WRDSB

WRDSB Employee Reviews

Canada14 reviews

The board treats you terribly

Fellow teachers are nice, but the administration and the board office specifically makes sure that you never get the support you need. They will wring you dry and then throw you out and find someone new that hasn't burnt out well. I hear other boards treat their employees much better and fight them less on acknowleding teaching experience from other boards/countries. Go to a different board if you can.

If you aren't a teacher, you will not be respected

WRDSB does not pay their support staff a living wage. They slash hours without our unions' permission. The only benefit of working there is that it's possible to move up the pay scale by taking on other jobs as they always try to hire within -- the issue is these people aren't qualified for their positions and it creates constant board-wide issues. IT for example is a joke, full of older individuals with 0 formal IT training. If you're specifically in a Library or Secretary position, God bless you. The Secretaries are so overworked, with teachers, parents, and even admin looking to THEM when the board doesn't give us coherent information. The library clerks work so hard doing their best to make library a fun and magical time for the kids, but all of a sudden all of our hours got slashed (right when libraries are finally fully open to kids?) The wage alone isn't enough, only having 25 hours of work is killing us.

Insights into WRDSB

Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility

Great dedicated team of staff.

I worked there for 10 plus years. Obviously it's nice having summers off, but as a support worker, it is unpaid. They offer supports for those in need, but it isn't always easy to navigate the website and/or access these supports.

Easy going and chill environment

I just worked as a lab assistant at my highschool as a student part time job. It was a good way to make some easy money on the side. Just set up some science labs and took them down for the day after school.

Pros

Part time right after school

Cons

Not enough hours

Good job, good pension, good hours. As an educational Assistant I wish they gave us full-time hours. A lot of behaviour work that you work with. Can be a very rewarding job.

Pros

Hours are good Hourly rate is good

Cons

Need full time hours

Good place to work I would recommend if too many people but the job is stressful and hard work.

A great place to work , some people not all are fun to work with, your job can be stressful ,Summer cleaner is 2 months it's very high cleaning from top to bottom right through floors stripping waxing painting walls high dusting cancel not involved outside work cleaning up the yard cutting down tree cutting grass maintaining their property overall I would recommend the job

Pros

Meeting once a month

Cons

Shoveling snow in the winter.

Avoid this school board

This used to be one of the best school boards in the province. No longer. Pays lip service to the idea of employee and student health and wellness but does little to support struggling staff and students. Some of the schools are in deplorable condition and decaying buildings do very little for student morale (staff either). Go to a more progressive school board if given the chance, one that actually implements the policies that they advertise. I have moved on to a much better school board that actually listens to front-line staff and the students in their buildings.

Great hours if you have children in school as well

The team I work with is great and very reliable which helps to provide a positive work environment Working with Secondary students with different abilities has been very rewarding

Its ok, if you keep to yourself

I love the job, and proud of being a custodian. But the complete lack of communication, poor management and supervisors more concerned with being top dog than actually doing their job allowing the lazy to run rampant in most schools. Makes you wonder why you work hard, and do a good job... it certainly doesnt get you any further, all it does is get you sent out to more schools to do the work of the lazy. Pay is not the greatest, but the sick days and other days do make like balance good. And there is the pension, which is a bonus if you get in young enough.

Fun, challenging, and growing work environment

Although I was a co-op student, I was treated very much with respect and maturity at Jean Steckle Public School. You had lots of ability to express yourself, engage with others, and really improve on your skills as well as gain new and challenging work experience. It was the most fun I've ever had at a job. i loved the kids and the staff was incredible!

Pros

Great schedule, amazing staff

Cons

Unpaid co-op

Wrdsb

Fun and engaging. Loved meeting new learners, was a wonderful experience. Really understanding and kind management. All of it was enjoyable. Would definitely work here again.

Can't say enough good things here.

The job is about what you want to put into it, and it can be difficult with rentals and 3rd party aftercare. The salary and benefits overtake the cons, however; getting full time can be lengthy.

flexible hours and days

if you need a job that works around your lifestyle then supply positions give you that. You must be able to drive to various locations and be willing to work on very short notice. Typically your day starts with a call at 6am. Some kids are a charm to work with, some are very difficult and some will break your heart. Some teachers will welcome you and others will resent you. Just work around them and remember why you are there.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

difficulty making friends

First job

Worked as a student custodian, light labour as a student. Didn't really have to lift anything more then 15lbs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WRDSB. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement