World Vision Canada Employee Reviews

Happy days
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 August 2018
Great culture - people are very happy and friendly, high turnover rate - hire and fire quickly, very cliquey management and not very open to
insider growth
Confused Leadership
Customer Segments Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 December 2018
Innovation is not at the heart of the decisions made by management. Almost seems to be a fear of trying out new things and as such lots of the creative employees end up developing a civil service mentality.
Fulfilling but ultimately frustrating
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 July 2018
There is a lot to admire about World Vision culture. It's fulfilling to know that what you are doing is helping people the world over.

But the major challenge is a management structure that is very far removed from the practical realities of the day-to-day work being done. This leads to many unrealistic expectations on agents and stressful situations that could be easily avoidable.
Amazing First Internship
Technology Research and Development Co-op (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 October 2018
This place is certainly a place to grow your skills and develop yourself. At first, I thought that I would't have much to offer due to my lack of technical skills. I'm glad to say that I was wrong about that. The management at World Vision really cares for your welfare and ensures that you are constantly growing.
Pros
Free coffee, orange days (days off), weekly devotions
An amazing cause keeps people at this company
Marketing (Former Employee) –  mississauga, ON7 June 2018
I was excited to be working for a Christian company who impacted the lives of so many in need children and families around the world.

I found it frustrating the inability to move into the current needs of marketing with an outdated infrastructure .

There was a large multi-tiered management structure with very little emphasis put on the people actually doing the work.

However being able to see first hand how your work is literally changing the lives and futures of children around the world makes you work harder.
Pros
the people, ability to be openly christian, dedication to family, the impact of your work
Cons
Management, terrible infrastructure.
Great environment to work in
Donator Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 August 2018
Working on the street and recruiting people to donate to the program you're campaigning for is daunting but rewarding. Met so many wonderful people on the job site and in the office.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Director, Creative, Campaigns & Media (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 March 2018
I think World Vision was the best place I have ever worked. I loved the people, I loved the culture. Senior management really cares about their employees. I also loved the work. It was challenging and inspiring.
Pros
I developed my best friends there
Cons
The coffee isnt great :)
A "Christian" company ??
Campaign Coordinator, Starting Strong Campaign (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 April 2018
There were many great people I was fortunate to work with. And there were managers who could quote the Bible and then turn and berate and minimize you as a person. They check off all the boxes on paper but there is too much of a tolerance for bullying managers who seem to keep their jobs forever while pushing out loyal and devoted employees. There was a huge amount of people on stress leave for being bullied by management. This place turned me off religion.
Christian culture that can be complicated
Manger Creative (Former Employee) –  WVC12 March 2018
Lots of change and management that needs to stick to one direction. Way to many major shifts indirection over the last 10 years. Strategy is lacking and often not well thought through.
Was once great, now struggling to stay relevant
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 March 2018
Pros:
- some truly engaged, informed, passionate staff
- size of NGO means they have the capacity to get things done
- salaries are above-average for non-profit

Cons:
- newer CEO understands the international development landscape but lacks the human touch
- some very odd choices for newer senior leadership and VPs, one in particular whose flashy lifestyle choices seem incongruent with helping people suffering from extreme poverty
- near constant restructuring and change as the organization struggles to define itself and maintain relevance
- strong evangelical bent

It will be interesting to see where they land if and when they figure out who they are, and how they want to get there. What they have been doing organizationally over the past 2 years is not working, and the upheavals prove that they at least have some knowledge of this fact. The problem though is that the issues start right at the top and roll downhill, and the attempts to improve have resulted in some unsuccessful staffing decisions at senior levels.

Want to know more about World Vision Canada?

Ask a question
Excellent Work/Life balance and a great team
Administration Assistant Legal (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 October 2014
The Company does special work and I enjoyed those rewards. The christian culture was uplifting to say the least. I worked in the legal department and executive office and both are fantastic places to work with amazing colleagues.

I would highly recommend World Vision to anyone looking for excellent work/life balance with a christian atmosphere.

