WINNIPEG SCHOOL DIVISION Employee Reviews

Huge school division with many job assignment to pick up.
Substitute Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 June 2019
When there is an assembly and I have to prepare the student what they gonna have in the assembly. I learned to good in managing the students during the assembly. I talk to them ahead of time what attitude is expected during the assembly. I can work with student from different cultural background and I use to understand each of them. It is so hard when there are many adjustment and get ready to deal with different student with different attitudes. I enjoy working with the students when they are in need to work in the gym.
Pros
Fair treatment
Cons
Favouritism
Education
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 March 2019
Winnipeg school, supporting students with special needs with assignment, recess, and classroom setting activities. i also supervised students during recess
Pros
school
Cons
4 hours
excellent place to be, in a learning environment
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 February 2019
Assisting young learners, our future leaders.
Had so much fun, was an amazing experience!
Met some very amazing teachers.
The hardest part of the job was students that were not ready to learn, as many difficulties in their home lives.
Pros
met some amazing people
Cons
At risk youth
Nice place to work, paid breaks
Class II-Clerk, Educational Assistant C (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 January 2019
A great place to work. Staff/employees in the schools are all friendly and nice to work with (depends on the school or office you would be assigned).
Pros
good pay
Cons
no benefits for the substitutes or term employees, term and casual employees have little room for improvement, or promotion
Great Job
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 October 2018
Love this job I don't particularly want to go into any great detail about my job on here. Suffice it to say that I am happy and have nothing but good things to say.
Clerk secretary
Receptionist Clerical (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 August 2018
Very few 12 month positions Mainly 10 month positions with mandatory layoffs

Advancement limited even if you have seniority as emphasis placed on standardized tests. Generally many clerical staff are now sitting in positions because even with 15 years experience in the division you now have to jump through hoops to progress.

Test are for Excel and Word have a goal is at a advanced level ...that many clerical staff in the division do not use excel even weekly beyond a beginner level and word limited to a few notices or memos per week ...the testing software used has a practice section but it is not available via school division and costs you money $75 usd monthly if you want to practice in advance via a third party online website and you need on a desktop computer not a MacBook or Mac and is not the same versions as currently used on the division PCs
practice on a laptop which 70% of people now only have at home is awkward and hard on you wrists etc.
The tests are visually hard to read ie for typing test Screen type very very small ...for the excell and word most people memorize the steps on YouTube for the excel and word tests. In the test you get no feedback and you can only answer the way the program wants it answered not any of the other ways ie right click or control keys, if you make a mistake you may be required to go back to the beginning of a section...if You realize you made a mistake you cannot back up and redo the question.

If you get below the thresholds they want you won’t get shortlisted even if you have years of seniority or years of experience
  more... that relates directly to the posting outside of the school division.

There is Limited extra training provided for school division programs and only if they are part of your current position...don’t expect to learn skills to advance. There is seldom a over lap in your start date and the person leavings end date so no opportunity for training and sometimes your colleagues of a lesser job classification knows more than you and wad passed up for the position.

No information about professional development beyond your job role or career development assistance.
Pros
Summer and school breaks off, good benefits, and pension
Cons
Summer and school breaks off “without pay” only good if you have a second or third household income
Good place to work, challenging yet more rooms to learn for growth
Class II-Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 July 2018
Good place to work, nice staff to work with, high pay rate for starters, challenging work and more rooms to learn more for growth and development, there is flexibility in job duties
Pros
starting pay rate is good, nice people/staff to work with
Cons
no health benefits package for the substitutes, not easy to have a permanent full time job, priority is given to permanent staff only
Productive and Fun workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 May 2018
My first year working with Winnipeg one I was a labourer being supervised and took initiative when I had seen opportunity to do so. Being a student in High School the direct supervisors were university students. Approximately half way through the summer I had been selected to lead my own team seeing as I had a drivers licence and took initiative when on working sites.
Great Place to Work
Substitute Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 April 2018
I enjoy working for the Winnipeg School Division as a substitute educational assistant. I work in many different schools in many different areas of the city and learn so much from the diversity of students I work with.
Pros
Lots of schools across the city
Just do your work.
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 April 2018
Get to work 10-15 minutes early before shift to prep your things and talk to Head Caretaker about what other things needs to be done besides your workload. Lots of people to talk to during the day and some on evening. Makes it feel less lonely. Some schools you work alone in the evening and must call a designated school every 2 hours. Friendly and welcoming staff.
Pros
Plenty of Overtime. Weekends off
Cons
Parking
A rather toxic environment to work in
Teacher (Substitute and Term) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 April 2018
Generally, I would receive a call to substitute that day, sometimes in enough time to get there on time, sometimes not. Some teachers would leave a lesson plan, some wouldn't. The workplace culture of that school was usually determined by the principal. Some schools were great to work with , others, it was a struggle to get through the day. The hardest part of the job was knowing there was nothing I could do to advance to a full time position. There was no formula, procedure, time frame, nothing to help a substitute teacher become full time. It appeared to be a preferential appointment. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching those who really wanted to learn.
Pros
work for at least one day
Cons
paying for benefits and getting none
Excellent pay and good pension
Office Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 April 2018
Performed clerical and administrative duties for principal, vice principal and teachers. Responsible for registering new students into the school and answering phone calls. I learned to understand student's well being and their behaviors. I learned to be more respectful towards students regardless of their age. Very hard to deal with administrative. Management is complicated. The hardest part of the job is to deal with unhappy parents.The most enjoyable part of my job is to see different ethnic group coming in to register their children.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Long Sitting
Great Environment
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 February 2018
Good place to work at. Everyone is kind and is actually interested in hearing your opinions. The students are enhance in learning. It feels like a community.
helped kids with activities and thier work to help them learn
helper (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 February 2018
helped kids worked when they were stuck or having trouble with their work. i would read to kids and help teach them how to read. would also help the teacher with activities with the kids.
Pros
meet some awesome kids from volenteering
Cons
0 pay
Productive environment full of teamwork staff.
Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 February 2018
Helped and assisted students throughout the days.
Learned the different behaviours amongst elementary students.
Most enjoyable part was assisting the students with their academic work.
Good division
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 January 2018
This diverse division is a good place to work with children of varying needs. You can work full time when on the sub list. Once they get to know you, you will be called back.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
hard to get on permanent
fun workplace
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 January 2018
it was an an awesome time which I spent there. I really miss my staff of Winnipeg school division. They are very cooperative, friendly and trust worthy.,
Pros
organised different tours to make a healthy relationship between students and teachers.
Cons
nil
Laid back
Custodial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2018
Upon my graduation from high school I was hired by the Winnipeg School Division as a Custodial Assistant shortly thereafter. During which I would perform my cleaning duties as directed by my supervisor.
overall I really enjoyed having the oppurtunity to work with the Winnipeg School Division.
High School Employee (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 November 2017
Winnipeg School Division was a nice, safe working environment, I enjoyed what I was doing and the employees were friendly and as outgoing. I felt comfortable around my coworkers.
Best job you’ll ever have
Grounds Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 November 2017
Super chill, you drive around the city maintaining the division’s property, performing tasks such as; pruning, weedwacking, hauling big loads of debris, and sodding. Lots of freedom and easygoing coworkers.