YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 1,539 reviews matching the search See all 23,933 reviews
Fun at first and then changes
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Ontario18 January 2019
I have worked for the YMCA for 8 years. When I first started, I thoroughly enjoyed my job. Now 8 years later, things have drastically changed.

I love working with the children and families in my program. However, the supervisors tend to play favourites and you get nowhere unless you are “besties” with your supervisor.

My supervisor makes me feel stupid and like I don’t know how to do my job. Management doesn’t appreciate loyal, hardworking employees who have been around for awhile. Management is not always reachable when needed or can take awhile to respond.

The core values are great but in my experience are practiced very little by management and supervisors.

Not much chance for advancement unless you are “besties” with your supervisor. Sometimes feel bullied by management.

The benefits aren’t great but at least they do offer benefits once you work enough hours.

sometimes will need to go to work when sick due to no call in staff.
Pros
Great coworkers and families
Cons
Hourly wage, poor management, poor supervisors, poor chance of advancement
Dysfunctional management with over inflated egos
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 September 2018
-Fun working with kids, and supporting them and the families, learning practical and hands on skills,very rewarding

-Extremely poor management,with over inflated egos that rewards bad behavior not rewarding or appreciating loyal hard workers,very dysfunctional culture,lack of proper leadership skills

-Can't speak up, give constructive feedback/criticism towards management, not even brig new and alternative ideas

-Their core values are great but not practiced at all by management

-No room for advancement , but protect "Team leaders" that bully their staff, talks down to kids and parents

-No workplace accommodation or breaks are respected when working long shifts specially during summer day camp shifts and management's response was" BC workplace standards doesn't have regulation for childcare workers
Benefits
Cons
Poor management, pay, short and split shifts, favoritism, no room to grow/move up, no breaks when working full shifts, no accommodation
Part-Time Staff
Youth Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Central East Ontario7 February 2019
I was a student while at the YMCA so I did not have a salary, benefits or job security.

I also would not say in my specific job that there were a lot of opportunities for advancement but I was a teenager in high school at the time. However, we did a lot of training that we gained certificates from that were very beneficial and we did not have to pay any extra to be involved in the training.

The job itself I absolutely loved. Working with kids is always a very rewarding experience. The YMCA overall has a great atmosphere and does a lot of great things for families and youth. It really was amazing to be a part of that and I will always cherish my time at the YMCA.
Pros
Fun, ample chance for creativity in program planning, overall great atmosphere
terrible pay
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton Burlington Brantford17 February 2019
The pay is terrible. If you are looking for a well paid job do not apply here. I love this job as a whole. I have a hard time getting paid next to nothing. I get paid .10 less then someone who’s been with the company for 15 years. How does that makes sense? Children are great but we are asked to do a tone of paper work. It makes it hard to do my job and teach when I have to document everything happening everyday.
The staff are fabulous, children are great and management is amazing.
We just need to get paid more.
Pros
Free lunch with the children
Cons
Long hours/ horrible pay.
Unsupportive and Stressful
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2019
Lack of support by management, work to life balance was awful and family life was not respected. Management had unachievable expectations of staff and training was limited to help support new learning. High turn over rates caused limited staff in day care centers which fell on the directors. Mental health was disrespected and when hard ships arise management did not offer solutions to help those in need. Terrible environment and would never suggest someone to apply at the YMCA.
Pros
Professional Development
Cons
Long hours, unachievable expectations
Fun workplace, bad management
Swim Instructor & Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2018
I had a great time working with the other staff but management here is a mess. There were multiple cases of wrongful termination in which employees made complaints, some of harassment, and instead of dealing with them management terminated their employment and paid them off to not share what happened. If you keep your mouth shut its a relaxed atmosphere, but they really don't care about quality of work. I saw some the most amazing instructors get replaced by ones who allowed children to nearly drown because of politics.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Horrible Management
Very friendly atmosphere and productive
Youth Job Specialist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON14 January 2019
I worked from 9 in the morning to 3 in the afternoon, Monday to Friday. Staff in YMCA are very friendly, easy to get along with, very helpful and open to share their knowledge in terms of work assignment. They are willing to give their time and effort to show the different company programs and services. The ambiance are so great. They are very flexible and versatile in terms of delivering their services to people. I learned a lot in Case Management, Intake and Assessment. Helping client in Resource Center Area and assisted the New Immigrants and Youth Job Facilitator during workshops and Job Fair. The workplace were very dynamic and open to different cultures. Also, I attended monthly meetings with coordinators and staff. The most enjoyable part of my work was working with different kind of client everyday from the Youth to New Immigrants. Encouraging and supporting clients during Job Fair interviews. Seeing the clients happy in receiving their support from YMCA. While the hardest part of my job was seeing the client haven't received the programs and services they need. Leaving YMCA after the On-the-job training.
what started off as a great experience turned into a nightmare
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  niagara region11 August 2018
I worked for this organization for a very long time. In the beginning it was an amazing experience. Then in the last few years the experience changed. I never felt like I belonged. I would ask for help and not receive it in the way I hoped I would. I felt that the team was divided and the supervisor and management played favourites. Then after an incident that happened with others involved I was let go and others got to keep their positions. I felt like management used me as a scapegoat. So what started as a wonderful experience ended with a negative note.
benefits
Cons
poor management, gossiping about other staff to other staff, divided team by supervisor, not feeling appreciated
YMCA - a community which in turn helps the community
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON11 September 2018
Although the YMCA is to practice it's values I feel that this is forgotten in many instances. Not by all but by many key players within the organization unfortunately.
The YMCA gives so much to the community and is a great organization to work. There seems to be advancement for those who "follow" all the rules and unfortunately the ones that truly work hard and take pride in their work are forgotten.
It is an experience to work there most definitely and a work family is developed but advancement is not always there unfortunately.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Lack of advancement
Fun place to work
Director- Aquatics (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 September 2018
I really loved my career at the YMCA. The culture and the people were fantastic. The members were always great to get to know and it had a amazing family vibe.

