Wine Rack Employee Reviews in Toronto, ON

Fun Place to work
Customer Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 May 2019
Fun place to work if you enjoy talking to people & short shifts. Point of sale system could be improved & there is a disconnect from corporate but I enjoy working here.
Pros
Free Wine
Toxic environment; mostly great staff interactions
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2019
Expérience will vary from store to store but overall the WR life is more difficult than it’s worth. Customers can be good and friendly, but can also be abusive and harassing. Same for management. Good wine training but managers are generally incompetent and self serving. They’re under a lot of pressure from head office who don’t have a clue. HR is a joke. You get wine once or twice a month. Easy to make friends but be wary of the work/life boundaries, because there won’t be any. Apply to the LCBO. Anyone working this job should get paid fairly for it and WR is only minimum, with very low hours.
Pros
Wine, good interactions, flexible hours
Cons
Clueless management, safety issues, toxicity, very low pay, culty
Not a great place to work for me
Wine Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2019
It's a fun part-time job if you don't need to work full-time to sustain yourself. You're mostly standing around the entire day giving out samples to random people that walk by. The Customers are nice and the staff is pretty cool and you do learn a bit about wine. The training isn't the greatest though and the management isn't really that engaged unless they're on shift. There isn't really much of a job culture, or at least not at the location I worked. Working alone is probably the hardest part because you don't always feel safe as a female with the kind of clientele that comes at night. I enjoyed working with most of the staff and customers, it's and it's a laid back environment. What really bothers me the most is I've worked hard for a year to get a CEC position to get guaranteed 25 hours for nothing! They want to cut my hours because of their silly part-time policies, I don't feel valued as an employee. After how hard I worked and how much initiative I took to prove myself, this is how they reward me. SMH
Pros
Easy and laid back, fun pretty easy going customers mostly, friendly staff
Cons
Not enough hours, Low pay, Not enough training, No career advancement unless you have a great manager who wants to help you grow, No consistency, Not enough management engagement, can get boring sometimes.
A decent side job
Wine Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 April 2019
Ive been working at the wine rack for about 2 years now . overall i would say it is a good job for students or for a side job. At our location (in the gta) . It can be very flexible and the perfect second job or to come to after school since the shifts are so short. very flexible hours as well not to mention free wines once and a while!
fun
sales (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2018
a fun place to work in to learn about wine, awesome opportunities that are given. great management. it is a good part time job where you can do other things and learn.
Fun Job
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2018
I actually liked working at the wine rack for the few months I was there. My manager was awesome and it was very flexible around my schedule and I didnt hate my life there
good place to work if you want part time
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2018
Just don't expect to make lots of money. The shifts are only 4-5 hours long and you get no breaks. You are also expected to stand at a table the whole time.
Pros
free wine
Cons
4-5 hour shifts max
Very Cliquey
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2018
There is one group of friends who advance very quickly within Wine Rack. They claim to have an internal promotion system, and will talk about it during the interview and any job fairs, but in reality, if you aren't a part of the main clique...it is unlikely that you will get hours, let alone a promotion.
Wine Rack is an excellent place to start a career in Retail
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 May 2018
Wine Rack is an excellent place to learn and develop a worth wile career. There are many programs to get involved in that will help develop and tone your management skills.
Pros
It's the type of business to start a career in
Cons
Management lax initiative to develop people. One needs to learn how to do it themselves
Amazing set of people to work with
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2018
Working with Wine Rack is a great first step for anyone interested in alcohol retail. You learn quickly how to interact with a diverse set of people on a daily basis. Pay not to "attractive", but there is some opportunity for advancement depending on how far you want to go with the company.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Not enough hours
Retail but with booze!
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2018
Wine Rack is a fair enough company to work for, with flexible hours and opportunities to advance in the company, though the pay does not necessarily reflect the skills of the employees. You will learn a lot about dealing with ALL types of people, from entitled and snobby, to poor and addicted. Most of the customers love the stores and I believe that the neighbourhood mentality of the stores are really what drives sales. People can walk in and know they will see their favourite employee working, have a chat and a wonderful experience picking out wine.
As an employee, there's free wine involved, contests and company-wide incentives. As a manager, I found there was a lack of support and a lack of appropriate pay for the hours and grunt work involved in selling your soul to the company.
Pros
Free wine
Cons
crazy customers
N/a
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2017
Fast passed
Fun work environment
Always learning
Free wine every now and then for sampling
Free to be creative with events and setting up displays
Lots of fun people to work with
sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2017
enjoyed meeting new people. Had some returning customers because they knew I was able to help them if they needed an interpreter for French or sign language. This helped me stay in touch with both languages,
wine rack review
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2017
A typical day at work would be stocking, cleaning, dusting, wine sampling, recommending good wines and cashing out customers. Working on the floor is always easy for me because i am a great sales woman. The company isn't too hard on employees, as long as they are keeping up sales. i have had 3 managers since i've started working at the wine rack and i seem to get lucky because they are all very nice and understanding. The last 2 years i learned a lot about wine and the different qualities and benefits. The shipments are definitely the hardest part of the job, sometimes very brutal. You are expected to lift over 100 boxes of wine, stock and collapse all boxes by yourself in less than 2 hours for minimum wage. Other than the shipments, i actually can say i love my job.
Pros
free wine
Cons
body pains from shipments
Dying store
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2017
A failing business model that may have worked before every grocery store started selling wine. Limited selection of products you are expected to push onto people. Serious script you need to follow and are graded on monthly. Zero chance for promotion unless you consider 20 cents an hour a promotion. Head office is stuck in the 90s, as is the computer you work on that crashes daily.
Pros
Free wine
Cons
Minimum wage with zero raises
_
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 June 2016
Reasonable retail work environment with flexible time commitment. Plenty of opportunity to learn about the world of wine and fruit-based beverages.
fun place to work
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2016
Management at store level is fantastic and district level. above that they are naive to what happens in store and go purely by numbers without considering location problems and staffs needs.
Pros
Free Wine to know product
Cons
Full- time isnt possible, avoiding paying benefits, hard to maintain living costs
Great atomsphere for first time managers
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2015
This is definitely a good starting point if you wish to have a store manager position. this is the type of job for assistant managers who want to take that next step too store manager.
Great Part-Time Job for Students
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2015
I had a great experience working at the WineRack! Its a great place for students and young adults to work. Great Hours. Its your typical part-time job. You learn a lot about canadian wine and its culture, which is really interesting!
Pros
Learn about Wine Culture
Cons
Scheduling
Lots of interesting customer interaction
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 December 2012
A typical day at work would start with opening the store, cash counting, sample table preparation. Most shifts would be between 5 to 8 hours.
The job afforded lots of opportunity to learn about Ontario wineries and agriculture.
Management did a very good job of making sure that each person working there knew what they were doing and were very easy to work for.
Co-workers were great, although most of the time was spent alone except for the one or two hours that our shifts would overlap.
The most difficult part of the job would have to be refusing to serve people who are under age or intoxicated.
The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be interacting with the regular customers and joking with them. It was a very relaxed environment.
Pros
free bottle wine every other week.
Cons
low pay, and having to deal with drunks from time to time.