YMCA of Oakville Employee Reviews

Hostile Work Environment
Program Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON21 March 2019
I worked for the YMCA in Oakville for many years, and the only reason I stayed so long was because I loved working with the kids and that I was able to accomplish a lot within my programs (which included involving kids in planning and putting on various performances). However, management was utterly atrocious. I was initially targeted and scapegoated by an immediate supervisor. However, rather than deal with the issue they just transferred her to another school. I would later hear that she ended up tormenting more workers and was transferred to multiple schools over the next few years.

Meetings for our program, as well as general Y trainings, would often be scheduled and/or cancelled at the last minute. Sometimes there would even be meetings or trainings that would be scheduled extremely close to shift start times, and it would require employees to go from a shift to a meeting/training (in different locations, spread far apart) and then back to work. It also assumed that employees had access to a car for Y positions, when this was not mentioned as a job requirement in the contract. This often caused extreme stress to staff and could potentially lead to unfavourable changes in staff performance, due to the extreme hours and lack of sufficient notice of schedule changes by management.

The emphasis seemed to be more on looking good to the school board and other licensing boards, rather than fair and just treatment of staff and the children in their programs. I went above and beyond the call of duty in my position, to provide activities of great interest to the kids,
  more... and to make sure they were well taken care of while in my care. I received great feedback from parents and children, which was very gratifying. However, I frequently experienced hostility (directly or subtly) from management, which was very distressing to me. The other staff\coworkers also treated me poorly; while there were some that shared my passion for excellent child care, a good portion of them were clearly only there for a paycheque. I would typically see other coworkers chatting socially,.some were even checking their cell phones, while I ran around trying to engage the children and to ensure that things ran smoothly. I also witnessed firsthand two staff who put other children at extreme risk, one staff who was autistic and left a room of kids unsupervised because he got confused and another staff who physically abused a child. I started to ask myself what kind of management would hire irresponsible and uncaring staff like this!!

Management had also denied putting things in place that would avoid putting the kids at further risk. For example we had been trying to get a proper passcode system implemented for parents to securely enter the school when picking up their children. However, management continued to ignore this request and instead asked us to prop the door open with a wood piece and later with a small magnet. This enabled an adult male off the street to get into the school, while there were still kids in the program!!. Management also refused to remove kids, who had highly destructive behaviour, from the program. There were also other kids from the school who entered the schoolyard after hours, and infringed on our program. However, we were not allowed to ask them to leave. These both posed serious safety concerns for other children in the program. When I tried to speak out against this I would receive further reprimands.

Suffice it to say I am no longer with this organization, and while I miss the kids dearly, the poor treatment I had to go through with ongoing harassment from management ultimately took most of that joy away from me. I would recommend to others to avoid working for this company, as they value profits above all else, especially in the highly important area of child care. Be cautious, because if you get on their bad side, there are some truly evil and manipulative people that make up the bulk of the management team at this organization
Pros
Working with the kids
Cons
Everything else
Very flexible and encouraging!
Before and after school educator (Former Employee) –  Oakville7 February 2019
I loved working for this company, they were always happy to see me and worked with me to make sure I could continue studying as well as keep a rewarding job.

Supervisor would always thank me for coming into work, made me feel like I was really appreciated and was an asset to the team.

