Wine Rack Management reviews

A fine place to work
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2019
The wine rack is a fine place to work. But it’s just that; fine. Don’t count on getting your breaks or having team members that support each other because entire staff, excluding management, is part time and will usually have other jobs. The company is constantly understaffed and switches managers around constantly. On the plus side, you will never be fired because the company is completely unwilling to fire anyone even if they are a danger or a nuisance. That being said, the staff is usually the best part of the job along with fun events and regulars that will eventually make your heart happy. I can’t say there’s anything horrible about working here. There’s certainly room for improvement.
Pros
Customers are great
Cons
No breaks
Toxic environment; mostly great staff interactions
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2019
Expérience will vary from store to store but overall the WR life is more difficult than it’s worth. Customers can be good and friendly, but can also be abusive and harassing. Same for management. Good wine training but managers are generally incompetent and self serving. They’re under a lot of pressure from head office who don’t have a clue. HR is a joke. You get wine once or twice a month. Easy to make friends but be wary of the work/life boundaries, because there won’t be any. Apply to the LCBO. Anyone working this job should get paid fairly for it and WR is only minimum, with very low hours.
Pros
Wine, good interactions, flexible hours
Cons
Clueless management, safety issues, toxicity, very low pay, culty
Not a great place to work for me
Wine Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2019
It's a fun part-time job if you don't need to work full-time to sustain yourself. You're mostly standing around the entire day giving out samples to random people that walk by. The Customers are nice and the staff is pretty cool and you do learn a bit about wine. The training isn't the greatest though and the management isn't really that engaged unless they're on shift. There isn't really much of a job culture, or at least not at the location I worked. Working alone is probably the hardest part because you don't always feel safe as a female with the kind of clientele that comes at night. I enjoyed working with most of the staff and customers, it's and it's a laid back environment. What really bothers me the most is I've worked hard for a year to get a CEC position to get guaranteed 25 hours for nothing! They want to cut my hours because of their silly part-time policies, I don't feel valued as an employee. After how hard I worked and how much initiative I took to prove myself, this is how they reward me. SMH
Pros
Easy and laid back, fun pretty easy going customers mostly, friendly staff
Cons
Not enough hours, Low pay, Not enough training, No career advancement unless you have a great manager who wants to help you grow, No consistency, Not enough management engagement, can get boring sometimes.
Safe your self and apply elsewhere
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 April 2019
Management/head office is a joke. They expect you to do so much but the pay isn’t great and no benefits. They ask for your availability, yet still schedule you outside of that. There’s no work/life balance, unless you book it off and lose hours.
Pros
Co workers and free wine
Cons
Patchy experience for wine merchants
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON21 December 2018
Actual job role was enjoyable. Many friendly regular customers. Employees learn a lot about wine and how to help a customer choose from different varieties. New employees receive a selection of free wines to teach them the flavour profiles of different varieties, and new products often get a free issue bottle as well. Dress code is flexible (most business casual clothing, several colours permitted). Giving out samples is a big part of the job, and drawing in passers-by with friendly patter and an offered sample can be a lot of fun for outgoing personality types.

However, expectations of the employee are completely different depending on which manager or executive happens to be in the store. Aggressive upselling is sometimes expected ($30 bottle when the customer asks for a $10 bottle). Company claims to respect workers' rights and mental health, but asking for any health-related accommodation results in scorn and reduced shifts. Some managers are fair and personable, but abusive managers are allowed to do as they please, even after formal HR reports are made against them. And getting enough hours to live on is difficult, with the company's recent pressure on managers to avoid giving shifts longer than 4 hours.

