YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 2,013 reviews matching the search
I really enjoyed working with the children , even as a camp counsellor during the summer.I liked the variety of work locations in rural Huron County. Driving to and from work was beautiful and peaceful.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Part time employment not sustainable
various positions to work at within the company. Very thoughtful towards staff personal situations and how it may effect work. Staff is there to help work through any situation, (personal, or work related) in order to make going to work a easier task to face.
Pros
flexible, many positions within company
depending on what you do and where, this might vary but I found Ymca to be a very cool place to work at with not much stress involved. Of course this is only if you do what you're supposed to do. The pay for a lifeguard of my experience really disappointed me, It seems Ymca values its instructors ALOT more in every way. Other than this though it was a cool spot which gives you a FREE MEMBERSHIP so I loved it more than I disliked it.
Pros
chill environnement, friendly people, Free membership(10$)
Cons
meh pay, volatile hours
Good experience in my work time with this company. The Principal and her team workers were the people who handled the best for clients and caregivers.
Pros
Christmas lunches free to her clients and caregivers.
Cons
free update on courses needed for caregivers.
They are not supportive or care about their employees at all. There is no opportunity for improvement. I have to drive long distance for just three hours work. They didn’t pay for petrol.
I have made several new friends over the years since I worked there and they were very helpful in my job. Plus, I got to meet some very interesting people!!!
Pros
Free membership
Cons
No air conditioning during summertime
Awesome working experience but sucks if you are bouncing from school to school because you cant make solid connections with peers and kids. Good pay but could get stuck with minimal hours.
Pros
Can make my own schedule
Cons
Summer time barely any hours
They live to their label of being the No.1 non-profit childcare institution. They have high standards with their staff and they expect them to be really efficient and perform their duties well
Pros
Good benefits
High stress job for mediocre pay. Little to no support from management. A sink or swim type of environment.Having a good work/life balance is frequently talked about, but there are few supports in place for this to be possible. New job duties constantly being added with little training and no additional pay.
Bonne expérience avec accès annuel au Gym YMCA ça vaut la peine
Pros
Gym et piscine gratuit
Cons
Pas de stabilité
If you are not liked you will be treated accordingly. Limited areas to move up in. Management is only there for each other and will sweep important things under the rug.
Pros
You get to work with amazing children and help them grow and to be successful.
Cons
Harassment, bullying, favourtism, lack of support, lack of confidentiality, unprofessional, tocix work environment
It is a very calming place mentally to work with children specially their warm hugs when you enter the center and they welcome you. Sometime its too cold to take them out but it is always joyful to be with them.
I love this place I would suggest it to anyone starting a new job. The YMCA has made me who I am today the staff members are supportive and helpful in hard times and will always be there for you.
low morale. low pay. do three times as much works as you should to make the "boss" look good. after covid, ill never clean again. run down and desperate for reliable workers. big promises. no delivery. turned down a 35k salary for a "gov't" pension job. phhhh waste of time and regret working for them.
I have learnt so much over the past year working with the Y. It was a pleasant experience from management to staff. Most people are friendly and helpful.
YMCA is an amazing place to work! Very welcoming of all and everyone is energetic and positive. It is a very rewarding job and I always felt accomplished after work.
The work culture is amazing at the YMCA of Northern BC. The job does demand a lot for the pay. Keep in mind it is a non-profit, so there are strict margins for pay rate with not much room for negotiation, and they ask you to include so much within your job. I was going home and spending an additional 2-3 hours on work and never felt like I was caught up. Amazing place to work, but you must be willing to WORK for it.
Great company. Interaction an communication skills, pAtience. Meet new people everytime. Flexible schedule on a bus route. Personality check. Easy going. Great place to work for if passion is to help others.
The YMCA is A place where you learn skills for the work environment and learn what is expected of you Overall the YMCA was a very comfortable also responsible so work still gets finished.
Pros
Learning what what is expected from me and my colleagues
Cons
The cons for me personally is the location of the company
Did this on a volunteer basis for 3 years while in middle school and into high school. It was fun dealing with the children and wasn’t that bad when I first started but it had quickly started getting worse. I had gotten along with my boss but I did not get along with most of the supervisors. There was a lot of drama, and favouritism among workers who tended to slack off a lot, which I found very unprofessional. I was left out of the loop for most things and got failed for no reason during one of the certification courses. It seemed like bullying at its finest. I was unhappy there for a very long time until I left.
Pros
Dealing with children
Cons
Poor management, co workers, drama, bullying
I enjoyed my 5 years with the YMCA of Quinte West. It was a really great environment. I liked that I could go in and do my job and then go to the gym after.
Pros
Great people to work with. Makes living a healthy lifestyle easy as you are already at the gym.
Cons
There was nkt much room to advance, only short shifts were available.
  1. Employee reviews