WorkSafeBC

WorkSafeBC Employee Reviews

Canada58 reviews

Insights into WorkSafeBC

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Good company

Worksafe is one of the best places to work in. People are great. Culture is excellent. I can't recommend this company enough. I would work here for life.

Slow and bureaucratic

-Some interesting work-great work life balance-People are nice overall but like keeping things status quo-onsite gym and cafeteria-lots of opportunity for training

Pros

Onsite gym and cafeteria. Great WLB

Cons

Growth resistant

Great benefits and people. Stressful job.

The company has great benefits and I worked with great people. The pay is good eventually with the pay increases but you're underpaid initially. The job is stressful and demanding but if you are organized and stay on top of your work then its not bad.

Competitive, fast paced, continuing education/ professional growth.

My time at Worksafebc was challenging, stressful, extremely well compensated and with top notch benefits. The organization attracts very talented people and everyone works hard. The organization is well recognized and reputed. Opportunities for learning, workshops are offered. Its hard work but you will learn a lot. Progressive.

Pros

Learning opportunities, well compensated, supportive colleagues

Cons

High caseloads, stressful, difficult and angry clients.

Geared for the Incompetent. HR practices are designed to Recruit the ones they shouldnt

Worksafe BC HR is completely incompetent and select those people that should not be there. Any Enpod instructors most common question to new officers is "How did you make it this far?" They hire all the people in safety that have no business in safety. The people that they should hire with the education and experience they turn away in favor of mediocre talent at best. Good job HR. They now have an influx of people that are absolutely clueless and incompetent. the senior officers rightfully so encourage the people they should hire to apply but HR puts forward all the wrong candidates. I certainly feel for the senior officers trying to do the right thing. If I fall and bump my head I will reapply

Pros

Pension

Cons

Grossly Incompetent Hires Put Forward From HR. Ideal Candidates are Shunned

I have worked for WorkSafeBC for 15 years and have never had an employer so committed to the success of its employees.

This organization is very invested in its employees. There is a very supportive management structure to help me perform my best at my job. There is a leadership development program and lots of opportunities for advancement.

Pros

Lots of in house education Very supportive management Excellent sense of camaraderie

Cons

Workload can be heavy at times

Good place, bit stressful

Great place to work with nice people. Work life balance can suffer at times and depending on where you live your salary may feel a bit low for living expenses.

You can live in a corner and stay unnoticed until your retirement. Or, you can motivate youself to excel and make a difference.

Great work life balance. Probably the most employee friendly organization in BC. However, this depends on the department you are in. I&T and Marketing are very progressive with a very safe culture. WSBC pays their full time employees a less than competitive salary for the expensive life in BC. Otherwise, they have all the benefits you can imagine and a top notch pension plan.Your growth and appraisals as an individuals are not linked to performance. Annual hikes are applied uniformly. Thus, a mediocre performer's heaven. The only way you grow is through applying for internal positions and having the unmentioned blessing of your manager. For staff, it is a unionized environment. Unlimited job safety for staff (not managers) at the cost of getting a less than average and forever stagnant pay.Interview process requires candidates to answer textbook answers in order to pass (talent and skill is of little value in the process).Majority of the organization now works from home and is unlikely to go back full time in the massive office building in Richmond.Overall, a great place to learn, or settle down for retirement.

Pros

Work life balance (department specific), Job security (unmatched .. it's a crown corporation with a staff union), Pension plan, Health and life insurance

Cons

No recognition for performers, Very poor salary structure, No career growth opportunities, Rigid interview process

Great work availability

I learned a lot of new activities and met a lot of people in a positive work environment where everyone cared. There is a great team environment Lots of room to advance.

OK place to work if you like routine

Met some great people, actually found the job somewhat boring , long days as often not enough to do... This was only a temp position though so really didn't expect too much

This employer operates like a cult.

I have never felt more dehumanized and belittled as I have working here. There is a herd mentally here that manipulates and degrades employees until they conform.....I left because I was sick from stress. The only prudent comparison I can make is its run like a cult. So happy to be done with the subhuman people i was surrounded by.

Pros

Cons

Surmounting stress at every turn.

