Wine Rack Employee Reviews

Not a great place to work for me
Wine Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2019
It's a fun part-time job if you don't need to work full-time to sustain yourself. You're mostly standing around the entire day giving out samples to random people that walk by. The Customers are nice and the staff is pretty cool and you do learn a bit about wine. The training isn't the greatest though and the management isn't really that engaged unless they're on shift. There isn't really much of a job culture, or at least not at the location I worked. Working alone is probably the hardest part because you don't always feel safe as a female with the kind of clientele that comes at night. I enjoyed working with most of the staff and customers, it's and it's a laid back environment. What really bothers me the most is I've worked hard for a year to get a CEC position to get guaranteed 25 hours for nothing! They want to cut my hours because of their silly part-time policies, I don't feel valued as an employee. After how hard I worked and how much initiative I took to prove myself, this is how they reward me. SMH
Pros
Easy and laid back, fun pretty easy going customers mostly, friendly staff
Cons
Not enough hours, Low pay, Not enough training, No career advancement unless you have a great manager who wants to help you grow, No consistency, Not enough management engagement, can get boring sometimes.
Safe your self and apply elsewhere
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 April 2019
Management/head office is a joke. They expect you to do so much but the pay isn’t great and no benefits. They ask for your availability, yet still schedule you outside of that. There’s no work/life balance, unless you book it off and lose hours.
Pros
Co workers and free wine
A decent side job
Wine Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 April 2019
Ive been working at the wine rack for about 2 years now . overall i would say it is a good job for students or for a side job. At our location (in the gta) . It can be very flexible and the perfect second job or to come to after school since the shifts are so short. very flexible hours as well not to mention free wines once and a while!
Patchy experience for wine merchants
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON21 December 2018
Actual job role was enjoyable. Many friendly regular customers. Employees learn a lot about wine and how to help a customer choose from different varieties. New employees receive a selection of free wines to teach them the flavour profiles of different varieties, and new products often get a free issue bottle as well. Dress code is flexible (most business casual clothing, several colours permitted). Giving out samples is a big part of the job, and drawing in passers-by with friendly patter and an offered sample can be a lot of fun for outgoing personality types.

However, expectations of the employee are completely different depending on which manager or executive happens to be in the store. Aggressive upselling is sometimes expected ($30 bottle when the customer asks for a $10 bottle). Company claims to respect workers' rights and mental health, but asking for any health-related accommodation results in scorn and reduced shifts. Some managers are fair and personable, but abusive managers are allowed to do as they please, even after formal HR reports are made against them. And getting enough hours to live on is difficult, with the company's recent pressure on managers to avoid giving shifts longer than 4 hours.