Hardest part of the job was the long hours I put in due to a staff shortage.

Most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers and the members
Depends on where you're working...
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 May 2018
I worked at a few different sectors within the YMCA so it depends on where you are in terms of job culture. Management also depends - I've had amazing supervisors who are so understanding and you wish they'd never leave... but they usually do. Some managers are awful and will literally prey on you for no reason other than they want to get their staff in to that centre. The pay however, as an ECE, is really great compared to everywhere else I've worked. Same with the benefits - best I've had. No real chance for advancement, just lateral transfers.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
No advancement
A bitter sweet experience
Employment Counsellor/Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 September 2018
The work environment was amazing. The program I helped run was a great opportunity to meet amazing people around the province. But there were very long hours of work at a very low salary with no benefits. It was a great job to have but not one I wanted to hang onto as a permanent job. And I also started seeing the negative political side of the organization and felt I needed to leave this place that did not practice what they preached.
Cons
Low salary and no benefits
Good Place to work
FACILITIES TEAM LEAD (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 January 2019
Not much room for advancement but friendly people and management is good for the most part. You will have a lot of fun working here and enjoy your time. It is an amazing part-time job but if you are looking for somewhere you can advance I suggest you look elsewhere
Pretty terrible place to work
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2018
Lifeguard: You hours are never scheduled anywhere close to what you asked for, they pay lowest of any pool, teaching is a complete hassle due to the pre-planning they force you to do, they only run single lifeguard due to the low incident rates but for 2 hours on and 15 minute off, due to the single guard you never interact with other people and so there is not the faintest heartbeat of a culture within the aquatic department. In the end, unless you want to essentially volunteer and get pennies for it, would not go back.
Pros
Free Plus Membership
Cons
Scheduleing, Management, Paperwork, Pay, Interpersonal Comm
Ok for starting career
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  North York, ON12 February 2019
For a non profit company, they are careless toward their staff and clients. They do not care for their well being, personal life and growth. Be mindful working here. They will exploit you and leave you cold to dry.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Pay, Benefits, Management
Great learning opportunities
Director of a Health Fitness and Aquatics (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC15 October 2018
I loved working in the non for profit sector. I was able to meet and connect with many people and social groups of all ages. The payscale was on the lower end for the job description, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Great benefits, training opportunities and contacts
Cons
Low wages for management
Fun workplace with energetic people who love to work with children
YMCA After School Care Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON30 January 2019
A typical day consists of me setting up a space, and stations for the children to play at during program time. Washroom routines are mandatory at the beginning of the shift for the children.

The culture in the workplace is great, working with very nice hard working people who love children as much as me.

The hardest part of the job would have to be dealing with the behavioral issues from certain children. Also working with a team member can also be difficult when you do not see eye to eye with them about certain things involved in the job, or when you feel you are doing more of the share of work then them. Also dealing with parents who choose not want to converse with you for their own reasons.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be hearing about all the stories the children have to say to you. You really feel like you are a role model to them, when they come to you for advice, or help them out with anything. Playing with them as well is always a fun time for both the children and us. Seeing a smile on their face, always puts one on mine as well. Also conversing with the parents is another thing that is enjoyable because most of them are very respectful and trust that their child is in good hands with you so it makes for a positive workplace.
Pros
free lunches, access to a YMCA gym membership, good management
Cons
draining and tiring even though you are there for 3 hours.
Fun working atmosphere
Program Staff (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC20 November 2018
Great team to be apart of. Fantastic group atmosphere and the culture within the organisation is second to none. The most enjoyable part is providing youth with programs to help benefit them in all aspects of life.
Pros
working with youth
Cons
salary
a perfect place to learn and grow
child/youth volunteer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 December 2018
An amazing to spend time with family and really just grow as an individual. A safe community environment for all ages. Staff and management are the nicest people.
Pros
are flexible
Cons
YMCA has a passion for customer service & getting work done
Admin Support, Philanthropy & Vol. Dev. (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB15 February 2019
A wide variety of administrative task, supporting management, team work & working with a variety of individuals from all walks of life.

My ability to support and execute department responsibilities is one of my strongest assets. My track record demonstrates strong administrative, coordinating and customer service skills as well as experience creating, maintaining and managing various spreadsheets of statistical information.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
reduced hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

510.4K