YMCA of Greater Toronto

YMCA of Greater Toronto Employee Reviews

Canada133 reviews

Stressful

Stressful and there’s a lot of writing every day when you’re working there’s no break there’re many rules that we need to follow sometimes they don’t make sense

Great place to work if you’re good at improvising and working hard

Great people. Expectations for pt staff up to mid management don’t match rates of pay/salaries. Excellent training and development opportunities for full time

Pros

Coworkers at all levels

Cons

Work life balance, benefits for FT are deducted from salary, not in addition to it

Love my JOB!!!

Love my team and the Y atmosphere! I see myself retiring here and I don't mind working the split shifts! I have a great supervisor who is a great support and then dont forget the nature of the work- playing with children! Cant get better than this!

Pros

Team and working with children!

Cons

NONE- love working for the YMCA

Easy going environment, good support staff.

A perfect place to learn, achive your goals, and grow. Supervisors are always there for you to help you and guide you. You are given opportunities to grow based on your leadrship skils and experince in the field

Pros

Perfect place to get experince and grow

Cons

Split shift

Great working environment, not enough pay.

Working with the Y offers a ton of opportunities to grow in the organization. However the pay could be better, and not all supervisors are good. I am fortunate to have a good one, but others that I have worked alongside have been bullies to their staff... and we don't get paid enough to put up with it. Working with families and children is a lot of fun though.

Pros

Great coworkers. Good working culture/environment

Cons

Not enough pay. emotionally draining at times

It was fun working but the previous members were not happy to see us.

It was very productive and fun working with all team members at YMCA.But other who were working there previously don’t cooperated. They need some feedback and counselling.

Pros

Information meetings

Cons

No team work environment

great work environment

the Ymca is a great place to work with a supportive environment and a great work culture. The Clars assessment centre is fairly structured so there is change mostly to new tools used

Pros

good work hours

Cons

can be stressful at times

Fun atmosphere to work in

It's a great organization to work for. Always shows recognition for its employees. The management levels are very approachable and supportive. Kudos.

Productive and a fun workplace.

A very well established company with room for improvement. Very diverse, respectful and inclusive environment. Everyone is given an equal opportunity to excel. Frequent workshops and seminars are provided to employees to help upgrade their effectiveness.

Pros

Free gym membership and discounted summer camps

Cons

Depending on your location, travel times might be long

Productive and engaging workplace

Start of the shift with sorting out my lesson plans for the scheduled classes I will have for the day. Working at the YMCA has taught me to be more organized and has taught me how to properly interect with customers/patrons to ensure the reputation of the company is maintained.Management is very flexible with work hours and is very understanding if last second changes have to be made.The hardest part of the job is handling with students who are not listening in the class.The most enjoyable part of the job is the gratification of a student who was able to learn something with me.

Pros

Flexible working hours, excellent management

Cons

Limited weekly work hours

Diverse workplace with plenty of learning opportunities.

I thoroughly enjoy my work, school-aged children are a fun crowd to be in. Then staff is qualified and trained professionals, we are like a family to each other!

benefits

Old-fashioned management style.

A good place to start your entry level career and that's it! Don't wait for development (none), motivation, etc. Your entire development process will depend more on you. The HR team's approach is more administrative than strategic and the chances of putting an idea into practice are very low due to management based on coercive power, unclear communication tools and the old-fashioned style.

Pros

Good for entry levels

Cons

No people management

Fun workplace with great coworkers

I learned so much working here and had great coworkers. I loved learning everything that i did and experienced many things which has helped me to grow as a person and professional

Pros

Great co- workers

Cons

Stressful

Great Company and Co-workers!

Everyone is inclusive and kind to everyone. Great place for advancement as they are flexible with their requirements. Focuses on your goals and you as an individual. Love this company and everyone that I've worked with.

Pros

Free Snacks, Free Advices

Productive and fun work environment!

Everyone is so accommodating to employee needs and they always great teamwork! The training is very well done and room for growth always happens! Great place to work!

Pros

Benefits, lovely management

Cons

Slow winter months

Great first job

Working at the YMCA was a great first job and a good place so get some experience working with children. Initially working here was good but then management kept changing and things became very unorganized. Many of the drop-in programs got cancelled or replaced and the parents would get upset with me when these decisions were out of my control.

Pros

dental benefits for part-time staff after a few years

Cons

unorganized

Terrible

Management and job was stressful. Salary was not thoroughly explained to any workers, majority of the workers there deserve a HIGHER pay than what they are getting. Supervisor never checked into centres like they should have, never checked on workers. Left workers last minute when short-staffed. Expected on-site supervisor and workers to do the higher up supervisors job of completing paperwork.

Pros

Cons

salary, management, supervision, supervisor's attitude

A Great Place to Work

As a supply Early Childhood Assistant, I visited many different daycare centres. Most had a fantastic work environment. There was one or two daycare centres I went to that I would not recommend (based on how staff treated me there). (This is out of many centres though!) Luckily, as a supply, you can remove these as locations you want to go to in the supply system. The pace of the day is different based on what time of day it is, as well as what age group you're working with. My supervisor was fantastic & her centre was fantastic as well! The hardest part of the job (for me anyway) is when staff are rude to each other. Mostly great communication at all centres.

Pros

Great team environment, flexible hours

Cons

Can feel long (depends on how you schedule it)

Greta environment

Great environment to grow as a person. Supportive staff and company. They help you flourish as an individual and as an employee. There are raises quite often and they address employee's concerns swiftly most of the time.

healthy working environment

camping time can be busy Helpful coworkers and team leaders respectful communication between management and employees communicative and patient the time period of the contract was not initially shared or mentioned which should have been. The sitting arrangement of the contact centre was little congested which needs to be worked in, proper Id badge.

Pros

positive work culture, work life balance

Productive and a Collaborative work environment

My overall experience at the YMCA of Greater Ontario was an amazing experience. This company made it easier for me to make connections with different people.

Pros

Free access to gym, and membership

Cons

small environment for workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA of Greater Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2