YMCA of Greater Toronto
Here to help
Coronavirus update

YMCA of Greater Toronto Employee Reviews

Canada72 reviews
productive and fun place to work
great learning experience and great teamwork. if you love kids this is a great position. I learned management and leadership skills, as well as collaborative skills.
Friendly workplace.
Love the culture and the work ethics at the Y. Amazing environment and dedicated staff. The management is very professional and the team work at the Y is really fantastic.
Grateful to Work for the YMCA of Greater Toronto
I have worked full-time for the YMCA of Greater Toronto for approximately 9 years. In that time, I have had the opportunity of working four different roles across different program areas. There is definitely opportunity for lateral movement as well as growth. I would say be prepared to work hard and contribute to your team as expectations are high. You will be expected to push yourself to continue to improve. These high expectations are rewarded with great benefits, family and work life balance, a great work environment and great colleagues.

I read something recently that said that you can determine a lot about an employer by the way they treat you during the COVID-19 pandemic. This has been a stressful and challenging time for everyone including the Y who has lost much of its revenue.

Yes, I was temporarily laid off for a period of time before being able to return to work. During my layoff, I received daily communication from my direct supervisor, Senior VP, Human Resources and the CEO including detailed information on the Canadian Emergency Response Benefit. Additionally, the YMCA of GTA topped up the CERB benefit to 80% of my salary and continued to pay for my medical and dental benefits. My supervisor would call me just to see how I was doing and make sure that my family and I were okay. I still felt like I was part of the YMCA team.

After approximately 3 weeks of layoff, I was called back to work as the YMCA of GTA was approved to participate in the Canadian Wage Subsidy Program and I will be topped up to 90% of my salary. Since returning the Y has
 - more...
Good workplace environment, fast paced
Working with the YMCA of Greater Toronto was a great experience. The work was easy to learn and manage. The pay and benefits were good if you did not have a family and were paying high rent. The staff were great to work with, but the workplace culture overall could use some improvements. The hardest part of the job was managing many emails and phone calls from parents, staff, and other colleagues. The best part was working alongside other hardworking individuals.
Pros
Good colleagues, staff-events
Cons
Poor workplace culture, old building
assistant for Early Childhood and Play on Instructor
Continuously build relationships with members, staff, volunteers and community partners; assist in coaching and developing younger children with activities and engaging them to get involved to keep the active

work as an assistance and provide ideas to enhance on building activities
Stay away
Stay away!!!- that is my best piece of advice. The employment sector is terribly unorganized. Staff are OVERWORKED AND SEVERELY underpaid. Retention is so poor it’s not even funny. This is the lowest paying non profit charity organization. It’s a joke what they pay you and the expectations they have. Processes are super outdated and not modern at all. In regards to management - I would say it has been the worst managers I’ve had in my whole professional career. Multiple employees have complained about management and improper practices by them to HR and nothing was done. They put people who have no managerial experience in charge and do not provide adequate training for these people. Previous manager was the worst manager I have ever had - was extremely micromanaging and treated people as if they were incompetent. They practiced severe favouritism. Fudged numbers, forged signatures etc... I could go on and on. The pay is so below what we should be paid in comparison to other similar organizations such as YES employment or Job Start. Also, there is no room to grow within the organization. Literally NONE at all unless you are a “favourite” and put in a management role, which is unlikely and to be honest not worth it for what the pay is for managers. I could go on and on about how terrible of an experience it has been but overall, I would suggest not working here and find somewhere else!!!
One good thing is that the staff and team is friendly.
Good group of people who want to make a difference
On the surface very welcoming and friendly. Once you leave though, if you are not a GM level employee, you are lucky to get any acknowledgement. Overall a good place to network and see the diversity of non profit work that can be found in Toronto
Pros
Greta networking. Great benefits
Cons
none really stick out
Would not recommend pay is so low!
Pay is so low. High turnover rate you can get paid triple else where I made the decision to move no advancement what so ever low enrolment they will move you around. Honestly hated it so happy I left. Benefits suck as well! Most jobs are split shift and pay sucks you end up wasting more on gas. Don't listen to others who say benefits are good that is probably their first job lol
Fun place to work
I enjoyed working with friends at the YMCA summer camp. It was rewarding to work with special needs children and disadvantaged youth. There is always something exciting happening.
stressful workplace,
The supervisor Behaviour was not professional she stressed out everyone and put them down to take the maximum the stuff can do rather than motivate people
Too much paperwork you have to do it without paying extra hours

They are not provided extra stuff to take care of kids with special needs it will take months and too long investigation to provide one to take care of these kids so you take care of 15 kids and three of them were with special needs which put too much stress on the ECE and nobody cares about the kids safety as long as the paperwork is completed. The paperwork is their first priorities
Management sucks
Their vision and mission is for outside world only. It doesn’t apply to people working there. You are just another number when you are working. Racist HR people.
Wide range of activities
Each day brings something new. Build relationships with both children and their families. Can be stressful depending on the day.. Lots of daily paperwork.
Pros
Each day is different.
Cons
Situations can become stressful.
Interesting and Enjoyable Workplace.
During the training, they teach others about Budgeting, Customer Skills, Resumes, and so on. I learned a lot about how workplaces run and made Safety the first concern.
Pros
Free Refreshments, Transportation, Help you find jobs
Cons
Long Hours
Love My Job
Love my job at the YMCA! So rewarding! Work with a great team and lots of learning and training opportunities available. Best part is playing with the children and watch them learn and develop!
Pros
Training, lots of internal opportunities
Dynamic and fun work environment
The community and colleagues that I worked with were wonderful and very supportive. The team also seems to be lacking in enough staff to cover all the daily operations, thus full-time staff are consistently being thrown into other departments to help facilitate tasks or roles that should be assumed by them even though they do not have the proper qualifications or interest in such matters. It can be very stressful when there is poor communication between management and staff in regards to finding shift coverage and having staff take full responsibility for their absences and coverage times. In general, there are too many shifting pieces and moving parts that can be very overwhelming and unsupportive after a while.
Not so friendly
Better to know someone already working there. Staff are all discussed and can affect your job placement. You are not heard if it does not benefit the centre/company and will find ways to let you go if they sense difficulty their way.
A great place to work
I would strongly recommend the YMCA. There are opportunities to advance as well as lateral moves and chances to change your role and responsibilities. Expectations are high and you will work hard, but you will be rewarded with decent pay, a positive work environment and great colleagues.
YMCA is a great workplace to learn how to help people find a job to their liking and learn how to communicate with your fellow co-workers.
I loved working with my fellow co-workers at YMCA. I learnt how to help the best way I could other than helping people looking for a job of their own.
Amazing Staff
Working at the YMCA feels like I am part of a team, and all the staff are very understanding and care about their fellow employees. We are never forced to do things we are not comfortable with and this job is very fun overall.
Low salaries and no opportunities for advancement
Salaries in general are very low and no opportunities for career advancement.
No complaints about the environment but this is not enough.

Adm wise: old school and conservative, old electronic systems, processes outdated.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Low salary, no job advancement
It’s a great place to work
The families are wonderful. Some days there can be challenges that tend to be stressful. They are very flexible when different personal situations arise. They usually try to work with you.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA of Greater Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.