Wimpy's Diner Employee Reviews

Terrible workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON4 December 2018
Poor management; they do not even consider some efficient ideas to help run the restaurant better. Manager has no sense of discipline, let’s customers do/say/order whatever they want even if it’s against policies and practises. Kitchen staff is hard to work with. When I first started the kitchen staff would not give me extra condiments as per customers request, pickles, mayo etc is suppose to be free. Also had small arguments with kitchen when asking for a re-do for a mistake they made it becomes your fault. Cleanliness is not a factor in the Richmond hill location. This whole location needs all new staff and crew to be replenished. Some regulars are nice but mostly old perverted men with their families.
Pros
Having a job.
Cons
Horrible experience altogether
Friendly workplace with friendly employees.
Busboy/Waiter, inventory (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON12 November 2018
I enjoyed my experience working at wimpy diner I learned how to correctly sanitize dishes,tables.bathrooms. I learned how to deep fry fries. A typical day at work here would involve cleaning dishes ,bathrooms and taking orders from customers. The people I worked with were very friendly they guided me through anything I was having trouble with. The hardest part of the job would probably be cleaning bathrooms. The most enjoyable part of the job would be interacting with customers and taking their orders.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Not enough hours
Unprofessional
Server (Former Employee) –  North York, ON30 July 2018
Barely got any hours and management was awful and everything was outdated and unprofessional. Very angry when things didnt go her way or when mistakes were made. Training was very bad and unprofessional.
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
Horrible management
Could be a fun and exciting atmosphere.
Line Cook (Assistant Cook & Key Holder) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 October 2018
Depending on who owns the Diner you are applying too (some are better than others), it can be a good atmosphere even when slammed. Other than that every restaurant contains some of the same qualities which can make employment tiresome and redundant.
Pros
Free lunches, save on the grocery bill.
Cons
Open kitchen concept in most Wimpy's Diners. Customers get too personal.
Food Preparation and Kitchen Assistance
co-op, assistant cook, food preparation (Former Employee) –  Courtice, ON18 September 2018
I enjoyed my placement at Wimpy's diner. I learned the importance of health and safety and the food and beverage service standards.

Food preparation and customer service were two key tasks in this role and I was able to further improve on both of these tasks.

I really enjoyed working with the staff at Wimpy's and meeting the customers.
Pros
Learning more about food preparation
Cons
was only a placement position
Waitress position
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON17 July 2018
It was an okay place to work very poorly managed schedule was changed repeatedly after being posted so you could not count on knowing when you work from one day to the next. Was hired for part time but forced to work 6 days straight.
Horrible place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON9 August 2018
•Owners don’t know how to run a business, make a schedule or speak to their employees.
•Many times will punish you for making mistakes by not giving you shifts for the following week
•Customers aren’t very good tippers, going home with very little cash at the end of each shift
Pros
Food for 3$
Cons
No tips, rude owners, unorganized, unprofessional
Poorly managed, employer does not care about their employees!!
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 September 2017
Coworkers were fun people, no manager so many people not carrying their own weight, employer was very inconsiderate of his employees, must make this job your life because you are constantly needed and the stress of this job will follow you home, was called several times on any days off I had to come into work because boss could not get it together and schedule people accordingly. Was taken advantage of, schedule was constantly manipulated and changed after being posted so you can never make any plans. Owners are cheap and do not care about anything other than money. self managed diner had too many responsibilities for one person.
Pros
5 dollars off meals
Cons
long hours and not well managed
great learning exp
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 April 2018
great staff and great place to learn and start to grow in the restaurant field. I enjoyed my time working for this company and learned alot to further venture out and learn more.
Fun place to work
Line Cook/Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 November 2015
I really liked my job at Wimpy's. It was my first time working in the kitchen and have a great respect for kitchen staff. I really took my multi-tasking skill to a whole new level. The staff was very friendly and patient. I was able to be a team player and helped out in all area's. The one down side to Wimpy's were the hours a lot of nights and weekends but that is expected in the restaurant industry. I was given a raise and really felt appreciated there.
Pros
great staff
Cons
not a good balance for family life
fun workplace
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ON3 January 2018
amazing with time management, good at training, wonderful co-workers, fun environment, a lot of regulars, the pay was very good, made me feel very welcomed
Pros
allowing me to book off my hockey
mediocre
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON20 March 2018
Wimpy's isn't the most professional place to work. There were multiple times that people had complained about various things such as a fly in their food or rude costumer service from other workers.
fast pase
Server (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 April 2016
It was a great place because they worked with my hours i could work I learned alot about the food industry
management was fair and supportive
my coworkers were friendly
the most enjoyable part of my day was talking to the customers
Pros
great customers
Cons
no benefits
good food, friendly customers
Server (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON7 July 2017
The job was easy, the menu is not hard to memorize. I quickly learned that organization is key to success at a busy breakfast place. Management was more like family. The hardest part of the job was probably learning the computer and to get the just eats orders in while you are busy. The people who frequent the diner are what made my job so enjoyable.
Pros
half off food
Cons
clean up after shift is done
Fun workplace
Server/Manager (Current Employee) –  2800 Barton st east26 January 2018
Fantastic, I enjoyed every aslect. The customers and the employees are very easy going and always in a great mood. The food is always fresh and the the owner is great.
Bottom Rung Business
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville25 September 2013
The management at Wimpy's Diner in Bowmanville was incredibly disrespectful, uncooperative, and untrustworthy.
I had items stolen from the designated area they provided for my stuff. I had hours cut back out of an act of spite by management.
Lastly was left with remains of work from previous shift (which managers were working) and half the time to complete it while dealing with a dinner rush by myself.

It is family run business and if you are not related to this family they will not make it a pleasant experience by any means.

Beware!
Love working there!
Waitress/Cashier/bartender (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON17 February 2017
As a first timer in a working environment for more than a year, it's definitely been a fun ride along the way. Getting to know the regulars, trying to remember what they ordered last time and seeing smiles on people's faces as leave is quite rewarding. It's also nice when people ask how I am doing. I've gotten used to the juggling of doing a full restaurant and handling phone calls and takeout orders on my own as that's when you can grow! Learnt from my mistakes and thanked all those having to go through them with me. I truly love this restaurant and highly recommend it to a lot of my friends. It's got that diner feel when you could potentially meetup with your friends for milkshakes like in the olden days!!
Pros
Great employees and customers!
Cons
Hours
not very organized
Server/ Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2017
the restaurant just isn't completely organized. great people to become friends with though, the work environment just instead steady and as functional as you would wish for
Pros
50% off when working
Cons
no discount off shift, no breaks, no over time pay.
Poor managment and owner
Assistant Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON9 January 2017
We went to the restaurant this morning at the Wimpys Diner Restaurant in St Thomas. We had to ask the waitress multiple times for a glass of water which we ended up not receiving since the waitress forgot multiple times. We found the food to be very poor quality. Without being done our food the waitress came and took our food right away without asking if we were finished. Upon checking out I handed the waitress our receipt from the meal and the payment. The waitress then placed change on counter and said there you go. Found waitress to be very rude unprofessional and uncaring. We will think twice next time before returning to the restaurant.
Pros
one meal
Cons
bad owner
Positive place to work
Waitress/ Bartender (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 January 2017
amzing staff, incredible management and all around positive environment to work in. Everyone is always helping one another and are never treating any other staff members badly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wimpy's Diner. Our community is ready to answer.