YMCA Employee Reviews

Mon expérience dans la YMCA
Moniteur de camp d'été à Toronto (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 February 2018
Ce travail ma permis d'avoir un tout premier contact avec des jeunes personnes en étant un assistant. De plus, mon anglais a était grandement améliorer parce que, entouré d'un environnement anglais, j'ai forcément optimiser cette langue. Bien évidemment, ce n'était facile au début, mais, au fil du temps, je me suis habitué.
Pros
Endroit chaleureuse
Great fun for the most part
instructor / Group leader (Former Employee) –  Gibsons, BC18 February 2018
This was a great experience that advanced my understanding of the world. The work load in summer was unbearable often only really getting very few hours a week off, that includes sleep.
Good overall place to be
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON16 February 2018
the workers are very nice and patient with others. everyone is able to enjoy the experience there. employees are able work with each other well and without complications
Pros
awesome co workers
Cons
age restrictions
Poor Management
Former Aquatic Employee (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC16 February 2018
The management did not provide a healthy environment for the employees and there were several problems brought up with no solution ever proposed. Scheduling can be forced, and finding replacements for these shifts is nearly impossible. The manager is very unapproachable and can be condescending when asked basic questions. Although the workplace environment was not pleasurable, the coworkers were fantastic and the family were a highlight to work with.
Pros
Working with great families, Coworkers
Cons
Management, Scheduling
Positive environment
Contact Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2018
I love working here. I love my boss and coworkers. People are friendly and quickly become like family. It is great to know that the work you are doing is enriching peoples lives in so many ways.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Not great pay
has wonderful benefits for employees
Child Care Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Niagara, ON15 February 2018
YMCA has great benefits for employers and their families. As a charity it does not pay the best but the feeling of being with family and community is great.
great work life balance
Beyond the Bell Educator (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON10 February 2018
The staff are cooperative and highly appreciative of each other and contributed their ideas to their fellow employees. they were very motivating and loved their work with children.
Fun place to work with good life to work balance but no room to improve yourself and move up
PERSONAL TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2018
Fun working there. The members are what made it enjoyable. Personal training sales were not forced which made it a less stressful environment to work in.
An enjoyable, yet challenging work environment.
Counsellor & Housing Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2018
a typical day at work is to see residents on a daily basis, provide meal vouchers, coordinate services, referral for treatment services, case notes, emergency reports, contact local police officials
I learned a great deal about addictions, homelessness, and prostitution. The workplace culture is challenging with residents issues, however, there is a positive and friendly management staff.
The hardest part of the job - managing persons under the influence.
The most enjoyable part of the job - all aspects - client interaction, management, guidance, support and understanding of the stress.
Pros
Friendly, positive work environment
Cons
Job itself can involve violence, drugs, alcohol and police interaction
Had a fun time
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON5 February 2018
Had a good experience interacting with other people as well as connecting and sharing similar interests. Also had a good time setting up events and interacting with members of the community
Fun Place to be
EARLY CHILDHOOD ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 February 2018
Great kids, staff, not enough hours. A lot of regulations to adhere to since it is a not for profit and the pay of an ECA is equivalent to ECE with the same amount of work required of both.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
No benefits for PT staff for 2 years
Camp
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto island3 February 2018
Camp was great if you like outdoors. 100s of little kids screaming, smiling and having fun. Work with a big staff team. Outdoor camp much of your day is spent travelling to and from camp site (toronto island)
Pros
Outdoors
Cons
Waiting for toronto ferry
fine
Employment Resource Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 February 2018
great place to work and great people to work with and great environment with no negativity
people are friendly and ever willing to help and answer questions
not much of a job
Cleaner/Janitor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON2 February 2018
Management is unprofessional ,doesn't know how to clean the place properly, steam rooms for full of mold, constant theft , teens always running around unsupervised, staff walk around like scruffs
Pros
kiss butt with management and they will cover your butt no matter whay
Cons
don't kiss butt and you will be back stabbed
Fun workplace
Child and Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON2 February 2018
The YMCA is a great place to work, went threw new experiences made multiple new connections opened up different opportunities. Working with kids and youths is something that I enjoy doing being able to make a difference in their daily lives, lets me know that I am doing my job right, and this job let me do this I really enjoyed working here.
Not what I expected.
Janitor/Cleaner (former employee) (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON1 February 2018
A deceitful enviroment to work in. The pay and benefits are good; BUT you can't trust everybody you work with. High turnover rate of employees. Female employees get treated much better than male staff. If a male staff's job is on the chopping block, management will not give you a chance to tell your side, or even defend yourself.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits
Cons
Sexist/feminist management, untrustworthy co-workers
office
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON1 February 2018
• Assisted members in many activity areas to resolve issues and concerns in order to maintain a safe training environment
• Responded to telephone inquiries about programs offered and made suitable suggestion based on availability
• Worked with a team of staff members to prepare and maintain work out stations
• Communicated with a diverse community
• Validated member access and ensured memberships were up to date
Pros
close to home
Cons
need a long contract
Excellent Organization
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON1 February 2018
Working with the YMCA has given me a chance to share knowledge on many things in the world of art and sports to the kids that I engage with every day. I have learned a great deal of patience from working here and the opportunities that the organization has given me is tremendous. Everyone is always in positive spirits and does whatever they can to make everyone around them whether it be co-workers or our kids, happy.
Fun
Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Strathroy, ON1 February 2018
I love this job! Being a camp counselor is very fun and working with kids is so rewarding. My coworkers were amazing and my supervisors were very understanding and relaxed.
Fun Energetic Work Place
School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB31 January 2018
The YMCA is a great place for members to meet and connect with people within the same community. It is great seeing people in the facility. There could be some Improvements to how they treat the staff.
Pros
Calm Envrionment
Cons
Long Hours and Energy Consuming

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

58.7K