YMCA

Canada2,022 reviews

Found 2,022 reviews matching the searchSee all 31,603 reviews
membershipchildkidcampvolunteergymactivitycentre

Friendly Environment, Poor Pay and Bad Equipment

Other staff members are very friendly and helpful towards both eachother and members. Unfortunately the pay is too low to stay for an extended period of time. Equipment at the desk is constantly malfunctioning and communication is poor between departments.

Excellent Chance to assist with community

The Y offers an excellent learning opportunity for young adults, and great ways to develop social skillsThe programs expose you to a lot of different activities

Pros

Helping People

Cons

Limited placements

Average Experience

A challenging but rewarding job working with children. Like most, it is vastly undervalued and underpaid. Often need to work unpaid overtime to make ends meet.

Rece

I loved the kids and my co-workers. Everyone is quite supportive of each other.There is a lot of work outside of work hours that you don’t get compensated for though and pay sucks :(

Run

I have worked for the Y for almost 10 years. They don’t value their employees. They are desperate for staff so they’ll hire anyone just to fill the room with a body…which only makes our jobs more difficult. The work-life balance is awful, I go home every day beaten up, exhausted and stressed. There is TOO MUCH to do in a day between caring for the children, daily entries for play experiences, program planning, administrative tasks, documentation writing, no enhanced staffing for children with special needs…the pay is not enough for the scope of our work. Other centres are paying more money for the job with less day to day stress. No cost of living increases…no pay increase for the staff that worked through multiple lockdowns and suffered mentally and physically everyday during that time. Raises are a joke. I get paid nearly the same as an educator who is brand new to the YMCA after all these years. I have brought this all up to a supervisor and nothing has changed. Supervisors will throw staff under the bus to save face. Made to feel badly about taking time off. It’s all ridiculous.

Great Place, But Make Sure It’s Want You Want

Great work environment and people! Families and children are wonderful, you build steady relationships. Management is good, but I think there can be a bit of favouritism. Colleagues are great, you learn to work with people from diverse backgrounds.

Over worked, underpaid, political

Understaffed and underpaidUnfair work environment based on resources Work from home is great It ended up being a charity that doesn’t care about its employees

Fun, but stressful

Camp jobs was so fun! The best coworkers, super nice and compassionate coordinators and supporting staff. These jobs will make your summer unforgettable, especially with the free membership!However, you will have to spend long hours with kids-- and burnout is real! It is definitely heavy work for someone working minimum wage (and the amount of training you need for child care)

Pros

Free membership, fun coworkers

Cons

Drama, Burnout, Long Hours on feet

Good job to learn but not stay to long

I worked at the Northumberland YMCA Facility team but honestly the expectations were high for little pay. Often they will ask you to work 7 days a week plus on call time with lieu time but no pay. Honestly trying to use your lieu time will never happen and they will try to book your time when they want you off. Good place to learn but get what you need and move on. Management will not address problems so don't waste your time trying to go that route.

Was good at first, quickly became overwhelming.

Loved the kids that I got to know and spend time with, very fulfilling, did impact me in some positive ways, good wage, had some awesome coworkers that made the job more doable. Hours soon became piled on, felt like I was being taken advantage of most of the time. Unrealistic expectations for the position, and felt as though I did not get fully informed for what I was signing up for. I truly gave this position my all, and enjoyed the little moments and breakthroughs I had with the youth the most. Pretty toxic work environment though, became anxious before going to work, felt like I didn't have any support and that my concerns were not being addressed. At times my presence was completely ignored, and I felt pretty neglected at the end of my time at this workplace. Really poor communication overall, and when I left there was some significant personal liability issues that came with the role.

Working with School Age is fun and positive energy.

I learned a lot through the workshops about how children grow and developAlways positive energyYou feel that you are doing something that helps others when you teach children social values ​​through playing and drawingIt is fun working with them.

Horrible place for employees

Poor management the coworkers and very mean, disrespectful and rude and very stressful to work with. Everyone is constantly complaining about other staff. Management does absolutely nothing about the complaints . Too much work and constantly moving

Awful upper management

Too political. They don’t appreciate the daily staff who keep that place running. Felt belittled, and taken advantage of. Other than that, “lower class staff” was amazing and the member connections you make are life changing.

Not a welcoming environment

when you join you will be left alone, its upto you sink or float. It's takes atleat few months for your team members to accept you as a team member. You are lucky if your supervisor is good otherwise it will be very hard to survive

Pros

You can learn a lot only with your own efforts

Cons

favoritism, pressure, no job security

It is fun working in YMCA with children. One can learn a lot of new things and gain hands on experience. Everyone in supportive and have an inclusive work culture.

Good people, bad management.

You're taught almost nothing about their equipment, and are taught conflicting things by multiple parties due to the fact that they don't actually have a training system set up. Management is horrible and outright hired an autistic person for "sh*ts and giggles" (their words, not mine). The general staff is rather pleasing to be around, in deep contrast to the higher ups. GM should be in a different position due to the fact that they cannot competently do their job. There wasn't much worth sticking around for, and that aforementioned GM tried to punk me for my paycheck....I got my money.

Great job, terrible pay

I was a certified personal trainer for over a year, I absolutely loved the job. The clients and staff were amazing there, had no issues with management. The pay was just terrible, I believe it's $1.00 above minimum wage. I had to quit strictly due to the money, but if they paid more I would've 100% stayed.

Great Place to grow.

The YMCA.organzation is place you can grow and succeed. You have countless opportunities for professional developments and career growth. I have worked with the organization for over 10 years and would recommend it to anyone who is starting off in the ece feild

Pros

Great Team

Inspiring, calm and fun

Great place to work. Membership included. Good people and an positive work experience all around! One of my favourite places to be and work! So many benefits of being an employee at the ymca

Great place

Awesome place to work, I was supply and there was consistency from one site to the next. Staff was always working together and very friendly. I leant a lot from them. Some supervisors are hard on staff but it’s because they have the responsibility of ensuring the kids are safe.

Great Co Workers Management does not care about staff

minimum wageno breaksworking long shifts by yourselfYMCA management doesn't follow the values they promote for their staff sadly.Many of us got very sick working there with major health issues related to stress on the job, long hours with little pay and no breaks.

Pros

free gym membership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement