WJS Canada Employee Reviews

Terrible management...big egos
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Okanagan, BC4 October 2018
Having worked in the mental health field for over 20 years, I must admit that WJS was the worst company I have ever worked for...be careful before you work for this company...they are only interested in their profits...they are a for profit organization....SKIP THEM!!
Toxic supervisor
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Keewatin, ON20 September 2018
It appears that bullying is a way of management in this company in general I have read the other reviews and agree 100%.
At the Kenora site the supervisor is Moody and inappropriate towards staff and the youths they work with.
This company really needs to get their act together and supervise their staff properly. I know good people who work there and stay working there because they're passionate with the kids but the real fact is upper management is never around and the middle management is skilless
Pros
Cons
Too far to get to to get bullied by middle mgmnt
Cheap company, poor management
Supervisor/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2018
Company managers do poor job, non stop stuff bullying, putting their stuff down when making inappropriate comments on their meetings. This company is all about profit and money making. One of the client was going abroad for his holidays and company forced this individual to pay stuff member wages during this trip and stuff was paid only for half time looking over this individual. Workers are quieting as feel mistreated and taken advantage of. Do not go there as company would take financial advantage of you.
Pros
nothing
Cons
poor
Getting Out
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 July 2018
When I started with WJS I was so excited. It was not long before I realized that the culture is toxic. Helping jobs are tough especially when working with complex needs- add on a culture where improvement isn’t welcome- well...you should probably get out of the pool before you drown. I think if WJS truly wants to help people, it would seek out different opinions and look for ways to improve. There are so many unwritten rules here.
Pros
Clients, helping field
Cons
Long hours, low appreciation, low pay, physical risks
Not What I Thought It Would Be...
Administration (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta19 July 2018
I love this industry and the work I do however caring more about the people served than the company and leadership was a problem for me. Long hours, low pay, lack of recognition made it very difficult to feel valued.

Very surprised at how disrespectfully and openly the CEO speaks about others in the organization.
Pros
The work is very important for those served and has a significant impact on their lives
Cons
The higher ups at head office are so incredibly disconnected from the people, the CEO's poor attempts to make meaningful connections is evident in how she behaves during visits.
good place to work
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 June 2018
Good people to work with and in tune with staff needs a; lots of opportunities; lots of diversity. Working with both client and staff is great part of the day;
Team Lead/ Practice Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, AB21 August 2017
I enjoy my position with WJS in St Paul, AB and have worked as a visit supervisor, Intervention/Family Support worker, under the supervision of several different Team Leads. I took over the position of Team Lead/Lead Practice Specialist in 2014. I have worked to develop and supervise several different community offices for WJS and have trained and supervised new staff and practicum students from the local college. I would like to move to the Kootney's to be closer to family and hope to have a job before I move. .
Good work culture and very diverse
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Westlock, AB17 May 2017
I enjoyed working in this field. Very rewarding job and fulfilling. The management value their staff and making sure that there staff are well trained
Enjoyable Clients
Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vegreville, AB28 March 2017
The clients are very enthusiastic and value staff support, encouragement, their skill development and community inclusion and growth towards independence but staff lack professional skills and do not treat women respectfully.

The best practices for administration are not followed and it really is sad to see people with no skills are put into supervisory or management roles.

Management, supervisors and team leaders treat front line staff poorly, bullying or making life nasty for staff that advocate for client choice, suggest improvements, advocate for consistency and client centered focus.
Pros
Great clients
Cons
Best thing i ever did was leave
Family Support Worker (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB26 February 2017
I worked for this company for a few years. At first it was amazing, then they had a few changes which were bumpy. However when management expected me to breech ethics the ride went done hill from there. There were so many times where as a Frontline staff member we were unsupported. There was little to no training opportunities and inappropriate job advancement offers which did not set staff up for success.
Pros
Co workers, clients.
Cons
Poor management, very poor communication
Poor Management, unrealistic expectations
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB4 February 2017
The upper management of this office is atrocious, there is no respect or appreciation for frontline staff. There appears to be an expectation that staff are not to say no to any task, and there is little awareness of burn out of staff or creating a healthy work/life balance. Promising and necessary service within the community, but wholly disappointed with management and the inability to support staff members. Overall a disappointing experience with this organization
Pros
Clients, interagency communication
Cons
Emotional abuse, POOR management, disrespectful
Fun workplace
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC17 January 2017
I actually did my preceptorship at the adult day program at WJS in Langley. It was a lot of fun during my time there. The majority of the clients were independent. We did everything from trips to the library, parks as well as picking up garbage. I learnt how to properly deal with aggressive clients and also which clients are and aren't allowed to eat or what health conditions they have. Every morning we had to review and analyze clients charts and history reports.The staff was amazing and so were all the clients. I learnt a a lot from them. I would honestly have no problems working for them if given the chance to.
Low pay for lead specialist
Lead Specialist (Former Employee) –  Peace River, AB17 December 2016
significantly low pay for lead specialists compared to other organization. No allowance or insetives to live/work in smaller town.

I enjoyed working with clients
Pros
Great clients
Cons
Low pay - difficult to negotiate wage
Great concept, horrible management
NA (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB17 November 2016
Upper management is out of touch with front line . Unsupportive managers make it difficult to work with agency partners. Lots of bullying and emotional abuse happens without any way to report and not be punished.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Bullying, emotional abuse, management
Management Issues
Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vegreville, AB14 November 2016
A fun place to work with clients taking them out, but unfortunately management ignores problems with staff, which leads to huge problems. They hire non-professionals which results in hostile work environments and working with these people.
I enjoyed my work here very much .
Rehab aide for special needs (Former Employee) –  Vegreville2 November 2016
I love working with special needs adults ,
Loved helping them to have a happy day . Going out in public doing activities, it's very rewarding at the end of your day knowing you have made a difference in somebody's day .
Great Clients
Employee (Current Employee) –  Disability Services Worker13 October 2016
The clients are great but unfortunately management doesn't know how to deal with problems between employees because they don't know how to. Management sticks together to back each other up as most are friends and not professionals and don't possess leadership skills.
WJS Canada is a highly repreatable company that provides innovative individualize service to clients, community and families.
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2016
WJS Canada has always recognize its employee by giving them a gifts card to all staffs every year for their hard work. Gifts card amount vary from staffs to staff.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
I enjoyed my time with this company.
Casework Supervisor (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB19 July 2016
This is an excellent company to work for, they offer very good training opportunities and they take care of their workers very well. Career advancement is high on the priority list and every effort is made to assist workers attain their goals to this end. I would highly recommend this company to career seekers.
Interesting work environment
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, AB3 May 2016
Working as a support worker for adults with developmental and physical disabilities. Rewarding work but management can be quite problematic.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WJS Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8