William Day Construction Employee Reviews

Amazing coworkers! Poor management
Operator (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON13 March 2019
The company it’s self is great to work for. Benefits are great, pay is ok but could be better. Hours are good unless you get stuck on a 6/3 schedule which then you have no life outside of work. The coworkers are awesome and sure to make your day go by fast! Very safety oriented company.

Management is horrible! If your not apart of the “cool kids” don’t expect to advance in your position. Very cliquey! Poor attitude towards women. Some of the supervisors will blatantly lie to your face or throw you under the bus to make themselves look better. Management likes to think they can get away with anything.
Pros
Steady work, great benefits!
Cons
Pay is lacking. Sometimes no work/life balance. Poor management
Get what you put in...
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON21 February 2019
The old saying... "You get what you put into it" holds true for William Day Construction. If you put your heart into your work, try to understand the scope of your job and show you actually care, it will not go unnoticed. Do your job poorly and show that you aren't interested in anything, then you won't be around very long and you will come on Indeed and give a poor review. I can guarantee that if you work hard, show supervision you are invested in your job and willing to help in any way possible, that you will naturally have a good experience.

Working for William Day was probably the most dynamic job I've had to date...good and bad. You get it all... it's challenging, exciting and at times exhausting, but extremely rewarding. There is literally NEVER a dull moment and your days fly by faster than you can imagine. I moved on to pursue other ventures, but leaving was a very difficult decision and I still miss the challenge and the people.

If you know in your heart that you always approach challenges with 100% effort, then you will find success at William Day. Sure there are exceptions...but not many. If all you are interested in is the money and getting home at the end of the day/week, then you won't last very long. If you jump in with both feet then you will be rewarded with personal growth, great friendships and a long career with an exceptional company.
Pros
Good pay, Good benefits, Seemingly endless amounts of work, Great coworkers, Caring Owners
Cons
Stressful at times, work/life balance can be difficult during busy seasons
Its okay
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON29 January 2019
A typical day at work -
What you learned -
Management -
Workplace culture -
The hardest part of the job -
The most enjoyable part of the job ----
Don't Work For These Guys
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON28 November 2018
I had just started with this company and enjoyed it! In the first week of employment I had a massive family medical emergency! I had to take a few days off when they (Day Construction) Told me to come back to work i phoned them and they kept telling me to call them the next day finally I get a call on Tuesday from management saying that they were sorry for jerking me around and that i was placed on temporary layoff!!! Really? Then they call me back for work and i had a personal family matter (My wife) emergency come up I then get a call today stating i am on permanent layoff! Also there is no communication between management and employees training is poor at best and all your co-workers tell you to do your job different then how you were trained! Unless you are in the inn crowd you are not accepted!
Pros
Piad Lunches
Cons
No Advances, Long Hours, Short Notice to work night shift, etc
Good company to work for
Rock truck driver (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON11 October 2018
Great pay with good benefits that I can count on. Recommended company to be employed with. Also working for William Day Construction you can still have a life out of work.
Great company to work for.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Levack, ON25 May 2018
Worked for Day for a few years back in the 90's and left to try something new. I came back years later realizing how good of a company Day Construction is. Family oriented business and you are treated with great respect.The only downfall is the shift work but most of their contracts serve the area Mining Giants which operate 24/7. Very good salary and excellent benefits if you have a family. Supervisors are all well trained in all aspects of Supervision so I never had any problems with any of my Supervisors. If discipline is required, it is done in a very respectful way. The equipment that I drove was always in very good condition and if was defective, my boss would tell me to leave the truck there and was instructed to take another one. Day is not a perfect company but I found that they strive everyday to be better than the competition. The greatest asset to this company is their hard working , dedicated employees and I was very proud to be a part of their team. Would definitely recommend applying to this company.
Pros
Positive working atmosphere/ Safety concious
Cons
Long 12 hr night shifts
Heavy equipmemt operator
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON19 March 2018
Very good place to work.... Benefits are great, paid lunches and very friendly, most of the supervisor are great to work for. If you get laid off after 3 months it means your a bad apple. They keep and treat you well if you show a good work ethic.
Pros
Great benefits and paid lunches.
Cons
Some supervisors needs humain resources advice.
Productive and friendly place to work
Truck Driver/Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Levack, ON18 February 2018
Great place to work and better people to work with. So long as you're the type to work hard and not make drama you can go far with a company like Day Construction.
Laid off in 3 months due to work shortage
Waste truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON21 January 2018
Was a good company but not a long term job due to job cuts, I had started off as a Garbage truck driver then was given a position in Environmental. Liked that job
Good people and steady work
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON3 December 2017
For working in Construction we are always working locally which is nice. Hours usually really good with opportunities for O/T.
Equipment very well maintained, maintenance dept on top of issues pretty quick. Lots of emphasis on safety.
Pros
paid lunches, good benifits
Cons
Job uncertainty but thats construction
Productive and safe
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON9 October 2017
Good hours, and easy enough work. learning experience has been good even though its not the field of work i would like to be in. Hardest parts about work is definitely the winters, minimal time with family and always seems hard for them to give time off.
good learning environment
Assistant Manager Environmental Division (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON26 September 2017
Was given the freedom to make decisions that were in the best interest of the company. I was given the opportunity to learn new skills and increase my knowledge of the environmental industry.
Pros
Ability to learn.
Cons
Lack of support from upper management
It was nice working for them.
Operator & Labourer (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON12 September 2017
Always enjoyed working for them. The pay was decent, they cared about your safety, coworkers were friendly, and supervisors were easy to work with. If I had the opportunity to work for them again, I wouldn't hesitate to take it.
Benefits
Cons
Shift work
Labour (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON17 April 2017
I worked at the landfill. It was long hours in the summer but the people were awesome. It's hard work and we still had to work in all weather conditions.
Would be a good company if management actually listened to their employees
Rock truck driver At Hollinger\Pamour\Dome (Former Employee) –  timmins on3 April 2017
They favour men over women, the management is very young, no work ethic.
Middle management is pretty good, but they look you in the eye and lie.
Lower management is all about cutting each others throats.
Cons
Lack of knowledgable management
working environment was very good hours of work where very good
PARTS COUNTER/NIGHT SECURITY (Former Employee) –  Azilda, ON14 March 2017
Was shift work 12 hour shifts 2 weeks days and 2 weeks nights had a long weekend every other weekend benefits where good and also pension plan . Crew i worked on was very enjoyable to work with the salary and the hours of work and no advancement was the reason for leaving this employer
Pros
working enviroment
Cons
long hours when on night shifts, no advancement
Sexist, chauvinistic, male-dominated, dead end job.
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON2 March 2017
You go where they tell you and do what they tell you. If you do that, with no questions asked and no delay, maybe you'll get to keep your job. It also helps if you're in one of the family cliques. To their credit they do employ women, though most are in a clerical position.
Get the experience then get out.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON10 January 2017
Not worth the time management is horrible trucks should be scraped only good is pay n hours if you get in other then that working for then is cross you're fingers and hope to not die in there horrid trucks or heavy equipment.
Pros
Hours and pay
Cons
Useless management and equipment
productive work place
Labourer, operator (Former Employee) –  Levack, ON30 December 2016
Typical day of work was safety meetings in the morning and operating either a skid steer or loader. The co-workers were great here they were helpful if you needed it and turned a bad day into a good day. Most of the supervisors there made you feel that they cared about you and that you weren't just a number.
Pros
activites outside of work
Cons
Long hours in the winter.
Rock Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON14 November 2016
I loved working at this place it was all about safety. Good people to work with and great equipment. It was a nice place to work and would highly recommend

Ask a question about working or interviewing at William Day Construction. Our community is ready to answer.

William Day Construction Reviews by Location