YMCA of Southwestern Ontario

YMCA of Southwestern Ontario Employee Reviews

Canada24 reviews

Good place to work depending on your site director

I started working for the Y as a Supply Educator and then began working full-time as an RECE. I have overall enjoyed my time working for them, but your experience will greatly vary depending on your site director. The sites I worked at initially did not have the worst work environment, but it wasn't the best either. You might encounter sites where many staff members are too competitive and would gossip or cause drama, while in other sites most people are incredibly nice and welcoming.The site I am currently at is awesome, the director is nice and compassionate and everybody works together as if it were a family. I feel welcomed and appreciated.My only issue is that we're very underpaid.

Cons

Low wage Management staff varies and can change at any time

Decent job for students

If you’re a student who’s looking for experience working with children to add to your resume and have awkward school hours this job works for you. I was in the before and after school program. I had classes in the middle of the day and evenings so this kinda worked. You’re just really tired at the end of the day. And if you need time to book off for exams and tests or personal matters management wasn’t the most supportive. Gave you a hard time if youNeeded that time knowing full well you’re a student. You got a free gym membership but between work and school there wasn’t anytime to go. Not a lot of opportunity to move up either. Directors not very supportive. It’s just a job you do to learn how to deal with kids and you move on.

Pros

Free gym membership

Cons

Awkward hours

Not recommended

I worked for the Y for 10 years. The first few years weren’t bad, I actually loved the job and the families I worked with. But there were changes in management, managers who couldn’t care less about their employees. In a before and after school position, you would be moved numerous times to fill in for other employees who were off because some supervisors didn’t want to go into program. What values? Some management shows little to no respect to their employees. Making decisions that affect the employee without consulting them. There is so much favourtism it’s not even funny. If your direct supervisor likes you, then no problem but if not, you’re treated like the bottom of the food chain. People say you leave the job because of management. This is the main reason I left my position with the Y. Giving my notice to my supervisor was one of the happiest days of my life. The one thing I did like about my job was the families I met and the friends I made along the way. Other than that, I don’t recommend working for the Y unless you wanted to be undervalued and criticized.

Cons

Unsupportive and disrespectful management, favourtism

What values?

Important to find a good team because they will be be the best part of your experience working for the Y. Front line workers are rarely given positive feedback, respect is minimal and educators m are the first to receive criticism despite not being provided with appropriate resources and lack of a decent pay wage. Management and HR are all friends and put themselves first; they disregard legitimate concerns of their employees. Many of them love to power trip over those “under” them and have witnessed a lot of bullying at the hands of management. Wouldn’t be a bad organization to work for if it was just the people at the centre you dealt with... The “higher-ups” are the ones that run things and mistreat their employees. their “values” are never truly followed by those in management (what respect? No inclusiveness of staff beliefs? Never take responsibility or admit and take responsibility when they are wrong? Etc.) and just makes them look hypocritical because many company rules never apply to them. I would not recommend any one to work at such a negative, disrespectful association and wouldn’t recommend attending as a family or participant either. Look elsewhere; there are friendlier, better paying and more welcoming/inclusive and understanding places to work out their, where you will feel more valued and respected.

Pros

Immediate coworkers, health benefits

Cons

Bullying, disrespect, undervalued, underpaid

Overwhelmingly disorganized

I have worked with the YMCA twice in the last decade, and both times it was hectic to say the least. Staff can be decent to work with, however with a seemingly endless issue with short staffing, you can expect to be asked to move between sites on a relatively frequent basis.

Pros

Easy going, Wide range of clients provide good experience

Cons

Disorganized Management, Lack of Staffing

Awful place to work

Management is unsupportive, not professional, no respect for confidentiality & does not support mental health. Staff are unwelcoming and competitive.

Pros

Lovely children & families

Cons

Pay, management, work environment

Great staff, great members

I was here for nearly 10 years, yoga Instructor. The facility is spotless. The staff and support are amazing and I developed many good relationships with the members also. Ongoing training and advancement is there if you want it. I was able to get days off when required and have the flexibility of covering for other instructors and they would do the same for me. Highly recommend.

