WJS Canada

WJS Canada Employee Reviews

Canada63 reviews
Not a fun place to work
I worked for Spirit of Our Youth Home for a number of years. There's no safety or protection for staff members. It was all about the money and you're forced to work in an unsafe environment most of the time.
Pros
Good collarboration from co-workers
Cons
Horrible schedule
Great workplace
Working with Wjs was a great experience for me. The management is friendly , always willing to help and caring. Working with youth is an amazing experience
It was okay but sometimes very challenging.
Sometimes very busy and other days very relaxing. i learn to collaborate
My most enjoyable part is when i help my client to achieve his or her goals.
Don't do it
This company ruined my life. I am not even bitter, I'm relieved after seeing how they ended things. After a restructuring they wiped everything clean. After years of very dedicated work with absolutely no training, feedback or guidance I was laid off. But first! They worked me so hard doing 3 people's jobs at once for months. Being short staffed, bullied for years and absolutely no job security. No thank you, no front line position offered. Just sorry byeGoing forward was the motto, but being used and thrown away was the outcome. Thank you WJS for my new therapy Bill's, a divorce and gaining 50 lbs of stress weight.
Stable job
Good union job the field is changing so I don't really know. I worked there for 14 years so there must have been something I enjoyed. Good manager while there.
Great jon
I loved working with my clients. Ot was rewarding. I felt I got a lot of support from my superiors. There is a lot of paperwork. You are given hours to complete your paperwork.
Respectful workplace
Great Company and Team. Employee supportive. Enjoyed years of working there. The only reason to leave is to move to a different career. Chance to grow in your professional level
Wouldn't work there again
It wasn't an enjoyable place to work. It was stressful and they did not always follow through with commitments they made to staff and would change things without notice.
Start of casual end up fulltime
I started as casual on call youth worker and loved it so much ended up applying full time. The Kenora team is fantastic from manager to coworkers. Everyone has helped me succeed and is kind to eachother and clients. My trainer was carying, understanding and knowledgable. Never once did I feel left out and all my concerns and are taken serious. I love my job and feel valued
Apply now
I find that WJS Ontario is a great place to work, Upper Management is very collaborative and works well with their employees and follows the union contract. Upper Management and HR go above and beyond for their employees some of the time resulting in working the floor so their employees are allotted vacation time! If you want to have a job that makes you feel like family apply now before you miss out on a great life changing opportunity.
Horrible company
Horrible company who expects way too much of you. No work life and home balance. Upper management was never there for you in a crisis, guilt tripped you into doing more then you should. Complete bullies.
like my job
i like my job however i don't want to be answering questions that I have to do because I can't pass to the next screen without doing this part. sorry about that
Fast paced
The job had lots of evenings and weekends to work with families. There was also alot of traveling and you had to use your own vehicle but you were give mileage.
Sinking ship this one...
Just go look for work somewhere else, when the current CEO took over she double flushed so jump while you can. Sure she came up and allegedly listened to our concerns, but withing a month or so of her visit they closed the doors on a 21 year old program to cover their own shortcomings.
Ugh
Poor hours. No room for advancement. Management promotes who they want even if unqualified. Avoid this place. A lot of evening and weekends. Expected to work with youth that should be in a secure place. Constant change of work address. Pay is nominal for the work you do.
15 October 2019
Yes, relief staff are often scheduled to work evenings and weekends, so that permanent staff can spend time with their family & friends.

WJS Canada also does work with some persons in care, who have often experienced traumas in their life. Our staff are carefully screened to ensure they have the knowledge and skills to succeed in helping many of these people to learn appropriate behaviours, gain life skills and become involved in their communities.

These expectations should have been clearly communicated to you during the hiring and orientation process, we're sorry that your experience did not meet your needs and expectations.
I'm working my dream job!
I could not ask for a better place to work. I have great work-life balance, my contributions are encouraged and appreciated and I truly enjoy the work I do!
15 October 2019
Your review helps to reaffirm that we are helping our staff succeed, thank you very much for sharing!

WJS Canada is happy to see such passionate team members making a difference in peoples lives.

If you have any further suggestions on how we could improve we’d love to hear from you. Please reply to sblyth@wjscanada.com with any additional comments.
Embarrassing company to work for but am required to due to poor economy
Management/Supervisors pushes blame and responsibility for rectifying situations on their employees.
Management need to focus on how they can address and fix problems, not on who was to blame.

Management finds ways to circumvent guidelines or follow rules and allows others performance to suffer.

Some advice for WJS upper management-a management/supervisory role, good leaders are able to debate and argue behind closed doors and then fully support a decision in public--even if they privately disagree with that decision. Great leaders are also willing to admit when they are wrong, take responsibility for fixing their mistakes, and learn from them rather than put blame on others.

Helping their employees and clients grow should be WJS’s biggest concern but if they continue supporting their wallets rather than the people they won’t have a company to work for
Pros
Client care
Cons
Poor management, unprofessional behaviour, lack of integrity for the people who keep their business in business
1 October 2019
We are sorry to hear of your unhappy experience at WJS and thank you for sharing.

As a current employee, I encourage you to contact someone you trust in the organization, another Manager or Director, the Regional Service Director for your area or if you would like to follow up with our HR department regarding this experience, please contact me at sblyth@wjscanada.com and we will gladly discuss this confidentially.

You have the opportunity to help us build great leaders and an enjoyable work environment.
A truly awesome place to work
I have found working for WJS for the pass 15 years to be so rewarding. I get to be part of an organization that is making a positive difference in the lives of the people we serve, their families and communities.
1 October 2019
Thank you for 15 years as a member of our WJS Canada team!

Employees like you and your commitment to the people and families we serve is what makes WJS Canada a great place to work!
was very helpful, fun , good work environment
A typcial day at work was , working with youth who had trumer backgroung.what i learn was not to judge anyone .manageent was great and effective.work place culture was fear , accepting all cultural backgrounds ,the most enjoyable part of my job is to help youth and adult with barries.
Pros
gettig to assistance people who in need of help
Cons
building new relationships is very difficult.
1 October 2019
We’re happy to see such a kind review!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share these thoughts.

We appreciate all your efforts that help us change the lives of people who have experienced trauma in their lives or who have had to face various challenges.
The job is sometimes stressful and working alone can be challenging but a good team helps with this lots of training is offered and opportunities to move around
1 October 2019
Thank you for such an honest and informative review.
WJS Canada does offer a lot of training to our staff and we work with staff to achieve their career aspirations.

We are happy to know that you find this job rewarding and we’d love to hear more about what could make it even better!

Please send any comments to sblyth@wjscanada.com and thanks again for taking the time to share this experience with others.
Corrupt work environment
Terrible management! They tend to have each others backs, no support or care for staff.
No knowledge of what confidentiality is!!

Pays can differ, when and if they can properly pay employees.

Not worth any stars.
2 October 2019
We appreciate your honesty and are saddened to hear that you didn't feel that you were supported. At over 700 employees nationally, we don't want any employee to feel that they slipped through the cracks.

We would like to hear more about your experience and your thoughts on how it can be avoided for the future, please respond to sblyth@wjscanada.com so we can start a conversation.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at WJS Canada. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7