William Day Construction

William Day Construction Employee Reviews

Canada48 reviews
Curbside collection
Great supervisors, approachable, easy to work with and talk to.

Upper company management poor and hypocritical.

Company doesn’t care much or value employees at all.

Equipment is above average quality and relatively well taken care of.

Scheduling for curbside is awesome

Schedule
Life’s way to short to go work for this company!! Manager are very clueless of what’s going on and covers up for supervisors that are even more clueless!
Pros
Working locally
Cons
Very very poor management
Management are lazy and a bunch of liars. Dispatcher for the ore haul takes 4 to 6 weeks vacation but workers are treated like garbage if they ask for time off. Watch your paycheck closely always missing hours
Pros
Cons
Long hours awful pay. Liars and cheats
Once you start, you hear that it's a great place to work, lots of room to move up and advance but it's not true. Learn what you can and move on.
It's just another job and you are replaceable.
I typical day there was pretty busy, I had to complete jobs by myself, go on service calls all over Sudbury. Some calls where on mine sites, while others on the side of the road. Night shifts were very slow, cleaning the shop and sorting tools were some thing I did to pass the time.
Not enough training and you do one innocent mistake, they'll send you for retraining so they can basically find a way to unjustifiably terminate you.

That's probably because of their renowned safety reputation of numerous accidents and lazy management.
Overall not a bad place to work. I start my day and work and go home and not have to worry about what happened that day. Really not a whole lot of stress on your shoulders working here.
there is no room for women to get ahead in this company , if you are a women looking to strive for greatness and work to the fullest of your value and potential this is not the company for you. I worked for them for 2 years got my heavy equipment trainer by that company and never did anything other then operate a rock truck, its complete BS. unless your part of their "click" you don't fit in.
Dog eat dog environment. If you want to learn and progress in the company you need to be ready to cut someone down and/or throw them under the bus.
Need to be ready to work 18-20 hour shifts at the drop of a hat as well as leave town for and unknown amount of time.

Learned lots, but, at the expense of other people. I became a terrible person just to progress and make a better living for myself. Day gave me tons of life experience on how to deal with people other then trying to ruin their life to progress mine.

Defiantly not the place for a 19 year old kid to start their working career.
The drug benefits and Pension Plan is a JOKE BEEN THERE 5 YEARS Never had one problem was known as a hard worker I got sick took and ambulance from work found out I had stage 3 liver failure my doctor said go on sick leave Day talked me into light duty 96 hours a week... not so light.. day shift no more (shift work )I continued to get sick 3 months passed they fired me because I missed 14 days I had tons of respect for this co.pany until they did this its unbelievable I now many other ppl they did the same thing too
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at William Day Construction?
Great company overall laque of communication though can be undesirable! The shift work sucks but makes up for it in overtime. They have lots of different things on the go so lots of opportunity
Pros
Great money
Cons
Poor shifts
It was a good place to work with fair wadges. The only down side is there is a 2 dollar an hour safety bones that can be removed from your monthly income
Totally embarrassed me during interview process and very agressive calling me a liar. Felt very uncomfortable and couldn’t wait to leave the building. Marijuana has now been legalized and decriminalized but not according to them if you smoke marijuana your garbage even though it’s for medical purposes as I cannot sleep at night and it’s very much helps me

Overall very dissatisfied would never apply again
Cons
Great place to learn new skills. Work/life balance for the mechanics is fair. Not the cleanest or brightest shop but it’s not the worst I’ve seen. Wages are fair and the benefits are great. They could use a boot allowance given the field of work.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks, great benefits plan, rrsp
Cons
They could use some better shop spaces for all of the trades, some management could use some training.
The company it’s self is great to work for. Benefits are great, pay is ok but could be better. Hours are good unless you get stuck on a 6/3 schedule which then you have no life outside of work. The coworkers are awesome and sure to make your day go by fast! Very safety oriented company.

Management is horrible! If your not apart of the “cool kids” don’t expect to advance in your position. Very cliquey! Poor attitude towards women. Some of the supervisors will blatantly lie to your face or throw you under the bus to make themselves look better. Management likes to think they can get away with anything.
Pros
Steady work, great benefits!
Cons
Pay is lacking. Sometimes no work/life balance. Poor management
-Was a fun place to work
-for people who like to work hard

-manager is striked

-late hours on fridays

-early starts on saturday

-friendly nabourhood

The old saying... "You get what you put into it" holds true for William Day Construction. If you put your heart into your work, try to understand the scope of your job and show you actually care, it will not go unnoticed. Do your job poorly and show that you aren't interested in anything, then you won't be around very long and you will come on Indeed and give a poor review. I can guarantee that if you work hard, show supervision you are invested in your job and willing to help in any way possible, that you will naturally have a good experience.

Working for William Day was probably the most dynamic job I've had to date...good and bad. You get it all... it's challenging, exciting and at times exhausting, but extremely rewarding. There is literally NEVER a dull moment and your days fly by faster than you can imagine. I moved on to pursue other ventures, but leaving was a very difficult decision and I still miss the challenge and the people.

If you know in your heart that you always approach challenges with 100% effort, then you will find success at William Day. Sure there are exceptions...but not many. If all you are interested in is the money and getting home at the end of the day/week, then you won't last very long. If you jump in with both feet then you will be rewarded with personal growth, great friendships and a long career with an exceptional company.
Pros
Good pay, Good benefits, Seemingly endless amounts of work, Great coworkers, Caring Owners
Cons
Stressful at times, work/life balance can be difficult during busy seasons
A typical day at work -
What you learned -

Management -

Workplace culture -

The hardest part of the job -

The most enjoyable part of the job ----
I had just started with this company and enjoyed it! In the first week of employment I had a massive family medical emergency! I had to take a few days off when they (Day Construction) Told me to come back to work i phoned them and they kept telling me to call them the next day finally I get a call on Tuesday from management saying that they were sorry for jerking me around and that i was placed on temporary layoff!!! Really? Then they call me back for work and i had a personal family matter (My wife) emergency come up I then get a call today stating i am on permanent layoff! Also there is no communication between management and employees training is poor at best and all your co-workers tell you to do your job different then how you were trained! Unless you are in the inn crowd you are not accepted!
Pros
Piad Lunches
Cons
No Advances, Long Hours, Short Notice to work night shift, etc
Great pay with good benefits that I can count on. Recommended company to be employed with. Also working for William Day Construction you can still have a life out of work.
Worked for Day for a few years back in the 90's and left to try something new. I came back years later realizing how good of a company Day Construction is. Family oriented business and you are treated with great respect.The only downfall is the shift work but most of their contracts serve the area Mining Giants which operate 24/7. Very good salary and excellent benefits if you have a family. Supervisors are all well trained in all aspects of Supervision so I never had any problems with any of my Supervisors. If discipline is required, it is done in a very respectful way. The equipment that I drove was always in very good condition and if was defective, my boss would tell me to leave the truck there and was instructed to take another one. Day is not a perfect company but I found that they strive everyday to be better than the competition. The greatest asset to this company is their hard working , dedicated employees and I was very proud to be a part of their team. Would definitely recommend applying to this company.
Pros
Positive working atmosphere/ Safety concious
Cons
Long 12 hr night shifts
Ask a question about working or interviewing at William Day Construction. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6