Wilfrid Laurier University Employee Reviews

Productive and work hours are flexible
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 November 2017
I can work to my own flexibility and independence is a great value one can get from this work experience. The hardest part of this job is keeping yourself engaged and not slack off from the flexibility and freedom you get.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Great school
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 November 2017
I completed my undergraduate here and it was a great place to work and apply my knowledge. Professors were really knowledgeable and helpful in career planning.
Productive and relaxed work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 October 2017
A typical day at work was spent teaching people from a preset lesson plan from my supervisor. I learned how to properly communicate and inspire people for the sake of educating them. I had many helpful fellow teachers in the courses I assisted and it was overall a relaxed and yet productive work environment.
Collaborative Workplace But Room for Improvement
Arts Laurier Council Advisor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 October 2017
The ResEd department has effective collaboration skills and elements but there could be improvements on inclusivity and programming.

Throughout my years of working there, I noticed a divide between many employees and the groups that form from working there. If you are not part of a group, or are an "outcast" it will show in the way you are treated.
Enjoyable
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 September 2017
Fun place to work while at school.
Enjoyable atmosphere, where you can be apart of a team dynamic. Work load is easy and the goal is to reach out to alumni
Fun work space
Club President (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 September 2017
Working with clubs was a fun way to get involved and meet people with the same interest and passion as you. However planning events and or meetings can be tedious and at times difficult due to the number of different paths that they require you to follow. Making events could be easier.
Pros
Fun met new people
Cons
Hard to plan events
Contract faculty get treated this way everywhere.
Contract Faculty (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 September 2017
WLU is not unlike other universities and colleges that I know. My friends and colleagues experience similar challenges and limitations when they work as contract faculty at other places.

As a contract faculty member the benefits, salary and job security are very limited. Job culture varies from department to department. The best part of teaching under these conditions is the interaction with students.
Great place to work!
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 August 2017
I really enjoyed my time working here. I worked with many students and lead/facilitated numerous courses and areas of mathematics including Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Statistics.
Tasking
ICT Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON29 July 2017
This position allowed me to get valuable experience while interacting with both the Laurier community. Help setting up technical facilities within the classroom enabled me to try my hands on most of the hardware components around campus
Productive and Fun Workplace
Radio Show Host (Current Employee) –  202 Regina Street21 June 2017
The company, Arts Laurier, is a student run company connected to Wilfrid Laurier Waterloo campus. The workplace is relaxed yet still very productive due to its management style. As a company it has many pros such as meeting underground artists and getting to know people who are creating such beautiful art. However, the only con to this would be the clarity of what is needed from each employee.
Bulk Barn- It had its moments, but overall turned out disappointing
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON14 June 2017
Working here was like riding a wave sometimes, things were never consistent. For starters, they put me at the cash register on my first day on the job without any prior training and told me to tell customers that I was in training and to "just have patience". After a few weeks of trial and error, for lack of a better expression, they told me that I was ready to do stock. Again, they did not train me and just expected that I already knew where everything was and how it all worked. The work place was always hectic, even when the store was empty I still found myself running all over the place trying to get everything done. Then there were days where nothing needed to be done (or so it seemed) and management would say nothing but then single you out later in the week for something that they did not clarify. Overall, I would recommend against working here mainly because of management. Not that the work was hard, the labour itself was not at all intensive. The most enjoyable part was leaving bulk barn for good.
Pros
free leftovers
Cons
management, poor hours, poor income
Wlu
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 May 2017
great place to work, really professional and great hours. marked students papers, held offices hours. Read the material for the classes that i was a teaching assistant for.
Pros
proper pay
A Very Good Undergraduate Experience
Music Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 May 2017
I went to Wilfrid Laurier University for my undergraduate degree in music. I thoroughly enjoyed it, made many friends along the way, and was thoroughly enriched and improved as a musician and as a person. The atmosphere at Laurier was always welcoming, and I always felt comfortable asking questions and seeking extra help.
Work environment stimulated growth and productivity
Customer Service Representative-Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 April 2017
Working at the Wilfrid Laurier bookstore was a tremendous opportunity, that many students do not get to receive. I learned a lot from my experience there.
Good
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 April 2017
Time management is a big play when it comes to working for Postmates. Having to be out there at certain times when its really busy in order to score in a lot more money. With all the biking we do in this job, its very comforting to know that I am keeping my body in perfect shape. There wasn't really anything for me to complain about. I enjoy my experience working for Postmates.
Great work environment
Student Theatre Technician/Stage Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 April 2017
My workplace doesn't leave its employees to fail. They are constantly assisting and teaching, to ensure that their employees are well-trained. Very flexible hours, to fit students' individual schedules.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Short hours
A job
Theory Tutor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 April 2017
Professors need to assign tutors to students struggling in music theory earlier in the semester, not a couple weeks before finals. Can't be of much help when someone is so far under the level they should be at.
Need to investigate more efficient ways of logging hours.
Pros
you make your own hours
Cons
you don't get many students
Enjoyable work setting
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 April 2017
Standard RA position but will vary on department and project. I worked in the geography department which had excellent resources and people to work with.
Achieve the set goal
Customer Service and Facilities Attendant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 March 2017
Setting up for events and rentals that occur also helping regular membership users with any customer needs they might have.

Laurier is a great company to work for because I also go to school here and it is very flexible to student hours.
Pros
Free Pizza at meetings
Cons
Lots of sitting
Director of Information Systems (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 March 2017
Lots of diversity. Opportunity to expand your education. People are very friendly. Great working conditions. Benefits are good. It is a growing organization.