Willowbrae Academy

Willowbrae Academy Employee Reviews

Canada27 reviews
Great experience
Collaboration is key. It really does take a village to guide and teach little ones and prepare them for life outside of daycare.

This job taught me a lot about food habits and preparation and nutrition for our children.
Amazing!
Enjoyed working at Willowbrae North Van! All the staff get along well! The new(ish) director cares about you as a person, and listens to all feedback, there’s room for growth, as well as being able to gain experience with any age group.

If you care about your job, and our passionate about your job. It will not go unrecognized.
Bad Management
Turnover rate is high for a reason. My first week there and already 2 staff were leaving.

Management plays favourites and can not communicate amongst themselves or with staff.

No consistency and CONSTANTLY short staffed.

Gossip toxic environment.

Owner micro-manages and causes more problems and tension amongst staff.

Ministry of Education and Region of Peel is continuously on their case because they are 95% subsidized.

Management/owners have bad business practices and bad with finances (fee hikes EVERY year)
Really great work environment
This a wonderful company to work, the management makes everyone feel valued. Your days are filled with laughter, love and fun and no two days are ever the same.
Awful
There are not enough words to describe how I recommend AVOIDING working for this company. I can only write about my experience at the location I worked at, but I reported abuse, neglect and malpractice to my superior as well as corporate over in Nova Scotia and not ONE thing was done about it. The children are merely paycheques to them. They do not treat the children well at all.
productive and fun workplace in the classroom
Willowbrae Academy is very fun and easy to work at. Teachers and the director have a good communication with each other. Highly recommended as a workplace.
Great place to work with.
Since i started working in this company, i was driven more to discover my capabilities. It's very rewarding to note that in terms of classroom management, my brain never got dull & the more i am well driven to surf activities which i know my children would learn with fun & the environment would be an enjoyable one. It's a great place for kids & ECE's & IT's. ThankWillowbrae.
It is great place to work
I enjoyed working with children and playing games with them and supervising their development while also following a curriculum. It was fun to play I really liked that a lot I love working with kids. The company offers different options that best fit the employees personality. They are more than willing to help guide and train if further assistance is needed. They are understanding of time needed for family time off.
Fun workplace
Awesome place to work at. The staff are nice and out going and so are the parents. The kids are sweethearts and I love them all.
The director i worked with is nice. I've learned a lot in the childcare field.It is a pleasure teaching preschooler in my care.
Great experience with the staff
The staffs in the daycare are very approachable. The people around are very diverse and open to ideas. The first day I worked at the daycare everyone made me feel welcome and briefly taught me all the things I need to learn. I love that everyday I have something to know and to bring for my future references.
Amazing work environment!
I have worked at Willowbrae Academy for two months now.
It is a very easy-going, collaborative and upbeat atmosphere to work in.

You feel really valued and respected as an Early Childhood Educator!

The director is amazing and is very accommodating and understanding!

My center is also very culturally diverse. They hire people from all ethnicities, which is amazing to see.

It is a very professional, rewarding and fun place to work!
good working environment
Director provides good communication and working environment. I learned how to communicate effectively with parents. Every year, the company encourages employees to continue to learn and enrich their knowledge.
fun work place
Very good working environment fun to work with kids making their nutritional food for everyday routine and challenging experience for making different food especially those allergies it more fun
adaptable working environment
Adaptable management. Great hours- no work on the weekends. Great security feature. Has great sanitary practices in place. Location is very close to several amenities.
Knowledgable friendly staff
Busy days, always something to do, makes the time go by quick!
I learn something new everyday,

Always something new to learn with children.

The most enjoyable part of the job seeing children learn, grow, play and have fun!
Terrible management
I loved working with the children and other staffs, but the management was too stressful to handle.
There were too much work without proper support, new duties added up at monthly staff meetings. They definitely not treat staffs fairly which gave hard times to hard workinf staffs. Communication was really horrible here, that most of the staffs did not know what to follow. I wouldn't recommend working here since rhis place wont last long.
Not a pleasant place to work
The Company has a lot of management problems. They are constantly changing teachers and administrators. The ambience of work is tense and not friendly.
Overall a negative experience
Poorly run daycare. Wouldn’t recommend working there or sending you children there.
Lots fancy bells and whistles but lacking when it comes caring teachers and staff, and meeting basic needs of children. Always short staffed, therefore staff are overworked and exhausted. Often forced to stay late because there aren’t enough staff scheduled.

It’s clear to see when working there, it’s a corporate run daycare. They are worried more about making money than ensuring children are being well cared for. It was a very mentally draining place to work and I wouldn’t advise anyone to work here.
Pros
Kids and families were excellent
Cons
Poorly managed. Not in the daycare business for the children, more worried about making money.
"Every man for himself"
I love the kids and the other teachers.

Management?

Lacks consistency, terrible communication between each other, plays favorites BIG TIME, makes you feel like you're at fault every time there's a situation, "listens" to your concerns but never acts on them unless it benefits them, doesn't really care about the staff, always takes the parents' side even when their staff is in the right, always says "yes" to parents' requests even if safety of staff and other children are at risk, doesn't take the time to get to know their staff and the kids attending the centre, makes you go to work or stay at work even when you're about to collapse, says one thing but does another, gives you instructions last minute then rushes you about it, talks the big talk but don't walk the big walk, makes you feel incompetent even when they don't really know what's going on in your room, chooses sides based on how much they like someone instead of on facts, keeps a staff or fires a staff based on how much they like the staff

Typical day at work?

You wait more than an hour for a bathroom break, you pull your hair out trying to work with SEVERAL challenging kids at the same time, you don't get any type of support from management about your situation

Workplace culture?

Staff are nice, friendly, helpful. But there's a lot of complaints you'll hear because no one's really happy there.

Most enjoyable part of the day?

Having to finally head home after waiting forever for someone to cover you at the end of your shift

What I learned?

Managers make or break a work experience.
Excellant place to work!
I enjoyed my time with your organization, extremely positive work environment.

I learned a lot from colleagues and would recommend working and sending your kids to this place.
Meh
Place is okay. Huge! So there's a lot of kids and teachers and parents at all times. Not a big deal if management was better because it lacks leadership, organization, offers very little support if any at all, inconsistent, plays favourites, chooses what rules to follow and when, bends the rules to their benefit, doesn't treat staff well, not accountable, puts blame on staff when something goes wrong. Pay is average and benefits are really good. Long hours with no one to cover you at end of shift. Very inclusive to the point of having too many kids that need support in addition to the teachers. Best part of job are the kids and other staff
Pros
medical benefits, staff
Cons
management