WillScot Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 July 2019
I did loved working there. except at the end. it was just my manager at the time that I did not get along with. i loved everyone that worked there.
Do not recommend
Accounting technician/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Châteauguay, QC6 January 2019
Unorganized, treats employees like they are a number. Managers are dishonest. Do not recommend this company to anyone who is looking for a career. would NOT return
Worst job I have ever had
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 November 2018
Title says it all.

Pay:
I was hired at the start of 2016 as a service technician, or so I thought. I was hired to do the work of a service technician, but was being paid as a service worker. I spent the next 15 months fighting to get a raise/promotion to the level I should have been. I did eventually get a proper raise after cornering one of the bosses in the lunch room, and after they tried to give me a low raise. Never got any back pay either. There's 10k I'll never see. I got a Cost of Living increase this year which really didn't cover anything.

Opportunity:
I never moved beyond service tech after 3 years. I was told there would be a service manager when I was hired, which was never true. I asked about a Lead Tech role, but they also did away with that position. At one point they had a Temp agency hire some people for us, so we could use them instead of hiring direct. One guy worked for 7 months as a temp before getting hired. That was only after someone else quit, Put him on probation after that as well. Never heard of such a practice before.

Training:
Basically I worked by myself from the first day, and pretty much for the next 18 months. The guy that was supposed to be training me was pretty lazy and just hid in the office most of the time. Most of the job was me just figuring it out, and no real idea if I was doing it correctly or not. Very little feedback from my boss if I was doing it correctly or not.

Work:
The job varies from easy to crazy. The first year was pretty chill. I worked on my own at my own pace, but I'd frequently had to work excessively
  more... hard to get things done, either from a rush or my co-worker being lazy.

It became a nightmare in the second year. I remember one point working for almost 2 months straight. Their new furniture packages basically doubled the amount of work I had, The job was always disorganized, but it became a whole new level when my co-worker took over as BoL No directions, no organization, still no feedback on work performance. We moved yards in November and there was no plan in place for the move so just ended up winging it and loading as much product into as few units as possible.

Salesmen basically run this place, which sucks considering they have no clue about the product most of the time. Not enough lead time, units over loaded with furniture, missing or incorrect information is a way of life.

Management.
Disconnected, uncaring.
Scotsman doesn't like to hand out raises all that often, but their management loves to spend money on business trips. They always have excuses for everything, Money is tight because of a merger, a buy out, you're just a service tech, ect ect. They basically just don't care and just want you to shut up, do your job, and don't complain.

Safety.
Hit and miss. Obsessed with cut-resistant gloves, but pay no attention to obvious other stuff like exhausted workers, or the fact that there is 3 FEET OF SNOW on the ground. Once saw the safety officer complain about us wearing backwards hard hats, when they were designed to be worn that way, but say nothing about the guy driving a Front-end loader with little to no training.

Very little enforcement though. Had a coworker walking around for days missing various forms of PPE. No Hardhat, No Gloves, No Glasses, even No work boots at times, so that's a bonus.

Closing:
Honestly I have nothing nice to say about this company. I've worked a lot of different jobs over the years, but this one was by far the worst. I'd avoid it all costs. I've only touched on the numerous issues and things that have happened over the years, but I don't want to write a 30-page essay. All I can say is that the moment that I walked out on this company was the happiest moment of my life to date.
Pros
Free Lunches, Sick days.
Cons
Too many to count.
Awful
BRANCH COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Canada16 October 2018
Unless you enjoy being micromanaged and expected to take on a huge workload with no appreciation, I suggest you look elsewhere. Upper management will never help out the little guys, and HR is 100% useless. Even if you put in multiple calls, they will never actually do anything to help you.
Cons
Terrible management, workload is far too heavy, financials are horrendous & AR is out of control.
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB23 October 2017
High degree of independence to get your work done. Management is easy to approach with any concerns. Corporate meetings are well planned and executed.
Pros
Great convention trips
Cons
Outside sales team
dream job
LEAD HAND PRODUCTION WORKER (Former Employee) –  edmonton16 October 2017
When I went to work for William Scotsman it was my dream job. I was in a supervisory position in the cleaning department. It was an awesome place to work and I was hoping to end my working career there. Sadly the company went another direction.
Pros
free barbaques lunches
Cons
tight deadlines
Dysfunctional organization with no clear direction or leadership
Business Development Mgr. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 February 2016
Typically travelled a lot to Ft. McMurray to keep a workforce lodge we acquired full of workers and trades who worked in the area south of Ft.McMurray towards Conklin.
Management was indecisive about the direction they wanted to go with workforce housing in Canada. Ultimately, they shut down the division and I was laid off with the downturn in oil and gas. Continuous management change at all levels.
The people I worked with, outside of management, were great. The hardest part was the long hours, early morning travel to late evening travelling on dangerous highways in Northern Alberta.
Pros
Good salary and commission structure
AP Admin
Accounts Payable Admin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 November 2015
I started in this position when it was disorganized. i got it to function and organized it. Sadly with the economy and productions levels it had to be moved to the states.