Wilson's Transportation

Wilson's Transportation Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews
Terrible work environment
Company focus is on administration and head office staff. Don’t even have cleaning staff most of the time so equipment goes out dirty or partly clean. New HR manager gone after 6 months people turned over so fast you can’t even keep track of who’s who and in charge of what
Dysfunctional, incompetent
Management is disorganized with scheduling. You are only prepped for some of the services they provide customers making it hard to provide adequate customer service. They do not follow employment law when it comes to scheduling & OT pay(don't even think management/supervisors have the knowledge) and worse yet, without any notice, on holidays the call center is closed and the entire department is transferred to booking agents. So not only are you not being paid according to law but you are picking up the slack of an entire department. They don't even pay you over 80 hours in a pay period. Instead, they bank any extra hours which is illegal. If a front-line worker addresses an issue while providing a solution, the recipient ignores this. When working at the airport after 6pm, you are expected to answer all phone calls and yet you aren't even provided with the software for services offered other than airport shuttle which consequentially results in many rightfully frustrated potential customers.

Recently they added GPS systems to all buses company wide which is great as we could track buses. However, at the airport they only provide this for the airport shuttles which is meaningless considering some people(way too often) call about a bus not picking them up in some area that cannot be tracked from the airport.

In the 4 months I worked here, I cannot count how many people have left. The turnover in all departments seems high.
The best place I've worked in all of my working years!
Wilson's is the best place I have worked to date - it is a family owed business where the family is very involved and are the hardest workers in the company. The family and the entire company care about every employee and will always be there for you in any situation. In the 4 1/2 years I've been here, the company has grown extensively and of course there are challenges as there always is in a large company. I love my job, my co-workers, the management team and the Wilson's family. The team we have are amazing and we all work extremely well together. The job is challenging, the pay and benefits are great and the workplace environment is awesome. I enjoy coming to work each day
Excellent Family Run Company
It is fantastic how much of a family company Wilson's is, not only is there lots of family working at Wilson's, but you actually get to become a family with the employees.
There are many opportunities to get to get together as a group for activities, Wilson's is very active in the community and really encourage people to get involved.

I started with Wilson's a few years ago and in becoming a bigger company, it has also become a better company. Like any company Wilson's has its challenges, but Managers are always willing to listen and work with you to improve.

It is definitely worth giving them a shot, I would highly recommend it and I have to my friends!
Great group of people with a growing company. Lots of room for advancement and development. The CEO is open to employee ideas and all divisions have great team spirit.
Politics and drama
The job itself was easy and the pay and benefits were decent. Management and the supervisor weren't very good. Supervisor was rigid and not customer oriented. There were instances where a customer asked for the supervisor and they would say the supervisor wasn't around. The drama and politics in the workplace were stressful. Despite a few of the staff bringing our concerns to the manager/supervisor, nothing was said or done.
bad company to work for
Management are the worst to work for. They like to pick and choose and that is why you often see job postings. Lots of drama that goes on and believe me if you are hard worker they do not acknowledge that. They only acknowledge the people who call in sick.
Terrible work environment
Constant family drama in every department. No job security. Give them an inch and they will walk all over you until they don't like you and wait for you to quit. Training program is pathetic if you call it training. If you enjoy being spoken to like you are stupid and incompetent then this is the company for you. The turnover rate for office and drivers is ridiculous. There is no security for employees that are not in the union.
Excellent Opportunities For Seasonal Drivers
This is a great place to be a driver if it suites your circumstances. This is a seasonal job so April - Sept it's busy. There is work outside of these months but it is spotty until you have earned seniority. Particularly good for pensioners who want to earn extra cash but have their winters off. The people in dispatch and admin were excellent. Other drivers are ALWAYS helpful when you need questions answered. Mechanics are always there to do their best to help you deal with any issues. They are in the process of upgrading their equipment so buses will be newer. Expect to see split shifts and sometimes long days. This is a job where your satisfaction will be a reflection of your attitude. If you like variety, it can be great. You can go from driving school buses for charters, to doing wine tours, to doing cruise ship work, and more. If you get sucked in by the complainers who forget how good they have it, then that will be on you. Pay is ok for school buses and good for coach work. You have the option of going 'casual', 'part-time', or, once you've earned it, 'full-time'. If I didn't need more hours, I would definitely still be here.
Pros
Pay, Variety of work, Flexibility of work hour options
Unprofessional, unsafe, and unfriendly work environment.
Over 4 years of dedication to the company, and never once did I feel appreciated for the amazing work I did. I could make this a long rant but I will just end it here. Not worth my time.
Horrible shop management
I worked 40 hours a week and worked my tail off I had a incident with a zip disc blowing up in my face because they were buying the wrong zip discs and were not rated for a 11,000 rpm angle grinder! Basically what happened is they fired me for there own mistake. Blaming everything on me. Horrible pay and horrible management.
Pros
Cons
Everything.
Family Business cares about staff
Wilson's transportation is a good company to work for. Most work revolves around the busy cruise ship season here in Victoria. As a driver and tour guide there is good money to be made both in hourly wage and in cash tips from passengers.
As a new employee you're classified as a "casual" worker and it is not an easy job to fit around other employment or do advanced planning on a short term basis because you email the dispatch team your availability for the week and they call you the afternoon before your work for the next day with start time, location and which vehicle you'll be driving. If you leave your availability open you'll get plenty of work and make good money during the busy summer season. At the end of summer there is a significant drop in work, but Wilson's is large reputable company and expanding so you might be in luck.
Pros
good money, cash tips from passengers
Cons
hard to plan around, lots of weekend work
drama
all in all an okay place to work its a family run company and family comes first.
Pros
Cons
short staffed
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wilson's Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6