Workplace Safety and Insurance Board
Happiness score is 63 out of 100

Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Employee Reviews

Canada163 reviews

uniongovernmentsalaryexcellentroleemployerorganizationbalance

Caseloads are large however working amongst team you are able to see progression and build collaborate relationship with clientelle throughout the years

Good pay. Highly stressful

High caseloads made the job nearly impossible. Great pay. Great benefits. Managers were good. Run like a corporation. Expectations are high. Staffing is low.

Insights into Workplace Safety and Insurance Board

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues

stay away very toxic and unhealthy place to work

You have to talk on the phone all day and listen to stories how someone is badly hurt, then you have to deny them compensation. This happens over and over all day long and management doesn't care, because they are heartless.

Pros

wages

Cons

you will go insane

Overall great work experience

Great job, above average compensation and outstanding benefits. Workload is evenly distributed and work is overall rewording. Manager I had was amazing and approachable and really advocated for temp employees

Pros

Easy work

Cons

Very difficult to become a permanent employee.

A fast paced environment.

The salaries are attractive, the caseloads are ridiculously high and management's attitude is "that's why we pay you the big bucks." The benefits have been reducing over the years as the employer's standards change. Your time at your desk is clocked, your work on the computer is monitored as well as your phone calls. I have worked there in different capacities. As an Adjudicator/Case Manager, I managed a caseload. It was an ongoing challenge, a balancing act: non-stop phone calls, reviews and enquiries, action plans, decision memos and letters. Customer service is top priority. In class training was excellent and the job helped me to develop excellent skills that take me through life as well. However, it was my colleagues who got me through the work day. But now, staff morale is diminishing as the environment becomes more stressful and that level of support is no longer there, not from management, nor from colleagues.

Pros

You can work a longer day to accumulate a day off (flexible work plan), It is a unionized environment.

Cons

No free lunches not even at Christmas time, You work longer hours in an effort to manage your caseload.

Productive And Fun Place

Its a place to grow your career with. It is a bit slow as all govt firms are. the work culture was amazing, had the best learning time there and would recommend it

Get a perm job asap

when you start working for the board just focus on getting perm as fast as possible. the job doesn't matter just get perm, as once you're perm you can just bump people out of temp positions for the job you really want. Don't worry about working hard or meeting/exceeding your kpi's since those don't matter.

work with co worker and response injured worker, employer and their rep. communication

communication, help each other, organizing, prioritizing, under starch stay calm. positive. focus on work, deal with unhappy worker or employer make sure to understand their issue and resolve it. at the make them satisfied. loved work with staff, learn from each other

Don’t treat temp/contract staff well

Place seems great for regular employees but contract staff were excluded from group celebrations etc. and treated rudely by managers. They should ensure they are using staffing agencies that pay above minimum wage.

Great place to work. Difficult to move through the company if you dont have an undergrad degree

Salary is competitive. Monday to Friday shifts. No weekends or Stat holidays. Fair vacation booking. Great benefits. Excellent pay structure with great union

Pros

Salary

Cons

Advancement without undergrad degree is usually not possible, Education is more important to the job descriptions than experience

Beware

Beware of WSIB, it isn’t all it seems. Hours are good, workload is heavy, collective agreement does not protect employees very wellFavoritisme is dominant and Human Resources isn’t the least bit helpful

Pros

Decent pay Great benefits Pension

Cons

Office politics Heartless management and directors

Stressful place to work at. Micro-managed. Every moment of your day is monitored. Chained to desk and phone.

It was a good place to work at when I first started but things went downhill fast. Upper management decided to reinvent the wheel and made working there unbearable.

Pros

Ok pay. Good benefits. A pension plan.

Cons

Chained to desk and phone. Every moment of your day is monitored and micromanaged.

Awful

I would never recommend anyone to work here. It was a terrible experience after my initial manager retired. WSIB as a company doesn't know up from down, and things are constantly changed for no reason. This is turn has a negative affect on clients (injured persons)

Prioritized work life balance during pandemic times

Team was excellent and management always helpful in upskilling and ensuring you can do your job efficiently, working in the government systems has a lot of red tape but great benefits under the union. Advancement was not clearly laid out.

Pros

Inclusive team culture, work-life-balance, awesome benefits

Not a good place to work

Poor management, no recognition and no promotion optionsI did issues management so my job varied from day to dayI learned nothingculture is goodHardest part of the job=not applicable

Pros

No pros

Cons

Long Hours and no recognition, poor management

Top Heavy Organization

After 2 years with the board it feels misguided. The management structure seems broken and useless. Examined closely it is a waste of salary space which could be used more effectively to hire workers in departments in need that seems to struggle with high call volumes and work loads. Having a worker, manager, assistant director, then director yet dealing with smaller teams makes no sense. Most workers make their own calls. Unsure why baby sitters need baby sitters for their baby sitters and they all make $100,000.00 plus yet workers get laid off. Live and learn. Money was great, just don’t expect anything more than showing up doing your job with no room to grow at all. The union is also useless and unsure what my union dues actually went towards.

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Work Schedule

Cons

Everything Else

An amazing summer job!

Great place to work! I loved the company and the work culture. Management is always there to help you and is very flexible if you are interested in pursuing something else. You will get to work with a lot of like-minded individuals who have a passion for the work that they do!

Pros

Set hours, great management team

Cons

Slow days sometimes

Toxic workplace

I'm writing this to warn people that this workplace is very toxic. There's a reason why they are always advertising for the role of case manager. They told new hires that they have a high turnover rate. High turnover rate is never a good sign at a company. They need to be transparent and let new hires know that they must pass the 9 month probationary period. You are not formally hired until you pass 9 months of probation. A major component of moving along in the trial period is that you must pass practicum. However, passing practicum is determined by whether your trainer likes you and not necessarily based on your skill level. If your trainer doesn't like you they will fail you. There was a lot of inconsistencies with the training. Which is very frustrating when you are told different information from multiple people. No accommodations are made when you bring these issues up. Yes, the money is great but the work culture is toxic along with management.

Pros

Benefits, pay

Cons

Heavy workload, toxic work environment

A very diverse workplace

I have been at WSIB in the nurse office for the last 22.5 years. The nursing role has evolved over those years into a very interesting and rewarding position.

Pros

Excellent benefits and pension plan

Cons

Workloads can be an issue

30 years and loved it ,retired with nice pension and beneftis pkg.

Many many opportunities to move around and change job. Worked there 30 years and retired with a nice pension and benefit package . Great perks; hours accommodated work life balance

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

Some difficult colleagues lol

Depends on who the manager is

Being a person with a disability, i told my manager the truth.she used my disability against me and fired me without any explaining, just a vague “this role is not for u” after refusing to coach me for the role. This job pays well, but the management is terrible. I was set up for faulier, my last coaching session i asked my manager for help ,she said “youre fine”

Pros

Good pay, good Benefits

Cons

Sketchy managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Workplace Safety and Insurance Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement