YMCA of Southwestern Ontario

Canada27 reviews

Clear
2.7Pay & benefits

It has potential

The director of my site is amazing but some management above her are not pleasant-nit pick and rude.Benefits are good but pay sucks.High expectations of staff compared to the pay.Childcare is busy in general but taking care if and educating the children is rewarding and enjoyable.

Unorganized, negative, crazy place to work.

Do not recommend if you’re looking for steady hours or actual good pay, and a happy work environment. Managers and other staff are rude, and do not consider personal health choices. The gym machines are usually broken, and filthy.

Pros

Cons

Environment Co-workers Pay Schedule Unorganized

Insights into YMCA of Southwestern Ontario

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

What values?

Important to find a good team because they will be be the best part of your experience working for the Y. Front line workers are rarely given positive feedback, respect is minimal and educators m are the first to receive criticism despite not being provided with appropriate resources and lack of a decent pay wage. Management and HR are all friends and put themselves first; they disregard legitimate concerns of their employees. Many of them love to power trip over those “under” them and have witnessed a lot of bullying at the hands of management. Wouldn’t be a bad organization to work for if it was just the people at the centre you dealt with... The “higher-ups” are the ones that run things and mistreat their employees. their “values” are never truly followed by those in management (what respect? No inclusiveness of staff beliefs? Never take responsibility or admit and take responsibility when they are wrong? Etc.) and just makes them look hypocritical because many company rules never apply to them. I would not recommend any one to work at such a negative, disrespectful association and wouldn’t recommend attending as a family or participant either. Look elsewhere; there are friendlier, better paying and more welcoming/inclusive and understanding places to work out their, where you will feel more valued and respected.

Pros

Immediate coworkers, health benefits

Cons

Bullying, disrespect, undervalued, underpaid

The pay is horrible but they do have good sick/personal dates. Vacation is typical 2 weeks, 3 weeks at 3 years. People are great. Great place to make friends and feel good about going in to work.

fun work place

The staff and students were great. The hours were flexible. They could of paid for travel from center to center when we were working from 7-9;930-230;3-6 at different centers.

Careful

Unfortunately, the management and supervisors are disorganized, irresponsible and at times, distrustful. Managers do not take issues seriously or support front end staff. There is no encouragement or praise or positive room for growth.

Very friendly staff and very good environment workplace

During my working with the Y, I have learing many things from there towards my community. the policy and the staff over there are so helpful and friendly which they make your everyday working like a fun and an exiting environement. The only thing that may not intereset everybody is the salary because it is nonprophet Orgaization, else, evereything is perfect.

Pros

friendly and diversity environment, have more fun during working

Cons

Poor Salary and benefits.

Amazing workplace with ample opportunity for professional growth!

The YMCA of Western Ontario is an amazing place to work. They provide ample opportunities for you to grow and develop both personally and professionally. I started as a part time staff working straight out of college. I worked hard and was given the opportunity to work on a full time contract. Now I have a secured salary position and I couldn't be happier! The staff teams are amazing and super supportive! I love my job!

Pros

Free membership and opportunity for professional development

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA of Southwestern Ontario. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement