YMCA Employee Reviews

fun and active
taekwondo volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 April 2018
I volunteered in Taekwondo classes because I was a black belt and my responsibilities included teaching the younger belts their blocks, kicks and patterns.
Pros
nice people
Cons
The YMCA is very good place to begin a career.
Project Director (Former Employee) –  On a project site.13 April 2018
My experience at the YMCA was very good. I was able to observe the culture and their business model. As a non profit corporation they were pretty clear on their directives. The YMCA provided a supportive culture.
Pros
Great career place for those seeking to help others.
Great Place to Be
RECE Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brooklin, ON13 April 2018
I love the level of training opportunities they provide as well as the level of commitment they display for the curriculum they develop and maintain. For the most part I am quite happy with the team I work with, there are occasional squabbles but they are quickly resolved.
Pros
YMCA Membership, Good Wages, Team Atmosphere
Cons
Part Time, Split Shift
Its a fun place to work
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 April 2018
The YMCA is a fun place to work because you can play with the kids and make little friends.
The workplace culture is awesome because the employees are really friendly and they are always ready to help.
Pros
Able to play with kids
Fantantic job, work environment, team and parents
Assistant Swimming Coach, Special Olympics (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON12 April 2018
A fantastic job, the coaches and the team were fantastic. The parents we a joy to work with as well. The team did very well and won ribbons for their efforts.
Pros
Great Place to Work
Cons
Volunteer work
Enjoyable but not rewarding
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 April 2018
Fun and dynamic organization. Great for character building. However they're a non-profit organization and it shows on your pay check. Expect to give a lot and receive a little.
Pros
great culture
Cons
low pay
worst management
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB10 April 2018
let me go because it wasn't working out and you have to bend over backwards to impress them or you will be let go before your 3 months is up.....good people but horrible to work for
Fulfilling and welcoming environment
LINC Instructor, Newcomer Connections (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB10 April 2018
Employees generally feel welcome and supported. Health benefits and free gym membership available to all staff. Enriching, all-inclusive environment is the Y's strength.
Pros
Health benefits for staff, cafeteria on site
Cons
Full-time work is not always available
Great place to work - also came with free use of the facilities when not working.
Facility Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 April 2018
I cleaned change rooms, washrooms, a gymnasium, racquetball courts, fitness areas and multi-purpose rooms. I also washed, dried, and folded towels.
I worked with great people and one of the people I met became a friend and later became my husband.
The hardest part of the job was working as a night cleaner while I was pregnant with my daughter due to the work being physically demanding - it was difficult to bend over towards the end - and some fatigue issues. When I came back to work after maternity leave it seems like I was always tired also from being up with the baby etc...That was the biggest challenge but that should in no way reflect badly on the job or the facility - it was not their fault.
I always like cleaning/laundry jobs and this was the third cleaning/laundry job that I did. I worked for two summer camps prior cleaning washrooms, cabins, and rec halls, doing a variety of other maintenance tasks as required and doing camper, staff, and kitchen laundry.
I really enjoy both cleaning and laundry - I can tangibly see the progress I make, I take pride in doing it well, and it is not mentally/emotionally draining.
Exciting place to work
Lifeguard/ Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Canada7 April 2018
Enjoyed working there though there were few opportunities for advancement. Worked both front desk at member services as well as in the pool as lifeguard and swim instructor.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
little chance to advance
Productive and a nice working environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 April 2018
I want to work in a very cozy environment that's a bit challenging. Hopefully a place that would bring out my hidden potentials. I want to be able to gain work and gain enough experience to catapult me to the top.
Cons
It was fun and I had a great time but the pay and availability were just decent
Summer Day Camps Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2018
it was ok and I had a good time but I wasn't advancing my career at all, and I was barely making enough money.
The culture was great, everyone was having fun and they cared about employee satisfaction.
Pros
fun
Cons
not a lot of money
A really inclusive and welcoming environment
Counseller (Current Employee) –  YMCA Camp Pine Crest5 April 2018
An inclusive, welcoming, and loving environment fit for all ages. It should pride itself on its ability to generate strong leaders who have developed a level of stewardship that is uncommon in most workplaces.
Very good and stable workplace
YMCA (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 April 2018
Stable work to be in, good management and workers, hours and flexible times, hard workers, customer service great, kind and friendly, overall amazing place to be in
Child Care Centre Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Niagara, ON4 April 2018
Love working for the Y, committed, fun and likeminded people to be around. Everyone is very friendly and every supervisor I’ve had has been incredibly supportive. Obviously as a charitable organization, it’s difficult for the association to be able to offer competitive wages and benefits for its employees, especially those who are casual, part-time, or seasonal. This is the only negative aspect of working for the YMCA of Niagara.
fun place to work at
Cashier/Cook/Reception (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON4 April 2018
The Ymca was a great place to work, i love the people i got to see everyday and got to know over the months. Everyone was super friendly it was a good experience for me.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
n/a
productive and fun overall atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 April 2018
sell memberships assist new clients with facility knowledge and would give tours, aswell as clear off past balances and set up payments answer phones.
Great summer camp job
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 April 2018
Great place to work if you are looking to have fun working with your peers and kids on a day to day basis. Requires lots of energy and can be draining. However, lots of fun and overall awesome place to work.
I really enjoyed the work style.
Administrative Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON28 March 2018
I would definitely recommend volunteering here because it's a very casual and relaxed work style.

A typical day at work would be refilling the paper in the printers, entering data on the computer, filing some papers, moving boxes, etc...
Pros
Occasional lunches and some work experience
Cons
Not many
supervising kids
YOUTH PROGRAM VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON26 March 2018
it was fun place to volunteer, got to play with kids as I take care of them. I have learned how to keep kids happy, how to control anger,because, kids won't listen all the time, they can be a little arrogant sometimes. everyone of us were there to make the kids happy and safe in the program. i have made friends. i still in touch with them after even i no longer volunteer in YMCA.
Pros
get to play with kids
Cons
kids can get hurt sometimes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

59K