Painfully Micromanaged

Great salary and benefits, and great people to work with, but management is a complete failure. No shortage of being monitored. You will be asked to update them frequently on your status, or whether you are actually working or not. If working in a call queue, your stats are reported to the nearest second, and you cannot be late, or come back from lunch even 2 minutes after the schedule. You will be messaged by your manager if you are. If you don’t mind being treated like a prisoner for good money and good benefits, you will enjoy this company a lot. Be prepared for ZERO employee appreciation.

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Pension

Cons

Zero flexibility, Micromanaging, Bad Management

Lots of opportunities for learning and advancement.

Working for WSBC is mentally exhausting. Depending on the department you work in clients can be extremely abusive and volatile which makes working for WSBC very stressful. The Benefits are exceptional. The work environment can be toxic depending on the department. The opportunity to learn and advance is abundant. There is job security. The union is exceptional. Depending on your job and department working here can be very rewarding. The multicultural and inclusive atmosphere makes for a great place to work. WSBC is an equal opportunity employer.

Pros

Benefits, wages, working hours, job security, opportunity to advance and learn.

Cons

Toxic, stressful, abusive, protection for lazy employees

Excellent employer

I was at WorkSafeBC for almost 15 years. I found moving the organization's mission forward to be very rewarding. Working along with employers and unions to prevent preventable injuries at work and helping injured workers to regain their health and get back to work is wonderful work. My colleagues were all very intelligent and very positively motivated to do the right thing. Managers were very supportive. It was a very stimulating environment. There were a great many opportunities for advancement.

Pros

really good cafeteria at the Richmond head office, Great salaries, Lots of advancement opportunities, Working at a job where the objective is to save lives, prevent workplace injuries and help injured workers to return to health and productivity

Cons

Can be stressful at times.

Manager

WCB is a very comfortable if a little boring place to work. I was in Finance. The people are quite helpful - no politics etc. That said it could be veeeeryy sloooow in getting things done...and the spreadsheets...oh GOD so many spreadsheets!

The experience will vary depending on the department and if a full hire or a contractor

I think if you can get in permanently...will be fantastic. For contractors though...can be hit or miss depending on the department. I was lost in their shuffle and felt like I was a bit of a pawn in a political game.

productive and fun

a lot of team activities for team building events very care about their employees excellent work life balance benefits nice people to work with can be very stressful when gets busy

Had high hopes

I had high hopes about this job (Case Manager), however found that the work/life balance that they promote hardly exists at all. Constant stress and pressure, constantly changing managers, way too short staffed and caseloads that are unmanageably high. If you want to work here, it has good benefits and some of the people are great. I know a lot of people care about the workers and want to help but resources are limited and you deal with a lot of angry clients sometimes.

Great employer and we do satisfying, important work

WorkSafeBC is a great place to work if you have a college/university education, if not, you will not have the same opportunity for advancement (if that is something important to you, do consider that carefully).

Fun Place to Work

It was a great co-op experience! The people were very personable and easy to get along with. They made me feel at home and comfortable. I would definitely work there again.

Millenial Review - from Private to Public

I've been with the board now for 8 months and it has been a big shift moving from private to public sector, in a good way. Being one of the younger employees on my team, I've never felt more welcomed by the HR staff and various divisional teams. People here truly care about what they do because it's linked to a powerful overall organizational purpose, which is making workplaces safer across BC. As a millennial working for an organization that makes an impact everyday, my job feels very fulfilling. I feel like my opinions, thoughts, and suggestions actually matter, like I'm am important part of the team everyday, which makes me more driven by what I do, rather than by a what I make (pay and total compensation package is best I've ever received). Is this organization perfect? No. Do things take time here? Yes. But what I see here is that they're making the right strides to change and adapt to stay current, reduce redundancies, incorporating technologies for a more streamlined process and it's all headed by strong leadership, especially by their new CEO to make diversity and inclusion a high priority. I found the hardest part of working here is just at the start, learning their processes which can take a few months or longer like with most jobs. But at the end of the day, I get to come into work and know that what I'm doing helps makes workplaces safer and I don't need to kill myself over 50-60+ hour weeks anymore. Work-life balance isn't just a word here, it's highly encouraged, seriously! I'm happy where I am, and am excited to learn and develop with this organization!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WorkSafeBC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement