YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 1,491 reviews matching the search See all 23,216 reviews
YMCA was a fun place to work.
ASSISTANT CAMP MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Stouffville, ON13 December 2018
I enjoyed my time at the YMCA. It was a very fun work place. My colleagues were all very nice people, very enjoyable to work with. The job had flexibility and taught me a number of important skills.
Good Place
EARLY CHILDHOOD ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 December 2018
Good management, good people to work with, good pay though not great compared to those in senior positions who do the exact same amount and quality of work.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Not enough hours
Alright
VOLUNTEER CHILD ANIMATOR (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 December 2018
Was an alright experience working for the YMCA, I was given full confidence to watch over the children and was given a nice letter of recommendation in the end.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON7 December 2018
Great work environment - friendly and caring people who look to develop their staff. Hours are typical. The type of work is community focused and it is a very positive work environment.
Pros
Professional Development
Cons
Pay
Absolutely wonderful workplace! Family-like environment!
Child and Youth Leader & Camp Leader (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON6 December 2018
I have been at the YMCA for over a year now and I absolutely LOVE working here. I don't think I will ever leave this job. The managers/supervisors genuinely care about their staff, and it is such a family-like environment. I can trust my bosses and I feel respected by them. I am a full time student and what I love is that my work hours are super flexible when it comes to working around my school schedule. I love the children and families I work with and every shift is a new experience. You build positive and valuable relationships here and it feels like more than just a job. I had the pleasure of working summer camp this year and it was quite an experience. These children and youth can teach us so much! I love that the YMCA is super community based, and I love that we focus so much on our children and families in the community. HIGHLY RECOMMEND WORKING HERE! Come join the team! :)
Pros
Excellent job if you are a student (short shifts either morning or evening, and full time summer positions), amazing managers/supervisors, rewarding and great experiences with the kids, easy shift management, very community based, friendly and comfortable environment, no specific post-secondary requirements needed
Cons
The hours are not that long at all, mostly 3-4 hour shifts on regular days) BUT there 6-8 hour shifts on P.A days or holidays, and full day shifts for Holiday camp, March break camp, and all of summer camp. There are no benefits because you are a part time worker.
very nice place
Volunteer Program Helper (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC5 December 2018
I just volunteered children care at the YMCA in the Chilliwack. It was a really wonderful environment over there with professional team, knowledge and skills.
Nice workplace with fun and friendly co workers
Completed Student Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON4 December 2018
Learned a lot about dealing with the public (ex: kids, adults parents, and older siblings).

Learned to be flexible with hours and to be open to trying new things and challenge myself.
Pros
Use of Great facilities
Used to be better
Manager of Facilities / Facility Operator (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 December 2018
Since new CEO took over there has been allot of arbitrary position appointments without looking at skills or education. Way to much bureaucracy. It's now all about who you know vs what you know or what you've earned.
Accounting Director (Former Employee) –  British Columbia3 December 2018
Its a great place to work. Very community oriented.Positive work environment. There is a lot of opportunity to move up within the organization. Some managers are awesome and some are...
Good work environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON27 November 2018
If you enjoy working with children id say work at the YMCA. The most fun i had was working as a camp counselor in the summer the environment and the staff were great
General Overview
YMCA Prep Cook Practicum (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2018
People are amazing, a great atmosphere
Definitely room to grow as a person and professionally
The pay is what you would expect for an opening position
Pros
Room to grow
Cons
Nothing really
productive work place
Serveuse volunteer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 November 2018
good days always, very nice people to work with,very cultural many different cultures come and go all the time. honestly a good workplace. keep in mind i was only a volunteer
A fun filled workplace with lots of love for the staff team
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Torrance, ON25 November 2018
LOVED Working at the YMCA. It was a great staff team and everyone was very involved. The supervisory team was amazing and very easy to express you comments and concerns to.
Fun working atmosphere
Program Staff (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC20 November 2018
Great team to be apart of. Fantastic group atmosphere and the culture within the organisation is second to none. The most enjoyable part is providing youth with programs to help benefit them in all aspects of life.
Pros
working with youth
Cons
salary
What I have learned
Front Desk Staff Member (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 November 2018
How much difference can the overall demeanor of someone that is the first point of contact in a company can make.

Whenever I face a challenging interaction I have learned to relay on others and my own strengths
Interesting
Youth Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ON14 November 2018
It was so exciting to be a Youth Ambassador for A&W when I was younger. It was so fun! I got to promote healthy living AND I was on live television! SWEET!
Great workplace ethics,everyone is friendly
Resources Centre Assistant (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  North York, ON8 November 2018
Busy place to work and learn more about how the government is helping people.Customer service is excellent,management is great.Always looking forward to go to work.
Pros
Excellent workplace
Fun workplace, bad management
Swim Instructor & Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2018
I had a great time working with the other staff but management here is a mess. There were multiple cases of wrongful termination in which employees made complaints, some of harassment, and instead of dealing with them management terminated their employment and paid them off to not share what happened. If you keep your mouth shut its a relaxed atmosphere, but they really don't care about quality of work. I saw some the most amazing instructors get replaced by ones who allowed children to nearly drown because of politics.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Horrible Management
administration
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB6 November 2018
absolutely love working at the ymca great people, great programs offered to the city, daycare services is fantastic, love the people love the atmosphere!
DEP en cuisine
Bénévolat en camp de jour (Former Employee) –  Québec City, QC6 November 2018
J'ai appris beaucoup tout au long de ma formation en cuisine.
J'aime le travail d'équipe et relever de nouveaux défis. J'ai également fait une spécialisation en cuisine du marché, cette formation était également très intéressante et formatrice.

Merci de l'attention que vous porterez à ma demande.

Giussippe Smith

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

510.1K