Here to help: Coronavirus update

YMCA Employee Reviews

Canada1,954 reviews
Found 1,954 reviews matching the search
It is family friendly, great staff
I think in the family zone we need 2 to 3 staff in there depending on how many children there are if there are teenagers I think someone has to put some sort or rules up about using the T.V. and the X Boxes so that they don't get broken.
self care is fundumental
YMCA is an environment that take care of staffs, parents and students. everyone feels respected and belong. we believe that everyone is to treated equally and that need of the children are paramount.
Productive and new experience gained.
- A typical day at work was similar, but clients were different since there are so many clients coming in and out daily bases.

- I've gained a lot of experience from the YMCA.

-> Working with a blind client

-> New working atmosphere (GYM)

- There wasn't really any hardest part of the job because co-workers were operative and the working atmosphere was very relaxed.
volunteer
 Responsible over 6 participants in ensuring that group activities were performed correctly according to session leader
 Successfully completed first aid and junior lifeguard training at YMCA programs
The work space was fun and friendly!
I worked with an after school activity group for girls, and it was always fun and friendly! This job was a student job so it was not a job to take if you were looking to make enough money to live off of. They supplied training and the management was amazing, always friendly and understanding.
Pros
Fun
Cons
not enough $$
Not great
Not much room to advance in the company
Supervisors don't communicate with each other or front line staff well

You feel dispensable

Great co-workers

Good maintenance team

Great IT dept
Amazing job with a lot to take away from it.
I learned a great amount and this job is highly recommended, extremely friendly and helpful co-workers as well as amazing benefits and opportunities which help a lot.
Fun collaborative experience
At YMCA I was taught the value of being apart of the team. I realized that to get a job you must be capable of working with your partners. I realized that not one person is able to reach their full potential without the help of their companions.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at YMCA?
Excellent place
YMCA is a wonderful organization to work for! I am having a wonderful time with my team and manager! An incredibly supportive and friendly place to be!
Fun workplace
I worked there for over 4 years and it's a great place to work while in school, you have regular shifts and diverse tasks. The staff and management are very team-oriented and welcoming.
fun workplace supporting , collaborate
Stressful position ,team work in good environment , supporting organization, friendly environment with ongoing support and training. good benefits and pension plan.
not bad
The place is very clean and has really good staff as a volunteer you have to work hard to keep up with the scheduled programs and to make sure that all the equipment is probably set up. overall it was a nice experience and i got a chance to meet new people
Fun, productive workplace.
During summer I would attend to the needs of the camp instructors. I would run errands for them, prepare food for the kids in attendance, and exercise my leadership in camp games.
Great place to work!
I had the most wonderful supervisor who cared deeply about her staff! She was an inspiration...
I met many caring, supportive people who all shared the desire to help others!

There are lots of training and advancement opportunities within the system so that we were equipped to best help those we served.
Relaxed and joyful.
The job itself was great, but the staff were a bit difficult to get along with. Staff benefits were good. Got to meet some great people and interact with all diferent types of familes.
It wasn’t pleasant
The management was not always helpful and a lot of my bosses were rude and treated us poorly. They would make a huge mess then have us clean it. They treated us (volunteers) like we were inferior. The higher management was nicer, but the people that I directly worked with were not always nice.
It wasn’t pleasant
its like a typical day at work. the facility is nice, and its an affordable cost to get in too. what i learned there by just volunteering is how costumer service works and that's pretty cool
I loved working here
I loved working here the only issue was they did not have enough hours which was disappointing because I loved it her.................................
Bullying runs rampant,
At The YMCA of Northern BC men are allowed to sexually harass their co-workers and not only does upper management not allow you to report it, they will often find a reason to fire you or cut back your hours as a result. It is an extremely toxic workplace and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Forced Volunteering, toxic work environment, bullying condoned.
fun
very good place to work in..everyone is very friendly and ready to help. it's team work..fair environnement. Plenty of room to grow and every was very nice