YMCA of Lethbridge

YMCA of Lethbridge Employee Reviews

Canada11 reviews

extra training with whimmis on the job training.

i liked working on my own nobody was looking over my shoulder. as long the job was completed as per shift everybody was happy. The job was well versed if your looking for a place that accepts you as you are. Hard worker was best suited for all type of work.

Pros

work on own also help out other employers

Cons

none it was well worth working there.

Fast Paced, Rewarding work environment

I started at the YMCA right when they were moving over into the new building. I have been employed here now for just under a year and it has been the best experience to date. I have worked in multiple gyms and wellness centers and I have also owned my own small gym in the town I grew up in. I must say that opening the new location was a stressful time, with lots of deadlines and high paced intense situations. (However, that is bound to happen with any business start-up or building change-over). We had lot's of big changes and with big changes comes discomfort among both staff and members. HOWEVER: I have grown so much while working at the YMCA. I love my team and all of the wonderful members that I have the pleasure of spending time with on the daily! At first I found that it took people some time to transition and accept the drastic changes, and by all means that is totally understandable. I don't think we would have become the YMCA team we are today without having to overcome some obstacles. Just under a year later and we now have a strong crew of AMAZING staff and volunteers with around 9,000 active members!! The YMCA offers its employees so many work related opportunities such as in house management/ admin courses, YMCA trips to Camp Chief Hector and "Hooked on the Y", national and international conferences, etc. I am very fortunate to have a job that invests in me - Our Directors truly want to see us succeed, and that truly means so much! I am very excited for whats to come and for our community here at the YMCA to continue to grow! <3

Insights into YMCA of Lethbridge

Areas for improvement
  • Supportive environment
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Great place to provide a legacy and service to the community

I have had the pleasure and stress of opening the new location on the westside of lethbridge. It has had many unforeseen challenges as it is the 3rd largest YMCA in north america and located in a small city. The management and staff have grown and changed as the need for the community has changed. This has not always been received positively by some members or staff. BUT the overarching goal of helping and supporting the community has been clear since day one and continues to be so. No one person or entity will benefit solely from this location. It is and will remain to be the safest place for kids in this city, it will serve all members of ALL communities in Lethbridge. That said it is still finding its legs - but assuredly with time and consistent support of the the staff and membership, this will be a flagship facility not only in Lethbridge, but Alberta as well. Workplace culture is positive on the most part. As this facility is still growing some roles/positions are overworked while others are still finding a way to be utilized fully. Amazing people working here currently. Plans for the future to provide what the community needs. Great charity and non-profit company. A great place to share your passion for fitness, aquatics, or sport with the community.

Great Place to Work

This is a great place to work. The strategic direction of the organization is impressive and the YMCA will be a preferred employer of Lethbridge for many years to come.

Honestly the best job I have had

You're gonna read some reviews on here that are quite frank and honest. This place is not perfect, and opening our new facility was extremely stressful on everyone involved. Things have been changing constantly and not every change has been universally loved. However, the management team honestly does their best to conform to the overall standards of the YMCA and the individual needs of their employees. Its not easy, and not everyone will be happy. They do their absolute best to reach that goal though, and I have never been surrounded by such supportive people in my life.

Pros

Pay, Work Environment, Support

A Rewarding Place to Work

I have been at the YMCA of Lethbridge since transitioning from the old centre to the new one and I can say I have absolutely loved my experience! There has been so much opportunity for growth and learning, and the staff team has come together so well to accomplish something amazing in opening a facility of this size. The culture is fantastic and staff support each other to reach goals. In this facility you get to have a role in promoting wellness in the city of Lethbridge and the management team is there to support you every step of the way. Whether it be by providing guidance or making you feel empowered.

Inflexible, cold organization

Management are not given the freedom to make any decisions without the approval of the general manager, even for something as small as giving out a 10 dollar item that would help staff with a basic task. I believe it is in part because of this that they are not willing to change expectations, hours, or tasks of a position to accommodate even the most highly sought after employees. As a former staff that relied on my full time hours to pay my fixed monthly expenses, I can attest to the fact that my qualifications and experience were not considered valuable enough to give me the consistent hours I required to afford to work there any longer. Those in leadership positions were teaching group exercise classes without group exercise certifications or even any experience in group exercise at all. I should also mention. Do not work here unless you do not care about due process and doing things by the book. Finally, everything side about the current GM is true. She is a bully and has wrongfully terminated a friend of mine .

Not a good experience

I was fired before I even started my first shift! Management canceled my orientation 1/2 hour before I was to be on my way. Made arrangements for childcare, etc. The day I was rescheduled, my baby was sick. Told them I would be slightly late and was sent an email back stating that due to be late for my first shift my offer of employment is off the table! A shift that I’m not even paid for !!

Abusive & Bully Leadership

The general manager who came in from Calgary to oversee the switch to this new facility seemed to have lied on their application. They have never run a facility nor have they had the experience they so claimed. What they do have is a fear mongering culture, poor staff skills, lies and an overall negative attitude towards her employees. It’s a shame, she took a wonderful organization and ruined the culture with empty promises and lies. I would never work here again and have told my friends the same.

Lured into Lesser Employment

Company interviewed for Team Lead, offered position, but sent offer for a lower wage, part time instead of full time, temp instead of permanent, and a different position entirely. When I brought up the concern on my first day, they decided not to hire.

Pros

Wage, Membership

Cons

Integrity of Word, Luring

Poor workplace culture

Poor management resulting in negative workplace culture. Staff are fearful for their jobs. No opportunity for staff learning or growth. It is sad that this organization is no longer meeting its community based mission.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA of Lethbridge. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare YMCA of Lethbridge with

YMCA of Lethbridge reviews by location

Learn about YMCA of Lethbridge in popular locations