Wood's Homes

Wood's Homes Employee Reviews

Canada55 reviews
This job meant everything to me, despite it's fast paced working environment. It is a way to collaborate with colleagues to make sure the youth in their care are living their best lives despite their circumstances.
Cons
Poor leadership with little to no support for frontline staff. Culture of fear within the structure of the agency where if you speak up about something wrong you will be attacked by management
Toxic management style, even more toxic team , stay away. Their adult program is very dangerous place with absolutely no support from team lead or program director.
Pros
Cons
Unsafe place to work
Official response from Wood's Homes
2 July 2020
We are continually looking at our safety practices to ensure our hard-working employees are safe in the workplace. Please feel free to reach out to management with any questions regarding your position.
I have mixed feelings about working at Woods. I love what they do and how they make a impact but they don’t treat there staff as well as they treat there yo. Staff are overworked, they are not paid enough and the managers are not appreciative of the work that the staff do. When a staff does something wrong, they are not coached on it but instead management just looks the other way. The culture of the company isnt’t good and I will be looking for another job that does appreciate me
Official response from Wood's Homes
2 July 2020
Thank you for your feedback. At Wood's Homes we do try and make a difference in the community. Our staff are important to us and we know they are our greatest asset. Coaching and on-the-job training is a big part of our culture - please feel free to reach out to management if you are having issues or have questions!
Wood’s is a great place to work if you want a challenge in the youth work field. Everyone is passionate about their work which makes for a collaborative effort to ensure the youth get what they need.
Had to listen to program manager brag about how good she was. We had staff murdered in Nov. Lots of staff quit. No support from upper management. I caught my manager lying to me then lsto protect herself. Dont work herelied to
Benefits
Cons
Long hrs and bad management
Unsafe conditions for staff and clients. The general idea is good, but clients are only helped at the expense of staff wellbeing. The clients themselves can be wonderful to interact with and a great learning experience, but the agency and their values are not worth it.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long shifts, unsafe
It was a good experience. It was a fun and productive workplace. It facilitated good team atmosphere and professional development. It had good benefits.
Unsafe work conditions with minimal support from managers. During my time with this company I watched staff turnover weekly with many leaving due to injuries from clients.
Mangers are very negative. They get bonus money and are very demanding. Very stressful job- we had over 5 WCB claims in on month. Not safe place to work. They just had worker murdered - she was single staff-with high risk youth
Was very excited to work there, yet they don’t train or support their employees enough. The work is very tough, and usually if you get hurt on the job, they’ll lay you off. It’s 6 months probation period.
I loved working at Wood's. There's lots of support from your team and from management. Balancing work and your life can be difficult due to long hours, and lots of over time. Sometimes it feels like you are not being paid enough for the work you do as it can become very stressful and draining to work with some kids, but at the end of the day it is the kids that matter and it is very fulfilling.
It is shift work so days can be long, but having four days off is nice. Considering the amount of work done in a day, and the stress of the work, the pay is nowhere near enough. The benefits are really good, but do not make up for the lack of wage. The only way to get a decent pay check is to work overtime, which can quickly lead to emotional, mental, and physical burnout. There can be a high turnover of staff which can make the job difficult.
Pros
benefits, team work, management
Cons
long hours, restraints, risk of injury
I got amazing training, support and education here. Self discovery and being vulnerable is key to success. Amazing co worker and supervisor enhancing the learning experience
No support whatsoever. Extremely understaffed. Worked with very high risk youth and did not have adequate enough support to work with the youth. After a very stressful event, made to feel like we shouldn't be feeling that way because they never did. Pretty much just all around made staff feel like they had to be robots to work the job. Went on stress leave and was made to feel like I was over-reacting. When I finally quit, my manager made me cry and feel bad because I didn't think I could step foot into the building due to my PTSD. Said I should be ashamed for not saying goodbye to my coworkers. Overall a very draining work environment. Wouldn't have been so bad if we had support. Union also doesn't fight for staff. Had barely enough coverage for mental health support to cover 2 sessions of therapy. No one cared about anyone besides themselves there. Staff were left to manage each other and support each other, even when they were worn out themselves.
Cons
Long hours, no work/ life balance, benefits suck, no support, everything
This was a great place to work, very open environment and the staff, as well as management, are very helpful in helping those who need to learn and grow as a professional.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Not many
Great management, salary and benefits. Can be too stressful sometimes and can take a toll on your mental health. Overally it’s a great place to work with a lot of resources to equip staff for success.
Cons
Long hours, can affect mental health due to stress
Crisis work promotes team environment. A great place to work for a short period of time if you are fresh out of school. However, there is high turnover and high burnout rate. Not a lot of support from management, as frontline is treated as replaceable. Lots of politics in upper management. Not a lot of room for growth. No promotion of work life balance. If you are frontline you will be required to work shift work, holidays and come in on your days off for team meetings. You will also be placed in high risk situations like 1 to 6 support with high risk clients, single staffed over night shifts, ect.
Pros
Good short term experience
Cons
High risk, crisis management work
Woods prides themselves on being a former top employer in Canada, I repeat FORMER. The agency is going through a huge amount of staff turnover.

There are different agencies in Calgary doing a better job right now.
Very tasking and demands a lot from the staff. Management is not the best when it comes to looking out for their staff members, wages and compensation could be improved for the front staff dealing directly with with the clients.
Pros
free lunches, scheduled breaks
Cons
Hard to move up internally. Pay is not that great for the hard work that is done in program. The staff are great and I have made good friends along the way.
Pros
free food, great staff, fulfilling work
Cons
long hours, poor pay, hard to move up in the company