YM inc Employee Reviews

Most disrespectful company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario7 September 2018
This company doesn't care about you.. all they care about is money. Get severely injured on the job, nothing is done. Ask for a raise, nothing is done. Get belittled and humiliated by your DM, nothing gets done. Its basically "oh well, you dont like it, leave we can always fine another sucker to take your place. Worst company ever. I've worked many retail jobs and this one was the worst. Stay clear.
Beneficial Summer Experience
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2018
Busy schedule but great people and environment to work in. Marketing department is relatively open concept and allows for a lot of communication between various teams. There's always something new and exciting around the corner!
Pros
Cake day, and great people
Cons
Not a prime office location
Awful
TL, ASM, SM (Former Employee) –  Ontario25 August 2018
Worked for the company for 3 years. Progressed quickly into management. Relocated for the job, was given TEN days notice. Was treated very poorly by head office and LP.
Complete joke, no warnings and they fired me, after completely turning their store around.
Never would I recommend this company for any reason
Pros
20% off, including on sales and in sister stores
Cons
Everything else
Environement de travail nocif
Associée aux ventes (Former Employee) –  Sherbrooke, QC15 August 2018
Ce n'est pas une compagnie qui priorise le bien être de c'est employé
fast paced store, lots to do.
Assistant Manager Urban Planet (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 August 2018
lots of daily tasks to do done by myself, as part of management. High volume store led to high LP issues, overall people were amazing, however lacked communication the entirety of the store needed to run smoothly. a lot of DIY instead of team efforts. Loved working there just wish specific ideas were heard from all!
Bilingual agent
Point of Sale BILINGUAL SUPPORT AGENT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2018
When I started there was very little training, more of a learn as you go type of job. A lot of people including senior positions don't know how to fix a lot of the issues. Also, the software system that the stores use constantly crash, freeze, or new major problems occur on a daily basis with no resolution. Definitely a temp job if you can't find anything.
Pros
pay is good with benefits, monthly lunches\cake, and opportunities in other departments if interested.
Cons
repetitive, always a new software problem, managers are not straight forward, weak training.
Head Office
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario18 July 2018
The hours are very long and breaks are not guaranteed. The pay is very low for such a profitable company. The HR department is a joke especially the VP. The company is all about making money and saving face. Issues were not resolved, upper level management do not care about employees. You are expected to be a robot. The environment is toxic and employees are greatly unappreciated. The job and the tasks itself are fine. Although I didnt receive proper training I learned the job very quickly and was able to problem solve and understand how to smoothly operate throughout my tasks. Training was awful. The person who trained me was 2-4 hrs late everyday and I was left to learn the job on my own, not having proper working knowledge with also no access to the network due to not receiving all proper tools that were supposed to be provided by HR. Biases and personal feelings are used against employees in this company as well. I treated everyone that I came across with the utmost respect, greeted and smiled and was told that I behaved opposite. This is a cheap company that I would liken to slavery if you are not upper management or a higher level executive.
Pros
20% Discount, Cake Day
Cons
Short Breaks, Toxic Environment, Horrible Training
No one will show they care.
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 July 2018
This company has huge, huge cons. Would defiantly not recommend. My whole career working for this company has been nothing but stress and anxiety. most of the time, the staff don't care about the store they are working in and management seems to not really care about the employees. head office doesn't give any whats about you, will constantly promise you things, and youll never see them. they add more and more jobs onto the pile you already have, and then you end up getting a PIP (write up) because all of your tasks aren't finished. the only good thing about this company would be the benefits. the salary is nothing, specially considering i worked as an MIT, all the other MIT's i know only made $14.25 after minimum wage went up to $14.00 an hour. if you don't want to be pushed around and belittled, i would NOT work for this company.
benefits
Cons
no one cares about you.
Allocation Analyst
Allocation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2018
Overworked, underpaid, no advancement, favoritism and snarky people. The merchandising department is the most thankless place to be, strategies enabled are not recognized and the salary is on par for what is now the minimum wage. Have to work two jobs to make ends meet also only five sick days for the year.
