Wine Rack Employee Reviews

Probably the worst job I've ever had
Wine Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 November 2018
Stay away from wine rack specially in westboro. Honestly I did like my job, it was a great learning opportunity and I met amazing people. Sadly, no matter how hard you work, you're never rewarded. I gave my life to that company. Did so much work and got nothing back. What did I get ? I get 6 different managers in 1 year aand a half and most of them have no clue what they're doing. Most of them quit or get transferred to other stores. The westboro store is completely ignored by head office, they always promised to show up and help us but they never did. They always failed to come and see us or help us in any way. Everytime we sent them pictures of our store they never published them in their newsletter. The managers - mostly great ones but some are micromanagers. You'll get yelled at for a few cents above minimum wage, no surprise nowadays but not fair in any way. I loved my job but they never gave anyone a chance, and sadly it's like that at most stores. You can't work your way up. I was there for almost 2 years and tried to work my way up but was denied that due to the lack of communication between head office and other managers and probably them just not wanting to promote me in anyway. Over worked and under paid. The amount of money I spent out of pocket for that store to be great is absolutely sad and I hope they know they lost and are losing great, hard working employees.
Pros
You get free wine most of the time
Cons
Crapp hours, micro managed, very unstable
Do not reccommend
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Paris, ON6 November 2018
No work/life balance, difficult to advance within company, empty promises from head office, no job security.
Manager is unprofessional and gossips about employees, I was made to feel uncomfortable on many occasions
Pros
Cons
all
Great atmosphere
Cahier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 October 2018
Great atmosphere.
Typical day filled with awesome customers.
Manager was very easy going and laid back.
Employees were allowed to play personal music.
Pros
Free wine
fun
sales (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2018
a fun place to work in to learn about wine, awesome opportunities that are given. great management. it is a good part time job where you can do other things and learn.
Fun Job
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2018
I actually liked working at the wine rack for the few months I was there. My manager was awesome and it was very flexible around my schedule and I didnt hate my life there
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 August 2018
Overall the wine rack was a fun experience. You learn about the different types of wines, notes, flavours, palates. What pairs best with each bottle. Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers and comparing favourites.
Pros
free bottles
Cons
not enough pay for whats required
wine merchant
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON7 August 2018
loved my job. Fun and interesting and educational as well.
however I found that my managers were not treated fairly for the amount of work they had to do among other things.
Great part-time job for learning about wine
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 August 2018
This is a great option if you are an older student looking for a part-time job. The demand for hours isn't so high that you'd feel like you can't focus well on school. It's a retail job that is somewhat laid back and a great way to learn about wine. Whether it's through customer or co-worker interactions.
Nice Work environment Unfair management policies
making sales (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON11 June 2018
I liked everything about the job except that they only give you 30 mins break on 8 hours shift and no breaks for any shifts less than 5 hours. Other than that everytime was okay.
Great Lower management,
CEC/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 June 2018
Your direct manager in store is great and encouraging but upper management is not encouraging or supportive. Great discounts and incentives, but more could be done for staff satisfaction.
Cons
Working alone
good place to work if you want part time
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2018
Just don't expect to make lots of money. The shifts are only 4-5 hours long and you get no breaks. You are also expected to stand at a table the whole time.
Pros
free wine
Cons
4-5 hour shifts max
Fun, easy going place to work. Great Atmosphere
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 May 2018
I loved working at the Wine Rack. I had great co-workers who were just as enthusiastic about working as I was so we always shared the jobs that needed to be done.
Good company to work for
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 May 2018
Great retail company to join. They offer solid part-time work with the possibility to advance. They are flexible with hours and offer great incentives to work there.
Very Cliquey
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2018
There is one group of friends who advance very quickly within Wine Rack. They claim to have an internal promotion system, and will talk about it during the interview and any job fairs, but in reality, if you aren't a part of the main clique...it is unlikely that you will get hours, let alone a promotion.
Decent place for part-time...
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  London, ON10 May 2018
Management was a little bad, but overall was a decent place to work for a bit while in school to pay for tuition. My location was quite flexible most the time. We could easily contact the manager and let her know if we needed specific days off, switch shifts with co workers.
Pros
free wine from time to time, company competitions with rewards
Cons
load shifts can be early hours
Wine Rack is an excellent place to start a career in Retail
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 May 2018
Wine Rack is an excellent place to learn and develop a worth wile career. There are many programs to get involved in that will help develop and tone your management skills.
Pros
It's the type of business to start a career in
Cons
Management lax initiative to develop people. One needs to learn how to do it themselves
Wine Rack Day
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 April 2018
A typical day of handing out samples to customers walking by, upselling purchases and interacting with the public on a day to day basis. Making connections with customers and selling wine based on customer interactions.
The hardest part of the job would be refusing to serve customers. The most enjoyable aspect is when customers return to tell you how much they loved your suggestion.
The workplace culture is all about supporting your team and staying positive, while having fun.
Pros
Wine homework
Cons
Retail
Great company if only looking for minimal hours.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario23 March 2018
Fun customers, great products but they are not innovative or interested in keeping up on the latest market trends. Not transparent with staff, and, there is a true disconnect between upper management and store level. Extremely poor reviews given to keep raises minimal. Store managers are not making much more than merchants and no raises are given that are adequate to the cost of living increases felt in today's world. If you Google what the top people are making though, it will blow your mind. Great job if you are semi retired or just looking for a few hours here and there with free wine from time to time.
Pros
Free wine
Cons
No appreciation of employees sacrifices. No chance for moderate income.
Amazing set of people to work with
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2018
Working with Wine Rack is a great first step for anyone interested in alcohol retail. You learn quickly how to interact with a diverse set of people on a daily basis. Pay not to "attractive", but there is some opportunity for advancement depending on how far you want to go with the company.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Not enough hours
Retail but with booze!
Wine Merchant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2018
Wine Rack is a fair enough company to work for, with flexible hours and opportunities to advance in the company, though the pay does not necessarily reflect the skills of the employees. You will learn a lot about dealing with ALL types of people, from entitled and snobby, to poor and addicted. Most of the customers love the stores and I believe that the neighbourhood mentality of the stores are really what drives sales. People can walk in and know they will see their favourite employee working, have a chat and a wonderful experience picking out wine.
As an employee, there's free wine involved, contests and company-wide incentives. As a manager, I found there was a lack of support and a lack of appropriate pay for the hours and grunt work involved in selling your soul to the company.
Pros
Free wine
Cons
crazy customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wine Rack. Our community is ready to answer.