Wood Group Employee Reviews

Found 43 reviews matching the search See all 1,003 reviews
Worst Employer Ever
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 January 2019
Loved the people I worked with but could not stand the company. Pay and benefits were good but thats about it. Ineffective, unethical management. Make sure their boys club is taken care of at the expense of the employees. "Employees are our greatest asset" is the talk but not the walk. Hundreds let go but all mangers still there.

Unorganized, frantic, directionless work environment. No work life balance whatsoever. Doesn't matter how hard you work or the job that you do if not one of the chosen or favourites your head is on the chopping block. Everyone I worked with was miserable. Avoid at all costs
Pros
Pay, benefits.
Cons
Long hours, no opportunity for advancement, boys club mentality of management.
Continuing Learning Environment
Project/Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON27 January 2019
Good working environment with goo job/life balance.
Burlington office is a place with exposure to multi-disciplinary projects where young engineers or senior engineers can get involved in small size to medium size transportation and construction projects.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Hard to climb ladder
Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2018
Definitely a great place to work.Open office and a welcoming environment.
A typical day will involve some meetings, checking vendor or supplier documents, reviewing and approving design calcs, phone cals and emails.
I gained significant experiences in oil field production and processing facilities design and operation.
Great interaction and teamwork.
Dealing with vendors who were overseas and then communication was mainly via emails.
Procedures and standards were quite easy to follow.
Pros
Wide range of services to different sectors of the industry
Cons
Relatively new in Alberta compared to its competitors
Bureaucratic and full of partisanship
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2019
Diverse projects exist but you get stuck and it is difficult to move across functions. Management's talk is not followed by action. Opportunities to move forward are limited, especially if you are from a minority groups.
Very good company
Senior Civil Strucural Designer (Current Employee) –  Сахалинская область23 January 2019
This company has a good staff. When I came here I felt a warm welcome. Employees are experienced in their fields and ready to help newcomers. Job work and life balance is excellent.
Heh
Materials Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 September 2018
unorganized
management cares about their pockets more than anything else
"you're replaceable"
work life balance is not a thing. They'll tell you they care about your quality of life, just as long as it doesn't come between your job and they're bottom line
Pros
over time after 40 hours/week
Poor management and backstabbing politics amoung managers. Excellent benefits.
Prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Ontario15 October 2018
Management are competitive with each other and staff are given conflicting directions. No performance evaluations are ever done, Project Director fires and and rehires engineers/specialists for 'poor performance' only after projects receive approval by client and specialized work is completed. .

Management is lacking in clear direction of expectations and point fingers at subordinates when things don't go as they planned but take credit for all positive outcomes. Projects are underbid so Project Manager cut corners to save money, bypass regulations and guidelines.risking compliance warnings and orders..

Company has excellent mandatory training, competitive pay and benefits. Use company as a stepping stone as they dismiss loyalty but think nothing of minimizing your efforts.

One day your their star employee, the next they dismiss you and say your performance was poor. They chew up and spit people out.

They like to hire new grads. Anyone with their own mind is let go.
Pros
competitive pay and benefits
Cons
Poor leadership
solid company with grat repution in the Oil and gas in.dusry which is well desreved
Manager Civil/Structural Dept (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2018
solid company with great reputation in the Oil and gas industry which is well deserved. Good workplace environment with generous benefits. Enjoyed my time there.
Difficult Place to work
Senior Implementation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 February 2018
I accepted the position with the promise a raise increase would occur within 14 days of hire, however after months of being told the increase was coming it never happened.

Great team though to work with, and certainly the interaction with team members was great
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Low salary, and unfulfilled promises
Nice but could not survive the storm
ROCESS ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2018
Work day: 10-15% meetings and inter-discipline support, 60-70% independent assignment and 10-15% project support.
What you learned: team-work, self-control, multi-tasking, coordinating and developing guidelines and specifications.
Management: minimal involvement
Workplace Culture: encourage innovation and diversity
The hardest part of the job: Growing organization, lack of standards and procedures
Most enjoyable: Great peole overall
Pros
Open and flexible
Cons
Could not survive the storm
Senior Document Controller (Murphy Oil, Shell (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 February 2018
I've been with Wood (Woodgroup Mustang) for almost 4 years in the Document Control Department with almost 15 members. I would say that this the best group I ever had.
Pros
working sched - 8.75 hrs/day and every friday halfday off
Ok
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 April 2018
Ok place to work. The recent takeover by Wood has changed things. Money is good. Benefits are good. Work Life balance is good. Management could be better.
Whole IT tasks will be out sourced
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 March 2018
I had been working for AMEC, which has been acquired by Wood and it has decided to outsource all IT works, I'll loss my job once my work is get settled.
fun & proud at Kearl project
Document Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 December 2017
i became to know so many good people. it was fun to work with them. the document control job was demanding but there was great peer support. any question met with kind answer.
Pros
good people great coworkers
Cons
soso management
A great company for Internship
Engineering Internship - Design Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 June 2017
I worked here on my internship and enjoyed it to the utmost. My days consisted of constantly challenging my knowledge from what I learned in University. I was also required to read more textbooks and papers to gain a better understanding that was not taught in school. I learned about project management, self-management, torsional vibration control and water hammer. The variety of people who work here is huge and I was always learning more and more about different cultures and countries; truly spectacular. The job and people were open to ask questions to at anytime which was the most important part for me.
Pros
Great variety of people to talk with, challenging work
Excellent management and job culture
Senior I&C Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 November 2017
It was a pleasure working at Wood (Amec Foster Wheeler). We finished our projects on time. I am willing to work again at Wood if given a chance. Highly recommended company to my colleagues.
First time experienced fly in fly out and power generation plant
Wood group PSN, Australia (Former Employee) –  Turbine, ON5 April 2017
12 hours a day 8 days ON 6 days OFF FLY IN FLY OUT Roster includes night shift and day shift work.
Learned power plant(GE gas turbine with auxiliary equipment/plant) operation and maintenance .Nice friendly management .Workplace culture was excellent.Hardest part of job is to sit in control room for continuous 12 hours for monitoring overall operation on SCADA. Enjoyed the maintenance of field instrumentation and self training of power plant
Lead E/I&C Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2017
Very straight forward place to work. Challenging and interesting project. Learned quite a lot. Great, motivated people. Not as well isolated from economic cycles as one would like.
Not good
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 December 2017
It is bad, not organised at all, company charge too much. no balance with personal life too much management and positions not defined even top do not answer
Pros
few
Cons
many
Productive and fun workplace
Junior Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2012
Great company to work for. Manager and co-workers were always helpful and great to work with. Worked on a variety of projects which gave me more experience with different standards and expectations. Hardest part of the job was some of the last minute deadlines. Most enjoyable part of the job was working on different projects with different project leads.
Pros
lunch n' learns, free lunches and learned new information on the technology
Cons
communication was not consistent