YMCA Employee Reviews

Fun, positive learning experience.
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 August 2018
Every day was positive and enjoyable. I learned about workplace culture and safety. Staff was always smiling making you feel welcome. 60 hours was a breeze.
what started off as a great experience turned into a nightmare
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  niagara region11 August 2018
I worked for this organization for a very long time. In the beginning it was an amazing experience. Then in the last few years the experience changed. I never felt like I belonged. I would ask for help and not receive it in the way I hoped I would. I felt that the team was divided and the supervisor and management played favourites. Then after an incident that happened with others involved I was let go and others got to keep their positions. I felt like management used me as a scapegoat. So what started as a wonderful experience ended with a negative note.
benefits
Cons
poor management, gossiping about other staff to other staff, divided team by supervisor, not feeling appreciated
pleasant place to work. welcoming staff
youth program leader (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB9 August 2018
friendly workers, easy to work with . only reason for leaving was due to lack of work hours i was receiving. very well managed business, great management.
Pros
friendly
Cons
hours
Great company to work for
RECE (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON9 August 2018
I really enjoyed working at the Y before and regret leaving. The team was supportive and the company's philosophy stands apart from other childcares. The Ymca really does stand apart from the rest and what I felt working there was a good feeling, something I did not feel anywhere else. It is caring and encouraging. It cares about its staff and fairness, whereas other places dont.
very fun workplace
member services (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 August 2018
ymca has one of the best workplace cultures that i have ever been in, all the staff are kind and welcoming as well as the members. the workload is not very tough which makes it a very fun enviroment.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
early opening hours
Staff
Summer Student Position ending mid- August 2018 (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB7 August 2018
Everyone I was able to work with was very friendly and willing to help. I was able to fit in well and it is a very inclusive environment. It seems to have a lot of newer people working there.
Best volunteering experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 August 2018
I started to do my volunteering job when I just came to Canada about a year ago, it was one of the best experience of all times, I was working waitpeople from all around the world and it made me happy how well they treated each other. I learn a lot about a lot of cultures and hoot respect and love each of them.
My boss was one of the best people I know here in Canada, and he became one of my friends, he helped me in every single way he could and gave the opportunity to work and help people that were in need just like me. He taught me everything I needed to know and more.
I welcomed Refugees from different parts of the world just like they received me when I came in the same situation, and that feeling I always save it in my heart.
Pros
Excellent enviroment
Cons
no breaks
before and after school program supervisor
Program Supervisor - Educator (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON7 August 2018
great environment to work , it is an awesome experience to work with children from different background, families structures. it is a very rewarding position because It helps you grow as a person ask as an educator
Horrible place to work
After School Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 August 2018
Stay clear of this place. Pay is minimum wage even if you are taking care of kids 8 hours a day. You do not receive lunch breaks or any break of that sort. The management does not treat you like a person and they would prefer if you simply do what they say without asking questions. Overall, management is unfair and unfriendly. If you think working in the after school program will help you in the future, trust me it will not.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Bad management, mis treatment of employees, very low pay
Very friendly place
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB27 July 2018
i work as a clean but some times i would do other jobs if need like maintenance or front desk.the place was always happy and willing to help any one that needed help to make the member feel like home
Pros
same time free food
Cons
too long lunch
Friendly Place
Yoga Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Rio Grande do Sul24 July 2018
People very friendly and helpful.
The yoga teacher was amazing and gave me a lot of advice.
The yoga room was remodeled so it was very comfortable.
The best part of the job was taking yoga classes in the regular hours.
It was okay.
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 July 2018
I would check in for my volunteering then help out and check out. I was not provided benefits but i believe that was because i was just a volunteer. The overall working experience wasnt the best. Washrooms and change rooms looked run down too.
El mejor ambiente de trabajo
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Granby23 July 2018
El lugar de trabajo se encontraba a 5 minutos de mi casa caminando. Todos mis compañeros compartíamos en mismo espacio, pero no se sentía abrumado porque era amplio y limpio. Hay libertad para hablar y divertirse mientras cumples con tus responsabilidades.
Pretty terrible place to work
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2018
Lifeguard: You hours are never scheduled anywhere close to what you asked for, they pay lowest of any pool, teaching is a complete hassle due to the pre-planning they force you to do, they only run single lifeguard due to the low incident rates but for 2 hours on and 15 minute off, due to the single guard you never interact with other people and so there is not the faintest heartbeat of a culture within the aquatic department. In the end, unless you want to essentially volunteer and get pennies for it, would not go back.
Pros
Free Plus Membership
Cons
Scheduleing, Management, Paperwork, Pay, Interpersonal Comm
Good place to volutneer
Child Care and Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON19 July 2018
I loved working there but my manager was a croissant and no on ever explained why, I never got any help from him. I would love to work there again. Thank you YMCA
Fun with patrons bad management
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Niagara Region18 July 2018
Patrons were awesome!!! Staff I worked with were fantastic! Management on the other hand.... many of them had no idea how to manage and seemed to have lots of time on their hands to gossip, Facebook, text etc.... this created a negative environment. In the future, coordinators need to respect staff equally and work with them and not think they are sooo much more superior...
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Too many to mention
Lifeguard
Swim Instructor and Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Flamborough, ON18 July 2018
Pros- flexible shifts, great kids in programs, amazing co-workers. You get in what you put out so honor your shifts or get coverage.

Cons-make sure to have a good relationship with your supervisor or you may suffer. Lax communication between senior staff (managers) and underlings. Prepare to clean as Lifeguards are meant to be cleaning if it is a small number of pool attendants. Minimum wage unless you work "Premium hours" (lessons or in the hours of 8:00-4:00).
fun workplace great people
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC13 July 2018
The ymca is a great and healthy place. lots of staff members so there is no complications. fair and reasonable hours, no conflicts between staff or manger.
Pros
great people
Cons
babies crying
a good work place for stable life
Full-time Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 July 2018
everything is good. good work culture, nice colleagues, sweet directors, good benefits. the only thing is that salary is not high. but the benefits are really good.
Pros
good benefits, nice colleagues, good culture
Cons
low income
Working with others
Scorekeeper for league volleyball (Former Employee) –  Tugaske, SK12 July 2018
A work day would be normally as usually for everyone else, I can Learn really quick. I also like talking to other people and helping them out with information i can give

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

59.6K