YMCA of Southwestern Ontario

YMCA of Southwestern Ontario Employee Reviews

I certainly gained a lot of experience in a short time.First week gave me a thick Nursery Act rule book, and told me to read it. Every a couple of week there will be a day to commute to London for YMCA Courses, which I enjoy more than the job itself. Gave me a job of assisting Autistic children, even though I had repeatedly expressed that I had no experience at all with Autism, kept telling me that I will do fine, then fired me because of it right before the trial period end.
Pros
Hands on learning and training. Discount on YMCA membership.
Cons
Gave me a job that does not match me, where I have completely no experience at all, I felt like being thrown into lion’s den. Unclear job details during interview, I had no idea what I was walking into, false promise job information.
Horrible memory of YMCA Western Branch and UCC flex. Working experience there seemed like nightmares. Colleagues were not friendly and professional. Sometimes they faked negative feedback about their working partners to their leaders. They didn't know how to help each other to finish work. If they didn't like you, they would try very hard to give you a hard time every day and let you get out of there soon.
Amazing workplace! Not going to make you a millionaire but is a great place for work life balance, very inclusive, and very rewarding. Great people and lots of opportunity for movement throughout the association!
Overall a very good experience of work. Many new skills were learned and developed while working and continue to develop. The joy of making a child's day better is the best part of the job
Overall, the flexibility of the YMCA is their greatest strength, the management is willing to work collaboratively with their staff to ensure quality training and desired shifts.
The pay is horrible but they do have good sick/personal dates. Vacation is typical 2 weeks, 3 weeks at 3 years. People are great. Great place to make friends and feel good about going in to work.
The staff and students were great. The hours were flexible. They could of paid for travel from center to center when we were working from 7-9;930-230;3-6 at different centers.
IN this type of environment you always want to make sure you have work friends, to be able to vent about your day or inconsitensies which happen more than you want them to.
Unfortunately, the management and supervisors are disorganized, irresponsible and at times, distrustful. Managers do not take issues seriously or support front end staff. There is no encouragement or praise or positive room for growth.
This is a great place to work! They treat you like family! I love coming to work and seeing all the kids and their wonderful families! The stafe are just amazing
During my working with the Y, I have learing many things from there towards my community. the policy and the staff over there are so helpful and friendly which they make your everyday working like a fun and an exiting environement. The only thing that may not intereset everybody is the salary because it is nonprophet Orgaization, else, evereything is perfect.
Pros
friendly and diversity environment, have more fun during working
Cons
Poor Salary and benefits.
I love my position as a Site Supervisor at the YMCA. The split shift allows great flexibility in my personal schedule and my co workers are just as passionate as I am. I really value that the Y is committed to my professional development as an educator, and that workplace culture is positive and fun. Oh, and the free gym membership is a great perk!!!
Pros
PD sessions, split shift, gym membership
Cons
N/a
The YMCA of Western Ontario is an amazing place to work. They provide ample opportunities for you to grow and develop both personally and professionally. I started as a part time staff working straight out of college. I worked hard and was given the opportunity to work on a full time contract. Now I have a secured salary position and I couldn't be happier! The staff teams are amazing and super supportive! I love my job!
Pros
Free membership and opportunity for professional development
great company to work for, very meaningful work. Professional Development and opportunities to grow. Large organization so lots of support and options in all of southwest ontario
Pros
opportunities for growth, great culture
The Y is a great place to work! I am currently a full time student who has struggled to find a job that best suits my lifestyle. At the Y, I was able to find a position that was flexible when it came to my school schedule and a staff team that was supportive in every way possible.
Pros
Flexibility, Supportive, Caring, Fun
The Y is an amazing place to work! They really valued me as a staff member and host awesome trainings and workshops for me to develop. They have great flexibility with hours, allowing you to fit into the correct role with your lifestyle. Managers, co-staff and supervisors are all very supportive.
Pros
Flexibility, training, hours, development, care, values
Cons
N/a