YMCA Calgary

YMCA Calgary Employee Reviews

Canada36 reviews

managementpeoplegreatworkymcaplacetimeenvironment

Flexible and Fun

It's very flexible and the interview was pretty easy. The pay is better than some companies but still pretty low. You get a free gym membership. Some pools have too many kids.

Great entry level lifeguard position

Good culture, very hit and miss with management, not great compensation, great flexibility, and solid potential for job advancement. Enjoyable teams to work with.

Insights into YMCA Calgary

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Inclusive work environment

Meh sums it up.

Expect to work alongside lovely coworkers and lovely lower management.Also expect "meh" pay, little-to-no worthwhile advancement opportunities, and VERY hit-or-miss senior management. Definitely agree with posters comments about COVID-19 emphasizing these issues.

Pros

Great coworkers, free membership

Cons

Meh upper management, bad pay, and scarce advancement opportunities

Nice place to work for

Pay is decent compared to other ECE work. Benefits are good. Supervisors are good. I don’t enjoy having to explain reasons for time off and having to fight for it though.

Nice place to work at

It is a good company and there are a lot of kind people there! However I find the times when I get paid are random and the hours are not very flexible. But overall it’s a comfortable environment

Great place to work!

Great job for a student. The management is super supportive and organized. Honestly the best I have ever encountered. The job itself is very fun and easy going. The workers I've worked with are always very nice and have a good work ethic. Overall an amazing place to work.

Pros

Supportive management, fun environment

Cons

short shifts

Fun place to work

This is a fun place to work, depending on your coworkers and manager. Benefits are really good, but salary is low compared to the same job at other companies. Often short staffed and it puts a strain on the other staff members, lots of burnout. They have been trying their best to recognize the work we’re doing, which I appreciate, but we just need more staff to help cover vacation/sick days.

Pros

Benefits, pension, paid vacation, free membership

Cons

Low Pay, lack of communication within company

Great PT jobs to have as a student

Lots of amazing opportunities for university students, YMCA offers time flexibility and accommodation as needed. They are well organized for staff training, and allow reimbursement for work related expenses. They also hire people from a diverse cultural background which is a big plus for growing young Canadian immigrants to be represented.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Low pay

Good atmosphere bad pay

Good work culture but low pay for amount of work load given. Many opportunities for growth and development within the company. Often short staffed which adds to work load

Great Place to Work!

I live working for the Y. Since we've become Three Rivers there have been a lot of positive changes. As an RECE I'm paid well and get more than average time off.

Pros

Paid sick days and vacation, pension plan, benefits

Cons

Long hours. I'm doing 4 10 hour shifts and it's hard sometimes, but I really enjoy the day off

The YMCA Calgary was a great place to work, then Covid hit.

The YMCA was a great place to work when I joined 1 year prior to Covid. Management was always supportive (minus senior leadership) and we always had a great team who made everyone feel like family. However after Covid hit and our first shutdown that all went out the window. Senior leadership became more and more detached from reality, and more and more detached from their frontline staff. I genuinely feel let down, and used by the leaders of what used to be a fantastic charity organization. We used to always put people first, but now its all money first, staff last. Positions are eliminated with no warning or reasoning, staff are left to fend for themselves with little to no guidance from senior leadership who have to this point become so detached from the situation at the frontlines, that staff are left feeling hopeless. The thing that frustrates me most is I have met, and worked with some of the best people I have ever met in my time at the YMCA, however that ends at the branch level for the most part. I have seen some of the kindest, most generous people I have ever met get torn down and made to feel small because of a toxic leadership style from those above the branch level. This applies across the board, no matter what department you turn to. None of us took jobs at the YMCA to get rich, we do it because of the culture we as frontline staff build every day, for the people we work with, the family we made, but all we asked for in return was even a minutia of compassion, or respect from our senior leaders (all the way up to our CEO) and in return got nothing. In my opinion -

Pros

a roof over your head

Cons

senior leadership, culture

Unorganized but rewarding

I overall enjoyed my experience because I am passionate about working with children and it was rewarding. Unfortunately, the management/leadership team was unprofessional and disorganized. Other than a select few in the leadership team (my coordinators were amazing), the management was not very supportive at all. Program plans were also pretty awful:/ felt like babysitting not camp, so I often came up with different programs on the spot. Most importantly, it was very disheartening to see that they are all about promoting inclusiveness, but didn’t adequately provide a safe space for children with exceptionalities. This is because the counsellors did not have proper training to be taking care of these children, they should have been placed somewhere that can give them amazing care and strategies for improvement and growth, or at least have certified workers come in to provide care. The management/leadership team was reactive, not proactive.

Pros

Rewarding, fun with the kids, made friends.

Cons

Unsupportive, disorganized, stressful, low pay, long hours.

No one works at the Y for the money, they get paid in the meaningful relationships they build with their team.

The highest leadership at YMCA Calgary is seriously misguided, and when those notions trickle down, it makes for a very toxic workplace. The teams that operate together are like family and you will come to rely on one another to survive the dictatorship at the top. Pre-covid, the Y was a respected charity, and now, it’s an exclusive membership money grab. The front line staff are intensely overworked and deeply underpaid. The Y can be a good stepping stone on your way to bigger and better things, but the management will only see you and the other staff as chess pieces.

Pros

Decent benefits

Cons

Long hours, unachievable goals, no work-life balance, toxic leadership

Senior Leadership is Extremely Out of Touch

It was a great place to work, however senior leadership (VPs and above) have no clue what is going on inside the branches because they haven’t been in one since March 2020. They make decisions that make no sense and to the detriment of the YMCA brand. Hopelessly out of touch.

Pros

Excellent support from middle management, great co-workers

Cons

Out of touch senior leadership, low pay

Great non profit to work for.

YMCA is a non profit organization that helps people and families of all types and sizes to gain and live a healthy lifestyle. They are NOT run by the city, and strive to help people who are less fortunate have access to the YMCA for their physical and mental well being.

Pros

Free membership, excellent benefits, great work environment.

Poor Leadership at Seton Branch, Low Pay, Flexible Work

For a people-focused organization that claims to be caring and value respect, I was constantly amazed at the Seton Branch General Manager and Business Manager’s hostility towards staff and volunteers. During my time at the Seton Branch, I never had one positive interaction with these individuals. This is unfortunate because there are elements of this organization/branch that could be enjoyable.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Gm, Business Manager, Pay, Too many rules that are inconsistently enforced.

Disorganized, great coworkers

No one is on the same page half the time and many times no one is sure what rules to follow because they change on the weekly. There is no accurate frame work which is frustrating. Most people are great to work with but sometimes people are just out to get you depending on the location so, be careful.

People are amazing

I'm happy with my work but i am working as partime and i need more hrs, since there is so many employee, i cannot get so many hrs. But with regards to colleuage and management i can say they were awesome .

great people

A typical work day at the ymca daycare is do play with the kids and interact with them i have experience working with in past days and the management with the day care already

I love children and I enjoy playing with my kids!

YMCA is the best environment for kids to play, make friends and learn ! The child will have fun in the preschool room participating and movement fundamentals. And our program supports children to build positive relationships and gain confidence with early learning concepts.

Great place

Great place to gain experience. The LINC program was a great program for the students and I was happy to be a part of it. Some aspects of the management could be improved.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA Calgary. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement