Wilsons Gas Stops Employee Reviews

Long days, low pay
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS29 June 2019
Depending on which location you work at, it can be slow or fast-paced. Gas stations are not required to give their employees breaks under the labour laws, but people who smoke are free to do so seemingly whenever. There are many issues with management. They will often push many of their responsibilities onto the part-time staff. Managers change often and are not held to the same standards as employees. If they are, they aren't observed enough for anyone to do anything about it.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No breaks, long hours, on feet all day
Solid Company to Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 April 2019
Wilson's is a company that really cares about its employees. They offer the best scholarships of any employer and they always promote from within (definitely a company you can start at the bottom at and work your way to the top). The company is managed well overall however at an individual store level, it can be dodgy (there are some questionable managers). An excellent company if you are looking for part-time work, an okay company if you are looking for full-time is. Full-time get basic benefits but they pay is low comparatively speaking.
Pros
Excellent Scholarship Program, Medical/Dental
Cons
Some individual stores are mismanaged
The staff is good to work with, management not so much.
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Moncton Area, NB31 March 2019
The employees over all are fun to work with and I love the customers, fast pace. Interesting place to work most days. Positive atmosphere with the staff but not the manager. Manager has his favorite staff members and they rule the store. Staff that have been there for a long time dont get as many hours as staff that has only been there a couple years of few months. The part time staff usually gets full time hours but wont be put on as full time. Over all if the management would change it would be a much better place.
Pros
The staff, customers and fast pace
Cons
Evening shifts, management holds gruges, the day staff is rude and lazy.
lots of fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Great Village, NS15 October 2018
excellent place to work,very outgoing, good full days, kept busy but not running around, i would definitely have to say the best part about working there would absoluely be the people
Good workplace very nice people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick4 October 2018
Work is great there got to learn alot and how to chnage gas prices. As well as seeling tabbacoo to customers and restocking inventory. Working a cash system
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not enough hours
Good job while balancing school
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS7 January 2018
This was a great job to have while attending NSCC to gain experience with customers and gaining communication skills and security. Handling money and providing service to individuals.
Can be an enjoyable job
Employee (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS11 December 2017
Good staff and a somewhat laid back job depending on how busy it is, can be a really tough busy job. If you work in the evening there is very rarely a manger there.
Pros
You get to feel important
Cons
You don't get a break.
Fun first job with chances of advancement.
Cashier/Full-Serve Attendant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 November 2017
Wilson's Gas co is a great place to work for your first job with flexible hours, fun managers and an easy learning environment. If wanted there are also opportunities to grow up through the company.
Pros
Growth potential, Easy, Good experience
Cons
Scheduled work, Not very professional
Great work place
Esso convenient (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia23 March 2017
It's a pretty easy job, the employees are good to get a long with, it's always a busy day, there is always something to do,the hardest part of my job is taking the ta order in.
Pros
Always friendly people coming in
Cons
Counting over a thousand items a night
Daily Work
Gas Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB26 February 2017
great fun place to work it is a really enjoyable seeing all of the customers faces. You never know what kinds of interactions you may deal with on a daily basis.
Pros
great
Cons
great
Excellent working environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Gander, NL24 February 2016
A Day at work here is a very busy and often Hectic but challenge is what gives me more of a drive to be the best I can be. I love having meaning with the company and derive to keep it a professional but fun place to work.
over all it was good for the most part
Cashier, Robins Donuts counter attendant (Former Employee) –  Reads Corner, PE6 February 2016
i worked waiting on customers and doing alot of cleaning ive learned to know my customers helps alot and management always helped my co-workers were good to work with when i started doing paperwork it was alot to learn but i loved it and really enjoyed learning new things
Good Place to Work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick1 December 2014
 Processing of merchandise
 Performing store inventory twice a month
 Conducting frequent audits of merchandise and store registers
 Ordering all products and store supplies
 Ensuring accurate product placement, with knowledge of focus merchandise
 Maintained daily balance sheets
 Performed customer service; handling requests and inquiries
 Supervision and scheduling of staff
Career advancement opportunity
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Stephenville, NL10 February 2014
While working for Wilson's Fuel it became evident to me that there could be an opportunity to climb up from Part-time Cashier to Management. After a few months of being an employee I began to be trained with the Management duties. I throughly enjoyed this and eventually became assistant Manager, and from time to time I was Acting Site Manager. A great day was when I put on my assistant manager badge. I got along great with all of the employees and management. I began to train employees and over see product orders and communicated directly with suppliers on a daily basis. I found the interviewing and hiring process to be very interesting. I also established relationships with area and provincial supervisors with Wilson's Fuel and I believe these relationships and my work ethic all played a part in me being awarded the Wilson Family Scholarship In September 2013. This was a 3000 dollar scholarship which I used to go back to university.
Pros
Company benefits, advancement opportunity
Cons
Sometimes had to work 50-60 hour weeks
Busy, Fun Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 November 2013
Greeting customers, performing cash duties.

Great experience for enhancing customer service/cash handling skills.

Management was great and easy to get along with.

Most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with various people throughout the day, co-workers.
Pros
Great environment, usually flexible with hours
Cons
No scheduled breaks(ex: no lunch break)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wilsons Gas Stops. Our community is ready to answer.