William Osler Health Centre

William Osler Health Centre Employee Reviews

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Osler. I met some amazing life long friends. I was shown compassion, and how to handle things. I encountered some difficult situations that ultimately prepared me to handle my personal life trauma with much more ease. My manager was quite amazing, and although some say she is Military-like, I think the units she managed needed that stern personality. She was/is incredible.
After working there for 33 1/2 years I had paid vacation time clawed back from me. Also had to ask for pandemic pay that should of being given to me without having to ask. Had to also ask for uniform allowance that should of automatically been paid. Alot of errors with pay in general.
Cons
Redeployment. Attendance program.
The level of nepotism at this place is unreal. Managers and directors hire their friends and bully those who don't fall in line. A whole team confided in HR about being bullied by their incompetent manager and absolutely nothing was done. If you're not unionized at this place you better keep quiet and not challenge the status quo. HR is NOT there to support you. Don't work there.
Management heavySLT not trustedLeadership not transparentAgendas are personal Great place that has great people who are mismanaged. No performance reviews or improvement plans for those who really need them.
Pros
Excellent equipment
Cons
Management top heavy
This used to be a great place to work until the last few years. Management's sole focus is on the  numbers that make them look good. Perhaps then they can justify paying themselves higher. Never mind about the impact on patient care or staff, those are not important at all. So, don't believe all the public proclamations of its services. Talk to Insiders and patients to get the truth. Brampton Civic Hospital has been in the news for patient deaths more so than other hospitals for good reasons. Management, managers and directors (don't know if this initiative is from the executives), pushes employees to cut corners to meet targets. If you try to stand up to it, management will make life miserable for you. I have seen outspoken employees being shuffled out to roles that they are not trained or given work schedules that they could not live with. Many of them, to avoid breakdowns, just quit. If you go on mat leave and you are one of the outspoken one, don't expect to get back to your old job. Management will find a way to force you to resign. This is how management thinks of staff. Management monitors every movement you make. The hospital has a clock in system that is similar to that in use by Dollarama. You get dock or being late even for a minute. If you call in sick three times in a year, you are put under 'supervision'. for 12 months. They think that you are skiviing if you are sick three times in a year. I am glad to be retiring soon. Can't put up with the bs. Work here at your own risk. They force you to do things their way, yet when something goes wrong, they - more...
Pros
Cons
you have to toe the line, betray your own values to submit to incompetent managers and directors, risk of getting into career-ending troubles is high
I enjoyed my position. I had to leave because i moved. Very fast paced, days fly by. I felt as though i was part of a huge team. The benefits and pay were great. Parking was hard due to the amount of people that work there. I believe it to be a very needed and important job and felt proud to say that i worked there.
Pros
money is good, people are good
Cons
Could be stressful...very busy...
I learned allot by working there, great experience and loved my co workers Everything I know today I learned there, this is a great place to work. I would recommend this employer to anyone
Equal opportunity employer, adequate orientation from the beginning of hire to deployment in the home unit. Matches salary according to regulated payscale.
Multicultural, friendly and well maintained facility. Enjoy going into work. Fast paced, relaxed at times depending on how many patients come in for a visit.
Management and team support are in place to promote the patient's quality of life. During this period I developed skills and knowledge that will be transferable to other clinical settings.
Working at William Osler health system has elevated me professionally. With opportunities for professional growth and development, challenging opportunities in my roles have allowed me to think outside the box with supportive colleagues and leadership. Up to date facility that is always striving to be the best and do the best for their patients, staff and volunteers. There are annual member recognition, weekly educational opportunities, occupational health nurses working hard to update staff on vaccines and ensure they are protected from workplace exposures.
Mediocrity is rewarded and excellence is punished. Middle management use a culture of fear to control and terrorize frontline staff. Lying, bullying and harassment are standard and expected practices within management. Innumerable violations of the Employment Standards Act and Ontario Human Rights Code. Frontline staff are very friendly but horribly treated by management.
It's a great experience to care for patients coming in. The doctors are very nice to work with. The hospital is amazing for those who are passionate to take care of the patients.
When I first started my position there it was very bumpy and I wasn’t certain that I would last. However leadership was paying attention to the issues and made the necessary changes. Now It is great!
Good senior and junior management. They will be around you whenever you need anything or help. Great management and work culture. they provide good Salary benefits.
Brampton civic's labour and delivery is the second busiest in the country, affording the nurses opportunities to serve a vast array of populations varying in both ethnicity and acuity. The fast paced environment allows you to gain your independence in your practice, however, there are always nurses around in case of urgent or emergency situations ensuring you never feel alone to manage a crisis on your own. There are always managers and educators that stay in touch with you throughout your training and orientation period to ensure you are at where you need to be to practice safely and independently. The culture on the unit is mostly warm and supportive.
Critical thinking skills are definitely required Fast pace environment Organizational skills are a must Multicultural- many language barriers (resources are necessary) Work place provides many educational functions Team work is important
Great place to work, however the pay is much less than what the industry standards are. You can go to literally any other hospital and get paid more for the same job title / responsibilities.
They will not support you. Families complain frequently about unrelated medical issues. Management even allows families to record employees while working. Be very cautious of the floor culture and environment you choose to work in.
Large amount of positions to choose from. Workload is good but sometimes increased with amount of relocation of staff. There are many opportunities for advancement. Management is good but not exceptional lacking in proper distribution of duties equally among staff. Union and non-union positions sometimes become a battle as there is a lot of "bumping" staff due to seniority levels. The Foundation office is well run with many fundraising opportunities. There are many committees that staff can participate in. For the most part, It is a pleasure working at William Osler Hospital.
Pros
staff yearly BBQ, fundraising events, vendors in lobby, good pension program
Cons
too top heavy with too many managers and directors.
Management are not helpful, they are very disrespectful towards their staffs. They get offended if you grieve them. The environment is toxic. The staffs i worked with was a great teem