Pros

Pleasant work environment

Fun place to work

The most fun I’ve had at a job. Never really felt like hard work.Definitely recommend to someone who is looking for their first job. The people are the best part.

Pros

Free membership

Cons

Management isn’t very flexible

Very terrible working experience and apparently, racial discrimination happens among colleagues frequently there.

Horrible memory of YMCA Western Branch and UCC flex. Working experience there seemed like nightmares. Colleagues were not friendly and professional. Sometimes they faked negative feedback about their working partners to their leaders. They didn't know how to help each other to finish work. If they didn't like you, they would try very hard to give you a hard time every day and let you get out of there soon.

Great experience

I certainly gained a lot of experience in a short time.First week gave me a thick Nursery Act rule book, and told me to read it. Every a couple of week there will be a day to commute to London for YMCA Courses, which I enjoy more than the job itself. Gave me a job of assisting Autistic children, even though I had repeatedly expressed that I had no experience at all with Autism, kept telling me that I will do fine, then fired me because of it right before the trial period end.

Pros

Hands on learning and training. Discount on YMCA membership.

Cons

Gave me a job that does not match me, where I have completely no experience at all, I felt like being thrown into lion’s den. Unclear job details during interview, I had no idea what I was walking into, false promise job information.

Positive work environment, collaborative and community oriented

Amazing workplace! Not going to make you a millionaire but is a great place for work life balance, very inclusive, and very rewarding. Great people and lots of opportunity for movement throughout the association!

Engaging and Enjoyable Environment

Overall a very good experience of work. Many new skills were learned and developed while working and continue to develop. The joy of making a child's day better is the best part of the job

Enjoyable Staff and Patrons, Mostly Easygoing

Overall, the flexibility of the YMCA is their greatest strength, the management is willing to work collaboratively with their staff to ensure quality training and desired shifts.

The pay is horrible but they do have good sick/personal dates. Vacation is typical 2 weeks, 3 weeks at 3 years. People are great. Great place to make friends and feel good about going in to work.

fun work place

The staff and students were great. The hours were flexible. They could of paid for travel from center to center when we were working from 7-9;930-230;3-6 at different centers.

Crazy but substainable

IN this type of environment you always want to make sure you have work friends, to be able to vent about your day or inconsitensies which happen more than you want them to.

Careful

Unfortunately, the management and supervisors are disorganized, irresponsible and at times, distrustful. Managers do not take issues seriously or support front end staff. There is no encouragement or praise or positive room for growth.

Amazing place to go

This is a great place to work! They treat you like family! I love coming to work and seeing all the kids and their wonderful families! The stafe are just amazing

Very friendly staff and very good environment workplace

During my working with the Y, I have learing many things from there towards my community. the policy and the staff over there are so helpful and friendly which they make your everyday working like a fun and an exiting environement. The only thing that may not intereset everybody is the salary because it is nonprophet Orgaization, else, evereything is perfect.

Pros

friendly and diversity environment, have more fun during working

Cons

Poor Salary and benefits.

Great place to work!

I love my position as a Site Supervisor at the YMCA. The split shift allows great flexibility in my personal schedule and my co workers are just as passionate as I am. I really value that the Y is committed to my professional development as an educator, and that workplace culture is positive and fun. Oh, and the free gym membership is a great perk!!!

Pros

PD sessions, split shift, gym membership

Cons

N/a

Amazing workplace with ample opportunity for professional growth!

The YMCA of Western Ontario is an amazing place to work. They provide ample opportunities for you to grow and develop both personally and professionally. I started as a part time staff working straight out of college. I worked hard and was given the opportunity to work on a full time contract. Now I have a secured salary position and I couldn't be happier! The staff teams are amazing and super supportive! I love my job!

Pros

Free membership and opportunity for professional development

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA of Southwestern Ontario. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8