World Gym Employee Reviews

Ownership/management
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON31 May 2019
I worked there for years at the front desk. I loved my job and management for the first few years until ownership and management changed. Everything went downhill when the owner made his inexperienced son manager. I started getting harassed about my daily duties, getting blamed for their mistakes and hearing terrible things they would say about me to my co workers. Believe me, I would have loved to stay because of my great co workers and the members but the mental abuse was to much. You know somethings wrong when 8 employees quit on the same day.
Pros
Free membership
A variety of interactions
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC11 May 2019
- Welcome and greet everyone who walks in and out.
- Introduce the company to new customers
- Achieve daily goals and quotas of the organization, such as: closing contracts, inform customers about their dues, provide them personal trainers
- Help clients find their needs
- Customer satisfaction consistency
- I learned how to deal with stressful situations, such as injuries and angry customers due their debts to the gym.
- The part of the job I struggled the most was the time where management was really bad.
Everything had to be dealt through employees, and since I was the one who knew the most, everyone asked me questions and needed my help.
I loved helping my coworkers, even if it was very stressful teaching them and dealing with angry clients at the same time. I managed to satisfy both parties.
- The best part of the job is that I got to meet and build professional relationship with people of all ages, every day. When people walk in to sign up or want information, I take the opportunity to get to know the individual who's in front of me, and that helps me provide them their necessity.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
It's a one person shift, it gets lonely
Not client oriented
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON11 April 2019
I was a PT there, over a year period they lowered the wages 4x by changing how the payouts went, trying to convince us it was a good thing. management had a cult of personality , if you were not coddling him, you were on the outside and shunned always on the edge of being fired. Lacking in morals and ethics when it came to the patrons needs. Once initial equipment was worn our or broken, it was never replaced, slam balls that broke in the first month were on the floor waiting to be replaced for 2+ years and counting. if you are just starting out as a PT and want to learn, i would suggest not starting there. if you are experienced I don't really have to say much as you will figure it out quickly. For those PTs or staff that truly care, you will not be rewarded nor recognized and more often then not, passed over for someone who only sees clients as dollar signs. The one I worked at is under new management/ownership.. so take whats said with a grain of salt.
Pros
set your hours, free to use
Cons
lacking morals and ethics.
fun
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 March 2019
wash hands
safety glass
be happy
help people
clean up
tool

because you have to be safety and clean up all your tools and wash your hands too
Productive, Smiling and Positive
Préposée au service à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Rosemère, QC21 January 2019
Overall, I really enjoy working at World Gym. I like interacting with clients so for me, working at a gym is a perfect balance. I can workout in an environment I enjoy, and I can also do a job that I love.
Best job I've ever had
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2018
The atmosphere of the gym is unlike anywhere else. The relationships you get to build with the members and other staff is by far my favourite part of the job. Being that the Southland location is the only location in Calgary right now, there's lots of room for growth within the company and even with the rapid growth, management always makes time to make sure their employees are well taken care of. I look forward to work every day and I've never been able to say that about another job.
Pros
Great atmosphere, supportive management, schedule flexibility, free membership
Cons
Minimum wage
Awsome atmosphere, manager is really friendly. Crew room os always on point
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC20 November 2018
The facility is amazing, machines always work well and are maintained weekly. There is enough space for everyone to work out individually using whatever they want. I personally enjoy my experience here and believe there is more to come.
Pros
Free access to entire facility and membership to workout anytime
Teamwork is essential
Membre de service à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC15 October 2018
In a place like World gym, teamwork is essential !
I like being around my dynamic colleagues. We help each other even though we have experience some difficulties.

I think managing could be improved, but I know the Wolrd Gym team make efforts to overcome those challenges.

The salary for the MSR team could be higher up.
Terrible place to work
Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 August 2018
If I could give this place 0 stars I would. I was an employee for many years and they did nothing but make me feel unappreciated. I loved my clients and members but the management was terrible. I would never suggest anyone to work here. The work you do will never be appreciated no matter how many hours you put in, and the pay is terrible. The managers will always talk down to you and they also hire uneducated trainers and give them ridiculous expectations and if you don’t meet them then they pretend you don’t exist. Whenever you wanted to take some time off for personal reasons, they were mad about it. You could hardly have a social life working here.
Pros
Cons
Terrible management, pay and hours
Good Place to Work
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 June 2018
Fun environment to work in with good people who genuinely care about the business and the staff. Money isnt the best but its one of the best gyms you can work for.
members were great
Personal Trainer/ fitness instructor (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON4 June 2018
Was an open door policy members didnt feel pressure to buy training and prices were affordable. Management at the time was bad for the company but the environment was a positive one.
Was ok
PT (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON31 May 2018
When I was working there the old Management was really bad and I left. I would go to work, work with my clients do some call updates with customers then go home. Didn't learn anything new really. The other stuff I worked with other then the manager was really good. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping and working with my clients. I would of Love to stay if the old manager was not there.
Unloyal/unprofessional management
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2018
While I loved the customers that came in everyday to the gym, management was unloyal to longtime employees giving little hours and unfair treatment. Management hires friends and only friends will advance in the company. Only pay minimum wage but expect more of their staff than a minimum wage staff should be expected.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Management, wage, hours
Good People Pays Poorly
Midnight Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto Zoo, ON13 March 2018
Lots of cleaning responsibilities since there is no cleaning service to come in through the night, very little room for growth. However the atmosphere is great and you meet a lot of wonderful people each day.. good temporary job but hard to stay long term.
Pros
Free membership, Meet new people
Cons
Underpaid, Low Wage
Ungrateful management - Do NOT work at World Gym
Employee (Former Employee) –  Rosemère, QC8 February 2018
Not worth the unprofessionalism of the management and owners. Management makes a lot of decisions based on emotion, and not policy. Very unprofessional management.

I do not recommend working here.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
ungrateful mangement
Expérience de travail enrichissante
Éducatrice en service de garde (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC25 January 2018
Le point fort de cette compagnie est la diversité des taches que l'on peux entreprendre.
Great Management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  LaSalle, ON24 November 2017
Amazing management, friendly environment
Fair hours and pay
Professionally organized
Very accommodating
Safe and comfortable atmosphere
Overall Great place to work
Horrible Place to Work
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 August 2017
Zero accountability and no management. The staff there work very hard to maintain the gym, while managers at the building (through no fault of their own) are left powerless and unable to help better the situation. The owner is a dirty businessman as well. Very, very shady behind the scenes.
Decent
Manager (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON14 August 2017
Operations manager of the Gym.
Provide reviews for staff.
ensure daily duty are completed
try to approve renovations
talk with people about health and fitness
Great as a part time hobby, not recommended as a career
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON14 June 2017
Great facility, and awesome staff. Being a member of the staff there as a personal trainer was less than accommodating. The work for reward ration was not worth it. I had great educational training and learned how to further my own fitness journey; however, I was given little to no education or support with client management.
Pros
high wage, great opportunity to meet and work with people
Cons
long unpaid hours, little staff support, unorganized management