Wilfrid Laurier University Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Microbial Ecology Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 June 2018
I love working at Wilfrid Laurier University, the sense of community is great. The people are friendly and inclusive. The atmosphere is very casual and laid back.
Great Place to grow and learn
Supervisor, Team Lead, Calling Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 June 2018
Great availability of student jobs, provided lots of opportunities to grow and learn within the positions offered. worked around your class schedule so you could work and learn
Student Job
Referee-In-Chief (RIC) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 June 2018
I worked at Laurier for four years and loved every moment of it. The staff were incredible and really supported any decisions you wanted to make regarding the league you ran.
Leading youth
Support to the lead counselor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 May 2018
I learned leadership skills and how to plan activities and crafts. Part of my training involved mentorship of youth and how to be a good example. I enjoyed the training opportunities in this volunteer position.
Productive and enjoyable
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 May 2018
Typical day including attending classes, working with students, answering emails from students and working alongside the course professor. I found the workload was reasonable but it can be difficult when extensive marking must be done.
Productive workplace
Social Media Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 April 2018
Wilfird Laurier University is an affable working environment and high-quality training. The community and public affair department creates lots of great content to attract new students and improve recruiting.
rewarding job with opportunity to give back
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 April 2018
In this job, I was able to give back to students in the same position that I had once been in. I taught lessons to the students and then helped them with assignments for the lab section or reviewed course material with them.
Pros
Bonus pay for marking hours
Cons
repetitive
Great management, slow pace
Wilfrid Laurier Residence Life Don (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 April 2018
Working for GAP was a lot of fun, and the management was great, however the work environment was often slow paced, with the occasional busy holiday rush. Made for the shifts to go by slowly and the enjoyment of going to work to fade.
Good
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 April 2018
More student benefits needed. being a graduate student is great, there are tons of work spaces and the laboratory has all the equipment I need to complete my research.
Great deal of experience with debugging
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 April 2018
It is great working with students, you learn a lot by fixing other people's mistakes and it generally reinforces your understanding of the subject. I would recommend working as a TA at this university.
Fun workplace, yet stressful environment at times
Residence Life Staff Member (Don) (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON11 April 2018
Very valuable experience with my time here, and I continue to work for the university for the years to come. There are some stressful aspects to the position I worked, mainly revolving around mental-health of first year students.
I was a student
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 April 2018
I was a student here and worked in a number of labs as summer research assistant. Good way to get experience in academic labs. The pay is minimal but it is also a good way to get reference letters.
fun
Orientation Week Leader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 April 2018
this was a great opportunity to meet great people, and get out of your comfort zone. helps develop skills such as communication, time management, organization, and team work.
Gain experience in becoming a professor
Proctor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 March 2018
This workplace is a great experience for students that are trying to learn more, and become a professor or teacher in the future.I learned to always be strict and point out if we ever see any cheating on exams.
Just Awful
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 March 2018
They do not care for the vulnerable and marginalized folks who work for them or attend the school. Just awful. They are far more concerned with the bottom dollar and making sure to not upset straight white cis people than attend to the issues trans*, racialized and other marginalized folks face on a daily basis.
Okay school
Annual Giving Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 March 2018
nothing so great the university has grown since i was there and many new courses offered i wish there was more guidance support esp for the 1st and 2nd year
Great roll to be self reliant
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 March 2018
Duty rolls include marking, data entry, assisting in student learning, lab prep and take down. A lot of the work done is by yourself, but the lab coordinator is always there to help if you ever need it.
Fun workplace to build relationships and branch out of your comfort zone
Residence Life Don (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 February 2018
I love the environment that is created and allows individuals to open up in. Great experience for future employment opportunities. Allows for future career options within the field.
Enjoyable workplace for students
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 February 2018
The paid work experience through WLU is accommodating for graduate students. The atmosphere is not stressful are there are a plethora of outlets where you can receive additional help if needed.
Learning Assistant
Learning Assistant Mentor (Former Employee) –  Learning Services6 January 2018
A great student job with learning services. I was able to balance my class workload and the requirements of the job. I received positive feedback regularly and was able to help develop the role.