Williams Fresh Café Employee Reviews

Terrible First Job Experience
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ontario16 November 2018
As a first job, I was excited to start at a nice cafe. However I knew from my first day that it would not be a good experience. Not only were they unaware of the fact that I was a new employee (when they had only 20 other employees) but I felt unwelcomed and would be given nasty looks from other employees. I was given only three hours of training and then I was on my own. To say the least, I was a disaster for three weeks and was given only around two shifts per week, which made adjusting very inconsistent and difficult. I was underpaid over $500 and was never given the proper resources and respect. Some of the managers and employees were nice, while others were not.
Most of the customers themselves were nice and understanding. You’d get your occasional grouch, but it was a nice learning experience considering I had to learn on my own.
Overall, it was a terrible experience and would not wish the kind of experience I had to my worst enemy. After working hard to get equal to everyone else, I was fired for the most illogical and irrelevant reason.
The management themselves were very unorganized and inconsiderate and it’s no surprise no one stayed in that specific cafe for long.
The franchise itself is a fine establishment, however it was the specific location I worked at which left a bitter image of William’s Fresh Cafe in my head. I’m sure the other locations are far more respectable and organized.
Pros
Barista knowledge and learning
Cons
Inconsiderate and incompetent managers and employees
not bad
Hostess / Busser (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 October 2018
I was an ok job. The actual food and smoothies are great! I love the food. There were no discounts on employee food when i worked there. Co-workers weren't really nice. The manager was nice.
Racist, Abusive, Cowardly and Scornful Management
Barista (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 October 2018
This is a terrible place to work, I wouldn't recommend this employer to my worst enemy.
They will hire you, take advantage of you for two weeks then let you go with no explanation after they have you do their grunt work; nor will they have the courage to hand you your final cheque themselves.
Pros
I dont work there anymore
Cons
Waste of time
Fun, Team environment
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON17 September 2018
I seriously loved working for Williams Fresh Cafe, the employees, the customers and the overall environment. I didn't feel like it was work, felt more like getting together with family
fast past environment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 July 2018
The Managers are good, most staff members are easy to work with. The busy atmosphere has occasional slow periods. Likewise, very loud and noisy environment and very hot. It's an average job.
Cons
Must be willing to do other staff members tasks
A great place to work and focus on building skills.
CAFÉ SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 June 2018
It was a great place to work, the environment, customers and other staff members were kind and helpful! Management was sometimes difficult but all around a pleasure to have worked there.
Pros
Free Coffee
It is a nice place
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 May 2018
Loved working here. It’s really an interesting place work. It was located at a the university campus and close to my classes for me which made it convenient
Learned a lot about coffee
Baristas/ Manager in training (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON14 April 2018
Long hours, not very good at giving breaks and had lack of training. Learned a lot about coffee and how to make cool drinks. But location was not going to best so they closed.
Pros
coffe
Nice Place To Work At
Barista / Morning Supervisor (Current Employee) –  1250 Brant Street14 April 2018
I been working at Williams Fresh Cafe for 12 years now. Since the minimum wage hike hours been cut. I cant live off of 25-30 hours a week. I need maximum 40 hours a week.

I have seen many changes in management at Williams Fresh Cafe.
Alot of customer service
Retail Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 April 2018
Loved working there, talking to different people, making people happy! Always felt like I need to work harder! Never felt like I should stop. Good team to work with!
Pros
Friendly work team, talk to alot of different people.
Cons
no cons
Fast-Paced and Consistent
Part-time Hostess (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 April 2018
I've enjoyed working at Williams a lot throughout my first year of university.
It is not difficult to pick up the work, and the job doesn't change as you work there, meaning that once you've gotten the hang of it you're set.
The management is great, overall the most understanding and kind I've had the pleasure of working with.
It's fast-paced, which is nice, as there's almost always something to do. I work with people around my age, which is a good experience.
Decent Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON25 February 2018
There were many other perks of the job including a flexible schedule and many hours to be worked. In addition, there was always training available for other positions including, kitchen, espresso, cash and opening staff.
There were many friendships to be made in the workplace and with a diverse selection of staff, there was always different personalities.
The hiring process was good, considering they would hire recommendations from the current staff which made new hires feel a sense of belonging right away. This was a blessing and a curse at the same time because it also formed cliques and outside drama.
Most managers were good team players and very helpful.

On the other hand,
Management had times when they were unprofessional, and any complaints were not taken seriously by customers and staff members.
During my time working at Williams, they were very desperate for staff and it was unfair to the people who actually put time into their work. For example, people would walk out and then come back, as if it never happened.
There were obvious cliques in the workplace, which made it difficult to work with some people, as well as a dramatic environment.
The owner was understanding and obviously trying to keep the workplace tolerable, but there was just an overwhelming amount of "catty" behavior.
Tips were minimum. The staff received one dollar per hour, no matter how little or how much work was actually being done. You could purchase your food using the "I owe you" system, which meant that the food you bought, would be taken out of your tips. Although this
  more... was a good system, many staff members did not agree with the tip system, especially when $10 bills were being placed in "your cup" and you can only take $4 home, on a 4-hour shift.

Overall, it was a decent experience. There is obvious room for improvement. I made many friends with my co-workers during my time working at Williams and picked up many valuable skills that can later be applied to other work-places.
Pros
50% off food while working, Flexible hours, Many hours to be worked, room to advance
Cons
Dramatic environment, basic procedures aren't met by management, tip outs
Productive and fun workplace
Server, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 February 2018
I enjoy working with the staff, made up mostly of students - it helps grow my experiences, working with, and for, diverse people.

I enjoy working for the management - they are extremely understanding, and willing to work out scheduling difficulties that arise due to personal circumstances.
Awful pay and hard work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 February 2018
Minimum wage with no opportunities for increased pay, regardless of length of employment. No guaranteed hours. Change in policies are quite common...
unfair and rude and racist towards anyone not the same ethnicity of employer
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON23 January 2018
while working there they only allowed people who are friends and family to work up in the workplace, and suppressing the others who worked there and did not show any respect to them at all. Overall don't recommend working there if you are any other ethnicity other then from the Philippines, cause they won't treat or pay you fair and lie to you.
Pros
Cons
you will be miserable and pay is unfair and no room to move up
Difficult
Cafe barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2018
I didn't feel heard as an employee and a one point, I didn't even feel wanted. Bosses were rude, opinionated and disrespectful towards all employees except their favourites. Other employees acted as if they were better than you because they were there longer.
Good for experience, that's about it
DWBI (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 January 2018
Williams is a relatively easy job to do. Not much is required of each individual but between management and other choice workers, it is sometimes tiring and tedious. on a day-to-day basis, things are usually pretty care free and simple but on it feels like the full-time employees are doing 90% of the work that the store requires while the higher ups don't get involved except to take the credit. Whether it be keeping customers happy, delivering catering orders or making the schedule, most of the management responsibilities have trickled down to the regular employees. Would recommend if you don't have much experience and are looking for a short and painless job but would not recommend sticking around for longer than necessary.
Pros
Light workload, friendly environment
Cons
Expected to do more so that others can do less
No manager and owner with no experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON3 January 2018
Loved my Supervisor position until the Manager left and the Owner took over. The owner has no restaurant experience and the atmosphere and conditions deteriorated within weeks. This caused many staff members to seek out new positions with other companies.
Great work place for part time
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 November 2017
I honestly LOVED working at william's cafe! I wouldn't have left if I hadn't moved. The managers try to work with you as much as possible. It's pretty fast pace and stressful at times. I really enjoyed my experience though!
Pros
flexible, friendly, pretty clean environment, half off food
Cons
no tips, under staffed (making it stressful @ times)
Fun and Friendly
Cashier/Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON14 November 2017
The place is a very fun and up lifting place to work. There is a lot of accomadations for anything that you desire. There is room to move up in the company which is excellent. Management is very personable and accooidating.