Pros
On-site cafe
Cons
Low Pay
Management was horrible
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC28 April 2018
The management for these companies is horrible.. You will only come across a couple good assistant managers or managers. If you do, you'll come to realize that they are going to be transferring to a new store or that they've found a new job. Stay clear of this company unless you'd like to be pushed around and you really need the job.
It is an ok company to work for
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 March 2018
Very busy long days never bored
learn lots about merchandising
Great people to work with
Long hour days
Cheap clothes= cheap customers
OVER WORKED UNDER PAID
Pros
secure 40 hr week (management only)
Okay job
Distribution Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 March 2018
Learn about clothes.
Forklifts
Cherry picker.
Receiving skills containers labeling.
Picking orders.
Manage people .
As400.
Couriers .
Truck driving .
Decent
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 March 2018
working at Blue Notes was a decent job growing up as a high school student flexible hours and laid back job with a well rounded crew. not many bad things about this job.
Used and Abused
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 February 2018
Get ready to work for free, be set up to fail and gain zero recognition. Upper management is a complete boys club so if you’re a woman don’t plan on advancement. Labor board violations happen daily and they constantly take advantage of those who don’t know any better. Store managers often have no idea what they are doing, have zero skills and constantly disobey basic labor laws due to lack of training. The HR department seems to be no better so no example is set for them anyway. Managers seem to be just chasing employees for signatures on office memos rather than having time to do their job. Upper management constantly talks down to managers and treats them like utter dirt, and expects them to work non-stop. The company could have potential if they’d invest in their own people by treating them and paying them well but instead play boys club and get nothing real accomplished. Shining stars are dulled in order to keep themselves in power. If only the owner knew what kind of culture they were creating and the money of his they were wasting and how much talent they’ve turned away.
Pros
Paycheck biweekly
Cons
Toxic Environment
Soul Sucking Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ON19 February 2018
This company will suck your soul right out of you. The turnover rate at this company is ridiculous. The salary for corporate employees are close or even equal to minimum wage, they refuse to pay overtime and owes employees money. You work hard with little to no recognition and or appreciation. Asking for raise? Don't even bother, they will find some way to not give it to you. Loyalty? Forget about it. They don't care how much of your sweat and tears have gone into the company to make them great, you are replaceable once they see that you are getting paid too much, which is barely over minimum wage.
Cons
Underpaid, Overworked
Over great place to gain basic skills
Worker (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC25 January 2018
I have worked for YM.Inc for about 4 years, I have put so much of myself for this company and so have my co-workers but in my years working for YM.Inc I began to realize that their employees are of little value to them. It is upsetting but as my district manager once said "it's all business".
Pros
Great place to start in retail
Cons
Low hours
fast advancement, long hours.
VISUAL MERCHANDISER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2018
it is a very stressful environment, most of the time your work is not appreciated FOR EXAMPLE , you ask for a raise and even though you work super hard, they do not want to pay you more. Very cheap company.
Pros
bonuses
Wouldn't recommended to anyone
Analyst, Allocations (Former Employee) –  North York, ON29 December 2017
The worst company I have ever worked for, would not recommend to anyone. The company culture is very depressing and there isn't much opportunity for growth.
Avoid!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 December 2017
This was one of the worst companies i have worked for in my entire career in retail. I was an assistant manager and I was being paid close to minimum wage. I was forced into the position and untrained. I was forced to learn everything on my own and when things were not done to their standards because they refused to train me, I was humiliated. At all costs, i would avoid working for this company. They lack respect for their employees and income is not sufficient for the amount of work that needed to be done. Additionally, i was threatened and abused (hangers thrown at me, coffee thrown) by many customers in the work place and after reporting it to the company they would do nothing. If you made a problem about it because you honour your safety then they would make your life miserable and hate on you every chance they get. OVERALL... worst company to work for. Avoid.
Pros
Cons
lots.. to many to name
Awful work culture. no support and too much work
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  North York, ON29 November 2017
You will be forced to work overtime that you are never paid for. Minimal training. Assistants are expected to do everything and are treated like trash by the higher ups. We were basically made to feel like props. The office is a mess and a health and safety risk at every turn. Avoid at all costs to be honest.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YM inc. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7