WINNIPEG SCHOOL DIVISION Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Substitute Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 April 2018
I enjoy working for the Winnipeg School Division as a substitute educational assistant. I work in many different schools in many different areas of the city and learn so much from the diversity of students I work with.
Pros
Lots of schools across the city
Just do your work.
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 April 2018
Get to work 10-15 minutes early before shift to prep your things and talk to Head Caretaker about what other things needs to be done besides your workload. Lots of people to talk to during the day and some on evening. Makes it feel less lonely. Some schools you work alone in the evening and must call a designated school every 2 hours. Friendly and welcoming staff.
Pros
Plenty of Overtime. Weekends off
Cons
Parking
A rather toxic environment to work in
Teacher (Substitute and Term) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 April 2018
Generally, I would receive a call to substitute that day, sometimes in enough time to get there on time, sometimes not. Some teachers would leave a lesson plan, some wouldn't. The workplace culture of that school was usually determined by the principal. Some schools were great to work with , others, it was a struggle to get through the day. The hardest part of the job was knowing there was nothing I could do to advance to a full time position. There was no formula, procedure, time frame, nothing to help a substitute teacher become full time. It appeared to be a preferential appointment. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching those who really wanted to learn.
Pros
work for at least one day
Cons
paying for benefits and getting none
Excellent pay and good pension
Office Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 April 2018
Performed clerical and administrative duties for principal, vice principal and teachers. Responsible for registering new students into the school and answering phone calls. I learned to understand student's well being and their behaviors. I learned to be more respectful towards students regardless of their age. Very hard to deal with administrative. Management is complicated. The hardest part of the job is to deal with unhappy parents.The most enjoyable part of my job is to see different ethnic group coming in to register their children.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Long Sitting
Great Environment
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 February 2018
Good place to work at. Everyone is kind and is actually interested in hearing your opinions. The students are enhance in learning. It feels like a community.
helped kids with activities and thier work to help them learn
helper (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 February 2018
helped kids worked when they were stuck or having trouble with their work. i would read to kids and help teach them how to read. would also help the teacher with activities with the kids.
Pros
meet some awesome kids from volenteering
Cons
0 pay
Productive environment full of teamwork staff.
Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 February 2018
Helped and assisted students throughout the days.
Learned the different behaviours amongst elementary students.
Most enjoyable part was assisting the students with their academic work.
Good division
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 January 2018
This diverse division is a good place to work with children of varying needs. You can work full time when on the sub list. Once they get to know you, you will be called back.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
hard to get on permanent
fun workplace
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 January 2018
it was an an awesome time which I spent there. I really miss my staff of Winnipeg school division. They are very cooperative, friendly and trust worthy.,
Pros
organised different tours to make a healthy relationship between students and teachers.
Cons
nil
Laid back
Custodial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2018
Upon my graduation from high school I was hired by the Winnipeg School Division as a Custodial Assistant shortly thereafter. During which I would perform my cleaning duties as directed by my supervisor.
overall I really enjoyed having the oppurtunity to work with the Winnipeg School Division.
High School Employee (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 November 2017
Winnipeg School Division was a nice, safe working environment, I enjoyed what I was doing and the employees were friendly and as outgoing. I felt comfortable around my coworkers.
Best job you’ll ever have
Grounds Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 November 2017
Super chill, you drive around the city maintaining the division’s property, performing tasks such as; pruning, weedwacking, hauling big loads of debris, and sodding. Lots of freedom and easygoing coworkers.
Ea
Educational Assistant (level D) (Former Employee) –  Beausejour and Whitemouth8 August 2017
Unfortunately there was changes happening in the program I was working in. I transferred positions and my hours changed, so the drive to Winnipeg was harder to accommodate for.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Far drive
Rewarding work place
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 May 2017
I have always enjoyed working for this division. They make it known that you are valued and make sure you feel like part of a team while you are working for them.
over all good.
Caretaker (Former Employee) –  wpg mb4 May 2017
It is busy. most people are good to work with. hours are part time. over all its an ok place to work. Paid bi monthly. Not sure what else to tell you. Thank you
Pros
Your working.
Cons
Paid Bi monthly
Great teamwork
Special Education Resource Teacher (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 April 2017
Largest school division ....78 schools,over 33,000 students from Nursery through Grade 12
Winnipeg School Division is on the educational forefront of inclusiveness, diversity, substainability,innovation and partnerships.
WSD Strategic Framework- it's Purpose,Vision, Values,and Strategic Priorities -forms co-hesive framework to guide decision making by WSD Trustees,administrators, teachers and staff.
Strategic Priorities; Students, Learning Outcomes, Addressing Barriers to Learning, Employees, Fiscal Responsibility, Communication and Partnerships with Community and Substainability
Pros
Human Rights events for students ...diverse school division
Cons
great place to start work and the staff are always welcoming
Assisted the teacher (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 March 2017
great place to work, awesome and caring staff and people , you always feel welcome , it fits in with you time table and you choose what work you want.
Excellent orgaization
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 February 2017
I've advanced three times in 15 years of employment, taken a lot of professional development and love my job! Staff is fantastic, from custodians to superintendents. Schools are a great atmosphere to work in and watch children flourish.
Experience in the division
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 February 2017
I am very thankful to Winnipeg School Division 1 for giving me the opportunity to come back in the school setup after I migrated here 4 years ago, then later on gave me a shot to go back in the classroom setting as a Substitute Teacher. I grew up a lot professionally and personally because of the experience I acquired during my tenure in the division.
a lot of options and step up with The Winnipeg School Division
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 January 2017
- Front desk management
- Student record management
- Receiving of incoming mail/outgoing mail
- Library position started September 2016 part-time - a.m. only