Winnipeg Regional Health Authority

Canada156 reviews

Clear
3.8Pay & benefits

winnipegclienthealthcommunitypatientcarerewardingsupportive

Some great people benefits are nil but you don’t pay for them some offices have a toxic culture

Worked for the company just shy of 5 years. Started off great won’t get full time unless your there for a while or unless u snag an area no one wants. Lots of phone calls even if your off the clock they call and ur expected to answer. Lots of politics and toxicity in some of the offices you’ll notice the higher turnover rates. Lack of staffing so they’ll jam more people into your schedule. Overall it’s not bad if you like driving around all day and being on the phone clients can be quite challenging with not a lot of back up from upper management when you have an abusive one

Pros

Stability and freedom, unions decent and good out in the field workers

Cons

Takes a while to move up and work culture can be toxic, benefits suck

WRHA is not for me

a company that has no regard for its employees. you are a number, not a person. no matter how long you've worked for them, you are just a replaceable warm body.

Pros

paid vacation, sick days, job security

Cons

everything else

Insights into Winnipeg Regional Health Authority

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Time and location flexibility

Great place to work and you do have supportive co workers and managment that is willing to help you. Schedule is very flexible also downside is work is based on senority

Pros

Co workers, free lunch

Cons

Senority

Used to be better working here but everything has become about numbers and making policies which don't take into account the front line workers

This used to an OK company to work for now communication only happens with certain employees by management while others are not told important changes to policy only to find out later. Those in leadership or management tend to be hired from outside the organization or have little experience while others are passed over or not granted an interview. The pandemic hasn't made any of this easier with people adopting their own policies around "working from home".

Pros

The salary is quite competitve, some genuinely good employees who care about the patients they serve

Cons

Incompetent managers, bad leadership, leadership rewards their friends and those with the same beliefs and culture as them, leadership lies about how decisions are made.

Overworked and Underpaid

Poor Management, they really don’t have a clue what the staff deal with and don’t care about the clients. Their priorities are the little things you don’t do rather than the good you DO. Working 7-9 hrs and only getting paid for 5-7….no premiums for working evenings and lousy benefits !!!

Pros

None really…..private sector is better

Cons

Everything …..but helping clients is most rewarding

Stressful and political

My biss was very political. Also every report I did I did not receive credit for it. We worked for an Indigenous department. The entire team was hard at times because of the lack of understanding of the culture and the communities.

Benefits

Cons

Political

No communication

Absolutely zero communication and it’s impossible to get full time employment which you need in order to make any money. Half the cheque is gone for union fees etc, you don’t make money unless you’re working full time so be prepared to work many years before you see any earnings.

It’s a job

A large entity gives you options to move but can be limiting due to circumstance. Working at different sites in different positions was challenging and rewarding but the messaging that comes from the executive level doesn’t seem to support inclusion, growth, equity. The pathway seems too narrow and the feel is like high school. Not all are of this mindset. There are great managers and directors there were also bad ones. Lost many colleagues with great skill and potential. Sadly the greatest compliment is to eliminate your supposed competition - employees or coworkers that do your job better - at any cost and squash what goes against you or the culture you promote. It gives benefits, stability-usually if that’s what you need then it’s for you. If you are looking for fulfilment and to change the world 🌎 don’t stay too long. This place will break you and that dream .

Pros

Building seniority, can move sites positions

Cons

Parking/Corporate Culture/Inequality in ethnicity for patients and employees

Nice company

Working with WRHA is great if you have the willingness to help other people and not just because you just want a good pay. No full time schedules but you can pick up extra hours if you wish. Benefits are not that great though.

Decent place to work

Stressful at times but generally a good place to work. It is a steady income and the management team is helpful. Decent salary and benefits.I would recommend this job to other people.

supportive workplace

Work within the health community, supporting clients with system navigation. Self Referral and Referral from other recourses. My typical workday involves community development and health promotion. Management is very supportive and involved when required. I enjoy the workplace and coworkers are wonderful and positive. The most enjoyable part of my job is individual support to clients who require system support. A very good place to work, Job security, benefits, and supportive workplace

Unmanageable workloads, high stress, good pay and vacation

one of the biggest staff complaints during last contract negotiation was high workloads. Since then, the WRHA has been I the midst of a company wide health care change. Everyone I know has had their already overextended workload DOUBLED or more. This trend seems to be increasing, not settling. Loved my job when I first started, but last few years have made it an extremely stressful, toxic environment to work in.

Pros

Decent salary, good vacation hours

Cons

unmanageable workloads

What i think of WRHA

I worked for WRHA for 12 yrs when I got sick I received only short term benefits and when that was done I was only a number. They never asked if I could go back to light duties and just terminated my positions. Thanks WRHA

Pros

There r done

Cons

U have to take what theu give u if not your on the black book.

Productive & Fun Workplace

- Management is easy to communicate with. - Since I go to school full time, being a casual employee here is very easy. They are very flexible. - They train you very well - Amazing co-workers

Pros

Good pay, Flexible casual hours

Cons

Working Nights

Management is not collaborative with staff

Staff are often given direction or rules that are contradictory, told to make decisions using their judgement and then staff are told they are in trouble and they should have followed the rules. Very frustrating organization to work for.

Pros

Great pay and benefits are really comprehensive

Cons

Management/Government/PowersThatBe

Benefits and salary are good

I like working here. The salary and benefits are good. My coworkers and supervisor are supportive. Teamwork is very important in our work and it makes my job enjoyable.

One of the only companies that hire RN's in Winnipeg

This company is provincially funded and taxpayers are the ones paying the wages. Not much to choose from but still a decent place to work for in Canada.

Pros

Public Health pays Nurse IV wages

Cons

ER Nurses make Nurse II wages

stressful

supervisors are impossible to get a hold of. expectations are high and managerial support are lacking, often not given enough time to complete tasks. benefits are not great.

Lots of work with very little time

While home care does do great work they have cut down the time they allow us with clients and the travel time is too short.I always felt very rushed. Tho it is very nice when your clients say thank you and that they really appreciate your help

Ok but not worth to stay

homecare work was too much, have to see lofs of client for a little time. Supervisors /RC are mean they smile in front of you but hhye are back stabbers. Benefits sucks for homecare workers. Cannot use as work refference supervisors in homecare wont even respond to a work reference.

Pros

Cons

Full of backstabbers especially RC

Wondering work place with many Opportunities

WRHA in Churchill gave me experience and hope in better future! My directors ,supervisors and managers was great team and always answered on my Questions and helped me if I had a problem! I learned so much in this 9 years ! I couldn’t speak English when I start in housekeeping,then cafeteria,daycare and finally I got job that I loved so much,Activities Worker at The LTC. Enjoyed working with elders and learned a lot from them! I hope go back to what I love doing and work for WRHA again in Winnipeg.

benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Winnipeg Regional Health Authority. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement