after other children, ensure they where fed, and taken care of. Planning a fun and fulfilled day of activities where they where able to further learn their fine and gross motor skills.
fun energetic place to work! great experience!
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON9 May 2017
This is a GREAT place to work for experience and I highly reccomend this job to anyone who has just graduated from ECE or is still in college for ECE. there is a morning shift and an afternoon shift (before and after care) that works around the schedule of the school the environment is relaxed yet fast pace and the children really enjoy spending time with the workers. The hardest part of this job is also one of my favourite parts. The split shift is hard because depending on what school you work at, the hours of your day could be very short meaning ofcourse less pay. However, that break inbetween is so nice to have- you get a break from the children(refresher) - time to organize and prepare for the next shift as well as focus on personal stuff such as appointments etc. The most enjoyable part of this job is going into work every day, morning and afternoon and seeing the children smile and knowing that they are depending on us(workers) to make the rest of their day, or the begining of their day amazing! another enjoyable part of the job is the flexability. We are able to do a lot of different acitvities, indoor as well as outdoor with the children that they may not be able to do in school such as water balloon toss, tie die, etc. :)
the management at times could be better but over all its super fun!!
Pros
nice break inbetween
Cons
pay because not enough hours
well organized
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON5 May 2017
good place to work. well organized and staffed. staff where fun. christmas parties where huge and fun. i enjoyed my time working with this company with the pay was a bit better.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
pay could be better
children
Early Childhood Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 February 2017
the children are fun energetic and enthusiastic. learn from them and teach them new experiences. great learning experience
Great and fun enviroment
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 February 2017
I enjoy it and like the people I work with. They are great for helping and understanding when someone new is joining the team. Its great to learn in and gain new skills.
Pros
Great people and very understanding poeple.
Cons
Its only part time hours and not enough full time availability.
Ymca
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ON23 November 2016
The YMCA is a great place to work, however working the split shift is not ideal while having to commute. I have been working with the YMCA for two years now (in my third year) and have not yet seen the benefits that the YMCA offers (medical, gym memberships ect)
best work place ever
Early Childhood Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON10 November 2016
I had a great time learning about how children learn and how to make it a positive experience for both the child and the parent. It was amazing working with ladies that different background in education and culture.
Great Workplace
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2016
Working a split shift was a typical day at work for me. I've learnt so much and gained plenty of experience. The co-workers helped each day to have a big smile on your face.
learning experience
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 October 2016
i learned a lot from this job. It was a great chance for me to gain experience in the field. however i found myself drained and stressed at the end of the day. the families and children were great,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

59K