YMCA of Lethbridge Employee Reviews

Honestly the best job I have had
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Membership20 September 2019
You're gonna read some reviews on here that are quite frank and honest. This place is not perfect, and opening our new facility was extremely stressful on everyone involved. Things have been changing constantly and not every change has been universally loved. However, the management team honestly does their best to conform to the overall standards of the YMCA and the individual needs of their employees. Its not easy, and not everyone will be happy. They do their absolute best to reach that goal though, and I have never been surrounded by such supportive people in my life.
Pros
Pay, Work Environment, Support
A Rewarding Place to Work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB19 September 2019
I have been at the YMCA of Lethbridge since transitioning from the old centre to the new one and I can say I have absolutely loved my experience! There has been so much opportunity for growth and learning, and the staff team has come together so well to accomplish something amazing in opening a facility of this size. The culture is fantastic and staff support each other to reach goals. In this facility you get to have a role in promoting wellness in the city of Lethbridge and the management team is there to support you every step of the way. Whether it be by providing guidance or making you feel empowered.
Inflexible, cold organization
Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB11 August 2019
Management are not given the freedom to make any decisions without the approval of the general manager, even for something as small as giving out a 10 dollar item that would help staff with a basic task. I believe it is in part because of this that they are not willing to change expectations, hours, or tasks of a position to accommodate even the most highly sought after employees. As a former staff that relied on my full time hours to pay my fixed monthly expenses, I can attest to the fact that my qualifications and experience were not considered valuable enough to give me the consistent hours I required to afford to work there any longer. Those in leadership positions were teaching group exercise classes without group exercise certifications or even any experience in group exercise at all. I should also mention. Do not work here unless you do not care about due process and doing things by the book.
Finally, everything side about the current GM is true. She is a bully and has wrongfully terminated a friend of mine .
Not a good experience
Fitness instructor (Former Employee) –  Fitness dept8 August 2019
I was fired before I even started my first shift! Management canceled my orientation 1/2 hour before I was to be on my way. Made arrangements for childcare, etc.
The day I was rescheduled, my baby was sick. Told them I would be slightly late and was sent an email back stating that due to be late for my first shift my offer of employment is off the table! A shift that I’m not even paid for !!
Abusive & Bully Leadership
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB23 July 2019
The general manager who came in from Calgary to oversee the switch to this new facility seemed to have lied on their application. They have never run a facility nor have they had the experience they so claimed.

What they do have is a fear mongering culture, poor staff skills, lies and an overall negative attitude towards her employees. It’s a shame, she took a wonderful organization and ruined the culture with empty promises and lies.

I would never work here again and have told my friends the same.
Great wages, perks and benifits! Amazing team, and fun atmosphere!
N/A (Current Employee) –  Cor Van Raay5 June 2019
Their team is fantastic! They hire such a diverse team of students, middle career, and semi-retired plus volunteers. This mixture of people, abilities and experience makes for such a great team atmosphere!
Pros
High wages, free membership, diversity of work available and training opportunities.
Cons
None.
Poor workplace culture
Staff (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB28 November 2018
Poor management resulting in negative workplace culture. Staff are fearful for their jobs. No opportunity for staff learning or growth. It is sad that this organization is no longer meeting its community based mission.