Wine Rack

Wine Rack Employee Reviews

Canada95 reviews
Relaxed work place
It's a lovely place to work, very slow paced and relaxed environment. The upsides are you get to take home bottles of wine to sample and learn about, the clientele are typically friendly and open to suggestions/information; management is a hit and miss, upper management tends to be fantastic and always willing to listen to issues and help resolve workplace problems. Downsides are, it's near impossible to get a full time job and you're always on your feet.
Unproductive, Toxic Environment, Good for students who want low hours
The Wine Rack is a company that is ran very poorly by the upper-management, which causes most of the store managers to become frustrated due to being overwhelmed with tedious work.

Their technology is obsolete (computer and scanners are from 2000)

Overall, the company is good for people who like working short hours or don't need that many shifts in a week.

It is good for students, however in my opinion, the stress caused from working with a company that operates like the Wine Rack isn't worth it in the long run.

Managers tend to place blame where it shouldn't be placed. In my experience, most of the staff seem to be stuck in a very bad mood throughout their shifts and it creates a toxic work environment.
It’s ok
If you have previous management skills you will be so frustrated here As with many retail companies no interpersonal and no management skills I left because there was no consideration of family emergency
Pros
Free wine once a month
Cons
Unprofessional manager
The management team is focused on creating a great team atmosphere. The pay is only $0.25 more than minimum wage but the work is fun and dealing with customers who drink wine is stressfree.
it’s ok I guess
Most challenging part was working alone for long shifts. It depends on the location, mine was slow but in a sketchy neighbourhood that was making me feel uncomfortable while at work and on my way there. Lack of security was a major reason for quitting.
It’s mentally tolling to have regulars who come in every day for alcohol, if it’s bothering to you - don’t apply.

The job pays bare minimum and gives raises once a year depending on your performance. You also get a decent amount of wine markouts. They want you to have full availability but don’t schedule for enough hours to make living, making it hard to find work/life/school/second job balance.

If you want to grow within the company as a manager, be prepared for a long journey. However, becoming a customer experience champion will give you a lot of valuable skills in regards to staffing, ordering, labour management and such.

Your coworkers really make an atmosphere, especially in locations where you are not alone all the time.
Loved my job learning about & selling wine to our awesome customers!
Key Holder Balancing cash opening & closing.
Ongoing learning re new wines on line & in store.

Worked together as a team

Load - when the truck came in with our order a lot of heavy lifting especially when there was a holiday.

Loved having feedback from customers when they either loved the wine recommended and or didn't . Important to know!
Cons
Too many hours at the time for me .
Ok job
If you don’t really need work but want something to do this is the job for you you barely get hours and management is terrible as the don’t come together as a family but more and as a dictatorship
Fun environment
I love working at Wine Rack. The location is great. My colleagues are lovely. I love how festive the store is, as we are always decorating the store to match the most relevant holiday.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Wine Rack?
great place to work
Its a great place to work, but they need to update the system.
learned about canadian wines

Workplace culture very good

Training every month with wine issues
Slow paced, productive environment
Provided samples
Loaded and unloaded bottles/boxes of wine depending on demand in store

Set up orders for individuals who wanted to buy in bulk

Handled complaints and returns/refunds

Answered phone calls and any customer concerns

In charge of close and open in the store

In charge of cleaning and wiping always to make sure everything looks presentable

Counted out till before, halfway and after shift to ensure no money was missing or miscounted

Handled the safe

Hardest part was being the only person in store and if you needed to use the bathroom you would have to close the entire store to run half way through the mall to get to a bathroom
Merchant
Good for part time
Not great management

Can be slow

Not good working alone as coukd be security issues

Hard to get by on low hour wage

Some customers nice but do have to deal with issues such as rude customers that feel entitled
Just a nice place to work, excellent manager and excellent co-workers.
It was just a really nice place work My manager was extremely nice as were the people I worked with. The store was clean, bright and the cliental were very nice, interesting people from diverse backgrounds.
Pros
15 Minute Break
Cons
None that I can think of
Super fun, great people to work with, delicious wines to learn about
Overall I loved my time at Wine Rack. My manager was very approachable and supportive. The people are great and they never whine, but they do wine ;)
Fairly relaxed work place
Typically work 4-5 hour shifts, with occasional 8 hour shifts. You are responsible for maintaining store operations on your own for most shifts. Always have to sample wines and help customers when needed. ID checks are required for anyone who appears to look under the age of 25 and must be comfortable refusing service to those who do not produce valid ID. Also, you must be able to evaluate customers for signs of intoxication, which may lead to a refusal of service. Refusal of services is the hardest part of the jo because of the way people may react. You are also expected to keep shelves stocked and the store to be organized.
Vern nice people . Excellent educational and training provided.
Wine Rack was an excellent place to work. I enjoyed the other staff and the manager and corporate team were terrific. The job was well defined with duties clear.
Nice place to work.
I used to work only openings in a non busy area so it was pretty chilled environment to work at.
Most of the customers were nice but sometimes you need to deal with intoxicated people.

My manager was pretty flexible when it comes to schedule and she was often trying to pleased everyone's needs.

The best part was that I worked alone 95% of my time with some few exceptions.
Pros
Low-paced environment.
Cons
Deal with intoxicated people.
Great learning experiences with local wines
A fun-filled culture but the job can be physically challenging since you are on your feet during your shifts, and slugging wine cases. Customers are great and holidays are very busy but super fun! You are trained on the sales floor till you are ready to be on your own. You give out lots of free samples of wine for the most part of your shift and chat to the customers. Definitely not a cashiers job. Manager is great.
Very productive and a lot to learn on the job. Fun work place with friendly staff.
Management is very understanding and flexible with hours. The overall culture of Winerack is very welcoming and allows new hires with no experience in the wine industry to bloom and develop a taste for it. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people who you are surrounded with on a day to day basis.
fun and easy job
Customers are always friendly. There is always something new to learn about new products. Staff and management are a pleasure to deal with and are always willing to help.
Poor management and organizational skills
Employees were rude and rough to work with. Manager is not suitable for this position as she cannot manage her workload nor do basic store responsibilities and puts all her work on her inferiors. She let 30 minutes into my second training shift and expected me to self teach all protocol.
Decent work environment, weak management and no hours
not enough hours, drama between coworkers, managers lack training, company is very cheap. Not a great company to work for. Managers are all hired from within the company and lack proper training.
Pros
flexible schedules, fun environment
Cons
bad management, cheap company, drama, lack of incentive