I'd recommend the job as a casual part-time position for building a resume, or if you're personally interested in learning about wine. Just be prepared to learn several sets of rules and switch depending on which higher-ups are present, and don't expect any bad apples to actually be dealt with.
Pros
Free bottles of wine, real education about wine
Cons
Erratic job expectations, limited respect for workers' health and rights
Probably the worst job I've ever had
Wine Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 November 2018
Stay away from wine rack specially in westboro. Honestly I did like my job, it was a great learning opportunity and I met amazing people. Sadly, no matter how hard you work, you're never rewarded. I gave my life to that company. Did so much work and got nothing back. What did I get ? I get 6 different managers in 1 year aand a half and most of them have no clue what they're doing. Most of them quit or get transferred to other stores. The westboro store is completely ignored by head office, they always promised to show up and help us but they never did. They always failed to come and see us or help us in any way. Everytime we sent them pictures of our store they never published them in their newsletter. The managers - mostly great ones but some are micromanagers. You'll get yelled at for a few cents above minimum wage, no surprise nowadays but not fair in any way. I loved my job but they never gave anyone a chance, and sadly it's like that at most stores. You can't work your way up. I was there for almost 2 years and tried to work my way up but was denied that due to the lack of communication between head office and other managers and probably them just not wanting to promote me in anyway. Over worked and under paid. The amount of money I spent out of pocket for that store to be great is absolutely sad and I hope they know they lost and are losing great, hard working employees.
Pros
You get free wine most of the time
Cons
Crapp hours, micro managed, very unstable
Do not reccommend
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Paris, ON6 November 2018
No work/life balance, difficult to advance within company, empty promises from head office, no job security.
Manager is unprofessional and gossips about employees, I was made to feel uncomfortable on many occasions
Pros
Cons
all
Great atmosphere
Cahier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 October 2018
Great atmosphere.
Typical day filled with awesome customers.
Manager was very easy going and laid back.
Employees were allowed to play personal music.
Pros
Free wine
WineRack Culture
Sales Associate, Key holder (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 October 2018
Working for this company was not a bad experience entirely. I worked with a lot of amazing people. The problem was that upper management did not follow through on serious complaints or suggestions regarding store environment or middle management problems. Unfortunately, I had a great start with amazing management and staff and later when management changed there were ethical and professional problems not addressed by upper management. Since I left those persons who were unprofessional and disrespectful have left the company. Sadly, it took many employees leaving before the company did anything about the problems. Anyone not management does not have a voice and is considered expendable, unless they plan to spend the rest of their life working for the company. Notice I said for and not with.
fun
sales (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2018
a fun place to work in to learn about wine, awesome opportunities that are given. great management. it is a good part time job where you can do other things and learn.
Fun Job
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2018
I actually liked working at the wine rack for the few months I was there. My manager was awesome and it was very flexible around my schedule and I didnt hate my life there
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 August 2018
Overall the wine rack was a fun experience. You learn about the different types of wines, notes, flavours, palates. What pairs best with each bottle. Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers and comparing favourites.
Pros
free bottles
Cons
not enough pay for whats required
wine merchant
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON7 August 2018
loved my job. Fun and interesting and educational as well.
however I found that my managers were not treated fairly for the amount of work they had to do among other things.
Great part-time job for learning about wine
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 August 2018
This is a great option if you are an older student looking for a part-time job. The demand for hours isn't so high that you'd feel like you can't focus well on school. It's a retail job that is somewhat laid back and a great way to learn about wine. Whether it's through customer or co-worker interactions.
Nice Work environment Unfair management policies
making sales (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON11 June 2018
I liked everything about the job except that they only give you 30 mins break on 8 hours shift and no breaks for any shifts less than 5 hours. Other than that everytime was okay.
Great Lower management,
CEC/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 June 2018
Your direct manager in store is great and encouraging but upper management is not encouraging or supportive. Great discounts and incentives, but more could be done for staff satisfaction.
Cons
Working alone
good place to work if you want part time
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2018
Just don't expect to make lots of money. The shifts are only 4-5 hours long and you get no breaks. You are also expected to stand at a table the whole time.
Pros
free wine
Cons
4-5 hour shifts max
Fun, easy going place to work. Great Atmosphere
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 May 2018
I loved working at the Wine Rack. I had great co-workers who were just as enthusiastic about working as I was so we always shared the jobs that needed to be done.
Good company to work for
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 May 2018
Great retail company to join. They offer solid part-time work with the possibility to advance. They are flexible with hours and offer great incentives to work there.
Very Cliquey
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2018
There is one group of friends who advance very quickly within Wine Rack. They claim to have an internal promotion system, and will talk about it during the interview and any job fairs, but in reality, if you aren't a part of the main clique...it is unlikely that you will get hours, let alone a promotion.
Decent place for part-time...
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  London, ON10 May 2018
Management was a little bad, but overall was a decent place to work for a bit while in school to pay for tuition. My location was quite flexible most the time. We could easily contact the manager and let her know if we needed specific days off, switch shifts with co workers.
Pros
free wine from time to time, company competitions with rewards
Cons
load shifts can be early hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wine Rack. Our community is ready to answer.