YM inc Employee Reviews

A good workplace with a friendly environment
Intern Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2018
YM Inc is a company that owns multiple clothing retailer chains such as Sirens and Urban Planet. Their head office in Toronto, Ontario is home to a wide variety of departments, such as accounting, payroll, and I.T. The workplace is nice and clean, and many employees are friendly and willing to have conversations. YM Inc. offers nice benefits and special days where they serve free food. Overall, it is a good place to work at.
Pros
Free lunches, reasonable pay, friendly workculture
Cons
Long hours, no pension plan
Horrible
MIT (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON20 November 2018
this company was one of the worst companies I worked for

1.had to train at a location that was not easy for me to get to for about 2/3 weeks and wouldnt work with me to find somewhere closer

2.when I got to my actual location I was going to work at my co workers were RUDE and were not willing to help me and I felt super uncomfortable and just wanted to quit right away

3. DM was beyond rude to me for no reason and called me stupid and worthless

4. I was getting paid way less then most people in my position and i had more experience then most of them
Pros
Cons
Rude DMs, pay, uncomfortable environment and sooo much more
Hostile environment, unhelfpul management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 November 2018
wont be able to speak for the whole company but all locations in metrotown under YMINC is a joke. first: you have a workplace that is very hostile and highschool-ish environment, just overall not great for growth. second: depending on who your DM and SM is, but most likely unless you can speak up for yourself and you are "tight" with any of the management then you're basically replaceable and useless to them regardless of how good and how much effort you put in the work. third: this might be the cheapest COMPANY ever, again might be Wrong, just depending on who your DM and or SM is, they basically pay minimum and will take advantage of that unless you speak up. lastly, customer's treatment to employee's is like no other (in a terrible way) .cause the brand is known for being a low end, messy, market like environment and no class workers. people come in there to basically mess up the whole place, get mad at you for not giving them discounts on "dirty" items (usually customers fault too)
Pros
20% emplpyee discount on top of any promo, basically you can get up to 70%discounts
Cons
Everything else
Absolute Trash
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2018
I’ve been working for this company for approximately 3 years now. Poor management because they highly judge you based on appearance and background. There is absolutely no room for growth except if the upper management likes how look. Pathetic. Customers are very cheap and will fight for a 3$ shirt. According to the managers, “ everyone is replaceable anyways “. Ridiculous.
Pros
They dont care
Cons
They dont care
Good place
Sr. Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2018
Fantastic Positive environment, Amazing corporate culture with regards to giving back to community. Great enablement. Senior Management support and genuinely care about their employees.
clean and nice to work in retail
Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON2 November 2018
good place to work if you are starting to build a work life. clean and simple work duties. does anyone really read these things. adfn asdfn df asdf asdf
Most disrespectful company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario7 September 2018
This company doesn't care about you.. all they care about is money. Get severely injured on the job, nothing is done. Ask for a raise, nothing is done. Get belittled and humiliated by your DM, nothing gets done. Its basically "oh well, you dont like it, leave we can always fine another sucker to take your place. Worst company ever. I've worked many retail jobs and this one was the worst. Stay clear.
Beneficial Summer Experience
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2018
Busy schedule but great people and environment to work in. Marketing department is relatively open concept and allows for a lot of communication between various teams. There's always something new and exciting around the corner!
Pros
Cake day, and great people
Cons
Not a prime office location
Awful
TL, ASM, SM (Former Employee) –  Ontario25 August 2018
Worked for the company for 3 years. Progressed quickly into management. Relocated for the job, was given TEN days notice. Was treated very poorly by head office and LP.
Complete joke, no warnings and they fired me, after completely turning their store around.
Never would I recommend this company for any reason
Pros
20% off, including on sales and in sister stores
Cons
Everything else
Environement de travail nocif
Associée aux ventes (Former Employee) –  Sherbrooke, QC15 August 2018
Ce n'est pas une compagnie qui priorise le bien être de c'est employé
fast paced store, lots to do.
Assistant Manager Urban Planet (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 August 2018
lots of daily tasks to do done by myself, as part of management. High volume store led to high LP issues, overall people were amazing, however lacked communication the entirety of the store needed to run smoothly. a lot of DIY instead of team efforts. Loved working there just wish specific ideas were heard from all!
Bilingual agent
Point of Sale BILINGUAL SUPPORT AGENT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2018
When I started there was very little training, more of a learn as you go type of job. A lot of people including senior positions don't know how to fix a lot of the issues. Also, the software system that the stores use constantly crash, freeze, or new major problems occur on a daily basis with no resolution. Definitely a temp job if you can't find anything.
Pros
pay is good with benefits, monthly lunches\cake, and opportunities in other departments if interested.
Cons
repetitive, always a new software problem, managers are not straight forward, weak training.
Head Office
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario18 July 2018
The hours are very long and breaks are not guaranteed. The pay is very low for such a profitable company. The HR department is a joke especially the VP. The company is all about making money and saving face. Issues were not resolved, upper level management do not care about employees. You are expected to be a robot. The environment is toxic and employees are greatly unappreciated. The job and the tasks itself are fine. Although I didnt receive proper training I learned the job very quickly and was able to problem solve and understand how to smoothly operate throughout my tasks. Training was awful. The person who trained me was 2-4 hrs late everyday and I was left to learn the job on my own, not having proper working knowledge with also no access to the network due to not receiving all proper tools that were supposed to be provided by HR. Biases and personal feelings are used against employees in this company as well. I treated everyone that I came across with the utmost respect, greeted and smiled and was told that I behaved opposite. This is a cheap company that I would liken to slavery if you are not upper management or a higher level executive.
Pros
20% Discount, Cake Day
Cons
Short Breaks, Toxic Environment, Horrible Training
No one will show they care.
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 July 2018
This company has huge, huge cons. Would defiantly not recommend. My whole career working for this company has been nothing but stress and anxiety. most of the time, the staff don't care about the store they are working in and management seems to not really care about the employees. head office doesn't give any whats about you, will constantly promise you things, and youll never see them. they add more and more jobs onto the pile you already have, and then you end up getting a PIP (write up) because all of your tasks aren't finished. the only good thing about this company would be the benefits. the salary is nothing, specially considering i worked as an MIT, all the other MIT's i know only made $14.25 after minimum wage went up to $14.00 an hour. if you don't want to be pushed around and belittled, i would NOT work for this company.
benefits
Cons
no one cares about you.
Allocation Analyst
Allocation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2018
Overworked, underpaid, no advancement, favoritism and snarky people. The merchandising department is the most thankless place to be, strategies enabled are not recognized and the salary is on par for what is now the minimum wage. Have to work two jobs to make ends meet also only five sick days for the year.
Pros
On-site cafe
Cons
Low Pay
Management was horrible
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC28 April 2018
The management for these companies is horrible.. You will only come across a couple good assistant managers or managers. If you do, you'll come to realize that they are going to be transferring to a new store or that they've found a new job. Stay clear of this company unless you'd like to be pushed around and you really need the job.
It is an ok company to work for
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 March 2018
Very busy long days never bored
learn lots about merchandising
Great people to work with
Long hour days
Cheap clothes= cheap customers
OVER WORKED UNDER PAID
Pros
secure 40 hr week (management only)
Okay job
Distribution Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 March 2018
Learn about clothes.
Forklifts
Cherry picker.
Receiving skills containers labeling.
Picking orders.
Manage people .
As400.
Couriers .
Truck driving .
Decent
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 March 2018
working at Blue Notes was a decent job growing up as a high school student flexible hours and laid back job with a well rounded crew. not many bad things about this job.
Used and Abused
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 February 2018
Get ready to work for free, be set up to fail and gain zero recognition. Upper management is a complete boys club so if you’re a woman don’t plan on advancement. Labor board violations happen daily and they constantly take advantage of those who don’t know any better. Store managers often have no idea what they are doing, have zero skills and constantly disobey basic labor laws due to lack of training. The HR department seems to be no better so no example is set for them anyway. Managers seem to be just chasing employees for signatures on office memos rather than having time to do their job. Upper management constantly talks down to managers and treats them like utter dirt, and expects them to work non-stop. The company could have potential if they’d invest in their own people by treating them and paying them well but instead play boys club and get nothing real accomplished. Shining stars are dulled in order to keep themselves in power. If only the owner knew what kind of culture they were creating and the money of his they were wasting and how much talent they’ve turned away.
Pros
Paycheck biweekly
Cons
Toxic Environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YM inc. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7