YMCA Employee Reviews for Camp Counselor

lots of fun, made best friends, worked there since i was 15, now I'm 32!
Camp Counselor & Leader (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 June 2018
amazing place of work. i worked the summer camps and had a blast. kids were fun to be around even though they were more on the misbehaving side, it was a fun challenge.
Pros
lots of trips and friendships built
Cons
log days, kids misbehave often
A fun place to work for students
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Stouffville, ON17 May 2018
If you are very interested in working with children and you have a fun personality, this job is for you. YMCA allows quick promotion through the ranks if you are competent at your job.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Exhausting
Provided counseling and practical training about outdoor skills like swimming, backpacking, wilderness survival, canoeing etc.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Dunrobin, ON4 May 2018
A typical day would include, doing atendance, organizing activities and interacting with children of different age groups. Working at the YMCA was a great expperience; I got along with my co-workers, I gained leadership skills an I got the oppurtunity to organize activities for children. There was othing to difficult about the job because if if you struggled your supeior and co workers are always availible to help you.
Good Workplace for Those Interested in Childcare
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Stouffville, ON4 May 2018
YMCA is a great place to start working if you have interest in working in childcare. They provide assistance when necessary and the being with the kids makes time fly.
Pros
Camp provides good hours
Cons
Sometimes stressful
Chill and fulfilling
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saint-Sauveur, QC3 May 2018
It was a rewarding experience, I worked with children with special needs and it allowed me to understand and see how important it is to help these children out.
Pros
Free food and housing
Cons
very long hours.
Great experience
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2018
This was my first time working as a camp counselor and the added twist of getting kids on the ferry and safely to the island made very single day a adventure. But, head staff stayed in trailer and gave no help to counselors working with groups of 8-12 kids by their self. EG sending kid to trailer to be away from the group because he keeps starting fights but the head staff sent him back right away because 'he was too much to deal with'. Exemplifying that Senior staff Laziness is promoted and allowed and they out most of the real work on younger counselors who are often overwhelmed by large groups of kids.
Pros
Some groups were amazing
Cons
not enough support from head staff
One of the best summer jobs out there
Summer Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Georgian Bay, ON30 April 2018
The environment of the workplace is phenomenal, surrounded by supportive and loving staffs, it was a place of growth, smiles, and laughter. As a camp consoler, you are assigned a cabin with 6-8 kids of similar age with a co-consoler. A typical day would include flag raising, running activities and keeping the campers entertained and energized throughout the whole day. maintaining proper behavior and the essentials such as hygiene and personal well being of the campers are our main priority. The hardest part of the job would be handling troublesome campers who have a hard time with authority figures and likes to things to go their own way. The most enjoyable part of the job for me would be hearing my campers tell me what an enjoyable experience it was for them and how I contributed to creating "The best summer they have ever had". overall I would say camp is a very rewarding experience and if given the chance, I would definitely recommend those with the opportunity to try it out!
Never a dull moment
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 April 2018
Working with children you can always look forward to having some fun. But working with the actual company can be tough sometimes because the outside communication (regarding work) is not as strong enough to ensure smooth flow between all employees.
fun, enjoyable and free snacks
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB24 April 2018
Planning activities, going swimming and trips for the campers which are always fun. volunteering for the YMCA was a great volunteer experience ever and hopefully, I get the opportunity to volunteer or work for the YMCA.
Pros
Free trips
Cons
only summer and no incomes
Productive and enjoyable working environment
Summer Day Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 April 2018
While working at the YMCA, I gained transferable skills that are necessary to most work environments. As a Summer Day Camp Counselor, I learned how to have a positive influence on the daily lives of children. Overall, it was a great working and learning experience.
It was fun and I had a great time but the pay and availability were just decent
Summer Day Camps Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2018
it was ok and I had a good time but I wasn't advancing my career at all, and I was barely making enough money.
The culture was great, everyone was having fun and they cared about employee satisfaction.
Pros
fun
Cons
not a lot of money
Great summer camp job
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 April 2018
Great place to work if you are looking to have fun working with your peers and kids on a day to day basis. Requires lots of energy and can be draining. However, lots of fun and overall awesome place to work.
a really nice workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 March 2018
A typical day at work was working with kids, and planning activities for the day. I learned a lot about how to manage kids and solve conflicts. The really enjoyed working at the YMCA as it was a good working experience, and also really enjoyed getting to know my co-workers.
Pros
staff socials
Good
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON20 March 2018
A fun job that involves games and interacting with fun children. Not paid enough, but get the chance to tan outside. Would recommend if you love kids.
Fun and interactive work place that enjoys children
Camp counsellor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB20 March 2018
It was a summer camp position working with young children and making summer more enjoyable for the youth. We would play games, do activities like canoeing, archery, sports and hiking. Always was a fun time and I would highly recommend anyone to do it for a summer.
a fun learning experience.
camp tiki counselor (Former Employee) –  Colborne, ON17 March 2018
working at the YMCA was a fulfilling experience.
I would say the hardest part about working there was the constant worry and alertness you have to have about the kids you are supervising and looking after.
YMCA's community
camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Hespeler, ON6 March 2018
The YMCA is very friendly and gives children the chance to have fun. Because of the programs and activities the YMCA has to offer, it allows many job opportunities to a variety of ages. When I volunteered at the YMCA, all of the staff were very helpful in leading me into the direction for the camps. Management is very organized and I knew who I needed to talk to for schedules. The workplace culture is very helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job I had was to help get the kids to get along with each other. I enjoyed this job because it gave me the chance to gain experience in the workplace and get to know more about the YMCA and how good of a community it is.
Pros
Outside and inside jobs
Cons
N/a
Fun workplace, met a lot of new people
Summer Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON24 February 2018
- Learned a lot about children
- Tiring but energetic days
- Met new people
- Employees were like family
- Became very comfortable with my surroundings
Pros
Never worked at night
Cons
Same two days off every week
Camp
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto island3 February 2018
Camp was great if you like outdoors. 100s of little kids screaming, smiling and having fun. Work with a big staff team. Outdoor camp much of your day is spent travelling to and from camp site (toronto island)
Pros
Outdoors
Cons
Waiting for toronto ferry
Excellent Organization
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON1 February 2018
Working with the YMCA has given me a chance to share knowledge on many things in the world of art and sports to the kids that I engage with every day. I have learned a great deal of patience from working here and the opportunities that the organization has given me is tremendous. Everyone is always in positive spirits and does whatever they can to make everyone around them whether it be co-workers or our kids, happy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

59.3K