I'd recommend the job as a casual part-time position for building a resume, or if you're personally interested in learning about wine. Just be prepared to learn several sets of rules and switch depending on which higher-ups are present, and don't expect any bad apples to actually be dealt with.
Pros
Free bottles of wine, real education about wine
Cons
Erratic job expectations, limited respect for workers' health and rights
Probably the worst job I've ever had
Wine Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 November 2018
Stay away from wine rack specially in westboro. Honestly I did like my job, it was a great learning opportunity and I met amazing people. Sadly, no matter how hard you work, you're never rewarded. I gave my life to that company. Did so much work and got nothing back. What did I get ? I get 6 different managers in 1 year aand a half and most of them have no clue what they're doing. Most of them quit or get transferred to other stores. The westboro store is completely ignored by head office, they always promised to show up and help us but they never did. They always failed to come and see us or help us in any way. Everytime we sent them pictures of our store they never published them in their newsletter. The managers - mostly great ones but some are micromanagers. You'll get yelled at for a few cents above minimum wage, no surprise nowadays but not fair in any way. I loved my job but they never gave anyone a chance, and sadly it's like that at most stores. You can't work your way up. I was there for almost 2 years and tried to work my way up but was denied that due to the lack of communication between head office and other managers and probably them just not wanting to promote me in anyway. Over worked and under paid. The amount of money I spent out of pocket for that store to be great is absolutely sad and I hope they know they lost and are losing great, hard working employees.
Pros
You get free wine most of the time
Cons
Crapp hours, micro managed, very unstable
Do not reccommend
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Paris, ON6 November 2018
No work/life balance, difficult to advance within company, empty promises from head office, no job security.
Manager is unprofessional and gossips about employees, I was made to feel uncomfortable on many occasions
Pros
Cons
all
WineRack Culture
Sales Associate, Key holder (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 October 2018
Working for this company was not a bad experience entirely. I worked with a lot of amazing people. The problem was that upper management did not follow through on serious complaints or suggestions regarding store environment or middle management problems. Unfortunately, I had a great start with amazing management and staff and later when management changed there were ethical and professional problems not addressed by upper management. Since I left those persons who were unprofessional and disrespectful have left the company. Sadly, it took many employees leaving before the company did anything about the problems. Anyone not management does not have a voice and is considered expendable, unless they plan to spend the rest of their life working for the company. Notice I said for and not with.
fun
sales (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2018
a fun place to work in to learn about wine, awesome opportunities that are given. great management. it is a good part time job where you can do other things and learn.
Great Lower management,
CEC/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 June 2018
Your direct manager in store is great and encouraging but upper management is not encouraging or supportive. Great discounts and incentives, but more could be done for staff satisfaction.
Cons
Working alone
Wine Rack is an excellent place to start a career in Retail
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 May 2018
Wine Rack is an excellent place to learn and develop a worth wile career. There are many programs to get involved in that will help develop and tone your management skills.
Pros
It's the type of business to start a career in
Cons
Management lax initiative to develop people. One needs to learn how to do it themselves
Great company if only looking for minimal hours.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario23 March 2018
Fun customers, great products but they are not innovative or interested in keeping up on the latest market trends. Not transparent with staff, and, there is a true disconnect between upper management and store level. Extremely poor reviews given to keep raises minimal. Store managers are not making much more than merchants and no raises are given that are adequate to the cost of living increases felt in today's world. If you Google what the top people are making though, it will blow your mind. Great job if you are semi retired or just looking for a few hours here and there with free wine from time to time.
Pros
Free wine
Cons
No appreciation of employees sacrifices. No chance for moderate income.
Unreasonable goals and unhelpful upper management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON24 February 2018
Nope, nope, nope.

This company has no regard for the physical and mental health or welfare of its managers and wine merchants.

I've worked in retail for 25 years. This company is less organized than most.
Pros
Wine
Cons
Low pay
great place
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 November 2017
great place to work, learned a lot of great work experience.

very warm and welcoming environment even the higher up management would come to stores and work and learn more about their employees.
Hostile, dishonest, corrupt and poor-paying.
Sales associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 July 2017
Awful, abusive, disorganized and inhumane. Not one person I know who works there wants to work there. Intense pressure for sales drives customers away, and the shortage of hours for a living wage makes for a hostile, gossipy work environment to steal others hours.
They make you take a Customer Excellence Certification program, and it's essentially an assistant manager position with a promise of a maximum of 30 hours, no pay raise, and you have to do the 20 hours of so of training on your own time, for free.

Worst place I have ever worked at.
Pros
Free wine
Cons
Not enough hours for a living wage, constant sales pressure and abuse.
Great Work Experience
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON29 April 2017
Coworkers and management were always friendly and helpful. It was a fun and friendly environment to work in. The wine tasting was the best part of the job and really helped to learn more about wines and better assist the customers with recommendations.
Friendly Atmosphere with an upbeat dynamic
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON21 November 2016
A great place to work with friendly coworkers and customers. Everyone is a team player and provides excellent management.
Laid back job if you're willing to ignore some nonsense.
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 November 2016
In many ways it is an alright part time job. Generally pretty easy and laid back. The customers are usually amusing and nice to talk to, same with most of your coworkers. It can be sorta fun to sell wine to customers, and even to try to up sell, since most people who come through the doors are open to trying what you suggest. Also it seems as if it is not too difficult to move up to management positions if you've been there a few years and do a decent job. For most people it is just a few hours on the side to make some extra money, so don't take it too seriously (The pay is extremely low, don't expect to make a living off your wages).

However, the upper management (district managers) and those in head office are certainly out of touch and don't respect front line staff at all. For example, bring up the "grape suit" to most hourly employees and you will get an earful. Demanding that worker to wear a giant purple or green spandex suit filled with balloons is demeaning and insulting.

You are also expected to follow a script with every customer that inevitably makes you come across false, wooden and pushy, rather than genuinely helpful. They rate your smile even, which again, seems insulting. Head office sends in what are essentially undercover spies to make sure you are following their script to the T, breeding a culture of paranoia at work.

Most of the schemes coming out of head office only serve to bewilder customers, frustrate store managers and alienate hourly associates.

Nevertheless, I would recommend working at wine rack, it is not terrible, especially if you
  more... have a store manager that shelters you a bit from the nonsense being spewed from the district managers and head office. Just don't take it too seriously, even if they do.  less
Pros
Nice customers, great coworkers, easy sales.
Cons
Out of touch upper management, low pay
Failling business model
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 April 2016
Head Office said everything was fine and good, nothing to worry about. Direct management told staff to get out and most stores are failing and the company can't turn them around. It had fun customers and great products but 20 year told technology and head office was not in a hurry to update. Most supplies and equipment paid for and supplied by the store management.
Pros
Free Wine, Yearly conference.
Cons
Overtime with no pay, working holidays no pay, no supplies must by yourself.
fun place to work
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2016
Management at store level is fantastic and district level. above that they are naive to what happens in store and go purely by numbers without considering location problems and staffs needs.
Pros
Free Wine to know product
Cons
Full- time isnt possible, avoiding paying benefits, hard to maintain living costs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wine Rack. Our community is ready to answer.