YMCA

YMCA Employee Reviews

Canada1,969 reviews

Found 1,969 reviews matching the searchSee all 31,018 reviews

Horrible

I was not treated fairly there and the pay is horrible for the amount of work having to be done. The company needs to increase their workers pay. Working with kids is great but unfortunately the pay was just not up to expectations

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Pay

Great place

Great place, great coworkers, great benefits. Wage is not liveable. Do not give raises. Really good on mental health! Great schedule as well. Low turnover.

Benefits

Cons

Wage

Stressful, policies not backed by management.

Training is stressful and unorganized. Things are done last minute, some stuff is left out of training then they will give employees grief over doing not doing things they didn't train you on.Very stressful, no choice over placement or location and pay is minimal, okay benefits.Management care.. but their hands are tied and are restricted on using their own policies. Some times they would even change their mind about which policies to follow and which ones to ignore.

Great work place

Was a good place to work. Could use some improvement in some areas (like any place) Great people to work with. Supervisor was great. Clean and organized centre. Very welcoming and friendly.

Pros

Family like centre

Cons

No room to move up

Productive ,fun and busy at times.

YMCA is a great place for working. I love working at YMCA .It feels like second home for me the diversity of culture at my work place and my team is simply amazing . We have a great commination skills as a successful team .

The kids were awesome !

If you are looking to build on your skills with in the educator field this would be a good place to go. However , working there does take a lot of a person self..The kids I had the pleasure to work with were awesome, fun and priceless at times . Management will require you to work beyond the requirements of the position taken . Management who don’t stop complaining on their work load or personal health issues .While you are expected to do more ! This is not a good work place for one with a family or kids . Don’t ever call in sick or express your options on anything . It will be contradicted. Appreciated comes at a price with this childcare facility . You are not protected by any union workplace protection doesn’t exist .

Pros

Paid vacation, The kids

Cons

Ethical standing is low, contradictions, poor management.Mental health burn out .

Amazing Staff but Questionable Management

YMCA staff are compassionate and dedicated to the work. However, management needs to be prompted multiple times to provide adequate training, resources, and staffing. However, it is unclear if this is a company issue or just a result of a lack of public funding.

Pros

wonderful staff

Cons

under resourced

Lovely staff

Had a great experience working at the YMCA as a Camp Counselor. The supervisor was great and very understanding. It was organized well and fun for the kids.

great place

amaizing place to work or voulenteer free lunch at my location and great supervisor. Some issues with hours rarely but that was also due to peiples personal issues

Pros

free lunch great supervisor

Fun place to work

I have worked for the YMCA FOR 4.5 years and it’s a great place to work and fun place to play and do activities with the children, my only complaint is that it’s only 5.5 hours

Fun work place

Good environment and my work place gives me always a positive vibes which I like the most. Working with kids feeling better and energetic. Good organization and staff too. I learn so many things from the kids and from my coordinator and manager. This is the best place ever for me to work.

Inclusive environment

An ECE should be recognized for the valuable work that we do. Working with young children aged between 6months and 4 years old and their families is one of the challenging jobs that there is. It's emotionally exhausting all through the eight-hour daily shift. It is extremely difficult to convey this importance to others and that’s why the salary cannot support an ECE to live a better life no matter which daycare we work at.

Pros

Inclusive environment

Cons

Micromanage

I worked in the infant, toddler, and preschool room as an ECE. It was a fun experience and I am glad I have 3+ years of experience.

Overall, it was a positive experience. I worked 7.5 hours a day Monday-Friday. I feel like the salary could've been better given that the Y is such a huge organization.

Extremely toxic management

I’ve worked for the YMCA in other cities and loved it! Unfortunately the Windsor Essex country branch is a mess. I can’t speak for all departments, but the School Aged Childcare management is disgusting. Staff are quitting left and right, centres are closing leaving families without care. Management is horrible and blames the educators. I no longer work for the Y because of this.

Children of all age groups and disabilities

Very strick on policies and procedures. Opportunities to grow within the field, school age and preschool. High demand and constantly changing. Management very hard to handle and always changing.

Great workplace with amazing colleagues!

As an Early Childhood Educator, I've worked in a few different organizations and I've found the YMCA to be the best yet. Communication is open and honest. Feedback is based upon actual observations and my colleagues are supportive. Really happy I landed at the YMCA and hopeful for a long employment future.

Fun and worthwhile experience

Worked as a summer intern, it was a fun time. Enjoying the work and the environment motivated me to do better. Your experience would probably depend on your position at the company.

Fun workplace

Worked as a camp counsellor for two years. Amazing experience! The staff were all friendly and very welcoming. I felt the training prepared me for the job. Would recommend this job!

Great starting position as an ECE. Very lucky if you can stay in the company and get full time hours.Lots of training opportunities treat staff well and great childrens programs !

Great to start off

Place was really good to work with and lots of flexibility. Good work/life balance. Not the best pay. Had to get another job. Management was ok. Not alot of room for advancement

It was a great starting job.

I worked as a newcomer intern (contract) at the YMCA and it was a great experience. The pay is good and the advisors that we had at the time were kind and understanding. The work-life balance is good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement