Wood's Homes Employee Reviews

Horrible Place to Work
Youth and Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Calgary11 June 2019
No support whatsoever. Extremely understaffed. Worked with very high risk youth and did not have adequate enough support to work with the youth. After a very stressful event, made to feel like we shouldn't be feeling that way because they never did. Pretty much just all around made staff feel like they had to be robots to work the job. Went on stress leave and was made to feel like I was over-reacting. When I finally quit, my manager made me cry and feel bad because I didn't think I could step foot into the building due to my PTSD. Said I should be ashamed for not saying goodbye to my coworkers. Overall a very draining work environment. Wouldn't have been so bad if we had support. Union also doesn't fight for staff. Had barely enough coverage for mental health support to cover 2 sessions of therapy. No one cared about anyone besides themselves there. Staff were left to manage each other and support each other, even when they were worn out themselves.
Cons
Long hours, no work/ life balance, benefits suck, no support, everything
Fun to work with kids from traumatic backgrounds but can be challenging at times
Youth and Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2019
Great management, salary and benefits. Can be too stressful sometimes and can take a toll on your mental health. Overally it’s a great place to work with a lot of resources to equip staff for success.
Cons
Long hours, can affect mental health due to stress
Should be investigated by someone who believes in justice.
Youth and Family Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 December 2018
I was severly beaten by a youth. My manager left me in shock with 6 children to look after while I was single shifted. There was no WCB offered and no follow up. My boss left me bruised in the program so they could go to a work party. Some things are not ok. The way management treats their staff is White Collar Crime in my opinion. I say this without prejudice, just giving an example of my horrible experience.
Pros
The youth and families
Cons
Abusive environment
Busy Work environment
Youth and Family Counsellor I (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 November 2018
Very tasking and demands a lot from the staff. Management is not the best when it comes to looking out for their staff members, wages and compensation could be improved for the front staff dealing directly with with the clients.
Pros
free lunches, scheduled breaks
Cons
It was a fun place to work in
Youth Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 August 2018
Even though it was like a routine but no 2 days at work are typically the same. The environment was a fun place to work with and the management board is friendly and corporative with all put in place I gained a lot and advance in skills. I Intervened in client’s interaction to de-escalate conflicts. Supported and supervised clients' activities (Chores, group meetings etc.). Educated youth on issues such as drug use, career opportunities, the importance of education and other life issues. Engaged clients in a manner that supports individual assessments and case plans. Evaluated resident’s daily living activities and current mental status.
YCAP (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2018
Everything was great, Great management and a very enjoyable program, Lots of great experiences and moments to learn new life skills, by far one of the best programs ive been involved with.
Sadly a mental health agency that doesn’t protect anyone’s mental health
School Support Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2018
I loved my job but when I brought forward abuse that was ongoing at the hands of an administrator with community partner. The program team lead and the supervisor did everything to silence me and minimize the situation.

It was a physician who was adamant that this situation needed to be properly reported before a child was seriously injured. My only choice was to resign so I could properly report what was happening. I didn’t go into this field to turn a blind eye to abuse.
Pros
Co-workers, clients, and their families
Cons
Abusive and demeaning management
Good intentions, poor management
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2018
I fully stand behind the mission of Wood's Homes but the work environment, while I was there, was awful and toxic. The management was ineffective and subversive. The office felt 'clique-y' and full of employees talking behind each others backs.
Pros
Helping in the fight against children's mental health
Cons
toxic environment
woods is a great non profit organization
Peer Leader/Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 April 2018
was nice working with youth from ages 14-25 in a cooking setting teaching them how to learn to cook from scratch to be able to not have to measure spices just be able to judge it and make wonderful dishes
Fun Place to work, Requires lots of Effort
Youth and Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 January 2018
Woods was fun to work at and I would definitely work there again. Takes a toll on your own being so it is important to maintain healthy work life balance.
Great colleagues and culture
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 January 2018
As a casual staff clinician I cannot comment on full-time work or benefits, however, I have been on the casual roster for two years and always look forward to my shift. Eastside Family Centre fosters an environment where you can not only practice a wide range of clinical skills but also grow with critical thinking, dialogue, and feedback. Great colleagues with great wisdom and flexibility with hours. I feel appreciate and supported.
Pros
The people you meet and work with
Cons
No breaks unless you create it and can be overcrowded with students and volunteers
Their montra is great unless you work for them!!
Youth and Family Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2017
If a client has a temper tantrum and you or your property get injured, YOU are blamed and no monetary help is provided.
- Senior management are very little to no help
- lots of work
- high turn over
Pros
helping others when you have co workers that also are suppotive.
Cons
senior management sucks in Calgary!!!
Challenging and non-supportive environment, inconsistent schedule and poor management
Youth and Family Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 September 2017
Working long hours with an inconsistent schedule, often working days, evenings and nights within one rotation. Poor management, it seemed as though management lacked basic skills regarding team building and support. Often working 1:1 in dangerous settings with no follow up or emotional support after particularly challenging shifts. When concerns were brought up management made you feel embarrassed or as though it was your fault. The company overall is not willing to change or accept feedback from staff. The pay is not worth the stress and potential danger, which combined with a lack of support makes it an overall disappointing position.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Poor management, dangerous environment, inconsistent shifts
Great place to begin a career as a social worker.
Family and Youth Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 September 2017
Every day is different according to the child's needs for the day.
I have learnt that though I may be physically weak, I can be mentally strong. The hardest part of the job is it requires a great deal of physical ability. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I am being challenged and I learn something new.
Pros
Free lunches, co workers support you with whatever you need
Cons
Pay and long hours at times
Culture minus the "ure"
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Parkdale Campus18 January 2017
Retention is horrible - the previous review of leading with fear and embarrassment is bang on.

Most of the longer term employees need the services just as badly as the clients they serve.

Leadership blindly directing on a reactive level only, not really understanding any sort of proactive level of influence.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Zero emotional competence
Great place to work.
Youth and Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 November 2016
The staff and coworker culture is excellent. They encourage open communication with coworkers and superiors. Staff wellbeing is considered very important. Shift work is a challenge and some of the youth can be very challenging as well.
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 September 2016
A good place to work. I am currently volunteering there. Friendly people who care and listen. They offer help and try to make life better for Canadians
Exciting
Team Leader - Evergreen, & Altadore Program (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2016
Lots to do on a daily basis, never two days ever the same with this place. I have never been more entertained by changing the lives of our youth. I made some life long friends here.
Great for 2 years
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary23 June 2015
Wood's Homes has been helping children and families for many years and is an important part of the community.

Unfortunately, there are some poor and underqualified managers and an overall culture of leading via fear and embarrassment.

Before applying, find out the qualifications of your potential manager and ask specific questions in the interview.

Some managers are great but there are some that will take credit for your work, deny you growth opportunities, overload you with work and if you speak up, will try to ruin your reputation. Is it even worth it to apply?
Pros
Free lunches, nice campuses, important community work and free parking
Cons
Lack of opportunity for growth, 6 month waiting period for benefits, avoids to pay overtime, burnout, high turnover, lack of training for managers, lack of diversity
A sprawling charitable enterprise
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 November 2014
Wood’s Homes is a multi-service, community-owned and operated children’s mental health centre based in Calgary. As the city's largest children’s mental health centre and residential counselling organization, they operate a wide variety of programs, opening up many opportunities for forward or lateral advancement for those in Social Work.