I worked part time and found full time employment and I will miss World Vision.
Pros
Summer Fridays
Cons
Pay scale equal to a Non-For-Profit average
Great employees, good atmosphere, great benefits
Team Lead Development Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, Ontario7 January 2014
Responsibilities as Team Lead Development Adviser (DA):
- Provide leadership, mentoring and management to support strategic direction of the team
- Build portfolio strategies for my own donor base (150 donors) - planning for strategic moves forward based on previous giving history and added research
- Stratify donors using the 80/20 rule to focus strategies on appropriate donors
- Optimize performance objectives and results, supporting the organizational values
- Sets high standards and monitors compliance
- Ensures personal verbal and written communications are clear and convincing
- Acknowledges personal and team strengths and weaknesses and puts appropriate support or systems in place to ensure overall effectiveness
- Inspires open, trusting and cooperative networks of relationships at all levels of the organization

Responsibilities as DA:
- Manage 450 donors at a giving level of $5k to $10k and upwards to $32k through identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding
- Excellent relational marketing skills to promote the best possible fundraising results
- Increased donor base by 65 donors through prospecting and qualifying
- Achieved stretch goals by using MBO’s quarterly (management by objectives)
- Consistently reach and exceed budget goal of 1.7 M
- Secured 5 year gift of $250k from a donor who formally sponsored two children
Pros
Great benefits, good life balance
Cons
challenging to fund raise in current environment
A Wonderful Experience
Customer Service Representative/ Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 December 2013
I am currently employed with World Vision. It is an amazing job as it allows you make a difference in the lives of those who are less fortunate. As a customer representative and fundraiser, the job entails me to engage in face to face conversations as I advocate for the child sponsorship program. It is a rewarding job which never fails to put a smile on my face - especially knowing that I can be the voice for children who cannot speak up for themselves.
It WAS a good organization
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 February 2017
Was a friendly and appreciative work place until the past 6 months. There are a lot of changes and management (at least the department I am working for) does not care and appreciate how much effort some individuals put in. All they care about is how good you are at buttering them up and whether they consider you as "friends".

People who are advancing in the department now are the ones that are either always socializing with the managers or the ones that are somehow connected with someone within the organization/ department. It is very apparent that even if they are not qualified or below average performance are advancing in the company just because of their connections before entering the organization or the connections they built after they started working in the organization.

Managers/ co-ordinators would cover up or look for excuses for their favourites when they mess up/ do not perform their duties.

They expect you to follow God's teachings but they don't act Christians.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Schedules; favouritism; not appreciative
A place you learn to be passionate, strong and caring
Fundraiser/Team Captain (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB16 February 2015
WorldVision offers a great deal of opportunities for members of staff to be highly motivated, caring and of course overcome shyness. fundraisers have the opportunity to meet with new faces on a daily basis and talk to them about the mission of the organization and most importantly make them see reasons why they should support the cause to fight poverty by sponsoring a child.
Pros
Self Motivation training
Contract Worker's Review
GIS Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 November 2013
Co-workers are extremely courteous and great to get to know. Company culture is not based around money as an NGO should be, and is focused around people. Full time employment is not as common and not many funds are allocated to personnel, so employees are not in their positions for the salary, but rather for the love of the job and the love of others.
Review
Lead (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 January 2018
Great place to work. There's a lot of change and you need to be flexible. You learn a lot like it's almost a University. Thanks to all the support and help.
Technical Support Analyst / System Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 March 2017
Working for a great cause with a passion for serving the poor in various countries and development initiatives all over the world. Excellent career opportunities.
I work in Desk and admin roles
Fundraiser and Desk Staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 July 2012
I am happy about this job and I am sure that i will be able to go ahead in my career graph.

I am interested in serving the helpless masses and needy public.
It's a really good experience to work with World Vision
Youth Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta7 July 2014
I don't earn money by working here but then I earn lots of good skills like time management and other leadership skills that will help me in the long run.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at World Vision Canada. Our community is ready to answer.