Wine Rack Employee Reviews

Great Work Experience
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON29 April 2017
Coworkers and management were always friendly and helpful. It was a fun and friendly environment to work in. The wine tasting was the best part of the job and really helped to learn more about wines and better assist the customers with recommendations.
Dying store
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2017
A failing business model that may have worked before every grocery store started selling wine. Limited selection of products you are expected to push onto people. Serious script you need to follow and are graded on monthly. Zero chance for promotion unless you consider 20 cents an hour a promotion. Head office is stuck in the 90s, as is the computer you work on that crashes daily.
Pros
Free wine
Cons
Minimum wage with zero raises
Sales
Sales (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON29 March 2017
Required to wear silly vest and wave a sign in the air. The in store contests were very good and they would send you home with 'homework'. Overall was a decent job.
Overall a fun place to work but head office can be difficult to work with
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Grimsby, ON7 March 2017
A great place to work when you have good co-workers. Head office is more difficult to deal with in the Niagara district. A very easy job to learn. Very good for students or retirees looking for a few extra hours here and there.
Pros
Free wine
Cons
Short shifts, minimum wage
good team moral
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON24 January 2017
the wine rack was a good company to work for the only problem was there was not enough hours and it would get way to slow at night. after 7pm it was dead
Friendly Atmosphere with an upbeat dynamic
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON21 November 2016
A great place to work with friendly coworkers and customers. Everyone is a team player and provides excellent management.
Laid back job if you're willing to ignore some nonsense.
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 November 2016
In many ways it is an alright part time job. Generally pretty easy and laid back. The customers are usually amusing and nice to talk to, same with most of your coworkers. It can be sorta fun to sell wine to customers, and even to try to up sell, since most people who come through the doors are open to trying what you suggest. Also it seems as if it is not too difficult to move up to management positions if you've been there a few years and do a decent job. For most people it is just a few hours on the side to make some extra money, so don't take it too seriously (The pay is extremely low, don't expect to make a living off your wages).

However, the upper management (district managers) and those in head office are certainly out of touch and don't respect front line staff at all. For example, bring up the "grape suit" to most hourly employees and you will get an earful. Demanding that worker to wear a giant purple or green spandex suit filled with balloons is demeaning and insulting.

You are also expected to follow a script with every customer that inevitably makes you come across false, wooden and pushy, rather than genuinely helpful. They rate your smile even, which again, seems insulting. Head office sends in what are essentially undercover spies to make sure you are following their script to the T, breeding a culture of paranoia at work.

Most of the schemes coming out of head office only serve to bewilder customers, frustrate store managers and alienate hourly associates.

Nevertheless, I would recommend working at wine rack, it is not terrible, especially if you
  more... have a store manager that shelters you a bit from the nonsense being spewed from the district managers and head office. Just don't take it too seriously, even if they do.  less
Pros
Nice customers, great coworkers, easy sales.
Cons
Out of touch upper management, low pay
_
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 June 2016
Reasonable retail work environment with flexible time commitment. Plenty of opportunity to learn about the world of wine and fruit-based beverages.
Failling business model
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 April 2016
Head Office said everything was fine and good, nothing to worry about. Direct management told staff to get out and most stores are failing and the company can't turn them around. It had fun customers and great products but 20 year told technology and head office was not in a hurry to update. Most supplies and equipment paid for and supplied by the store management.
Pros
Free Wine, Yearly conference.
Cons
Overtime with no pay, working holidays no pay, no supplies must by yourself.
Overall a good working environment
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 March 2016
It's a good working environment and the people are great to work with. I enjoy working here, because for the most part I am on my own; I learn new things about wine and wine paring.
fun place to work
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2016
Management at store level is fantastic and district level. above that they are naive to what happens in store and go purely by numbers without considering location problems and staffs needs.
Pros
Free Wine to know product
Cons
Full- time isnt possible, avoiding paying benefits, hard to maintain living costs
Small boutique store with wide sleection of good products
Sales Clerk and Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 December 2015
Ensured that inventory levels were well maintained and that customers were always able to find the right wine for the right occasion.
Had a lot of individual freedom to ensure the day-to-day operations went smoothly.
Managing co-workers could be challenging as there were many part-time staff and there was the constant need to share and balance individual schedules to ensure the store was adequately staffed - this would be prove to be the hardest part of the job.
Being able to provide customers with what they were looking for, even if they did not know at first, was always rewarding - allowed for many repeat customers.
Pros
Small, intimate work setting
Cons
Mostly only part-time hours available
horrible place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 November 2015
would never recommend them to anyone, people are rude and ignorant , a lot of work harassment and people steal from the till all the time
Great atomsphere for first time managers
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2015
This is definitely a good starting point if you wish to have a store manager position. this is the type of job for assistant managers who want to take that next step too store manager.
Productive and fun workplace
Wine Enthusiest (Current Employee) –  Wasaga Beach22 September 2015
Either open or close the store. Balance cash and do bank deposit. Make sure all reports are filled out.. Continue with stocking shelves, offering customers samples of what is on tasting schedule, helping with decision making as to which type of wine to choose. Sell and promote what wines are on sale, mentioning the savings on buying a case. Greet customers and engage in friendly service.
Shifts are varied and we are currently working without a manager. The hardest part of the job is cutting someone off because of the fear that they may become volatile. But we have had training on this subject and are well versed in what to do. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the customers and working alongside my collegues and learning from them as well.
Great Part-Time Job for Students
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2015
I had a great experience working at the WineRack! Its a great place for students and young adults to work. Great Hours. Its your typical part-time job. You learn a lot about canadian wine and its culture, which is really interesting!
Pros
Learn about Wine Culture
Cons
Scheduling
I also say Run, Run, Run
Wine Merchant (former employee) (Former Employee) –  Danforth & Victoria park10 September 2015
The manager seemed great however I came to realize she was very passive aggressive and when I mentioned unsafe work conditions ( stacking cases of 6 1.5 ltr boxes on top rack) she implied that I was lazy. I informed her that I knew my rights and I wasn't some uninformed college kid who didn't know any better. I was also uncomfortable with the way she and the other members of the team watched customers who were non white. I was the only person of colour on staff. Perhaps if she spent more time on the job then taking selfies she could hold on to staff.
Pros
free bottle of wine
Cons
passive aggressive manager, low pay for back breaking labour
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON15 July 2015
Very seldom do I ever become friends with my co-workers. At Wine Rack I could. Good people. Good wine. I as amazed at how little I knew about wine and the wine industry until I worked her.
Run while you can
Wine merchant (Former Employee) –  Woodstock23 May 2015
RUN!

When I first started with this company it had lots of promise.
Shortly afterwards I discovered that they expect you to move mountains for just shy of minimum wage and have a shady backhanded way of managing their employees.

Management is only as good as the team they have working for them. Its a simple philosophy really. You want your employees to be successful to make you successful. Basic math man.

Management is encouraged to spy, YES SPY on all its employees.
Who wants to work under a constant microscope in fear of your job?
NO ONE! Specially for minimum wage.

If you cannot trust your wine merchants fire them. Why hire anyone at all if you have to linger around the store looking for mistakes they make.
Pros
Free Wine sometimes
Cons
Drama!, Lots and lots of Drama, backhanded management, shady, very little encouragement, untrustworthy, fake.
Not that great
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Brampton & Mississauga ON21 May 2015
The first few years were good but towards the end of my 3 years everything went downhill.

Management is pretty much a revolving door.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wine Rack. Our community is ready to answer.