WJS Canada
Happiness score is 45 out of 100

WJS Canada Employee Reviews

Great management, always opportunities to move up

WJS was very supportive and made effort to listen to complaints and issues and worked to solve them as best they could. They placed a lot of value on work/life balance and they were very emotionally supportive in times of chaos. WJS takes care of their employees.

21 December 2020
We’re happy to see such a kind review!Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on your experience being part of the WJS Canada team.Your review helps to reaffirm that we are helping our staff succeed, thank you very much for sharing!WJS Canada is happy to see such passionate team members making a difference in peoples lives.

Wotking with Individuals in care fun and rewarding. Company comes off at first good. Very toxic/ competitive.

Management appears happy terrific. They condone under handed tactics from one staff to another. Although have policies and procedures, when certain staff follow does not end well for certain staff.

Pros

Working with Individuals in care. Good wages and benefits

Cons

Toxic competitive, management and staff.

13 September 2021
WJS agrees that working with the persons we serve is a very fun and rewarding experience. This field can be very busy, supporting the clients we serve in setting goals, developing new skills and becoming more involved in their communities. There's nothing more rewarding then celebrating their successes with them it's an absolutely amazing feeling.I agree the pay and company benefits are awesome! There aren't many companies where the employer pays 100% of the health and dental premiums :) usually the employee is required to share the cost with the employer. I'm sorry that you felt you were at a detriment for following company policies.

A good company to work for.

I've been with the company 9 years. As all companies have good and bad, this one has been almost all good. Sometimes a bit of a disconnect from upper management to front line, but there is open communcation for the most part.

Pros

Good benefits, good training, good people

Cons

Sometimes a disconnect from upper management to the reality of front line work.

13 September 2021
First, thank you for your 9 years of service with WJS Canada!!! We are a great company to work for because we have wonderful people who work with our clients everyday and are committed to making a difference in the lives of the people we support through life's challenges. WJS Canada has many success stories but the root of our strength is our passionate team members.I agree the benefits are great! 100% employer-paid health and dental benefits for staff 30+ hours is a dream!

Good supportive place to work

I enjoyed working with this agency, very cultural, I enjoyed I got the opportunity to work all the homes & side by side with supervisors. I gained alot more experience that I am grateful for. I usually recommend this agency to apply too, if I know people who are looking to work within an Indigenous based agency & enjoy helping children & youth grow & learn.

13 September 2021
Thank you for such a nice review of Spirit of Our Youth Homes. WJS Canada is so happy to see how Spirit has grown since becoming our sister organization in 2013.Spirit of Our Youth Homes provides vital culturally-based programming, support and safe, home-based accommodations to First Nations, Metis or Inuit children and youth. The traditional FNMI teachings can empower youth to make strong connections with family and community. Each youth has access to a cultural coordinator who provides individual support and cultural opportunities including monthly sweats, weekly sharing circles, smudging, pipe ceremonies, feasts, dances, traditional healing, languages and access to community Elders and Cultural Helpers.We hope that because you have shared your positive experience with Spirit of Our Youth Homes it will encourage other job seekers who are committed to this cause to join our organization so we can continue to do this great work with Indigenous children and Youth!

Wonderful Place to Work

Leadership is strong, diverse and collaborative. The culture is amazing, and needs to be duplicated in other organizations. Never wake up hating Mondays.

Pros

Trust of their employees

Cons

Not enough contacts in Edmonton

13 September 2021
I LOVE your comment "Never wake up hating Mondays"I full-heartedly agree! I've been with WJS Canada for 6 years and have enjoyed most every minute! Never felt the drudgery of getting up and going to work as with some other organizations. The culture and leadership is amazing, engaged and passionate. I think this is because we are all committed to working together for such a worthwhile cause - supporting people through their challenges, building on their strengths and encouraging them to live and thrive in their communities!!!

Productive and positive learning environment

A typical day at work would including reading and responding to emails, returning phone calls, placing calls to confirm meetings/visits with families and individuals. Follow up with families and gathering resources that best fit clients needs. Meeting with office manager and collaborators including community agencies and Children Services Staff. At times, the office could be busy with everyone completing work related tasks that require lots of data entry at certain times of the month. The hardest part of the job is time management and keeping up with reports and assessments that are time sensitive. The most enjoyable part of the job is client (family) growth and learning from the change processes that individuals and families are experiencing.

Pros

Learning new ways of approaching family work, Respectful work environment, Your input is welcomed and considered, as it relates to (diversity of thought ) & collaborative service delivery framework (strategies )

Cons

The work with marginalized families and individuals could be emotionally exhausting

6 April 2021
Thank you so much for your thoughtful review! We're happy that you enjoyed your work as part of our team at WJS Canada. Your work with the families in High Level and area, has been amazing and both WJS and the community of High Level is better because of your work there. Good luck in your next adventure!

Horrible workplace

Worked for this company for 4 years and must say it was the worst place I ever worked in my entire career.. Totally unprofessional management run by a bipolar CEO who hired program managers like himself. Surprised that this company is still operating but thankful I left when I did!

Pros

Downtown location

Cons

Unprofessional management

30 March 2021
Thanks E.B. for your comments.Our CEO has been retired for the past 3 years now.

absolute disaster with their provision of workspace. training & support during orietation was almost nonexistant

I would never recommend anyone work there. Of my 35 years in the field of mental health this was, by far, the most discouraging job I ever attempted

Pros

access to dynamic clients was a priviledge

Cons

treat frontline straff with almost contempt & expedability

21 December 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about working at WJS Canada. Your feedback is invaluable and we are listening.At WJS we care deeply about the welfare, well being and mental health of our employees, providing an Open Door policy - right up to the CEO, as well as a confidential employee assistance helpline. But of course we do welcome further feedback from our team members, so please if you would like to talk to us confidentially please do email us at abhr@wjscanada.com.

It's an excellent workplace

Great place to workMorale is good. The supervisor is great.You will have the option to take internal classes to help your self-development.The work hours are great.

Pros

great team, great supervisor

21 December 2020

Fun and professional staff. Strong sense of team membership

Fun but professional office environment. Some office politics. There is a sense of fellowship with other staff members but not inclusive of family members

Pros

Respectful environment

Cons

Office administrator is unable to take the same level of joking that she hands out

21 December 2020
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Jobs at WJS Canada

See more jobs

Very Poor Management

Very Poor Management! There was always drama within the Management team, I like to believe that I am a strong woman, however I was constantly being made to feel like I was defective in some way. There is a issue with blaming instead of investigation, failing to role model, do as I say not as I do. They suppress staff voices so no one with any challenge or follow up on poor management practices. Do not meet minimum requirements for health and safety in all work spaces.

21 December 2020
We have a new Program Director in Vegreville now and a full compliment of Team Leaders to help our team members success and enjoy their work.Working in this field can be very busy, supporting the clients we serve in setting goals and developing new skills and independence. There's nothing more rewarding then celebrating their successes with them it's an absolutely amazing feeling.

It is a great place to work

I worked for 10 years for WJS Canada. I grew with the company and went from paper base to computer base. WJS founders believe that making money was a consequence of helping people and thats how they based their business on. During my years working there I met wonderful people and I can tell that the people at the head office are wonderful people and want to do it right. The CEO is personable and good to talk. I had a wonderful director until 2014 but when she left I was stuck with a boss that was less than mediocre and I ended up leaving the company because I could not respect her. However, my life after WHS was only great opportunities and making double what I used to make so I am thankful for everything I learned there.

Pros

Vacation is more than anywhere, Health insurance is great for manager, flexibility is another top, great HR and will listen to you

Cons

The bad boss who is retired so you apply there and be merry

21 July 2020
Thank you for such a nice review and your 10 years of past service to WJS Canada!Your review helps to reaffirm that we are helping our staff succeed, thank you very much for sharing!WJS Canada is happy to see such passionate team members making a difference in peoples lives.

Collaborative team environment focusing on work/life balance

I can't believe I have been working here for almost 5 years! Time has flown by! But as I think back on all the things that we've achieved together I'm so grateful for the experience that I've gained. My manager is wonderful to work for as she let's me be creative and as long as they benefit the company, lets me run with my ideas. I've even been able to work from my home office for almost 2 years! It's SO amazing! Makes me work even harder than ever to have that opportunity to work in such a flexible environment. As long as they'll have me, I'll be here for many. many more years! :)

Pros

work from home office, great salary & 100% employer paid health benefits, great vacation allowance and 3 extra statutory holidays each year beyond the mandatory

Cons

part time hours

21 July 2020

Top down problems

If you read through the reviews you get the overall problem at this company. There is a issue with blaming instead of investigation, failing to role model, do as I say not as I do. They suppress staff voices so no one with challenge or follow up on poor management practices. Do not meet minimum requirements for health and safety in all work spaces.

Pros

I cannot say

Cons

Blame game is ongoing

8 July 2020
Please remember that WJS has a confidential Employee Assistance Program available to all team members if you need to talk to someone, at no charge. And...I'm listening, if you would like to connect with me confidentially, please email me at sblyth@wjscanada.com.

Not recommended

Supervisor abuses staff. No one takes it seriously. High staff turnaround reflects this. Office is clicky so no one feels safe to bring issues forward. Client isn't happy and the state of health is regression, the opposite wjs stands for.

8 July 2020
As a current employee of WJS Canada, You have the opportunity to help WJS build great leaders and an enjoyable work environment. I encourage you to contact someone you trust in the organization, a manager or Director, the regional Service Director for your area or if you would like to follow up with our HR department regarding this experience, please contact me at sblyth@wjscanada.com and we can discuss this confidentially.

a bit stressful

days can be busy, and stressful. there is a lot of supports for the staff, as well as the clients that are served. The company is pretty good at keeping up the training to staff.

8 July 2020
You are absolutely correct; working in this field can be emotionally challenging, but the reward of forming relationships with the clients we serve and celebrating their successes with them is absolutely amazing.

Not a fun place to work

I worked for Spirit of Our Youth Home for a number of years. There's no safety or protection for staff members. It was all about the money and you're forced to work in an unsafe environment most of the time.

Pros

Good collarboration from co-workers

Cons

Horrible schedule

8 July 2020
The safety of our team members is of paramount importance to us at WJS Canada. Policies and protocols are in place to ensure anything unsafe is reported and rectified. Even though you have now moved on to another organization, I would strongly encourage you to contact me personally in confidence to voice your concerns for the safety and security of our workers. I can be reached at abhr@wjscanada.com

Great workplace

Working with Wjs was a great experience for me. The management is friendly , always willing to help and caring. Working with youth is an amazing experience

8 July 2020
We’re happy to see such a kind review!Thank you very much for taking the time to share these thoughts.We appreciate all your efforts that help us change the lives of people who have experienced trauma in their lives or who have had to face various challenges.

8 July 2020

It was okay but sometimes very challenging.

Sometimes very busy and other days very relaxing. i learn to collaborate My most enjoyable part is when i help my client to achieve his or her goals.

8 July 2020
You are RIGHT! Working in this field can be very busy, supporting the clients we serve in setting goals and developing new skills and independence. There's nothing more rewarding then celebrating their successes with them it's an absolutely amazing feeling.

Don't do it

This company ruined my life. I am not even bitter, I'm relieved after seeing how they ended things. After a restructuring they wiped everything clean. After years of very dedicated work with absolutely no training, feedback or guidance I was laid off. But first! They worked me so hard doing 3 people's jobs at once for months. Being short staffed, bullied for years and absolutely no job security. No thank you, no front line position offered. Just sorry byeGoing forward was the motto, but being used and thrown away was the outcome. Thank you WJS for my new therapy Bill's, a divorce and gaining 50 lbs of stress weight.

Stable job

Good union job the field is changing so I don't really know. I worked there for 14 years so there must have been something I enjoyed. Good manager while there.

8 July 2020
Thank you for 14 years as a member of our WJS Canada team!Employees like you and your commitment to the people and families we serve is what makes WJS Canada a great place to work!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WJS Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement

Compare WJS Canada with

• WJS Canada
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?