YMCA Calgary

YMCA Calgary Employee Reviews

Canada21 reviews
No one is on the same page half the time and many times no one is sure what rules to follow because they change on the weekly. There is no accurate frame work which is frustrating. Most people are great to work with but sometimes people are just out to get you depending on the location so, be careful.
I'm happy with my work but i am working as partime and i need more hrs, since there is so many employee, i cannot get so many hrs. But with regards to colleuage and management i can say they were awesome .
A typical work day at the ymca daycare is do play with the kids and interact with them
i have experience working with in past days and the management with the day care already
YMCA is the best environment for kids to play, make friends and learn !
The child will have fun in the preschool room participating and movement fundamentals. And our program supports children to build positive relationships and gain confidence with early learning concepts.
Great place to gain experience. The LINC program was a great program for the students and I was happy to be a part of it. Some aspects of the management could be improved.
Training is awful as well as pay, management/supervisor support is next to nothing and it is very much a retail type environment which means staff can get treated poorly (which happens daily) but the support is always for the client no matter how verbally abusive they are. So they can treat staff like garbage to get what they want. Not a fair trade for minimum wage.....
Salary did not increase in 3 years only supervisor got increase lots of OT not being paid after 3 months until you leave company. Yearly gift anniversary from gift card turns to 8$ coffee voucher blamed for contractor using defective materials while top management approved lots of issues specially money matter if you have no experience suck it up or much better to work for other company
Good experience as a first-time lifeguard. Horrible management and poorly organized. Fun place to work and great place to make new friends. Good training as well.
Having volunteered there for a few months now. I have bounced around a few sports, the schedule is to my choosing and management allowed for incredible flexibility and they look out for your well-being. They take much pride in ensuring the best quality towards their members, and I am glad to be part of this.
Pros
Free membership after 30 hours of Volunteering
Cons
If you like change and working with people you will enjoy the Y! There is a lot of opportunity for growth and development and it is a great organization for the community. The growth of the association in a short period resulted in some catching up of systems and processes to support the size of the organization. I enjoyed my experience at the Y but ultimately left because the salary was less than I felt a manager should receive.
Pros
Great people, benefits and vacation.
Cons
Salary compensation is below market value.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at YMCA Calgary?
While working for an active, healthy, charitable, community has its benefits, the YMCA is very political and top heavy. Upper management is disconnected form their frontline staff, and while it is a non for profit it is still a money driven company.
good place to work. I worked with kids that were ages 8-13 and it was tiring but it was a good time. Would do again next year. Don't know what else to write just trying to fill space
I worked at Camp chief hector, lots of fun and I really can't complain. Hard work but I met amazing people and considering the free room and board I couldnt ask for anything more
It was a very exciting experience and great team environment, given the opportunity to have worked in two different locations.
Caring for the Calgary communities and helping the young.
Pros
Family comes first
Cons
Non that I can think of.
The people here are the best in the world. I have friends for life from this job and my old general manager was the best. He banged his head against the brickwall of the head office for us and was let go for his efforts. So here I am job hunting...

Thats the trick about work like this, you can really put blinders on and dig in for the long haul and when you look up you realize that the people in the city don't care as much as you do about the values and good people are easy to chew up because they will do more and more and more until there is nothing left of them, this place has no problem finding a new person who loves the outdoors to replace you.

They will give you chances to learn and do things that will amaze you. Hardest part of the job is going inside

Keep your eyes on reality and enjoy the ride.
Pros
Work outdoors and make a difference
Cons
You can get addicted to this place
Great people
Friendly Environment

Largely involved in the surrounding community and takes pride in their members and social responsibility to be a family gym
It was beautiful to work there but the camp culture was one built around wealth which was intimidating. I was let down with the lack of screening for hiring. They hired people who were reckless just because they needed bodies for ratios.
Pros
Setting
Cons
Bad Food, Bad culture
tight knit culture in a high stress, high intensity work environment. Great management with plenty of opportunity to develop leadership and management experience.
My time at the Y was enjoyable. I reported to the VP who is one the best in the industry. Provided guidance when you needed it, but trusted you to make the right decision. Compassionate. Straight forward. Can be funny at times.
Pros
Executive Team, HR and Payroll, Employees and Management
Cons
Travelling, Can be lonely at times
Great place for families and community. The facility offers a wide variety of programming for all age groups including climbing and swimming programs. Great choice for exercise and family activities.
The YMCA is a great place to meet dedicated people that value their work and impact in the community. Their international partnerships and collaborations are what sets them apart from other non for profits.