YMCA Employee Reviews

Excellent opportunities to learn more about children and their needs
Before and After school kindergarten supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON19 October 2018
Working with families is very rewarding. This company allows educators to organize programs in a personal way to meet the needs of children including those children with special needs.
Pros
many opportunities to enhance skills
Cons
very high expectations but not enough time in a program to meet them
maintenance director
Maintenance Director (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB16 October 2018
A typical day was quite varied. It included maintenance of hot tub, pool, gym equipment, change rooms, bathrooms, floors, etc. Hardest part was probably getting up at 4:00 AM. Meeting and talking to clients made this a very enjoyable job.
Great learning opportunities
Director of a Health Fitness and Aquatics (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC15 October 2018
I loved working in the non for profit sector. I was able to meet and connect with many people and social groups of all ages. The payscale was on the lower end for the job description, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Great benefits, training opportunities and contacts
Cons
Low wages for management
Superviseur
Intervenant auprès des jeunes (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 October 2018
Les superviseurs était très compréhensible et s'assure de la bonne condition des employés
Great place to work.
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON14 October 2018
The YMCA is a great place to work. I absolutely loved it there! Very fun, a multi-dimensional place to work. I really enjoyed that you can work in a variety of programs.
A Review of the YMCA
Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 October 2018
The YMCA Company Made for people to improve there lives, Physically Excellent place to work, you could find you must be a passion Free room and board Many Programmes teach them and yourself important skills.
Pros
Large water-park and Gym
Cons
mostly focus on on the Grade sixes, Have a really small basketball court, To many programs creamed into a small YMCA
Was great
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON12 October 2018
Did this for a summer in high school and it was a great opportunity. Consistent hours 5 days a week and provided training in CPR and first aid. Kids at my camp were great but I can't speak for other locations.
Good job for more experience.
Before and After Program (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB12 October 2018
It's a great job if you have another one because the hours are really flexible and the management is really understandable for students that are trying to get educated and are in uni.
Pros
Good Hours.
Cons
Nothing.
A place where work doesn't have to be boring.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Rio Grande do Sul9 October 2018
- Well managed.
- Good, hardworking employees.
- A great place to grow.
- A good relationship between employers and employees.
- I learned to overcome obstacles as efficiently and professionally I as can.
nice place to work
Yoga Instructor (Former Employee) –  West Island, QC9 October 2018
Very pleasant work place to work. good work ethics. good benefits like free gym and free admissions to fitness classes for employees. Good place to work.
Fun and Productive
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 October 2018
Get to work for around 7 am , meet up with other counsellors and pan he day out for the kids to arrive .
I learned a bunch of organzation skills.
Managament there were nice .
Workplace cuulture : Great , energentic and fun
hardest part : waking up
enjoyable part : Having fun all day with the kids
Pros
doing fun activities
Cons
Good Place too work, but managed extremely poorly.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 October 2018
The patrons and coworkers were wonderful people and the work was engaging and enjoyable however it was very poorly managed so lots of organizational problems which could have been fixed quite easily but was never dealt with.
Fun environment with lots to do
Lifeguard/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2018
Many activities you are able to do at the YMCA. It's an all age ranged environment. Everyone is very friendly. The gym is very good and swimming is always enjoyable.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Gossiping
Friendly environment
Language School Instructor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 October 2018
Great administration and supervisors, very fair. You don't get many hours when you start and there is no constant schedule, so you never know your income next month.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
unstable demand
Little Pay
Substitute YPHD Recreation Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 October 2018
The YMCA was a great opportunity and I had a lot of fun working there however, the pay is nearly minimum wage and you received no appreciation for the hard-work you do.
Also, the majority of the staff at the site I was located were cliquey and when a conflict would arise, it would make the entire staff member group feel awkward and weird. I would not work for the YMCA again.
Pros
Great kids
Cons
Shift work, little pay, no appreciation
Placement Opportunity
Workshop Facilitator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON26 September 2018
I was a Youth Services Facilitator. I would assist/lead teaching in Employment Services workshops that help youth develop employable skills and habits. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the youth apply the skills learned within workshops, and being successful in the field.
SO much fun
Head Lifeguard/Swim Instructor/Deck Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ON22 September 2018
Working at the Y has always been a pleasant experience for me with both the clients and the management. every day was a new learning experience and tons of fun.
Loved my co-workers
Family Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB18 September 2018
good work environment, supervisor can be difficult to deal with. Has an idea of how they want things done and doesn't always communicate clearly and then gets upset when its not done.
Pros
understanding
Cons
too much paperwork
Fun place to work
Director- Aquatics (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 September 2018
I really loved my career at the YMCA. The culture and the people were fantastic. The members were always great to get to know and it had a amazing family vibe.

Hardest part of the job was the long hours I put in due to a staff shortage.

Most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers and the members
Fun workplace
Sarnia - Gymnastics volunteer instructor (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON17 September 2018
This was a fun and friendly environment, very including. I enjoyed working here as it taught me leadership skills and responsibility. I would work here again

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

59.9K