There is so much room to grow in this company, and you get a gym membership!
Pros
friendly staff, positive atmosphere, awesome kids!
Cons
we don't have benefits for part-time staff
Sad and Toxic Environment
Teacher Educator (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON2 February 2019
Management doesn’t stand up for employees against toxic people in the work place, people of colour don’t really have a chance to exhale or to achieve greater Position in the YMCA. People who have been there for years only look out for their own people. Supervisor treat you as nothing, use you and don’t uplift you as a good Employee. They only care for ministries passing
Pros
The kids will make you happy
Cons
Worst work please
Serving the community
Educator (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON24 November 2018
I've been with the Y for more than 10 yrs. Working with kids very rewarding. Pay is pretty good for the amount of labour you put in. But really, its about keeping the children safe and happy. Management is good. Always available to listen to your concerns. I hope to be with them for another 10 if I choose. The hardest part of the job, maybe answering the same question 30 times, or being proven wrong on a fact by national geographic from a 7yr old.
Pros
lots of christmas cards
Cons
split shift, no job security
Great company that cares about staff well-being
on site supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON16 July 2018
YMCA of Oakville is a great company to work for. They invest time and money into their staff and truly care about staff wellbeing. There is a lot of opportunity for growth within the company as well. Staff work in a team to create an inclusive environment that promotes learning and fun! There are many courses offered throughout the year for staff to continue learning and growing as an individual.
School Age Educator (Current Employee) –  YMCA of Oakville12 July 2018
A very rewarding position. Great training opportunities and wonderful staff to work with. I enjoy coming to work to see the children and my coworkers.
Pros
training opportunities
supportive and comfortable
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON18 April 2018
A supportive team environment.
puts the children's needs first but always cares for staff.
a family friendly atmosphere that makes work feel more like home.
Ymca
WELLNESS COACH AND FITNESS INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON27 February 2018
Its a fun environment to work in the staff and members are awesome! if you don't have much experience they will provide you with the tools you need to succeed
Fun workplace
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON31 January 2018
Volunteering at the YMCA of Oakville has given me the chance to meet new people and grow my communication skills. It has advanced some underdeveloped skills I had.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No cons
School Age (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON13 December 2017
Thank you for providing me with an experience that I will always cherish. I did learn a lot on with the YMCA and it prepared me for my next adventure with the School Board. I feel that my YMCA experience prepared me to be the Teacher that I am today!
Pros
learning on the job, great training
Cons
split shift
Good
School Age Chid Care Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON15 August 2017
Cooworkers and supervisors are friendly and caring. Rate of pay is a little above minimum wage. Consistent hours for part time work. Fun environment if you like kids.
Pros
gym membership
Cons
only contract work
Plaisant
Animatrice de camp de jour (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON18 May 2017
Ces toujours plaisant travailler avec des enfants, alors cette expérience était le fun.
Great for starting out working with children
Program Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON9 May 2017
The YMCA is a great place to start out working with youth/children. The after school program allowed me to hone in on time management skills, multi-tasking and organization skills.
spent 7 years working for this company
Summer Camp Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON2 May 2017
i was taken advantage of for 7 years. poured my heart and soul into this company. however, they never had my back, any slight complaint and i was thrown under the bus.
Pros
people
Cons
everything else
worked for this company for 7 years
FT Before and After School Care Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON2 May 2017
i poured my heart and soul into this company and the one time i made a mistake i was thrown under the buss to appease an over sensitive parent. i was taken advantage of and then left to find a new job.
Pros
the people
Cons
everything else
Good Job
Child and Youth Programmer (Current Employee) –  410 rebecca street oakville5 April 2017
Start your program with either; game on, adventure centre, master chef, preschool play or jungle run.
you got 15 min to set up program, you worked with children and youth, creating programming, and creating a fun safe environment.
The people are fun, and the atmosphere is great.
Cons
short hours
after school program at Sheridan Public School in Oakville
Early Childcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 March 2017
Very friendly stuff and very good management.I love to work with the kids. The YMCA have a lot of things to help with the education of the kids. The manager is very understanding and helpful.They care about their workers.
Experience depends on location.
School Age Team (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON14 February 2017
The culture depends on the location you are working at.
Salary wise the Y pays medium for the field and benefits are hard to come by.
One great thing about the school-age position is the flexibility and work life balance. You can choose afternoons or morning or afternoons. I have nothing negative to say about the culture. Some reviewers said that some employees at the Y have negative attitudes. You will get that at any job with a large staff. The culture is not toxic, and looking forward to working with them in the future.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Onboarding
Official response from YMCA of Oakville
13 July 2017

The YMCA of Oakville is dedicated to improving its onboarding experience for employees. We would greatly appreciate your feedback regarding your onboarding experience, and what we could do to improve. Please, feel free to contact our human resources department to provide feedback. Any information would be kept anonymous.

Poor Leadership and toxic atmosphere
Child Care Worker and Cook (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON29 January 2017
The job security in this place is great, benefits are great, and the pay is good.

Team leadership is terrible. All three age group coordinators are very tight with each other and exclude others. The pre-school coordinator has poor attitude and often if she is having a bad day she has no problem expressing it to other employees, she is discouraging and difficult to work with.

A plus for them is that they do care about the children however, as staff, they choose who to like and who not to like, the atmosphere is super toxic to work in and quite frankly, their leadership could use a refresher on positive leading. Lots if gossip in this work place about other employees and the parents!
Fun place to work
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 December 2016
Everyone is welcoming and friendly. Constantly working with children. So if you dont like working with kids dont apply. Have to be good at problem solving. You have to watch, play and talk to every child.
Pros
Flexable with shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA of Oakville. Our community is ready to answer.

YMCA of Oakville Reviews by Location