YMCA of Greater Toronto

YMCA of Greater Toronto Employee Reviews

Canada159 reviews

childsupportiveorganizationstaffsupervisorcommunityprogramsupport

Fun and fufilling workplace

good way to spend the summer, would recommend for students to work here if they enjoy kids and want to meet nice staff as well. Never had any problems with the company

Best Place to work with Youth!

The Y is an amazing organization! I've had so many opportunities to grow both personally and professionally. From taking part in a leadership camp with my youth, to helping to lead an Exchange program- it's such an amazing job. Managers are so understanding and really value mental health. Everyone has such a big heart, and want to see you succeed. Pay could be better, but the experience you earn, without question, will take you to the next level.

Insights into YMCA of Greater Toronto

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Support from manager

Caring workplace but lackluster senior management

I worked at the Cooper Koo location between 2016 to 2019. It was great at the beginning when there was an Aquatics Supervisor but then she left and our department felt like we were just trying to float. I just felt like we were a forgotten department. Many swim instructors would not come to work and there weren't any consequences. There was stress on reorganizing the kids into the classes and making sure they were within ratios. I'm not sure how things are now, but when I left they finally hired a new supervisor. The centre itself is a pretty caring environment to work in. Benefits are offered even if you're part time, and you get access to any Y.

Fun workplace, great people

My camp was a great experience, would recommend to any students or anyone trying to break into education. Co workers, and senior staff made the summer an enjoyable experience.

YMCA is a great company. They have benefits even for part time employees. The food the children eat there is amazing, so nutritional and healthy! I really enjoyed working there.

Comfortable to work if you do your best as a team player

It is a place to feel comfortable and grow professionally. Prepare for the interview accordingly but if you care about children it won't be challenging to do well.

benefits

Cons

lack of resource

Volunteer

I volunteered at the resource centre. Great place to gain experience and work with a great group of people who support you and your overall well being.

Fun place to work

Great people poor pay, I wouldn't recommend working there for long. Part time is good. The staff are very nice but the pay is poor. Disorganized at times.

Productive and fun workplace!

Overall I enjoyed my employment with the company. The staff culture was very diverse. The management team really out in the effort to ask about your day and really care about the employees well being.

Great employee benefits, lacking everywhere else

If you're looking for a place to enter into the recreation field, the YMCA is a decent place to start. My position had a lot less impact than I thought I would have and the management is just a bit on the micro side. If that's your thing, go right ahead.

It's fun but short hours

It's fun to work with kids and you collaborate with others so you never work alone but the hours are short especially if you do split shifts. you only work full hours on pd days and holidays

Pros

Free leftover food

Cons

short hours

Nice people and good learning experience

The workplace culture is great and diverse. Management is very supportive and provides you with great mentors while on the job. Great training. Workload is managed.

Pros

Flexible time

Cons

Average pay

Very positive work atmosphere, friendly co workers

YMCA is a great place to work at, from friendly co workers to wide range of benefits. Great learning environment and training sessions to help you get started.

Great Place To Work During Summer

The most important thing is to hope that your immediate team in camp is committed because the job can be tasking. But if everyone is committed to the kids then you will have a fun time.

great for experience but that’s it

This job gives you great experience with child and their families. You create great bonds and build a real connection within the CYW field. Unfortunately the management solely caters to the families and doesn’t care much about the staff. This job doesn’t have a union or incentives or bonuses, forget about a raise here. I started as a supply and worked my way up , working as a supply I noticed that the current 2022 director for the south etobicoke Ymca doesn’t care about staff at all. The job culture is depressing and draining , staff are so unhappy and get thrown all over the place to different sites due to staff constantly quitting. This job is like a revolving door , you’re in and you’re out forget about asking for a reference from anyone working here they will not come through for you. The pay is garbage as a newbie in the field ECE or CYW I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE. It’s just the the name that’s attractive , you think you’re joining a big great company until you actually get there and realize that this place is a sick joke.

Very inclusive work environment

Love my work here but not the pay scale! Management is very intune to there work force. They provide loads of work/life support. Co-workers are fantastic. My biggest complaint is the pay. Have recieved a number of raises since starting but now that they raised their lowest pay category I am making the same as new highers. Not happy about that!

Great company with lots of flexiablity and growth opportunities.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the interactions with the children. The workplace culture is great, however, the hardest part was the short amount of time spent on the job. I worked part-time so I did not get to do as much connecting with staff, parents, and children as I would have liked to.

This YMCA location I 'm working for is the worst child center I've come across in my career of 30 years .I don 't know about other ymca centers.

There is a lot of open favouritism, the supervisor and staff in charge do whatever they want , support their own favourites while staff they dislike are not supported at all.I do believe in honesty, sincerity and integrity. They believe in lies and unjust things which I do not support.This system is not fair to some of us in the center, It is soo stressful to work here.

Trust, Cooperation, and knowledgeable

I recommend working at YMCA to anyone looking for a safe, calm, secure and happy work environment, the company's staff is educated and specialized in working with children, doing great teamwork. They are very friendly, loving and supportive of each other, the children as well as the parents of the children.

Fun and easy workplace

Fun work environment, great co-workers, easy environment, members are kind and a great job if your a student in high school or university. Would recommend anyone.

Great Experience

Great experience for a beginner job. Depends on the location. The location will depend on the amount work you need to do and the stress level. Awesome place to work at if you have a great team.

Pros

Free snacks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA of Greater Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement