WorkSafeBC

WorkSafeBC Employee Reviews

Canada44 reviews
Manager
WCB is a very comfortable if a little boring place to work. I was in Finance. The people are quite helpful - no politics etc. That said it could be veeeeryy sloooow in getting things done...and the spreadsheets...oh GOD so many spreadsheets!
The experience will vary depending on the department and if a full hire or a contractor
I think if you can get in permanently...will be fantastic. For contractors though...can be hit or miss depending on the department. I was lost in their shuffle and felt like I was a bit of a pawn in a political game.
productive and fun
a lot of team activities for team building events
very care about their employees

excellent work life balance benefits

nice people to work with

can be very stressful when gets busy
Had high hopes
I had high hopes about this job (Case Manager), however found that the work/life balance that they promote hardly exists at all. Constant stress and pressure, constantly changing managers, way too short staffed and caseloads that are unmanageably high. If you want to work here, it has good benefits and some of the people are great. I know a lot of people care about the workers and want to help but resources are limited and you deal with a lot of angry clients sometimes.
Great employer and we do satisfying, important work
WorkSafeBC is a great place to work if you have a college/university education, if not, you will not have the same opportunity for advancement (if that is something important to you, do consider that carefully).
Fun Place to Work
It was a great co-op experience! The people were very personable and easy to get along with. They made me feel at home and comfortable. I would definitely work there again.
Millenial Review - from Private to Public
I've been with the board now for 8 months and it has been a big shift moving from private to public sector, in a good way.

Being one of the younger employees on my team, I've never felt more welcomed by the HR staff and various divisional teams. People here truly care about what they do because it's linked to a powerful overall organizational purpose, which is making workplaces safer across BC. As a millennial working for an organization that makes an impact everyday, my job feels very fulfilling. I feel like my opinions, thoughts, and suggestions actually matter, like I'm am important part of the team everyday, which makes me more driven by what I do, rather than by a what I make (pay and total compensation package is best I've ever received).

Is this organization perfect? No. Do things take time here? Yes. But what I see here is that they're making the right strides to change and adapt to stay current, reduce redundancies, incorporating technologies for a more streamlined process and it's all headed by strong leadership, especially by their new CEO to make diversity and inclusion a high priority.

I found the hardest part of working here is just at the start, learning their processes which can take a few months or longer like with most jobs. But at the end of the day, I get to come into work and know that what I'm doing helps makes workplaces safer and I don't need to kill myself over 50-60+ hour weeks anymore. Work-life balance isn't just a word here, it's highly encouraged, seriously! I'm happy where I am, and am excited to learn and develop with this organization!
Its ok
My first go around years ago, WSBC was a fantastic place to work. Going back, it has completely changed. The management has turned over, culture is not the same and this is the feeling speaking to others as well. There are many areas of improvement to bring it back to where it used to be. If you are in the union, job security is fantastic and so are the benefits. That is about it.
Pros
vacaton, benefits
Cons
culture, pay, no growth opportunity, boring, no recognition.
Secure and good benefits
Overall, it's a pretty good place to work and offers good security and benefits. The on-site gym (Richmond location only) provides a good selection of fitness classes throughout the day to get your mind off work for a while. Colleagues are very friendly and there are numerous events and gatherings throughout the year.
Pros
On-site gym with fitness classes, job security, good benefits, friendly
Cons
Lack of innovation, lack of collaboration between departments
Management culture leaves a lot to be desired
No room for advancement and management only worries about numbers not quality of service.
Solving problems is not the priority just how quickly you can get on to the next call.

No training process for new employees.
Campus feel and relaxed culture
Need to be a bit more focused on what they want from their contractors though. Not enough communication. But otherwise amazing people. Very friendly and supportive.
DEFINITELY not recommended
Politics here are rampant throughout the company. You would think that they would be focused on serving their clients, but no.

It's really difficult to affect change here, to the detriment of company culture. Every decision seems to be fraught with the need to include others in the conversation, whether useful or not (the latter is typical). I came in, hoping to be able to contribute but essentially, there are too many cooks in the kitchen. So many processes are incredibly outdated and over-wrought, which also contributes to slow change. It's insane. Don't believe the internal PR and hype!

Our group's people management is incompetent, condescending and negative: doesn't actually listen to feedback and is more concerned with treating intelligent adults like children. Furthermore, these techniques are supported by HR!!!!!!! Where is the accountability to ensure that managers are competent and well-versed in MODERN management techniques that keep people engaged and motivated? I don't see any evidence of it here.

I have met some really amazing, fun, competent and intelligent people here, but more recently I have seen 6 HIGH-PERFORMERS leave the company in less than 6 months, which is relatively high (12%)... but then it's pretty average for IT and tech. They are definitely going to lose more. You would think this would be significant to our management, but they think they're doing an awesome job and don't see the writing on the wall.

I have come to realize that I am not being empowered to get the job done due to factors outside of my control. My initial enthusiasm
 - more...
Pros
Unionized, pension, nice colleagues, extended health insurance, on-site cafeteria and cafe.
Cons
Unionized, high workload with little support (I guess because budget is limited), old outdated building, low employee morale on select teams, low-skilled managers on select teams with no consistent training or accountability.
Great People, Agiel / DevOps / Cloud Technologies
Great place to work, great people, respectful environment. Great benefits.
Upside; Agile, DevOps, Cloud technologies

Downside:

unionized, too much office politics.
A great company to have a career in.
Everyone at WorkSafeBC is focused on how their work impacts the people of BC. Injured workers and employers rely on our information and support.

All staff are aware of the contribution of other departments and divisions and help wherever possible to get the job done. We are proud of our hard work and accomplishments and have a culture of helping others inside and out.

The hardest part of the job was hearing about work place accidents. Negative feedback about us and our work.

The most enjoyable part was seeing how our work helped an injured worker get back to work, and companies that have had a great drop in workplace accidents. No one goes to work expecting to be injured, and we try to help stop it.
Lovely bunch of people to work with, I was there for 18 months as a contractor. They are going through an IT transformation project at the moment so there are lot's of interesting projects on the go.
Pros
Freindly people, interesting projects
Cons
Driving to Richmond can be a pain.
Productive and very friendly work environment
Great work life balance combined with good benefits and very competitive salaries. It is a very friendly environment and the culture is relaxed. Very great company to work for. Would strongly recommend it.
Very good work life balance
Good benefits, good culture, good management, limited promotion area. It is a very good company for someone who is seeking a stable and well respected work. But for young or fresh out of college, it may be too slow and old fashion sometimes.
Great place to learn
Very fun culture. They care about your work/life balance and creating a fun environment. Hours are flexible and management is very supportive.

Would reccomend
Pros
Flexible hours
One of the best companies to work for in BC
In the field of Occupational Health and Safety WorkSafeBC is a leader in the province as well as the country, with its forward looking approach to worksite health and safety issues and concerns.
Pros
Freedom to develop your skills
Cons
Good company to work with
Good management, colleagues and culture. I enjoyed working with this company even if I worked there for only a year as a contractor.

I recommend this company.
Pros
Job security for permanent employees
Cons
Not good for contractors
Room for Advancement
I was given an opportunity to successfully train my department and create Operational Procedures for a new project within the company. I enjoyed the difficult learning curves and learning how to handle multi-projects and tasks under pressure.