YMCA of Oakville logo
YMCA of Oakville

YMCA of Oakville Employee Reviews

Excellent management and supportive fellow staff

I loved going to work, it was engaging and everyday was a new adventure. There is always stress on every job, but other staff are available to help out. Would highly recommend YMCA OF OAKVILLE!!

Pros

Manager who listens and appreciates her staff

Cons

ECE pay scale at EVERY childcare in Ontario too way too low

The people are the best part

It's all about the team of people you are working with. I was lucky enough to have an amazing team! The summer went by incredibly fast. It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, but I certainly have lots of fond memories to remember it by.

It's alright if you like kids

My experience at the Oakville YMCA started out great but deteriorated the more I had to work with management. The focus become more authoritarian like, it was about controlling behaviours of children rather than trying to understand why they behaved the way that they did. It felt like a babysitting job more than programming for children that would encourage learning and development. We were also often buying materials out of pocket due to a lack of budget.

Pros

working with children and families

Cons

split shift, no benefits part-time, management

Terrible place to work

I was fired without a reason. After 12 years working for the company. I was on their staff appreciation committee working beside the human resources manager.

Good if you love kids

Good job. Great pay. Kids and parents are great and understanding. Staff are not so nice. Program isn't well organized. Doesn't provide enough food for kids and under buys food due to budget. Lots of good benefits. Split shifts.

Pros

Working with kids

Cons

Short hours

fun experience with the right team-members

Working at the YMCA of Oakville's child care team was a unique experiment. I was told that the most important thing was child safety and to have fun working with the children. As I started to work there, it became clear that the "fun" atmosphere was mostly very authoritative with some co-workers of mine. They get fed-up easily and would force the children to act a certain way. The methods and practices used in practice are outdated for what children want to do in this day and age. The job is meant to be more laid back but the team I worked with made it more stressful then it is.

Pros

friendly atmosphere

Cons

hours of work, part-time benefits

casual workplace with fun activities

working at ymca can be fun and challenging at the same time. If you maintain a positive attitude you can do really well here. it allows the flexibility of running a small business on the side.

Pros

part time

Cons

can be stressful at times

Like the YMCA

I like the YMCA Canada every where, and I like my job and my responsibilities there, The stuff they are doing well and the mentality of people is good.

Amazing place to work

YMCA of Oakville is an amazing place to work. U learn a lot here. If u have a car, U can do before and after program. Lots of paper works, but when it comes to routine, it is easy.

Great summer job

Worked there as a summer camp counsellor, really loved it. The staff is really easy and fun to work with and the overall experience was great. Pay is student minimum wage and you get 40 hours/week.

Jobs at YMCA of Oakville

See more jobs

Finally LOVE my job!!

I have worked at multiple YMCA organizations in childcare across the province. I struggled to feel supported in my position and began to become depressed. I hated my job and never felt like I was appreciated by management or co workers. I was way overworked and VERY under paid. My job became a pay check and that's it. That ALL changed when i started at the Oakville YMCA. I have finally found my place. My team is just that, a team! I find myself coming into work even if im not feeling well, just to be around my team. I have so much fun and never laugh as hard as I do when im working with my team. We all encourage each other, support each other and honestly like and care for each other. I finally feel appreciated for all of my hard work, the appreciation I feel is felt on a daily basis. The pay is amazing but to be honest I would do this job for nothing! The management support system is the most supportive structure that i feel all other YMCA's should adopt. There are so many supports in place to make sure that all staff feel supported and feel valued, i have not had this anywhere else. Everyone is in it together. I LOVE my job!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope to be lucky enough to work here until retirement...and that is MANY MANY years away!

Pros

Feeling Appreciated

YMCA Of Oakville ( the worst Management)

Supervisor of the center threatens to write you up, evertime your having fun with the kids. Saying " do you know you can get written up for that" I stated " for what, for having fun with the kids". Supervisor didnt say not even a word. The worse one is the detector that's is only 28years old. I mean come on. 12 years ago when I started at the Y, this *****was only 16years old. Talk about how the Y is so desperate to hair who who steps into the door.

Pros

Love families and children are great.

Cons

Back stabbing co- working 100% Management the worst 100% YOU DO SO MUCH WORK FOR LITTLE PAY!

Fun and energetic workplace

- Typical Day: Observed children with supervision - Learned: Working with children can be unpredictable and sometimes tiring but the effort is worth it when you make the friendships that you do. - Hardest Part: Sometimes, the children could be cranky and hard to manage. - Most Enjoyable Part: Bonding with both, the children and the coworkers.

A fun work place

A fun work place , I loved working for this company, they were always happy to see me and worked with me to make sure I could continue studying as well as keep a rewarding job. The supervisor would always thank me for coming into work, made me feel like

Very flexible and encouraging!

I loved working for this company, they were always happy to see me and worked with me to make sure I could continue studying as well as keep a rewarding job. Supervisor would always thank me for coming into work, made me feel like I was really appreciated and was an asset to the team. There is so much room to grow in this company, and you get a gym membership!

Pros

friendly staff, positive atmosphere, awesome kids!

Cons

we don't have benefits for part-time staff

Sad and Toxic Environment

Management doesn’t stand up for employees against toxic people in the work place, people of colour don’t really have a chance to exhale or to achieve greater Position in the YMCA. People who have been there for years only look out for their own people. Supervisor treat you as nothing, use you and don’t uplift you as a good Employee. They only care for ministries passing

Pros

The kids will make you happy

Cons

Worst work please

Serving the community

I've been with the Y for more than 10 yrs. Working with kids very rewarding. Pay is pretty good for the amount of labour you put in. But really, its about keeping the children safe and happy. Management is good. Always available to listen to your concerns. I hope to be with them for another 10 if I choose. The hardest part of the job, maybe answering the same question 30 times, or being proven wrong on a fact by national geographic from a 7yr old.

Pros

lots of christmas cards

Cons

split shift, no job security

Great company that cares about staff well-being

YMCA of Oakville is a great company to work for. They invest time and money into their staff and truly care about staff wellbeing. There is a lot of opportunity for growth within the company as well. Staff work in a team to create an inclusive environment that promotes learning and fun! There are many courses offered throughout the year for staff to continue learning and growing as an individual.

A very rewarding position. Great training opportunities and wonderful staff to work with. I enjoy coming to work to see the children and my coworkers.

Pros

training opportunities

supportive and comfortable

A supportive team environment. puts the children's needs first but always cares for staff. a family friendly atmosphere that makes work feel more like home.
  • YMCA of Oakville