Wood Group Employee Reviews

Company Entitlement is Fierce
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario4 May 2018
Self entitled corporate environment with little high profile projects to support the self claim of excellence. See topprojects.ca (browse the top 100 projects). Currently listed to provide ‘support services’ for 4 (out of 100) top projects in Canada.

Office management is poor due to lack of training and basic Human Resource skills.

Questionable ethical standards at an office manager level.

Very HIGH FOCUS on utilization / billable hours. Management required weekly projections on estimated utilization and would often walk from desk to desk to inquire.

No marketing of services completed by the company to support day to day work/projects.

Employees need to market their service/discipline and the company independently, find their own work, write proposals, conduct the work, write reports. Must also cross-sell other disciplines and when successful little acknowledgment is given.

No focus on employee professional development. Management provided basic corporate training but little attention is given to workshops, seminars, certifications, courses. Opportunities for growth and advancement are minimal.

Professional Development Reviews are conducted at 6 month and 1 year intervals to fulfill corporate requirements. Minimal raises are given annually (sometimes) ranging from 0% to 4%.

EMPLOYEES ARE TREATED AS COMMODITIES.
Pros
Co-workers were great.
Cons
‘Top Down’ management approach is extremely dated and in need of repair.
Ok
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 April 2018
Ok place to work. The recent takeover by Wood has changed things. Money is good. Benefits are good. Work Life balance is good. Management could be better.
Whole IT tasks will be out sourced
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 March 2018
I had been working for AMEC, which has been acquired by Wood and it has decided to outsource all IT works, I'll loss my job once my work is get settled.
Difficult Place to work
Senior Implementation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 February 2018
I accepted the position with the promise a raise increase would occur within 14 days of hire, however after months of being told the increase was coming it never happened.

Great team though to work with, and certainly the interaction with team members was great
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Low salary, and unfulfilled promises
Senior Document Controller (Murphy Oil, Shell (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 February 2018
I've been with Wood (Woodgroup Mustang) for almost 4 years in the Document Control Department with almost 15 members. I would say that this the best group I ever had.
Pros
working sched - 8.75 hrs/day and every friday halfday off
Nice but could not survive the storm
ROCESS ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2018
Work day: 10-15% meetings and inter-discipline support, 60-70% independent assignment and 10-15% project support.
What you learned: team-work, self-control, multi-tasking, coordinating and developing guidelines and specifications.
Management: minimal involvement
Workplace Culture: encourage innovation and diversity
The hardest part of the job: Growing organization, lack of standards and procedures
Most enjoyable: Great peole overall
Pros
Open and flexible
Cons
Could not survive the storm
typical construction day
Field Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC17 December 2017
• Oversaw and directed construction projects from concept to completion
• Chaired weekly site meetings with company management and all site contractors
• Reviewed all Documentation and Safety Work Plans of all contractors, including the prime contractor on site, before allowing the work to begin
• Reviewed project documentation in-depth for schedule deliverables
• Oversaw all onsite and offsite construction to monitor compliance with client requirements and building and safety regulations and requirements
• Coordinated and supervised all trade workers and contractors on site
• Arranged for materials, and equipment and received and tracked all inventory
• Ensured all contractors met the contractual requirements
• Reviewed daily, weekly and monthly work progress and prepared internal and external reports on job status to Project Manager and Client Project Manager
• Planned ahead to prevent problems and immediately resolve emerging problems to avoid delays and critical issues
• Analyzed, managed and mitigated risks
• Ensured contract adherence of quality construction standards and proper techniques
• Issued Request for Information (RFI), Site Instructions (SI), Non-Compliance Reports (NCR), and Field Memo and Inquiries (FMI)
• Ensured all
  more... personnel on site complied with the safety program
• Monitored safe work procedures of contractors and workers to ensure safety compliances
Pros
satisfaction of seing each phase in the construction completed safely
Cons
Having to deal with highly inflated egos at AMEC
fun & proud at Kearl project
Document Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 December 2017
i became to know so many good people. it was fun to work with them. the document control job was demanding but there was great peer support. any question met with kind answer.
Pros
good people great coworkers
Cons
soso management
Not good
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 December 2017
It is bad, not organised at all, company charge too much. no balance with personal life too much management and positions not defined even top do not answer
Pros
few
Cons
many
Lead E/I&C Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2017
Very straight forward place to work. Challenging and interesting project. Learned quite a lot. Great, motivated people. Not as well isolated from economic cycles as one would like.
Excellent management and job culture
Senior I&C Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 November 2017
It was a pleasure working at Wood (Amec Foster Wheeler). We finished our projects on time. I am willing to work again at Wood if given a chance. Highly recommended company to my colleagues.
A great company for Internship
Engineering Internship - Design Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 June 2017
I worked here on my internship and enjoyed it to the utmost. My days consisted of constantly challenging my knowledge from what I learned in University. I was also required to read more textbooks and papers to gain a better understanding that was not taught in school. I learned about project management, self-management, torsional vibration control and water hammer. The variety of people who work here is huge and I was always learning more and more about different cultures and countries; truly spectacular. The job and people were open to ask questions to at anytime which was the most important part for me.
Pros
Great variety of people to talk with, challenging work
First time experienced fly in fly out and power generation plant
Wood group PSN, Australia (Former Employee) –  Turbine, ON5 April 2017
12 hours a day 8 days ON 6 days OFF FLY IN FLY OUT Roster includes night shift and day shift work.
Learned power plant(GE gas turbine with auxiliary equipment/plant) operation and maintenance .Nice friendly management .Workplace culture was excellent.Hardest part of job is to sit in control room for continuous 12 hours for monitoring overall operation on SCADA. Enjoyed the maintenance of field instrumentation and self training of power plant
what can i say
Junior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2017
i do not want to particpate in this but am being forced to do so .. this is not fair and i dont think i should have to do this and be forced to write a review in the interests of privacy
All Good safe place to work
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL27 February 2017
Was a great place to work learned lots and made new friends. To bad the job will soon be done. I enjoyed working there the job had good benefit's.
Pros
Great hours Good Money
Cons
Job Is comming to a end
Fun team driven
Project Lead Buyer Osum Project (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2017
Strong team driven EPCM company. Flexible hours. Work life balance is essential. Not a lot of projects to work on though
Great work environment
Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Hebron, NL6 January 2017
Many opportunities at this company for advancement great team of workers and supervision treated with respect management was good to work with
Pros
Overtime available
Cons
Great company to work for
Mechanical Commissioning Specialist (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Bull Arm, NL16 December 2016
This is my first time working for Wood Group and they have treated me well, It is a company that I would like to continue to build a relationship with.
Challenging projects, fun place to work.
Senior EI&C Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 May 2016
Wood Group PSN is a great place to work. They have excellent Project Management that allows the lead designers freedom to incorporate new and exciting processes and techniques. They encourage team building and as a result the day to day routine is fun and at the same time challenging.
Well managed company with multiple projects
Senior Project Administrator/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 November 2015
Unfortunately Wood Group has been hit hard by the massive project slowdown in Alberta.

They are a well managed company with good people.