YMCA

YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 2,052 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,739 reviews

A fun environment poor management

The position I worked had minimal training and management that were not trained in that department so it was frustrating at times but it was still a great fun part time job.

Pros

Discounted gym membership

Toxic Work Environment

Management does not address harassment unless it benefits them. There are policies in place for how they are to use it, but it seems like they promote those being cruel and ignore those who have been harassed.There is little work-life balance. Split shifts are required and don't be surprised if you have to work 7 days a week to be able to get 35 hours. They also sometimes forget to pay you, which is a hassle trying to get back pay. The environment is toxic and gossip and slander occur a lot. Positive talk, compliments, or anything good is rarely given. They tend to undermine everyone around them. For a non-profit that wants to promote good, they tend to belittle their staff. There is almost next to no room for advancement. If there is, they will openly promise promotions and roles to staff but never follow through.The most enjoyable part of the job is the good you do, but the toxic environment tends to outweigh that. It's a good short-term gig.

Pros

Benefits are good

Cons

Toxic environment, no management support, split shifts, no work-life balance

Do not work there

I was a long term worker in st.catharines . No room for advancement , ceo s are clueless as to what really goes on. Poor management , bad bosses who think there # don;t skink. Treat employess like garbage . Have a personel policy that they do not follow as it is just words .My advice to anyone thinking of applying do not .

Évitez

Il manque de respect envers les gens qui on des formations et des dep .

Pros

Belle équipe

Cons

Climat de travail, mal sain

The YMCA is awsome

The YMCA has alot of stuff to for familys and kids and it’s always clean and they respect everyone and it’s always fun to go to cause you can work out & go today camps and go cooking and swimming and they have a lots to do for kids

Pros

It’s always clean

Cons

They need to open real soon

Decent for a staring ECE

I had high expectations for the YMCA but I was let down fairly quick. They handled the COVID school closures very well and our directors are amazing. BUT you get hired for a position and the position gets switched a week before you start, the wages change from centre to centre without your knowledge of it changing until you get the contract. They can't keep staff worth anything, so supply staff is limited. You feel afraid to call in because of the low numbers in staff. The only good thing is that you can mess up a million times and never get fired.

Pros

ymca membership, benefits, amazing managers

Cons

split shift, low wages

Dont work there

Worst place to work the drama people talk about you someone says this another says that always short on staff then end up being over worked the schedule is always wrong you can tell the boss something but he always ignored it plus every other cleaning company makes more money then YMCA

Pros

Nice clean building

Cons

Drama

Productive and enjoyable and rewarding job

At the YMCA, I had great co-workers.We co-ordinated and organized, and managed well.One female was in charge of the programming. I was responsible for the weekly art classes. Later on, I was the dance instructor on a monthly basis. We had a co-worker in charge of making birthday cakes. We had fun games and productive classes.I met monthly, so that the art materials and lessons would be set and ready ahead of time. We had evaluations from management every few months to ensure the students evaluation and feedback was filled out. We had constructive feedback to improve the program.There were field trips. Overall, I enjoyed the work-place culture, and staff.

Pros

We worked as a team unit

Cons

Overall, was not bad, perhaps, could have had more hours for other programs offered by the YMCA.

Stressful, grinding

Low pay coupled with high expectations. Senior leadership is out of touch with the day to day of workers. Feels like opportunities for advancement are scarce and not worth the compensation associated with the increased responsibility.

Pros

Benefits and vacation days as full time

Cons

Very stressful. Lots of rules to keep track of that change rapidly with no consultation

Productive, fun, but underpaid

I worked at the Y for a few months. Am not planning on going back because the pay & hours don’t add up to be enough to afford my rent. It’s a good & fun work environment for a high school student looking for extra cash, but wouldn’t recommend it for cash to live on

Pros

Fun work environment

Cons

Not enough pay

Nothing special

Pay is not great and very little room for advancement. Even if you wait it out for a few years hoping to move up to a director or senior management position, the raises you get while waiting are annually and very low amounts. Also lots of complacency and times where you're doing nothing.

Pros

good benefits, free membership

Cons

terrible pay, little room for advancement

Easy-going

Feels like a family. Flexible with working from home. Excellent work-life balance. No crazy deadlines. Freedom of running your own schedule within the working hours.

Cons

peanut free

The experience at the agency was disappointing and staff burnout easily.

I have worked in many positions throughout my experience at YNAB. I primarily worked in the Health Fitness and Aquatic centres and my role was focused on the child and youth programming /day camps and youth programming. There is a training process for onboarding new hires for day camps but that tends to be the only comprehensive training staff receive throughout their career. As you progress you can only go so far unless you are friends with management. There are so many senior positions that are shuffled around to keep the same people in high roles. Applying for advancing positions in near impossible unless you are going to “tow the rope”. Management are looking for yes man/woman and are not interested in current non profit advancements. The agency is NOT trauma informed or compassionate to minority groups. Anyone who does not fit the mold tends to burnout quickly and turnover in positions is high. There always seems to be a re shuffle of internal staff instead of hiring external. The YMCA seems to be scared of change and does not listen to front line staff. Throughout my entire experience there I have reached out to management in multiple levels (even ceo and coo) and received little to no supportive responses. One can not advocate easily and it can become an uphill battle until they listen.Staff have to always prove their worth to the agency and they are often over worked (sometimes even without pay) and the expectations are high for part time staff. Examples of this are unpaid programming time, staying late, arriving early and having time cards rounded up to the -

Pros

Free membership, staff bonds (between peers)

Cons

Over worked, unsupportive management, staff wellbeing is unrecognized and not trauma informed for clients.

Worst Place to Work at

- Managers gossip about their employees constantly during meetings.- Micro-Management environment- High employee turnover - constantly hiring for the same positions because high expectations and LOW pay- Shortage of staff - schedule isn't flexible and constantly changes - do not care about work/life balance - Constant favouritism for lazy employees - No wage increase every year but expected to do goals each year for performance management review

Pros

free gym membership

Cons

favourtism for lazy employees, micromanagement

Nice workplace

YMCA is an organization where you will learn a lot ...these guys are so much helpful and a very friendly atmosphere . every day new experience, while working with them you can u do some courses offered by them ....you will get aa chance to build a network...you can also find new opportunities as they have supportive environment....healthy relationship. .little corporate politics but it is everywhere .....they do give you chance to showcas your skills and they help you to upgrade your skills ....

Pros

positive work culture

Initiative communautaire

Belle philosophie, gym, avantages sociaux/ salaire peu compétitif, peu de possibilité d’avancement

Pay is below industry standards

Toxic & micro management , no motivation to work , high employee turnover, stressed from work, schedule isn’t flexible, shortage of staff , may encounter long hours of work, difficult to get a decent wage/salary increase. Politics, favouritism. some companies offer yearly wage increase but not here. You rather work in mcdonalds and get a yearly raise.Upper management are treated like royaltyThey don’t know how to keep their employees satisfied and happy.

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Min wage + basic benefits only, micro management, etc

Positive Environment but a Terrible Place to Work

To start off, All frontline staff are severely underpaid. The amount of work that is expected and the amount you receive simply does not make sense. There are similar jobs in the area that offer a significantly higher wage and have a strong resemblance in their job description. However, This is a very positive environment to work in as the community is a very positive crowd. The problems with this organization lay within the management and beyond (not all managers are at fault). It is pretty much impossible to get anything done as there is way too many corporate rules that need to be followed. As a front line worker you are constantly sending emails to higher ups that only receive responses and support a week after the emails were sent. This means constantly having to explain to members why their needs are not being met and also leads to many situations where members are upset, dissatisfied and angry. It is very frustrating to deal with these issues as you are constantly held accountable but have already done everything in your power to resolve them. I have seen several instances where violations of workplace safety have occurred and nothing has been done when it is brought to managements attention. There is a lack of communication between staff as some managers will instruct you to do things a certain way while others will tell you to do it differently. It is very disorganized and hard to be fully in the loop and doing what is expected of you. There were times where I was not paid for a large amount of hours I had worked, and when it was brought to someone’s attention it took -

Pros

Free Gym Membership

Cons

Unorganized, Slow Management

Absolutely loved it.

One of my absolute favorite jobs. I did child minding and youth program facilitating. Training was great, classes were great and the overall experience was really enjoyable and rewarding.

Pros

Major discounts on free gym training and memberships

Cons

Split shifts

Wonderful staff and supervisors

I’ve worked with the YMCA childcare for almost 2 years now. The staff is absolutely wonderful, it really does feel like one big family. I have never experienced a bad day working here. Everyone that works here is full of high energy and they all have great personalities. The supervisors here are the best I have ever had. They are very tuned in with their staff and love feedback, they do give praise for good work which is something I haven’t gotten from other supervisors.

Pros

If you love working with kids this is a great job. Everyday is a learning experience.

Cons

They do open at 6am so if you’re not a morning person probably not for you

The YMCAs of Quebec are being run into the ground.

The President takes a huge salary and treats the organization as a for-profit when it is not. It is so bad that the Y cannot run without transfer payments and many have closed! Meanwhile, staff have very low wages when compared to other fitness companies. Terrible working conditions, low wages, their certifications are not recognized outside of the YMCA. Use them to gain experience if it works for you but get out as soon as you can.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

12.9K