YMCA of Oakville

YMCA of Oakville Employee Reviews

Canada38 reviews
Working at the YMCA of Oakville's child care team was a unique experiment. I was told that the most important thing was child safety and to have fun working with the children. As I started to work there, it became clear that the "fun" atmosphere was mostly very authoritative with some co-workers of mine. They get fed-up easily and would force the children to act a certain way. The methods and practices used in practice are outdated for what children want to do in this day and age. The job is meant to be more laid back but the team I worked with made it more stressful then it is.
Pros
friendly atmosphere
Cons
hours of work, part-time benefits
working at ymca can be fun and challenging at the same time. If you maintain a positive attitude you can do really well here. it allows the flexibility of running a small business on the side.
Pros
part time
Cons
can be stressful at times
I like the YMCA Canada every where, and I like my job and my responsibilities there,
The stuff they are doing well and the mentality of people is good.
YMCA of Oakville is an amazing place to work. U learn a lot here. If u have a car, U can do before and after program.
Lots of paper works, but when it comes to routine, it is easy.
Worked there as a summer camp counsellor, really loved it. The staff is really easy and fun to work with and the overall experience was great. Pay is student minimum wage and you get 40 hours/week.
I have worked at multiple YMCA organizations in childcare across the province. I struggled to feel supported in my position and began to become depressed. I hated my job and never felt like I was appreciated by management or co workers. I was way overworked and VERY under paid. My job became a pay check and that's it.
That ALL changed when i started at the Oakville YMCA. I have finally found my place. My team is just that, a team! I find myself coming into work even if im not feeling well, just to be around my team. I have so much fun and never laugh as hard as I do when im working with my team. We all encourage each other, support each other and honestly like and care for each other. I finally feel appreciated for all of my hard work, the appreciation I feel is felt on a daily basis. The pay is amazing but to be honest I would do this job for nothing! The management support system is the most supportive structure that i feel all other YMCA's should adopt. There are so many supports in place to make sure that all staff feel supported and feel valued, i have not had this anywhere else. Everyone is in it together.

I LOVE my job!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope to be lucky enough to work here until retirement...and that is MANY MANY years away!
Pros
Feeling Appreciated
Supervisor of the center threatens to write you up, evertime your having fun with the kids. Saying " do you know you can get written up for that" I stated " for what, for having fun with the kids". Supervisor didnt say not even a word. The worse one is the detector that's is only 28years old. I mean come on. 12 years ago when I started at the Y, this *****was only 16years old. Talk about how the Y is so desperate to hair who who steps into the door.
Pros
Love families and children are great.
Cons
Back stabbing co- working 100% Management the worst 100% YOU DO SO MUCH WORK FOR LITTLE PAY!
- Typical Day: Observed children with supervision
- Learned: Working with children can be unpredictable and sometimes tiring but the effort is worth it when you make the friendships that you do.

- Hardest Part: Sometimes, the children could be cranky and hard to manage.

- Most Enjoyable Part: Bonding with both, the children and the coworkers.
A fun work place , I loved working for this company, they were always happy to see me and worked with me to make sure I could continue studying as well as keep a rewarding job.

The supervisor would always thank me for coming into work, made me feel like
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at YMCA of Oakville?

Supervisor would always thank me for coming into work, made me feel like I was really appreciated and was an asset to the team.

There is so much room to grow in this company, and you get a gym membership!
Pros
friendly staff, positive atmosphere, awesome kids!
Cons
we don't have benefits for part-time staff
Management doesn’t stand up for employees against toxic people in the work place, people of colour don’t really have a chance to exhale or to achieve greater Position in the YMCA. People who have been there for years only look out for their own people. Supervisor treat you as nothing, use you and don’t uplift you as a good Employee. They only care for ministries passing
Pros
The kids will make you happy
Cons
Worst work please
I've been with the Y for more than 10 yrs. Working with kids very rewarding. Pay is pretty good for the amount of labour you put in. But really, its about keeping the children safe and happy. Management is good. Always available to listen to your concerns. I hope to be with them for another 10 if I choose. The hardest part of the job, maybe answering the same question 30 times, or being proven wrong on a fact by national geographic from a 7yr old.
Pros
lots of christmas cards
Cons
split shift, no job security
YMCA of Oakville is a great company to work for. They invest time and money into their staff and truly care about staff wellbeing. There is a lot of opportunity for growth within the company as well. Staff work in a team to create an inclusive environment that promotes learning and fun! There are many courses offered throughout the year for staff to continue learning and growing as an individual.
A very rewarding position. Great training opportunities and wonderful staff to work with. I enjoy coming to work to see the children and my coworkers.
Pros
training opportunities
Cons
A supportive team environment.
puts the children's needs first but always cares for staff.

a family friendly atmosphere that makes work feel more like home.
Its a fun environment to work in the staff and members are awesome! if you don't have much experience they will provide you with the tools you need to succeed
Volunteering at the YMCA of Oakville has given me the chance to meet new people and grow my communication skills. It has advanced some underdeveloped skills I had.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No cons
Thank you for providing me with an experience that I will always cherish. I did learn a lot on with the YMCA and it prepared me for my next adventure with the School Board. I feel that my YMCA experience prepared me to be the Teacher that I am today!
Pros
learning on the job, great training
Cons
split shift
Cooworkers and supervisors are friendly and caring. Rate of pay is a little above minimum wage. Consistent hours for part time work. Fun environment if you like kids.
Pros
gym membership
Cons
only contract work
Ces toujours plaisant travailler avec des enfants, alors cette expérience était le fun.