Wolseley Canada, Inc.
Happiness score is 43 out of 100

Wolseley Canada, Inc. Employee Reviews in Calgary, AB

Calgary, AB21 reviews

High pressure environment

Overall not too bad of place to work for but definitely geared towards the plumbing division more than other divisions. Communication from top down is on a need to know basis which can be a plus and a minus.

Pros

Free pop/water cooler

Cons

Some coworkers are not team players.

If you aren't in the in-group you're out

One of their operating system is from the 1980s... warehouse manager hired as friends and got rid of all the good stuff that were there before he showed up. Other companies are coming in and taking the good employees...

Pros

Nothing that I can remember

Cons

Management played favourites. Operating system as400 from the 1980s

Insights into Wolseley Canada, Inc.

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Poor pay, long hours

Most Inside sales positions in the mechanical industry pay incredibly poorly. Wolseley is no exception. 9 hour days with a hour unpaid lunch, high turnover rate.

Pros

Friendly staff, decent training

Cons

9 hour day, pay

Unappreciative of your efforts

Worked at Wolseley for over 10 years, at least 10 years too long. Managers were just salesmen who got promoted and never had experience managing people. I worked hard to learn as much as possible and move up until I was paid well, but was punted as soon as the economy dipped. The lesson being keep your head down, keep your mouth shut, forget ambition, kiss backsides, and you’ll go far in this company! They did however treat me better firing me than they ever did employing me!

Pros

Cons

Little to no reward for hard work

Management only cares about profit

20 years of service, millions of dollars in pure profit, no raises ever not even cost of living, only acknowledged when you make a mistake, managers that ignore staff requests and have no idea how to manage people they would rather ignore you and work you to death for minimal wages. This is a high stress environment with no praise and they fired all the people that got this company where it is today. I highly recommend you do not work for this company

Pros

Cons

Management, wages, work environment

heading down a bad path

see review summery. company was once a place i was proud to work. now they are cleaning out all of their experience and bringing in people who treat the staff like a number and not like human beings.

Too bad

The work and the co workers are the only things (offer than needing money and benefits) that will keep you sane in this place. Management was run poorly, nepotism, lies and promises unfulfilled. They exploit people with potential with promises (lies) but don't compensate appropriately. If you're still in there, get out. It was the best thing I did.

Stable job, good people, decent salary

I love working here, we have so many different divisions, so I talk based on my division (Waterworks). We have amazing people working here knowledgeable people ready to teach, train and help you at any moment. Decent Salary, awesome benefits, good schedule. Over all I would definitely recommend this place. I have worked here for 4 years.

Fair company

Very enjoyable atmosphere. Great pension. Room for advancement. Opportunity to move around and gain knowledge in different areas. Flexible with vacation requests

Pros

Bonus incentives, great team

Cons

Forced time off

Good place-work & life balance

Good place to work & life is balanced although salary is median average, benefits are good with different plans to choose from, lot of fun activities, almost every 2nd Friday in summers, there's BBQ.

Productive and fun people to work with

My typical day consists of applying payments to customer accounts and dealing with emails. I have learnt to work in a fast pace environment, which I prefer and enjoy. My work place consists of friendly team work and a happy, comfortable environment.

Pros

Free lunch at month end

Cons

Working late at month end

Customers are the Best

Fun place to work most days. Customers were more like friends than customers, but still able to maintain a professional atmosphere. Love that the staff knew each other by name, didn't feel like just a number like some other companies.

very nice and neat work environment

its a nice company to work with, good management and staff are friendly. the environment is nice and neat lots of great people to work with. supervisors too are friendly and always ready to help.

Pros

1 hour lunch

Cons

one weekend of work in a month

Productive environment

We volunteered to count inventory. It was fast paced but worth the time spent. It was a long process but once it was complete it was very comforting. The workers were kind and helpful, also easy to work with. The hardest part was keeping track of everything. The most enjoyable part was working as a team.

Pros

Teamwork

great place to work

worked there as a warehouse manager, loading and unloading stock. inventory, supervising staff. I really enjoyed the work atmosphere there. I would go back to them

Would not recommend

Unless you are making money for this company, you do not matter to management. More work given, but no appropriate compensation in return. Not a team environment.

Could use some serious management changes

Worked her for 2 years and a couple of the people are my best friends but the rest of them including all the management are in their own world where they do whatever they want and pick on people till they quit.

Fun and hard working place

It was a fast pace environment. everyone respected each other. Had weekly bbqs in the summer. Able to work your way up or change your career choice.

Pros

Cons

Wages are not that great

Loved working there, Only left as I moved out East. Did many jobs over the years, enjoyed every one of them. Great management team. Enjoyed the help desk position the best as I was helping end users with system work.

A very comfortable and educational place to work

My typical day started at 7 am till 3 pm. I was able to learn how to do accounts payable in different areas of the company. Thus learning many aspects of the corporation. the management was hands on and would help whenever the situation arise, but would let you be on your own when required. My co-worker were the best. It was a family with everyone looking out for others and offering assistance when required. I enjoyed my job very much. I was able to work on my own, make some decisions when needed, but asked, when it was out of my spectrum.

Pros

Close to home, wonderful co-workers and an overall good place to work

Cons

Sometimes overwhelming near year end.

bad

bad worse worst just consider other companies. it is waste of your precious life to work for this company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wolseley Canada, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement