World Vision Canada

World Vision Canada Employee Reviews

Canada79 reviews
I had a lot of fun a good experience working at world vision
working at world vision was a good way to expand my knowledge about the work industry, I had the opportunity to be kind and respectful towards the people we were getting donations from.
Good if you like walking door to door
I personally doing live going door to door but for someone who does it is perfect. It was very very cold when I worked there as well and I don't like the cold lol
Does Great Work, Has Very High Expectations
Has Pros and Cons like any job does. Some remote positions available but 90% require living in the Greater Toronto Area. A Christian organization that does great work and has very high expectations.
Fun place to work for.
World Vision is a faith in action organisation helping to make real and lasting change in the lives of the world’s most vulnerable children. It is indeed a powerful and effective force for good.
Pros
Very diverse.
Productive, christian based, fulfilling
You'll immediately be introduced to a unique work dynamic as all staff participate in weekly devotions, and chapel service. Call center is mundane work, but you'll find joy in talking to passionate donors who give to World Vision
Great work life balance
Firstly this is a Christian charity organization with at least three 2-2 1/2 hours of dedicated time to Christian spiritual activities such as devotionals and chapel. These are normally very informal and led by team members.

The staff are really friendly and are eager to collaborate for the most part. There are staff organize exercise activities and in facility showers so working out during lunch is possible. The culture supports working from home when required and staff performance review system is really up to date.

My only issue is that growth opportunities are limited with the fundraising market declining and staff usually stay at the organization very long so promotion opportunities have been very limited. With increasing housing costs makes it difficult to stay at WVC if you are at a coordinator salary and are in your 30's.

The office is extremely diverse with people from a variety of nationalities and backgrounds which allows you to learn so much about other experiences.
Great Christian organization with good values
I enjoyed working at world vision- great people and a great environment, I enjoyed the devotions every morning and the chapel services every Wednesday.
I volunteered in a different department before
It was my pro-bono years. I volunteered in the Church engagement department. My typical day involves in using mail merge from Word to create promotional materials. It also involves picture inserts, relief regions information, and donor records maintenance. Then i moved to accounting department. My typical day there involves reconciliations, procurement reconciliations, payment reconciliation.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at World Vision Canada?
Very laid back work environment
Everyone there was very nice and shared the same values. I would come in, do my assigned activities, and be done for the day after around 4 hours. The most enjoyable part was that everyone was friendly and it is not strict.
Annual redundancies and layoffs
Absolutely no job security especially in Marketing division. There is no long term planning hence every year when there is not enough child sponsorship, the Leadership team panic and do massive job cuts which means multiple severance packages which is not good use of donors funds given the fact that shortly after each set of layoffs/redundancy similar roles are posted and this cycle just goes on. Non-profits need to be more accountable when using donor dollars.
Mission and Vision is Outstanding
A privilege to plan and create a whole new Church Engagement Strategy which began with 2 staff and had 21 staff by the time I passed on the leadership.
productive and fun place to work
i learned to speak out .
i learned to always have a target

i learned to be patient

i learned about success

i learned about children who need care and support
Pros
greta people
Cons
travelled alot
Great team
Great team. A real sense of providing help where needed.Systems were good. IT management given good autonomy. Interesting business structure, unique for Database support.
sinking ship
This used to be the best place to work. Staff are amazing and even though the job is stressful, we had fun every day doing what we loved. After a major reorg in 2017, things have gone downhill. Donations are down but instead of removing the CEO and other VPs responsible, they let go over 30 people. Things didnt improve so in May 2019 they let go over 30 people again. Those who were let go (for the most part) weren't the problem with the down turn. If you have a poor sports team, you fire the manager, not the players!

There is a toxic work environment where people are afraid to express their opinions. Preferential treatment is given to those who pander to VPs, who are not necessarily working the hardest or producing results.

Working overtime is required but not necessarily appreciated. Years of service should be respected but are not.

More feedback needs to be elicited from those who do the actual work, not the directors/VPs. Until a few key leaders are removed from this org, I would not recommend.
Pros
good vacation benefits, moderate pay and benefits, casual work environment (casual dress, ability to work from home), free parking, close to 401, restaurants nearby
Cons
CEO and certain VPs, no stability, lack of trust, inability to advance, no budget for education/courses, promoting/hiring staff with little experience
great staff, amazing energy. overall amazing place of work
My experience working with World Vision was one of its own. amazing place of work, amazing people to work with. very diverse environment.
If the opportunity presents itself to work with world vision again, I wouldnt think twice to say yes.
experience, prestige and low salary
I worked in this great non-profit organization with wonderful people where you have opportunities to grow and are treated with respect receiving decent benefits
Pros
excellent quality of work life
Cons
micromanagement
Great quality Faith-based organization for the betterment of children
At World Vision I worked in the call-centre. Calls could be varied, questions, more or less donations on a regular basis. Sometimes some research about areas of the world, or communities we serve that donors would wish to support. I was a phone specialist, the last 2 years. It was a great place to work, and the ultimate goal was aiding families and children in developing countries. Chapel service was held weekly on Wednesdays. Many great speakers brought in for that. I learned well to assist donors with their needs. I learned not to take an angry caller personally, they just needed a little more care and time.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the co-workers. Everyone was caring, and compassionate as it was required. The hardest part was not using a script while speaking with a caller.

I had a remote office in my home and went to the call centre a few times per month over the last 3 years.
Pros
Great team work with coworkers
Cons
never 1 steady shift, a different one every day
Great and well accomplished people
Very seasoned workforce committed to the cause - helping vulnerable children around the world
Flexible work style but at manager's discretion

Fair compensation package that includes extra days off during summer long weekends.

Poor management without clear direction and strategic focus. This creates schism across the organization.
Confused Leadership
Innovation is not at the heart of the decisions made by management. Almost seems to be a fear of trying out new things and as such lots of the creative employees end up developing a civil service mentality.
Amazing First Internship
This place is certainly a place to grow your skills and develop yourself. At first, I thought that I would't have much to offer due to my lack of technical skills. I'm glad to say that I was wrong about that. The management at World Vision really cares for your welfare and ensures that you are constantly growing.
Pros
Free coffee, orange days (days off), weekly devotions
Happy days
Great culture - people are very happy and friendly, high turnover rate - hire and fire quickly, very cliquey management and not very open to
insider growth
Ask a question about working or interviewing at World Vision Canada. Our community is ready to answer.