YMCA of Greater Toronto Employee Reviews

Great Team, Great Organization
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON20 June 2019
I love working for the YMCA! I work with a fantastic team we support each other when anyone needs it. Our general manger genuinely cares about us and our ideas.

As a full time staff, the benefits work great for my young family. I feel like my work/life balance is level and am able to feel like I am making a difference in my community.

Hands down the best company culture I have experienced. I feel very fortunate and I see my self here for a long, long time.
Pros
Support, Great team great company values
Great Place to work
Local Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 June 2019
If you are young and looking for a great job with a good group of people the YMCA is a great organization to be a part of philanthropically and all around it is an excellent job.
Great work culture and benefits, supportive management teams
Child Care (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON13 June 2019
I'm so proud to work for the Y! Love this organization and how it cares about and gives back to the community. I also love having the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children.

I feel my work is appreciated, and I receive feedback on an ongoing basis. Full-time staff receive amazing health and dental benefits, a pension plan, program discounts, and a free health and fitness membership at their local Y.

The Y values volunteerism, provides learning opportunities, and encourages career growth of current staff. I started as a volunteer and have worked in different roles within the Child Care program area.

Can't say enough great things about this Association! My manager is super supportive and approachable, and I work with a great team!
Pros
Learning and growth opportunities, great benefits, supportive colleagues and managers
Great environment
Early Childhood Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON3 June 2019
Really great place to work. Made some great friends working here. Co-workers and management gave me some great pointers and constructive criticism and really helped me grow as a person, and an ECE.
Nice Place to Work, anything else is Garbage
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 May 2019
+ Nice Place and fun place to work
- Poor Management, lots of favoritism
- Benefits are just OK
- Salary is just minimum unless you're on top management
- No chance for improvement unless you're the bosses favorite
- No life balance
Pros
Nice and Fun Place to work
Cons
All the cons
I learnt about EC work in Canada
Supply Early Childhood Assistant (Former Employee) –  oakville and mississauga2 April 2019
My supervisor and manager were nice to me and understood my situation in regards to having my first job at YMCA, and I was invited to different meetings and professional development courses which helped me to grow little by little.
Pros
nice premise, professional staff
Cons
temporary
Fun when you have the right people
EARLY CHILDHOOD ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON29 January 2019
An amazing team makes all the difference! Very helpful and encouraging environment to work in. The relationships with the children and families really mean a lot. It is important to be involved and have fun. There is a lot of responsibility and we could always use more help. But if you are a team player, willing to learn and be supportive (when needed) it is a great place to work.
Pros
the employees, children, getting to be a kid at times
Cons
low pay, not enough appreciation, zero to none sick days
Administrative Support (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2019
I started as a volunteer in this location but soon got the job offer at HR department of Y as I was volunteering here too. Has more opportunities to grow the skills.
Pros
nice place
Very nice place
Instructor Swim Lessons and Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 December 2018
Great place, great facilities the staff are friendly and very open to new staff members the staff change room was a bit lack lustre but all in all a nice place and good pay
Pros
good pay, nice location
Loved it
Clerical Support (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON23 November 2018
One of my all time favourite jobs. Even though working with clients could definitely be frustrating at the time I loved what I did. If I could go back I definitely would.
great place
Child Dance Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2018
i love working for the YMCA because the staff treat each other like family with respect and sincere thought. the families and children are great to be around and you learn different things from them about their cultures and home lives that help make each program experience different.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
short sifts
two thumbs down
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 July 2018
no work life balance, crying kids all day, staff have lots of attitude and drama. High stress job, parents complain about everything and no support from managment
a benefitial place to work
volunteering (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 June 2018
It's a very good place to volunteer especially for people new to Canada. We can learn alot of things about Canada through them and u get to work and meet new people. Can
Pros
free bus tickets
great job
Child Dance Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2018
I appreciate working or the YMCA of GTA because as a company they focus on inclusion in the workplace and providing a beginning for immigrants to this country. I feel that they are a great place to work.
Pros
lovely staff
Cons
no benefits for part time staff
best place for work
Resource Center Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 October 2017
best place for work. friendly and nice person, quiet environment, staff are ready to help you anytime, easy access to equipment, responsible and punctual
Pros
aa
Cons
aa
ymca
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON20 July 2017
YMCA Scarborough has the worst management team of all time.
the management team has no idea what goes on in and outside of the office. Management does not take pride in good employees who work extra hard to achieve there audit goals. YMCA Scarborough management only cares about budgets and not the people or there employees. However what keeps the YMCA office going is the employment team which works together to accomplish management goals. Therefore they are always stressed out and under paid however still deliver great team work.

Management and employees have no communication with one another and employees are often put down because Scarborough management is to busy and doesn't embrace or like change. Management is very much stuck in there old ways and is not exactly educated on what's new in the society, they figure there employees to work in and progress in.

Staff usually are the ones to help one another when the work load becomes over whelming and with great team work, work is delivered on time and accomplished.
Pros
great employees and volunteers
Cons
management/salary
fun place to work
Daycare Provider (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 May 2017
met lots of new people
learned a lot about their history and day care ways
managers and staff were all very helpful and nice to work with
overall a great job
fun work place
Aquatics Counselor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2017
enjoyed working with children and staff in an organized environment
if wanting to become a teacher this is a great start.
Pros
work in great environment
Great Organization !!
Assistant Outdoor Educator (Current Employee) –  Schomberg, ON29 November 2016
Just love working at Outdoor Center!!!! Being up there always great keeps me connected to nature. Giving me a step to move forward in this field at a school Board level
Pros
Free lunches and dinner breakfast
Productive Events
Leadership Group (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 November 2015
Very High Spirited of co workers as well as group members lots of fun and events connecting with teens and resolving problems and talking about real life situations and life decisions.
Pros
free lunches

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA of Greater Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.

YMCA of Greater Toronto Reviews by Location