World Vision Canada Employee Reviews

An amazing cause keeps people at this company
Marketing (Former Employee) –  mississauga, ON7 June 2018
I was excited to be working for a Christian company who impacted the lives of so many in need children and families around the world.

I found it frustrating the inability to move into the current needs of marketing with an outdated infrastructure .

There was a large multi-tiered management structure with very little emphasis put on the people actually doing the work.

However being able to see first hand how your work is literally changing the lives and futures of children around the world makes you work harder.
Pros
the people, ability to be openly christian, dedication to family, the impact of your work
Cons
Management, terrible infrastructure.
A "Christian" company ??
Campaign Coordinator, Starting Strong Campaign (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 April 2018
There were many great people I was fortunate to work with. And there were managers who could quote the Bible and then turn and berate and minimize you as a person. They check off all the boxes on paper but there is too much of a tolerance for bullying managers who seem to keep their jobs forever while pushing out loyal and devoted employees. There was a huge amount of people on stress leave for being bullied by management. This place turned me off religion.
Was once great, now struggling to stay relevant
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 March 2018
Pros:
- some truly engaged, informed, passionate staff
- size of NGO means they have the capacity to get things done
- salaries are above-average for non-profit

Cons:
- newer CEO understands the international development landscape but lacks the human touch
- some very odd choices for newer senior leadership and VPs, one in particular whose flashy lifestyle choices seem incongruent with helping people suffering from extreme poverty
- near constant restructuring and change as the organization struggles to define itself and maintain relevance
- strong evangelical bent

It will be interesting to see where they land if and when they figure out who they are, and how they want to get there. What they have been doing organizationally over the past 2 years is not working, and the upheavals prove that they at least have some knowledge of this fact. The problem though is that the issues start right at the top and roll downhill, and the attempts to improve have resulted in some unsuccessful staffing decisions at senior levels.
Christian culture that can be complicated
Manger Creative (Former Employee) –  WVC12 March 2018
Lots of change and management that needs to stick to one direction. Way to many major shifts indirection over the last 10 years. Strategy is lacking and often not well thought through.
Review
Lead (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 January 2018
Great place to work. There's a lot of change and you need to be flexible. You learn a lot like it's almost a University. Thanks to all the support and help.
Horrible place to work. Unless yogmpike being a liar
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 October 2017
This is the worst place to work! You lie to people saying their donating to a good cause but World Vision is a hunch of frauds! The money doesn't go wheee you say it does. Also standings downtowb all day or going door to door is very stressful and bpring
Pros
ypu get to hang outside during the summer
Cons
habibg to stand outside in the winter or go door to door. And it's not for a good cause
Flexible, easy but boring
Canvassing Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 June 2017
It was just so boring. However, it was very easy. And it was not stressful. If you follow the script, you will be fine. Monitors are nice but the workplace is strict and thus it is very boring.
Pros
Flexible, easy
Cons
Boring, low-wage
Great cause
Director of Supporter Care (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 May 2017
Many great things about World Vision especially the lovely staff. The leadership team struggles to make relevant changes as the marketplace is changes.
Pros
Chapels weekly
Cons
They restructure yearly causing much confusion with little benefit
Relaxed and positive enviroment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 April 2017
I volunteered there as an office assistant and during my time there the staff were very welcoming and involving of me. I learned a lot about the company and they made me feel very involved and important
Technical Support Analyst / System Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 March 2017
Working for a great cause with a passion for serving the poor in various countries and development initiatives all over the world. Excellent career opportunities.
It WAS a good organization
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 February 2017
Was a friendly and appreciative work place until the past 6 months. There are a lot of changes and management (at least the department I am working for) does not care and appreciate how much effort some individuals put in. All they care about is how good you are at buttering them up and whether they consider you as "friends".

People who are advancing in the department now are the ones that are either always socializing with the managers or the ones that are somehow connected with someone within the organization/ department. It is very apparent that even if they are not qualified or below average performance are advancing in the company just because of their connections before entering the organization or the connections they built after they started working in the organization.

Managers/ co-ordinators would cover up or look for excuses for their favourites when they mess up/ do not perform their duties.

They expect you to follow God's teachings but they don't act Christians.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Schedules; favouritism; not appreciative
Door 2 Door Sales Representive
Door to Door Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON28 October 2016
Start off of day Call Current Clients.

Over View Leads Sheet and Prepare for first Contract

Communicate with Client Needs and Assume Sale!

Client Closes and Report to Manager with Payment!

Repete
Productive and fun Workspace
Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2016
Winter door to door campaign would not work out. Friendly staff as well as a great organization for a good cause. I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Friendly Co-Workers
Cons
Outdoor
A great community of passionate individuals
Office Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 May 2016
World Vision Canada was a great place to work. The environment, sense of community and the passionate concern for children were the main reasons why I was there for so long. The weekly staff gatherings made everyone feel like they were a part of something greater. We were a part of making a difference for the children and communities we served. It was a true blessing indeed.
Fun to work at
have free coffee
flexible working hours
fun to work at
no stress
caring about you on a personal level
Pros
very freindly
It has visions and clear objectives that makes employees easily to understand their role
Church Engagement Administrative Support Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 April 2016
A typical day I started with receiving a clear instruction, objective, and deadline for the task given or to continue the unfinished tasks.

What I learned is how essential an objective is since it pulls all the reasons for the instructions. When an employee understands his/her instruction, the communication between issues become very effective. It helps personal growth in both the employee and the employer when the employee becomes the "ground troop who has recon mission".

My co-workers and supervisors are very flexible and understanding to each other. We are allowed to work at home, no matter because of health or other reasons. Our work is valued because of the work done and there is no bias, positively or negatively, by our physical presence. It has the best balances between trust and control.

The hardest part of the job is reading first hand how the world's hunger, warfare, and disasters had plagued the weakest youngest ones. Keep having the feeling that I can only do so much and "only if I have the money" and looking at the children's picture and knowing that they are denied the basic needs can be soul-eating.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when every time there is a church joined their congregation to support a village. Later, you see the progress and the statistics of their improvement; when you received the village thank-you messages; your sponsor child had become a self-sustaining contributing adult. Those are priceless.
Pros
sincere concerns of employees' physical heath and spiritual well being
Cons
too many hands to complete a task sometimes lack cohesiveness
Phone Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 February 2016
I thoroughly enjoy my employment at World Vision Canada. I have been working in the supporter care department since 2008 and although faces change, the culture within the department has stayed the same. The leadership treats you more than just an employee and invest time, effort and care to bring out their team.
Productive work environment and a fun team
Paid fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON30 January 2016
Working for this establishment was full of positive energy and great people. Best job i've ever had because i constantly got to pay it forward. didn't even feel like a job
Pros
work incentives
Cons
short breaks
Productive and engaging work dedicated to serving others.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 September 2015
Worked alone, and/or with other colleagues, to complete tasks regarding the accounts of current donors/sponsors. Made outbound calls to supporters in order to update their account information, and/or to give them new/more information about their sponsorship. Although statistics were kept and reviewed, an emphasis was put on the quality of the work being done and the calls being made, allowing for a more personal approach to work.
An amazing place to work, the environment is wonderful.
Administrative Assistant, President's Office (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 September 2015
My biggest regret is leaving World Vision. I left thinking I was advancing myself but instead I lost the best job possible with amazing people. This job was extremely busy and demanding with no room for error. I was responsible for the President's travel arrangements who travelled extensively Internationally. Reporting to the Director of the President's Office was challenging and kept me busy. Dicta-typing for the President, all expenses for the President's office and assistant to the Governance office. All event planning for the President's office for 550+ attendees. I learned that people are what matter! I'm not sure there was a hard part other than seeing and listening to how some children suffer and how just by donating you really can save a life. The most enjoyable part was being a part of their Mission and attending weekly Chapel.
Pros
Working for the President
Cons
Leaving!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at World Vision Canada. Our community is ready to answer.