YMCA of Greater Vancouver

YMCA of Greater Vancouver Employee Reviews

Canada24 reviews
Mission driven workplace with gritty workforce
This organization is filled with amazing humans who are underpaid and overworked, but continue fighting the good fight because they align with the Y's mission and values.
I had a great experience with YMCA Childcare
I had to leave YMCA GV because the family and I need to relocate. If not, I would have stayed with them until retirement. As an Early Childhood Educator I felt valued, there were enough trainings for growth of your skills, pay is higher that average, I did not get burned out working 7 hours plus an hour break. YMCA GV child care work culture is encouraging. I hope the next YMCA I am going to is the same.
A fairly decent place to work
A friendly, safe, and positive environment. Overall I would recommend working for the Y. Good opportunities for advancement, benefits, and everyone is super nice.
I was an intern there
I learned a lot in YMCA and the staff there is so supportive and nice. if I have difficulty in doing anything they will guide me through again in the process.
A Place Where Your Work Matters
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver does amazing work to engage and promote healthier, more connected communities. You know that your efforts are helping others reach their potential. The Y is a charity with a positive work culture (flexible and understanding) and puts people first.

Coworkers are all super friendly and management listens to my thoughts and opinions. Various opportunities for professional development and innovation programs. Great place to work if supporting the community is something you value.
Pros
YMCA Membership, Flexible Work Balance, Leader Development and Innovation Programs
Toxic Enviroment - Politically Charged
Years of experience in Recreation, this without a doubt is the most politically charged and toxic environment. No team atmosphere.

Despite being billed as a non-profit organization, do not be fooled! The YMCA is 100% profit driven, from their budget expectation to the expectation that staff who are paid below industry standards give back a portion of their pay cheque to the "strong kids" program. Less than 3% of retrieved payroll funding goes towards the program. If an employee, volunteer or member do not supply a donation, they are either hounded relentlessly, or seen as not a team player.

Senior Management is disengaged, and unaware of the goings on at the center level, inexperience and a code of apathy prevent or make change challenging and delayed.

Members are not a priority, continual cost cutting measures to ensure that the development of future sites are funded.

Membership managers are not in compliance to access and diversity, nor the understanding and assisting of mental health issues and the importance of community involvement.

Great Job, if you have a low skill set and are not looking for advancement or to have an impact on change.

Looking to leave or have an impact on the community, seek out employment at one of the greater vancouver community associations, or city opportunities.
As a substitute I could choose my work schedule
I worked as an ECEA substitute, which meant that i went to work at different locations where there was a need for staff. This gave me a great chance to learn from different branches of YMCA daycare, it gave me great learning experience from varied staff, children and daycare set up. Some locations had great staff and they guided me very well, some didn't but no complains.
Slave Labour
Worked for two summers as a day camp leader a year ago when I was 16/17. I was responsible for up to 10 kids and got paid a dollar more than minimum wage. I was expected to stay overnight every Thursday with no pay and no breaks (I started work at 7am on Thursday and finished at 4pm Friday). The kids have all kinds of issues and I had very little training to deal with all of them. Management is young, inexperienced and probably underpaid.
Growth opportunity
They reward hard workers with more work and the more you say yes the faster you get promoted. Able to work your way through many positions if you’re willing to put in the work. Kind of poor work/life balance because of that though. Senior managers never come around other than when there’s a problem. You can do the same job at the City for 3x the salary.
Stressful but fun
A very varied role. Doing everything from leader and managing outdoor activity safety, site maintenance and hosting events such as weddings or conferences to basic cleaning and organising.

Working at a camp isn't all fun, you're usually expected to work hours longer than most jobs or more days than most jobs, however you get to gain a lot of skills. It helps you develop problem solving skills as well as gives you a lot of experience working both as a team and independently.

You get to meet and work with new people in new environments as well as being an important part of child development and creating memories for countless participants of all ages.
Fun Workplace
> Fun environment: you have a list of activities to help you plan your day or you can incorporate your own acitivities
> Got to be on your toes

> Quick thinking

> Rewarding
Good work place environment with gym
It's a diverse organization, with a good work place environment.
The management are very helpful and supportive. They treat their staff with respect. I learned a lot in this organization not only Technical or general office work but also by nurturing the vulnerable children and adults.
Pros
Free membership to use the facilities
Cons
None that I'm aware of
Honest Review
Working here only makes me feels like a salesman not a trainer. Management only cares about hitting the sales goal for training packages, employees and clients are not the priority. If you don't hit the sales goal manager will be constantly trash talking and assuming you're doing a bad job as a trainer or not doing anything at all. Also they expect you to stay in the gym and work without pay to get more clients even if you don't have any shifts. Management does not allow employees to take breaks if they are working alone. Generally, speaking the organization is internally corrupt and does not provide any employee training, instead they will throw you in.
Great culture and opportunity to do meaningful work (but for low pay)
Wonderful inclusive, fun culture, interesting work. Employees are expected to fundraise for the Strong Kids Campaign. Salaries are below average and not competitive, benefits are pretty good. Free use of fitness facilities is great!
Pros
Great culture, free use of fitness facilities, good work-life balance, flexibility to sometimes work from home
Cons
Poor salary, poor management at senior levels
Great experience at Youth Bootcamp, wonderful instructors and workshops
I attended the youth employment bootcamp for 4 weeks, and am now looking for a work placement (second part of a two part program). It's been a wonderful, intense, educational 4 weeks of constant learning. Would highly recommend the program to any young person feeling unsure or lost either at work or in finding work.
Pros
Plenty of breaks, great professional and personal support system
Cons
Only minimum wage pay for the 4 weeks, but the pros far out-weigh this small con.
Love the cause, not the way its done
Love working with the kids and helping shape them into great human beings. That being said there is too much red tape and the management are just concerned with their licensing which is good, but it takes away from the true mission and that is to care for the kids. less paper work and more streamlining is needed. The pay is pretty low as well, so high turnover
Pros
Lovely working with amazing kids
Cons
management
Work life is good
YMCA is nice to work at. They have monthly birthday cake for everyone who has birthdays for the month. The environment is also very chill and flexible.
Pros
stress free
Cons
not much team building
Mentally Tough Job with a Great Support System
Honestly working with kids / parents / public is very stressful. It is demanding, you have to practice lots of conflict resolution and there is a large work load. But the people you work with, and the relationships you build with kids and parents make it so worth it. There is tons of opportunity for training, endless support from management and mistakes are viewed as learning opportunities.

I would 10/10 recommend this job. I love everything the YMCA stands for and the people you get to work along side with are so friendly and open.

But I would not recommend this job if you do not have tough skin, don't handle sudden change, constructive criticism or high emotions well (from adults and kids)
Pros
Benefits, Training Opportunities, Great Management, Opportunities to move up in company
Cons
Stressful, Very fast paced, Demanding, Conflict Resolution
Amazing staff
The people I worked with were so sweet and the children were just amazing! I loved the workplace since all the managers and supervisors really took time out to become close to the staff. So much fun when building relationships with children! One of my favourite things were the energy everyone had and the love for water safety!!
Rewarding
In a managerial role. The most rewarding part is helping out members out to reach their full potential. Also to see staff members grow and develop as getting hired at the Y is one of their first jobs.
Great company to work for, just low pay
Staff are friendly, high turn over. Company is actually doing some good for the community and you have a sense of belonging. Management team is very knowledgeable.
Pros
Sense of belonging
Cons
Low pay
Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA of Greater Vancouver. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9